[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what's the consensus on the extreme cuts fighters do?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: GSP_Shrink.jpg (158 KB, 1100x425) Image search: [Google]
GSP_Shrink.jpg
158 KB, 1100x425
So what's the consensus on the extreme cuts fighters do?

I can go into specifics if anyone wants, but basically over the course of 5 days

> Eat virtually 0 carbs
> Eat as much lean meats and vegetables as you want
> Day one, drink a fuck ton of water
> Day two, drink less water than day one, but still a lot
> Day 3, drink a normal amount of water
> Day 4, less than normal amount
> Day 5, barely any water

The idea being when you drink a lot of water your body goes into "Get this shit out of me" mode, making you piss a lot, this mode lasts even after you stop drinking obscene amounts of water, so day 3,4 and 5 you are pissing away pretty much all the water in your body.

Using this method fighters can lose about 20 pounds in 5 days

Probably fucks with your kidneys, and fighters describe it as one of the hardest, most grueling things they do, but it seems like a fairly simple way to get looking lean fast, like if you have a competition coming up or something.

Pic related: GSP, he usually walks around at 190 pounds, but competes at 170 and literally only bothers with cutting 5 days before the weigh in
>>
>>34996165
It doesn't really fuck with your kidneys. In five days you can pretty much do whatever you want with your body, as it's not enough time to seriously fuck up anything. Also, it's not really a "gruelling thing" to do, it's just five fucking days of dieting.
>>
>>34996193

> as it's not enough time to seriously fuck up anything.

True, and I guess this is something you do once or twice a year, not every other month.

> Also, it's not really a "gruelling thing" to do, it's just five fucking days of dieting.

I reckon it'd be pretty tough, being dehydrated is way worse than being hungry, plus such rapid weight loss makes you feel sick and weak.

Plus the fighters usually incorporate lots of cardio and hours in sauna's/hot baths to sweat out whatever water they can't piss away.

I'm thinking of doing this next month, just wanted to see if there'd be any interest if I reported back how shit it felt/how much I lost
>>
i don't get the point of this thread? literally every fighter does this. what is there to discuss? they lose lots of weight and then bulk up on fight day.

they've been doing this for years and years.
>>
>>34996219

Mostly opinions on how safe/healthy/gauge interest

Seems like something to try out, wanna see if anybody's done it/any advice.
>>
>>34996206
yes!! that would be interesting to hear about, But it would be horrible to do
>>
>>34996287

Yea, there's a good chance I won't make it past day 4, and I do plan on doing sauna's and long distance runs wearing trashbags to really sweat it out, I'd also like to see how much total bf% I lose, I reckon around 5% but also that number is pulled out of my ass
>>
>>34996165
Kidney flushing is probably is one of the healthiest things you can do for your body.
We rarely get enough water in our systems.
>>
I honestly do not believe in the extreme cutting that they do to make weight. Mainly because they all pump diuretics and get to such a low body fat that they all are exhausted before they even get into the arena. If most fighters would just fight at a slightly higher body weight, they would all perform better. Getting to low extremes in weight only hurts performance in the long run.
>>
I don't know about fighting, but I've seen plenty of lwt rowers absolutely fuck themselves by dropping to weight too hard.
Then again, over here we weigh in on race day not the night before, so if you misjudge you are completely screwed.
Lots of eating only chocolate for days, wearing coats indoors and no liquids.
>>
>>34996233

Its not super unsafe, unless you start getting diuretics involved, but there are risks. Heavy water cuts have landed people in the hospital before.

>>34996305
You'll lose fuck-all BF%. The short, hard cuts like this are almost all water weight. That's how they can rebound to fight weight so fast.
>>
>>34996206
I drink about 3-4 liters during a gym session
But then some days I'll only drink one glass for the whole day

Not sure how the no carbs would factor in besides being tired as fuak
>>
I think it should be illegal.
>>
>>34996312

Dunnno about other sports, but in UFC the weigh in is the day before the fight, so immediately after weigh in the fighters start replenishing liquids and eating carbs, again, the GSP example, he goes from 190 to 170 in 5 days, and then usually up to 187-188 in the next 24 hours before the fight.

Performance is affected, but only slightly, by the next day.

And I don't plan on using any diuretics.
>>
>>34996340
Weigh in should be on the day for this reason.
Then weight categories might mean more too
>>
>>34996165
The reason it's effective for fighters but less effective for bodybuilders is obvious in the picture. The muscles look less "full" when you flush out 20 pounds of water in 4 days. So while it could make your abs show, they're going to look flatter. Your striations in chest and shoulders won't be as pronounced. You'll lose the lush teardrop shape of your quads. Those are things that you sacrifice.
So yes, if you're a fighter, great, so it before the weigh in. If you're not a fighter, it's probably not the most effective or sensible way to cut unless your only objective is to show up lighter on the scale.
>>
>>34996335

> You'll lose fuck-all BF%

Yeah, I think I meant more along the lines of how much BF% would it look like I lost, I know It's all water and it'll come back in the next day or so

>>34996337

Don't forget you get water from your food as well, and I think the no carbs thing is just because that's a normal weight loss tactic, more about the water than carbs I think
>>
>>34996353

Not a fighter, desu more just interested in how hard it is.

I'm a big believer in the "Comparable effort" sort of thing, like, if you experience something extremely grueling then in the future everything will seem easier.

So if professional fighters who do crazy intense training like 8 hours a day 6-7 days a week say this is the hardest thing they do, then if I manage to complete it normal dieting and training is gonna seem like a breeze. Or that's the plan anyway.
>>
>>34996357
no carbs is because having less glycogen in your muscle means you will hold less water in the muscle, because osmosis. Same reason you hold more water when you eat more sodium, take creatine, etc.
>>
>>34996165
That's not extreme. If you want extreme check out multiple weight title holders in boxing. Thomas Hearns, for example, held 5 world titles in 5 different weight divisions.
>>
>cutting water =/= cutting fat
first by drinking a lot of water than normal you deplete your body of minerals, this is really bad

then you turn to not drinking water at all which is really bad too

you need to be retarded to do this willingly without a cause
>>
>>34996392
1. fighters don't do "crazy intense training like 8 hours a day 6-7 days a week"
2. it's not "the hardest thing they do". maybe you don't know, but fighters start cutting weight when their training camp starts - that means 8 to 12 weeks of hard training and not a lot of food
3. i don't know how doing something that is bothering for 5 days is going to prepare you for maintaining good habits the rest of your life

no hate, just trying to help ;^)
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.