[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can you get to Shia levels with dumbbells?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5
File: Body_Coach_Dumbbell_set_10_kg.jpg (111 KB, 1200x743) Image search: [Google]
Body_Coach_Dumbbell_set_10_kg.jpg
111 KB, 1200x743
Can you?

What's better/worse about bar bells?

Why are these things called bells at all? Bar, I get, but dumb?
>>
Not one damn answer.
>>
>>35068052
you can do everything with dumbells that you can do with barbells, but some movements never as well and you also generally get an asymetric inbalance
>>
no f.a.m you need a gym
>>
>>35068052
Shut up! We're all shitposting stupid.
>>
>>35068052
>Shia levels
idk what this means
>what's better/worse about bar bells
nothing per se but barbell movements are more likely to be compound, and compound > isolation
>Why are these things called bells at all?
They go ding when you drop them.
>Bar, I get, but dumb?
Doing isolation movements is dumb.
>>
>>35068842
Shia LaBeouf i'm assuming
>>
I'd guess that they're called that because a common mold for casting a heavy thing in the olde days would have been a bell mold. A smith would be likely to have them in various sizes unlike other things i can imagine. They'd probably just pour lead in there or whatever and attach the shits to a rod without the dingy banger inside so they'd be 'dumb' or silent.
>>
>>35068810
>but some movements never as well and you also generally get an asymetric inbalance

I heard the opposite. DB don't allow you to rest on one arm more than the other, whereas BB does.

How do you get imbalance with DB?
>>
>>35068813

>blowing 3000 dollars a year on a gym

No.

>>35068842
>idk what this means

I want to get to Shia LaBeouf's level as my first goal.

>>35068842
>nothing per se but barbell movements are more likely to be compound, and compound > isolation

Why is compound better if I do several exercises instead of one? Example: curls and military presses. Why is it better to do both movements as one, rather than as two separate sets?

>They go ding when you drop them.

I never drop them. I work out at home.

>Doing isolation movements is dumb.

You can do compounds with them as well.
>>
>>35068864
>A smith would be likely to have them in various sizes unlike other things i can imagine.

Based thinking.
>>
>>35068909
>getting to shia mode

lel of course not, and with those legs he shouldn't even be your inspiration dude. just get a pull up bar, its far more fun to do bodyweight training compared to barbell training and probably much more effective too man.
>>
>>35068909
Why is compound better if I do several exercises instead of one?
Because it saves time and you get more funkshunal strenkth. Google "compounds vs isolation". The other two were jokes.
>>
>>35068969
>lel of course not, and with those legs he shouldn't even be your inspiration dude. just get a pull up bar, its far more fun to do bodyweight training compared to barbell training and probably much more effective too man.

Any way to do this at home without the doorframe shit? My doors have thin frames. I have a sort of inner balcony from which I can tie ropes.
>>
>>35068973
>Because it saves time and you get more funkshunal strenkth.

I'm down on saving time.
>>
>>35068988
unless the wood is rotten yeah, no problem at all. my pull up bar has done shit to the door frame. I weigh about 158lbs btw.
>>
>>35068882
By not having the proper form 100% down. Especially for DB pressing.
>>
>>35069069
>By not having the proper form 100% down. Especially for DB pressing.

Alrighty then, I'm anal about form. I never do a rep without proper form. If I can't, I stop.
>>
>>35069101
As long as you have it down, go for it.
>>
>>35069004
I weigh 300 lbs
>>
QUESTION

While doing behind the head pressed, two hands on DB, going down behind head, should I keep my elbows immobile or can I spread them out? It makes it easier but on tutorials they keep elbows locked, and that hurts my joints.

>if you can tell me the name of that, would be cool
>>
>>35069196
Pls don't behind-the-neck press unless you've had a sports medicine doctor or a very experienced personal trainer say that you have the right body type for it.
Just standard press it or Arny press it.
Pressing behind the head is a bad idea for the majority of the population.
Injury isn't worth it.
>>
>>35069262
>Pls don't behind-the-neck press unless you've had a sports medicine doctor or a very experienced personal trainer say that you have the right body type for it.
>Just standard press it or Arny press it.
>Pressing behind the head is a bad idea for the majority of the population.
>Injury isn't worth it.

But how do I work them back biceps?
>>
>>35069289
>back biceps
>back biceps
back biceps
What do you mean?
There are two heads of the biceps, the long head and the anchor head.
>>
>>35069325

I mean traps.
>>
>>35069329
Shrugs, and back exercises.
>>
They're called dumb bells because they were originally intended to mimic the movements of bell ringers, who developed a lot of upper body strength from pulling heavy bells several times a day seven days a week. Look it up.
>>
File: 8029620.jpg (12 KB, 250x421) Image search: [Google]
8029620.jpg
12 KB, 250x421
This is the exercise I mean.
>>
File: 11f.jpg (60 KB, 500x688) Image search: [Google]
11f.jpg
60 KB, 500x688
>>35068864
based thinking right here
no sarcasm bro srs this has me impressed
>>
>>35069356
I wonder what those olde exercises looked like. Something to look up.

>>35068052
There are exercises you can do, but squats are at best ridiculously awkward. As a result the posterior chain never gets hit as hard. Also the great standard plate dumbbell vs olympic plate barbell rages on. I would recommend getting olympic plates whatever, there are olympic plate dumbbells but they're a bit weird
>>
File: colemanyoungaesthetic.jpg (115 KB, 459x601) Image search: [Google]
colemanyoungaesthetic.jpg
115 KB, 459x601
>>35069183
nigga you weight 300 pounds but don't powerlift on /fit/? read the sticky bro and follow the righteous path of cuts and striations
>>
>>35069004
It depends on the door jamb. On mine the wooden wossnames that stick out are just nailed on for aesthetics and aren't structural in the slightest.

What I've done is got a thickish plank of wood and stuck it across the loft/attic hatch and stuck some straps up.
>>
File: 1447287162424.png (542 KB, 661x581) Image search: [Google]
1447287162424.png
542 KB, 661x581
>>35069390
REPLY TO YOUR POSTS BOIII
dammnn you have us thinking you're doing BTN press, one way ticket to shoulder impingement.
>>35069390
>>35069347
>>35069329
>>35069289
>>35069196
these are all your posts I'm assuming. The photo you posted is called french press and it works triceps brah, idk where you got traps from, but the form is that you have both arms on the weight (or use two dumbbells for more symmetrical action), place it behind your neck, and bring it up while keeping your elbows immobile, just focus on flexing that tricep to bring the weight up. BTN press is A WHOLE different thing, military press BEHIND the neck, which as uncomfortable as it sounds, can fuck your shit up.

Overall french press is more isolation and it's just an accessory exercise. To really work triceps just do skull crushers, close grip bench press, and dips brah. Traps are hit pretty hard with deadlifts and The Press, but growing your traps/delts/upper pecs is a long and hard journey if you're natty.
>>
>>35068052
Yes

believe you can, and work at it everyday and you could surpass him....the student will then become teacher sensai
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.