[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are carbs essential for healthy test levels? Why is keto so popular?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 11
File: complex-carbohydrates.jpg (41 KB, 320x251) Image search: [Google]
complex-carbohydrates.jpg
41 KB, 320x251
Are carbs essential for healthy test levels?

Why is keto so popular?
>>
Keto is so popular because eating a shit ton of eggs and bacon sounds appealing. However, it's a bad diet. Plants contain a LOT more nutrients than animals products do.
>>
>>35059924

I have a co-worker convincing me that cars are unhealthy. but I thought carbs were essential for test production, and keto was what your body does when it's starving. doesnt keto also increase stress levels?
>>
File: night.png (157 KB, 424x362) Image search: [Google]
night.png
157 KB, 424x362
>>35059958

*carbs are unhealthy

keto sounds appealing but I don't want my dick to stop working
>>
File: b8trickdeluxe.png (175 KB, 400x215) Image search: [Google]
b8trickdeluxe.png
175 KB, 400x215
>>35059691
>keto
>>
>>35059691
Because most Westerners eat way too many carbs, and everything else.

By cutting carbs (especially excess sugar and starches) on a keto diet, they see a dramatic weight loss in a short amount of time.

In reality, it's usually water loss and it helps to get them into a caloric deficit that they weren't in before.
>>
Keto is dumb but every diet should be low carb (less than 150g of Carbs a day).
>>
Keto is the better of a bad situation for the regular mouth breathing 99% who's idea of going to the gym is watching tv on the treadmill for 20mins and going home. It works to lose weight because its fairly retard proof. It doesnt really do as well for bodybuilding or powerlifting. Best to workout what kind of macro split works best for you body through a long period of trial and error.
>>
File: 1439780738388.jpg (158 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
1439780738388.jpg
158 KB, 720x960
>>35059691
>Why is keto so popular?

Because it works and /fit/ is the worst possible place to ask about anything fit related ironically enough
>>
Stay away from sugar and starches, but eat a lot of vegetables such as cauliflower and broccoli every day with your meals.
>>
>>35062030
lol this
>>
Yes.
>>
>>35062030
If doge in wrapping paper then doge is food.
Eat doge for lunch. Keto approved.
>>
>>35059691
Carbs are not essential for healthy test levels, fat intake is primarily saturated and unsaturated fats. In fact, carbs aren't essential for anything you can be perfectly healthy without eating a single one
>>
>>35064099
fat intake is, in particular saturated and unsaturated fats*
>>
>>35059691
Fuck keto.
Paleo is the way to go. Cave man style appeal to my /fit/ autism and bear mode goal.
>tfw my cheat meal is fruit binges.
>>
>>35061626
>Westerners eat way too many carbs
Westerners eat way too much fat
>inb4 muh eskimos
>>
>>35059691
No that's fats
>>
>>35061626
>In reality, it's usually water loss and it helps to get them into a caloric deficit that they weren't in before.
Eh no.
Former fatty here. Carbs were my problem. I have activated genes which reacts to carbs, so dieting with carbs only brought me from whale to fat/chubby level. When I got off the carbs I got normal. Didn't change the calorie amount just switched out carbs with proteins and fat.

I find it pretty repulsive that land whales use the carb excuse, because even if it is a real problem, carbs issues alone will not get you to that level. They fuck up the real carb problem with their excuses.
>>
File: GvdI7z.jpg (106 KB, 1039x1191) Image search: [Google]
GvdI7z.jpg
106 KB, 1039x1191
>>35064178
typical westerners consume too much of everything

I'm sure he was talking about misconceptions about a "healthy" diet
>>
>>35064217
Holy momscience
>>
>>35064391
What?
>>
>>35064217
> i have activated genes
>>
>>35059691
Carbs aren't necessary, period. They're useful though.
>>
>>35064217
I believe you, but the reason why you think it worked is wrong. The real reason is that cutting carbs leads to more stable blood sugar levels and therefore makes you eat less.

I think keto is taking it to the extreme, but low-carb is objectively the best way to cut.
>>
>>35064405
Yes.. Go to college, and then well talk, yes? Or at least google it you airhead. We're not talking almonds here.
>>
>>35064405
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulation_of_gene_expression
>>
>>35064432
not him
youre retarded
>thinking google gets good sources
>not knowing examine.com
>blaming genes & carbs for fatness
>not making it ever
>>
Ketard thought process
>lol eating cholesterol doesn't effect blood cholesterol
>but you shouldn't eat a low cholesterol diet because then you'll get low cholesterol and fuck up your homones, and become depressed, and get cancer
>>
>>35064428
Activated and non-activated genes are reality, but I have no problems with seeing blood sugar as a contributing factor to my personal success. Fitness and weight depend on a lot of factors.
>>
>>35064477
>>but you shouldn't eat a low cholesterol diet because then you'll get low cholesterol and fuck up your homones, and become depressed, and get cancer
your logic lacks logic:
eating cholesterol doesnt effect ldl levels (the bad cholesterol levels) however cholesterol consumption (more: deficiency) and saturated fatty acid deficiency can impair testosterone production since it is needed to synthesize testosterone
on the other hand carbs and energy balance make more of a difference for testosterone. it will decline while dieting anyways
>>
File: 1425428758528.jpg (245 KB, 681x1024) Image search: [Google]
1425428758528.jpg
245 KB, 681x1024
>>35064217

>They fuck up the real carb problem with their excuses.
>>
>>35064217
>I have activated genes which reacts to carbs
Did you conclude this from a low carb diet being effective for you? If you mean some of your genes have been epigenetically enhanced where they are normally silenced in other people, I would like to know how you know this. If the only reason is the effectiveness of your low carb diet, it is not a very sound concusion.
>>
>>35064462
I did make it, and I lost a lot of weight on carbs too, just not enough to get a normal BMI. When I checked my genes through a blood test, my doctor recommended dropping carbs. It worked. And like I mentioned above, no change in calorie intake, just carb intake.

Google scholar can give you good answers as long as you are critical to your sources.
>>
>>35064511
>checked my genes through a blood test
You went to the doctor for fat loss and he asked for a blood sample to sequence your DNA?
Seems pretty unorthodox
>>
>>35064541
The blood sample was sent to the university hospital in the capital where they do gene research. I am a part of their current study now.
>>
>>35064556
Could you tell me the name of the study or what it is about? Not busting your balls, genuinely interested
>>
>>35064556

k
>>
>>35064511
I just don't understand why you care about the BMI. It's a retarded metric that don't consider body composition.
>>
>>35064582
Oslo University hospital. Don't know the name of the study unfortunately, but it is about gene activation. Main study is about genes related to cancer, but they have a side project where they work on genes related to food/diet (kosthold) and that's the one I'm involved with.
>>
>>35059691
>Are carbs essential for healthy test levels?
I don't know about test, but they're essential for nutrition and normal metabolism.

>Why is keto so popular?
Because people is fucking retarded.
>>
>>35064599
This is true, but I was fat. BMI is my doctors way of telling me I'm a fatty.
>>
>>35064099
>carbs aren't essential for anything you can be perfectly healthy without eating a single one

My god, you're retarded. I bet you also do crossfit.
>>
>>35062621
IMHO this is the best way to eat. period. Eat more to bulk, eat less to cut, eat as many types of fibrous vegetables as you can.
>>
No fats are essential for healthy test levels. Look up avacados. They are literally called natures testicles.
>>
File: Pete-Evans.jpg (34 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
Pete-Evans.jpg
34 KB, 480x640
>>35064217
>activated genes
>>
>>35064987
>They are called natures testicles.
Like I needed more reasons to eat avocados.
>>
File: 1448657113112.jpg (166 KB, 500x642) Image search: [Google]
1448657113112.jpg
166 KB, 500x642
My gf and I have been on Keto for about 2 months now. We get most of our calories from coconut oil/grass-fed animal fat, and most of our carbs from leafy vegetables. Keto has always worked well for me, but it's really doing miracles for my gf. She's lost a bunch of weight, and the keto+squats are definitelly shaping DAT ASS.
>>
>keto is unhealthy
no it's not

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2716748/
>>
why are literally all ketofags dyel?
and why do they tell me my high carb low fat diet is bad even though I've been healthy all my life?
>>
>>35062030
You'd be better off asking /fa/
>>
File: StCgryF.jpg (991 KB, 2600x2061) Image search: [Google]
StCgryF.jpg
991 KB, 2600x2061
Both keto and high carb diets are dangerous for different reasons.

As a diabetic, ketosis usually results when I don't take my insulin and/or eat far too much sugar, my body freaks out and produces ketones which I piss out to survive. Anyone trying to induce the same by diet is simply put, retarded.

The problem is that people confuse the keto diet with a sensible low carb diet, which undoubtedly is generally healthier for you because on a low carb diet A. You probably consume a wider range of vegetables, seeds and foods in general and B. You're probably eating almost no refined sugar and almost no nutrientless foods.

As for why it's popular, fad diets have been coming and going for over a century, trends and fads are a part of human nature.
>>
>>35061626

> Westerners eat way too many carbs,

Compared to who? Easterners eat even more carbs than the west. Westerners are known for their high-fat diets, not high carbs.
>>
>>35064099

>carbs aren't essential for anything you can be perfectly healthy without eating a single one

Keto itself is a medical condition that's cured by eating carbohydrates
>>
>>35064428

>cutting carbs leads to more stable blood sugar levels and therefore makes you eat less.

But carbs can improve your blood sugar levels. That's one of the major benefits of eating whole grain foods like oats and barley.
>>
>>35064495

>eating cholesterol doesnt effect ldl levels (the bad cholesterol levels)

Yes it does

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/55/6/1060.full.pdf

>cholesterol consumption (more: deficiency) and saturated fatty acid deficiency can impair testosterone production since it is needed to synthesize testosterone

There's no such thing as dietary cholesterol or saturated fat deficiency

http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=10490&page=422
http://www.nap.edu/read/10490/chapter/11
>>
>>35065382
Not him, I'm the diabetic from here
>>35065316

but you don't seem to understand that all foods become glucose/carbohydrates, regardless of where they come from. Carbs cannot improve or mess up your bloodsugar levels unless you're diabetic or have a fucked pancreas or liver, though you can affect them over the long term.

I think what you're trying to say is that low GI foods like oats and barley are better than high GI foods like sugar and pasta, but if you're not fat or alcoholic and don't eat processed shit every day it's not really a factor.
>>
>>35065422

>Carbs cannot improve or mess up your bloodsugar levels unless you're diabetic or have a fucked pancreas or liver, though you can affect them over the long term.

Quickly digesting carbs can cause highs and lows in blood sugar in anyone. I don't know where you're getting that all carbs affect your blood sugar the same unless you're diabetic.
>>
>>35065476
and sugar travels through the blood in the same manner in everyone. High blood sugar isn't an issue unless you're diabetic or have a fucked pancreas or liver.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say
>>
>>35065500

>High blood sugar isn't an issue unless you're diabetic or have a fucked pancreas or liver.

If you don't want to become diabetic or have a fucked pancrease or liver, high blood sugar isn't a good thing to have. Not just high blood sugar though, high blood sugar usually leads to low blood sugar soon after. The constant hyper and hypoglycemia are what that guy was talking about with stable blood sugar levels
>>
>>35065316
>As a diabetic
stopped reading there
>>
>>35064614
Fellow Norwegian here. Can you link me a paper or a link or whatever to the study? Thanks in advance.
>>
>>35065557
None of those things are facilitated by high blood sugar, otherwise anyone who ever ate refined flour or sugar would now be diabetic or have a shot liver.

High blood sugar doesn't lead to low blood sugar soon after, again you're probably thinking of a diabetic case study where 9/10 of us injected too much fast acting insulin. Even in those cases there's no difference from regular bloodsugar levels.

>>35065559
Type 1, I'm not one of the fat old fucks. But then this is /fit/ where misconception and not knowing what you're talking about seems to be an advantage
>>
>>35064999
>homemade coconut

also checked
>>
>>35059691
Fats are essential for test levels, not carbs.

Low carb is the best way to get lean. It just works.
>>
>>35064650
He's right.

You can follow a keto diet and be fine. Try doing zero protein, or zero fat and see what happens to you.
>>
File: 1432724756686[1].jpg (7 KB, 250x241) Image search: [Google]
1432724756686[1].jpg
7 KB, 250x241
>carbs aren't essential for life so don't eat them, just eat fat and protein
>>how much fat and protein is essential and what specific kinds?
>who cares, just eat whatever you want as long as it's not carbs
>>
>>35065196

Don't take this study out of context. It was a weight loss trial on obese people over 24 weeks, where weight loss alone by any means would show improvements in bloodwork. By the end of the 24 weeks, nobody in the study was anywhere near what we could call healthy, they were just better off, atleast as far as biomarkers can show, than they were at the start when they were fatter with more sugar in their diet. You'd need very low standards of health to take it to mean that keto is a healthy diet.
>>
>>35059691
Carbs on Workout days
No carbs on non workout days

Pretty easy desu
>>
>>35059691
The real reason keto is considered a good diet is because it does a good job of eliminating foods that are processed and drenched in pesticides and other agricultural chemicals. There's really nothing to it though, you can achieve the same thing simply by avoiding non organic food options whenever possible. It's true that most people in developed countries, especially america, eat too many carbs, but it's because they can't put down the cola and have to have sugar, candy, and snacks with and between every meal. Again, simply by avoiding the processed junk and eating whole organic foods is probably actually healthier. Steel cut oats is still the king of breakfast, and it's forbidden by most versions of the keto diet, for absolutely no scientific reason at all. They just assume that because the chemical drenched processed grains are bad for you that all grains are bad, but this is not the case. Bread itself is even still good for you, but if you're buying the generic cheap bread it's not the same thing.
>>
>>35066805
you're wrongly assuming keto has more in common with a healthy diet than with a religion
>>
>>35059691
Fats are more of a more requirement for healthy hormone levels than carbs. Both play a role, of course. But you can get away with no carbs, test is destroyed without fat though.
>>
>>35064999
Beat me to it.
>>
>>35066967
good luck eliminating enough fats from your diet for it to make a difference in testosterone production
protip: your body makes like 10-30mg of test a day
>>
>>35066989
So much stupid in one post.
>>
>>35067038
So much knowledge in one post.
>>
>>35067049
Is it my responsibility to educate idiots like you? No thanks champ. Especially someone who thinks they know what they're talking about. I know this is /fit/ and you probably don't even lift, but try and not be a shit cunt your whole life.
>>
>>35061648
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHSHÀAAAAAAAA
>>
>>35065359
>Sugar, in everything
>>
>>35067063
it's your responsibility to explain why someone's wrong if you have already bothered to disagree and insult them. otherwise you're making yourself sound like a 12 year old
>>
Complex carbs are good for you and test. Simple carbs are bad for you.
>>
>>35066805

>The real reason keto is considered a good diet

By nobody outside of a small minority on /fit/

>it's true that most people in developed countries, especially america, eat too many carbs

Let's stop saying "carbs" when we mean refined sugar and processed grains. America doesn't eat too many carbs, they eat poor quality carbs.

>simply by avoiding the processed junk and eating whole organic foods is probably actually healthier.

That sounds good on paper, but when "whole organic foods" means a bunch of fatty meats, eggs, cheese, etc for the bulk of your calories while arbitrarily avoiding whole grains, fruits, and beans, there's nothing that can make that sort of diet healthy. It's avoiding one terrible food group to eat more of another terrible food group, while also avoiding a lot of healthy foods. If you smoke and drink heavily, and then decide to quit smoking while doubling up on the whiskey, is that going to make you healthy? Keto is a fundementally shitty diet
>>
>>35059691
>Why is keto so popular?
Cause it works. Losing fat without counting calories is great
>>
>>35067548
>i still believe the saturated fat and cholesterol is bad meme
hi dad!
>>
>>35067655

>I ignore well established, universally accepted science because it scares me
>>
>>35067660
>i'm completely out of touch with what the latest research dictates
hi dad!
>>
>>35067660
"Good" science actually says that cholesterol and saturated fats are important and good for you.
>>
>>35067236
Typing something that takes 2 seconds vs looking for sources in order to disprove something to someone who doesn't want to know otherwise.
>>
>>35067678

>I never bothered to understand why every group of scientists in the world believes something and have no understanding of the science behind it but I read on an internet blog that all the science got reversed recently and I accepted it at face value with no skepticism whatsoever

What brand is your tinfoil?

>>35067691

Oh, I didn't know that, my bad.
>>
File: 1443647305656.jpg (8 KB, 205x205) Image search: [Google]
1443647305656.jpg
8 KB, 205x205
>>35059924
Vegan detected
>>35059691
I wouldn't say 'popular' most people lack the discipline to get actual results. I did keto for a good month and lost 15 pounds.
Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.