[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is your why? Why do you lift? The reason I'm working
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8
File: 1447556451996.jpg (256 KB, 1650x1050) Image search: [Google]
1447556451996.jpg
256 KB, 1650x1050
What is your why?

Why do you lift?

The reason I'm working to better myself is to protect the ones I care about. I have this fear that makes me think of the worst possible scenarios that could happen to those I care about. Whether it be a home invasion, rape, mugging, etc. And I use that fear to make me work as hard as I can on my body so that if the situation does arise, I'll be able to meet that challenge.

Plus I also hate the idea that if I look in the mirror I'm going to hate that person looking back at me. I want to look good and feel capable to myself. Not anyone else. I also don't want to die not knowing what the best me could be like.

So /fit/. What is your why?
>>
>>34995208
I get strong because it feels good.
/thread
>>
>>34995225
Fair enough.
>>
>>34995208

honestly, 90% is to admire myself in the mirror and occasionally post picture of my body on /fit/

10% is self-defense and everything that falls under that umbrella

I honestly hide the fact that I have muscles and the only time people find out is when they're holding or lifting me out in public. No kidding it's always "solid", "rock", or "steel" when someone describes me.
>>
>>34995250
Nothing wrong with that bro. Is the reason you hide your muscles is that you don't want attention? Or do you lack confidence?
>>
I've always been active as a kid

And i honestly belive fitness should be a part of everyone's life, not a lifestyle that only certain people do

Seriously if you aren't lifting or doing any physical activity an hour or so a couple times a day then you are a waste of life
>>
I love to exercise. Swam for a while. Liked it. Switched to running. Liked it more. Switched to lifting. Fell in love.

I really just like lifting heavy things. The aesthetics are just extra.
>>
>>34995208
i lift because the dopamines i get from lifting heavy shit stop me from killing myself
>also, carrying a gun is more useful than being strong for your objectives, op
>>
I want to be speshul forces, because why the fuck not? And looking good is nice too.
>>
File: 1447792878770.jpg (165 KB, 793x1897) Image search: [Google]
1447792878770.jpg
165 KB, 793x1897
>>34995267

The former. I was a relatively quiet guy in high school who had fun (I was known to be funny as fuck, although I was going through heavy depression) in my small circle of friends. Word got out about me and suddenly half the school was watching my moves and all sorts of drama fell upon me. Unintentionally became a popular kid but I hated it all because I'm generally a miserable person that wants to be alone. I'm basically David Letterman if you think about it.

Don't ever complain about not getting attention or 'mires, /fit/, it's not fun at all.
>>
>>34995286
Well yeah, I'll be getting a conceal carry soon. But having a strong body that is useful and can deter attackers is a plus. I know a gun would help a lot with my fears, but that fear motivates me in the gym. Haha
>>
>>34995303
Are you still in school? It'll be a lot easier once you're out. School is riddled with nonsense and most of the people you know there won't make anything of their lives past that point. I hope your depression subsides anon, I know I've had problems with my depression in the past.
>>
>>34995272
This is where we're different. I wasn't an active kid. Not because I didn't want to, but my mom was super young when she had me, so she was oversheltering me for the bulk of my childhood. But now that I'm an adult I can rip apart all that past bullshit and move forward.
>>
>>34995309
You are right, plus being big is very intimidating. If you already don't, you should try some martial art, more useful in a fight than muscles
>>
>>34995327

Yeah, I left high school during senior year and luckily got accepted to a local cc that allowed me to be alone. No one gave a shit about me in college and that year was one that allowed me to rest, discover myself, and generally fix a lot of problems in my head.

My depression is getting high nowadays because me and my mother literally cannot get along and I'm sort of planning on moving out.
>>
>>34995346
Yeah. Right now Im too busy with my current job to tackle all that together. But starting January I was planning on starting boxing or jiu jitsu to add to my weightlifting.
>>
Seriously OP, a martial art and or gun will be better for your goal
>>
>>34995350
Same bro. Mainly because my mom is hardcore Christian and I'm on the fence. I can't even talk to her about my personal problems without her saying 'pray about it'. But soon enough me and my girl will have saved enough for our own place. Just keep fighting the good fight anon, this is only temporary.
>>
>>34995373
Yeah I figured that. But I also want to be strong too and have a body my gf craves. She's stuck with me through all my bullshit and even when I was a bigger guy. So I'd like to get those aesthetic gains too.
>>
File: Gassoh-006.jpg (38 KB, 600x392) Image search: [Google]
Gassoh-006.jpg
38 KB, 600x392
>>34995388

Wow, we're in a similar situation. My mom isn't Christian but she's hardcore in shitty ancient Asian traditions and wants me to follow all of them. Let's make it together, anon.
>>
File: 1447557298986.jpg (609 KB, 900x1667) Image search: [Google]
1447557298986.jpg
609 KB, 900x1667
>>34995408
For sure man. We'll all make it.
>>
>>34995208
TFW despite all this you'll get keked
>>
>>34995447
C.U.C.K
>>
>>34995208
Because I want to be better than everybody
>>
>>34995447
Why so negative?
>>
>>34995466
Fair enough man. If it helps you improve yourself then go for it. Just make sure to keep raising the bar on yourself bro.
>>
I realised that I wasn't happy in a long term relationship I was in and that I had become a lazy fucking slob. Signed up for a gym and broke up with the girl like 3 weeks later. Been lifting for almost 3 months and I have 9 months until my 25th birthday. I want to be the best version of myself that I can be before then.
>>
File: 1448088492167.jpg (234 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1448088492167.jpg
234 KB, 600x800
>>34995447

jokes on you all of the women in my immediate and expanded family are whores or lying bitches

I see through women from a mile away and I'm the one c.u.c.k.i.n.g them :^)

although a side effect is that I literally don't trust women to get into my private affairs
>>
I lift for 3 reasons.

The first is I have have a chronic and technically terminal illness, and over the years I and my family was told I wouldn't make it to various milestones (my first Christmas, my 3rd birthday, 1st grade, etc.) So lifting and being strong let's me prove them wrong and go beyond what others expect.

The second is I once saw some thug getting in the face of an old man for almost causing an accident in a parking lot. He threatened the old man, and when is girlfriend tried to de-escalate the situation he threatened her too. I wanted to do something about it, but my body was shit and I wouldn't have been able to do anything. I felt so afraid and ashamed, and I never wanted to feel that way again so I promised to get stronger so I could stand up to such bullshit and get taken seriously.

The third is much more juvenile, but I want to be able to get a girl like this. Shitty I know, but she has been pretty inspirational in the gym for me lately.
>>
>>34995497
Awesome anon. I'm sure it was difficult to make that leap. But I'm glad you did so. We're all gonna make it man.
>>
>>34995208
>look good
>feel good

I'm a simple man.
>>
>>34995208
i lift to be stronger than op so i can invade the homes, rape and mug the people he cares for most..
>>
>>34995498
Same problem with mistrust bro. I'm working on it myself.
>>
>>34995513
Dude. You sound like a modern day Teddy man. Keep up the good work anon.
>>
File: IMG_20151112_104818.jpg (4 KB, 115x103) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151112_104818.jpg
4 KB, 115x103
>>34995529
>mfw

Alright bro. I'll prep for your arrival. Kek
>>
>>34995515
This tbhonest.
As a recovering tubby, I'm in it for the mires. I'm a vain motherfucker.
>>
>>34995555
Nice quads. If it works for you man then go for it. Get those heads turning.
>>
i like being able to pick people up
>>
>>34995543
>modern day Teddy
>inspired by wanting to fuck a chick
Nigga you know anything about The Rough Rider?
>>
>>34995543
Shieet. I just read that comic posted, and holy fuck that is eerily similar.

4th reason: I'm doing it for based Teddy
>>
>>34995208
I lift to be a better basketball player as I spend most of my time in the post. Currently weigh 235 at 6'5 at around 12% body fat with a number of areas of my body entirely undeveloped due to injuries

Long term goals for lifting are lifting for the purpose of maximizing my athletic potential while I'm still in the prime of my life. With that aesthetics will come as well
>>
>>34995603
I was making the allusion that his family often thought that Teddy would die as a child because of his asthma. Anon has been told he wouldn't be alive because of a condition he has.

The reasons are different. But the circumstances are similar.
>>
Lifting prevents me from getting (clinical) depression.

Also, since I did a slew of psychedelics, lifting is my anchor to reality.
>>
>>34995727
Do you take psychedelics often? Is it a form of escape for you?
>>
>>34995739
I was depressed in my second year of university and on my summer break I did mushrooms/acid/etc. on the weekends.

I don't do them anymore, and generally stay away from Drugs/Alcohol.

It wasn't escape so much as:
1. There was research showing it could cure depression
2. I'd always wanted to do psychedelics eventually.

It did help, but it also changed my perspective on life irrevocably in every facet; from politics, to goals in life, to how I experience life around me, its like the old me died and I ended up here with vague memories of the past. This sounds weird but I will occasionally question the objective nature of my existence (My physical presence in a physical world); I will sometimes legitimately feel like I'm in a matrix-like simulation.

Lifting helps keep the psychedelic effects at bay and keeps me in good spirits.
>>
I lift because when I look in the mirror, I want a god to be looking back.
>>
>>34995828
And yet all that stares back is a builtfat manlet
>>
>>34995513
Aids?
>>
>>34995836
I'm 5'11"
>>
>>34995847
Cystic Fibrosis
>>
>>34995806
Yeah I know that feel bro. I did acid and shrooms quite a bit. But it made me realize that there's nothing to worry about, and that I should feel lucky even existing. Yeah someday I'll die, but like Charlie Chaplin said "life is a wonderful adventure". And I intend to make mine a wonderful adventure.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.