[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Bulk Meme
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6
>Where were you when you realized that bulking is a scam?
>That bulking is unnecessary?
>That you can simultaneously gain muscle and lose fat on a 500 calorie deficit so long as you aren't an extremely advanced bodybuilder?

http://www.researchgate.net/publication/51113664_Effect_of_two_different_weight-loss_rates_on_body_composition_and_strength_and_power-related_performance_in_elite_athletes
>>
Is that you in the pic? lol, not trying to offend you, but the gains you've made in muscle mass are bad for 8 months (like 5-10lbs in 8 months as a novice?), especially considering your height.

You're lean I guess, but I think I remember you said you weighed like 150lbs and have a 200 pound bench after nearly a year... cmon dude. CMON. Just eat big, get big.
>>
>>35070518
That's not me in the pic. I went back to the archived CBT from a week ago and pasted his pics into my MS paint document.

The study has an even greater example of lean mass gains on a cut- the SR (slow reduction group) who were on an average deficit of 700 calories, gained an average of 0.25 pounds of LBM per week during the 9 week trial.
These were college athletes with prior experience, not novices like HobbitBrah.
>>
>>35070581
SOOOOOOOOO SKINNY
>>
Nice autistic chart bro. n=11.. whatever the fuck that means. Just eat big to get big, okay? Add a little more weight to the bar next time. Small physique in the pics.
>>
>>35070652
>n=11
That is the number of participants in that group of the study.

>>35070596
I am skinny too, but I'm not the guy depicted in my image.
I'm another manlet, except 5'8", who is slightly lighter, less lean by 3%, and has 10 lbs higher on bench press and 30-50 higher on squat and deadlift.
The difference is I have been lifting for 1.5 years and ran track and field for several years in high school.
I'm also going to walk on my university's track team in 2016 for sprints.

I am currently cutting down to 10% bodyfat
>>
>>35070518
You should note something on the guy's weight loss graph, which is that he didn't start lifting until August, and didn't start doing compound movements until late October.

He has gained 3.5 pounds of LBM in 4.5 months while on a calorie deficit.
>>
Well, clearly you could experience more gains with a mild caloric surplus say 250.
i think cutting is a valid choice for some skinnyfat beginner lifters, or really fat but muscular more advanced lifters
>>
>>35070466
I was in 2011.
>>
When you eat your carbs is more of a factor than anything. Look up carb back-loading.

I HAVE increased strength/hypertrophy while gaining weight WHILE keeping nearly the same body fat%
>>
>>35071614
I don't know what the fuck carb back-loading is, but eating (everything, not just carbs) in a 4-6 hours window before sleep is optimal for me. Tons of energy, good sleep, gains and fat loss.
>>
File: IMG_4149.jpg (137 KB, 366x488) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4149.jpg
137 KB, 366x488
>>35071614
I've heard of carb cycling.
Intermittent fasting is good too, and for me at least, it's more doable. I have trouble doing low carb days so I keep my carbs roughly the same

There is a big difference though between gaining muscle + small amounts of fat, as you did, and losing massive amounts of fat while simultaneously gaining decent amounts of muscle, which is why I made this thread

>>35071642
that's what I do too. Held off eating on Thanksgiving for a whole 21 hours, then had a whole 2400 calories in one meal
>>
>>35070466
>using a study that has people with fucking sub 2 plate 1rm on their squat
>meaningful in anyway
Your picture is pretty pathetic too, I can barely see any changes between the two. If you wanna be dyel for ever just keep eating at a deficit, if you actually want to progress at a decent rate just eat 100-300 cals above maintenance.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (36 KB, 892x237) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
36 KB, 892x237
>>35071668
The pictures of the guy in the lower right are taken over a 4 week period.
If you look at this thread,

I actually heartily agree with eating 100-300 above maintenance, but if you're above 15 you should really cut so you don't look like shit

>>35019148
>>
>>35070466
Can someone briefly explain this shit? I am very dumb.
>>
>>35071724
The graph on the bottom tracks the cutting progress of the guy shown on the bottom right.

He has gained 4 pounds of muscle while losing 9 pounds of fat over the last 8 months.

The upper right shows a graph taken from a study where 24 college athletes were put on a strength training regimen and diet for 5-10 weeks.
The study shows that the group who lost weight at a slower rate, 0.7 kilos per week, was able to actually gain muscle, a whole kilogram, over a 9 week period.
The group who lost weight at a faster rate of 1.1 kilos per week lost a large amount of fat, but had no change in muscle mass, over a 5-6 week period.

The point is, so long as you're a relatively new lifter, you can gain plenty of muscle while on a sharp cut. The people in this study all lost about 6-7% body fat which is quite a lot to lose in only 9 weeks.
>>
File: 1439503723715.jpg (254 KB, 2048x1362) Image search: [Google]
1439503723715.jpg
254 KB, 2048x1362
>>35071813
Thank you.

The takeaway: cut to a bodyfat you're comfortable with then slow bulk on a small surplus. Is that correct?
>>
>>35071834
Yes, that's correct.
This is all just advice, at the end of the day.

Do whatever the FUCK you wanna do.
>>
>>35071834

well that's not fucking fair

he should have to lift it with his body
>>
>>35072245
are you telling me you're anti-mutant you bigot?
>>
>>35070466
>BACNE
Mirin gains tho
>>
>intermittent fast works best
>no, carb back load
>meal timing
>macro balancing
>reverse eating

I just want to fucking gain muscle at a decent pace without getting fat. How fucking hard does this shit have to be?
>>
>>35073598
Carb back loading is just carb cycling, combined with an intermittent fasting cyclical keto diet.

that's all you can do to influence what you want to do. Or roid.
>>
File: carb back load skin fold.png (198 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
carb back load skin fold.png
198 KB, 1680x1050
>>35073613
Here's what you can expect
>>
File: Bf % CBL.png (211 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
Bf % CBL.png
211 KB, 1680x1050
>>35073623
My results were similar to these 2 pics.
>>
>>35071062
>3.5 lbs of lbm in 4.5 months
If that's true then that's EXACTLY why you don't do recomps. We know they can be done, but we know they're much slower than bulk/cut cycles. With a proper slow bulk you can put on 2 lbs of lbm a month with almost no fat providing you're doing cardio and it is indeed only a 2-300 calorie surplus.

Bulk/cut is far more efficient, you won't get huge doing a recomp either.
>>
What if I want to get bigger? I'm 5'9 115lbs, why should I care if I can gain strength on a deficit?
>>
>>35073636
Also I'd like to point out that this is no way suggests you should not bulk. It's a study that shows with enough protein, you can gain lbm on a CUT. Not the first of its kind, either. This further supports you should bulk and cut instead of sitting at maintenance.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.