[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>do OHP >do 5 warm up sets with increasing 5 kg each set
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: stronglifts-overhead-press.jpg (109 KB, 1024x318) Image search: [Google]
stronglifts-overhead-press.jpg
109 KB, 1024x318
>do OHP
>do 5 warm up sets with increasing 5 kg each set until 5 kg before working set
>do working set
>keep head neutral, watch directly straight
>pull a neck muscle
This happened before.
But I never look up or down during OHP

Why did I strain my neck? When will it stop hurting?
>>
>"feel" and "mirin" threads have 200 replies after few hours
>lifting related questions are on page 10

/fit/ is truly a shithole
>>
>>34997824
You should stretch neck before you workout. Gymnasts always do it, why shouldn't you?

also leave feel threads out of this
>>
>>34997759
Happened to to me once, I think it was becasue I accidently pushed my neck forward at the top of the lift. Has never happened again though.
>>
>>34997759
>Why did I strain my neck?
#1 It's happened before. You will always be likely to strain something you've strained before.
#2 You most likely weren't properly warmed up. No amount of "warm-up" sets will count in this regard unless they achieve just that - warming you up. If you have't worked up a sweat, you're not properly warmed up. Some people do a general warm-up on the treadmill or rowing ergometer for this. Some people do a couple of very high rep sets before moving on to heavier sets.
I'm not saying you must warm up. That's your own choice. But the fact of the matter is that if you're not warmed up, chances of spraining something are much higher.
>>
Strengthen your neck. Build up to being able do a 60 second front and back neck bridge each. Most people find front easier, I didn't. After this you can consider using a neck harness
>>
Maybe you forced your head too far forward.
I have strained my neck when deadlifting, it only took two seconds of not being focused and I didn't keep my neck neutral during a rep.
Done it two times, both caused by lack of concentration.

Try to stretch your neck/spinal erectors by tucking your chin to your chest.
>>
>>34997824
don't act like it's just /fit/, every board is the same, memes and shitposting are more popular than actual board topic threads
>>
>>34997824
Because those threads distract all the non lifting, board drifters, because LOL MEMES AND FEELS.
I don't mind it. Would you rather have kids from /b/ come into advice threads like these and spout "dyel" and generally be cancer?
>>
>>34998071
Boards with autistic mods aren't. Sadfrogs and offtopic threads get banned off /a/ within 15 minutes usually
>>
>do OHP

You mean, The Press
>>
>>34997759
>>keep head neutral, watch directly straight
>>pull a neck muscle
???
>>
>>34997759

does it hurt when looking left or right? will go away in a few days, warming helps.

i've had that when pushing too hard on the last rep one time.
>>
You are warming up wrong. Do a couple high rep/intensity form sets at 50% working weight and then lift a little over working weight for a couple reps and hit it.
>>
>>34998511
This is what he's supposed to do you fucking retard
>>
>>34998573
Yep

Yeah I wanted to do 3x5, but pushed the 5 reps on my first set too hard and then it happened on the last rep
>>
When I do the dumbbell overhead press, I have a problem where when I push the weight from my shoulder up, I go on the tips of my toes. Should I lower my weight (which is already ridiculously low tbqf)?
>>
>>34997759
Happened to me during pull ups one time. I think its cause i squeezed my upper back/lower back neck area at the top
>>
File: 1442194985174.jpg (97 KB, 471x629) Image search: [Google]
1442194985174.jpg
97 KB, 471x629
>>34997759

It might actually be related to your life outside the gym, not to the exercise itself.
Something like spending too much time with the neck in the same position during the day.

Do some stretching work for your neck, and if you're working on something like a computer or a desk with papers, take short breaks once in a while and do some stretching/mobility work.

It might also be related to your bed and the position you sleep in.

>>35000117

Do sitting OHP.
>>
>>35000207
>Do sitting OHP.
Snap city
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.