[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
trainer at gym told some kid that he will not build muscle using
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3
trainer at gym told some kid that he will not build muscle using barbell exercises until hes 16 and that he should only use machines. is he right? this kid is a big guy though
>>
it's true, muscle development using barbells unlocks at level 16.
>>
warriors can start at level 12
>>
Trainer worded it in a way that's completely retarded, but the idea is right. Younger than 16 is VERY young to be doing heavy compound lifts, and will stunt growth if the still developing muscle mass is put under that kind of duress.

There is no merit to lifting big to get big before you've finished puberty. You'll end up with muscle and joint problems, and likely stunt your own growth if you work your back too heavily.
>>
>>34991543
no he probably just didn't want the little shit to hurt himself and his parents to sue the gym
>>
File: 1439043275568.png (201 KB, 320x289) Image search: [Google]
1439043275568.png
201 KB, 320x289
>>34991581
>>34991623
>>
>>34991641
>weight lifting stunt growth
You know that's been disproved right? Stop spouting old momscience as fact. He can lift at 16 no problems
>>
I used to know a chineese kid who's parents basically abused/smothered him. For one, he wasn't allowed to touch weights that we had in our garage. Had 15-20 minutes of time to play on computer or TV per week, was forced to study at all waking hours, kek.
>>
>>34991641
I started when I was 15 at 5"9, I've always done squats, bench and deadlifts.
I'm now 6" and my dad is 5"11 (maybe even 5"10) and my mother 5"5

So the odds were against yet I still grew, I even squatted 140kg around the time of my 16th birthday. So it's not like it was super light, still light but not baby's first squat.

The secret is stretching, decrompessing the spine.
>>
trainer tricked him into doing machines because its way safer

If he does barbells now he could snap some shit since its now beneficial to growtj at that age
>>
>>34991686
No, it hasn't. A still developing body gets rekt by big lifts. I never said kids can't lift at 16; I said that heavy lifts are detrimental to the physical development of a body still going through puberty.

>>34991706
I'm not arguing against kids lifting in highschool; I'm saying that the kids who are putting up huge lift numbers are cutting their regular physical development short to accommodate recovery on those muscle groups.

Yet, none of that shit should matter on the board because you'd have to be underaged b& for this information to be relevant to you.
>>
Do bodyweight until you are 14, do free weights after, do machines never.
>>
>>34991641
Don't ever give advice here or anywhere else
>>
>>34991641
>>34991767
Growth plate damage is a thing that can happen; saying lifting using barbells is a direct cause of that is retarded. Kids damage their plates doing stupid shit like playing football - and even then this may not even significantly effect their overall growth.

>>34991543
The main precautionary recommendation that seems generally accepted is don't go beyond a 5RM, which limits weight enough to where it won't damage anything (as long as frequency is within reason) - the problem with empirical testing is that you can't really test the 'breaking point' of a growth plate where you can make any 100% guidelines.
>>
>>34992092
>>34991641
Forgot to add, lifting heavy during the developmental period leads to thicker, denser bones - just like muscles, they have to adapt to handling the weight, and growth is extremely rapid during this time.

So lift heavy. Do your 3x5's. Don't be a pussy. You'll thank me.
>>
>replying to bane-posters

when will you guys learn
>>
>>34991704
I honestly wish my parents forced this upon me
>>
>>34992245
You're legit dumb as fuck if you believe this.
>>
>>34991543
UUUU
U
U
U
>>
>>34992253
I should have made it more clear but only the being forced to study part
>>
>>34991704
He's probably a doctor now while your still shit posting on a Chinese cartoon discussion board so who do you think had it better?
>>
>>34992275
>was born with the sole purpose of studying all day and being a doctor to make money for their parents
>has free time to willfully waste on a random discussion board
what makes you think the former is 'having it better'
>>
>>34991641
This is why trainers get a bad rap. They tell half true statements to get people to do shit because sometimes telling them the whole truth is too complicated and they don't even care to know.

They just want to build muscle and lose fat, so trainers always have to explain shit like they're 5 year olds.
>>
>>34992338
saying barbells dont build muscles before 16 isn't 'half true', its complete bullshit.

And you don't have to be wrong to dumb something down to a 5 year olds standard, it should still be correct.

PTs have a bad rap because 90% of them are retarded since they get all their information from bro-sites.
>>
kek at these people ITT who think its okay to let a literal kid lift heavy weights with no supervision

remember when you were a kid? yes you probally fucked up on many things. The trainer is doing the kid a huge favor
>>
>>34991543
lolno i made loads of barbell gains at 15, i only went for hypertrophy though, be carefuk with heavier weight
>>
you can train weightlifting from child under guidance by qualified trainer

without such trainer it's gonna be snap city
>>
>>34992542
that trainer used to be a professional bodybuilder
>>
>>34991543
more info on your build op
>>
>>34991623
I thought that was patched
>>
>>34992622
>implying being a bodybuilder correlates with intelligence

all that tells me is that he was likely on steroids.
>>
>>34992584
i think hes like 14 my gym only allows to join from 14
>>
Maybe he or the gym aren't insured for under 16s and he doesn't want a kid to get injured following his advice
>>
>>34991767
>heavy lifts are detrimental to the physical development of a body still going through puberty
citation needed
>>
>>34992584
this

what would you say to a kid?

>you uh, shouldn't do heavy deads because you, uh, won't build muscle or something

or

>you're not doing deads because you're a dumb little faggot who will get cocky and slip a disk

the kid is going to listen to one of those more than the other, and it's not going to be the one that hurts his oversized teen ego
>>
>>34993059
as if thats what he was thinking. its obvious he's just a retard who actually thinks using a bb before 16 doesn't build muscle.

he literally could have easily said

>barbell movements are great but you should make sure to only do them with supervision because they are easy to fuck up and will likely cause injury. you can even hire me if you want - cause im not some shitty pt who just cbb to learn the barbell movements so i tell people "oo uhh it wont build muscles or something"

its not fucking rocket science - hes talking to a 14 year old
>>
>>34991706
You're only 6 inches tall? That's what happens when you lift before 16. Manlet.
>>
>>34992542
Yes most of them don't have the credentials to be spewing the bullshit science that they do.

The trainer should have Told the kid to stick to sports and calisthenics. At least he'll increase his CNS adaptations.
>>
>>34991543
Muscle development has nothing to do with it, so that's fucking retarded, but what's more likely is that he thought the kid would listen to that as opposed to "You could hurt yourself if you use barbells with bad form, or go too heavy, especially at such a young age".

Kids have a tendency to think they're invincible, so there's a good chance he'd just think "Won't happen to me, I'm smarter/stronger/more mature than the other ones" with the second argument.

There's a reason pretty much no 15 year olds in gyms ever make much of any progress, they've got no idea how to train, lift, or diet, and they probably won't start to until they near 18.
>>
>>34991543
In Charleville?
>>
>>34992676
wealthy harpsichord's head got bigger from hgh it must
>>
>>34992275
>spends whole life being forced by parents to study into an early grave so he can disimpact old lady's colons for 60+ hours a week until retirement at age 65 or suicide
>>
File: beverly-hills-cop-ii.jpg (46 KB, 856x482) Image search: [Google]
beverly-hills-cop-ii.jpg
46 KB, 856x482
>>34991581
>>
>lifted when I was 15
Am 6'1
Clearly no one should better themselves when they are young.
Literally no downsides.
>>
>>34993847
No-one's saying don't lift when you're young, they're saying that because the vast majority of 15 year olds are fucking retarded, they'll try to lift way too heavy with shit form and end up hurting themselves, which a gym obviously doesn't want, and a PT doesn't want in particular.
>>
>>34994501
>and a PT doesn't want in particular.
So he should teach him form .I'm sure if he actually explained to him why not lift heavy assfuck weights at first and not patronize him everyone would be happy.
>>
>>34991641
Someone hasn't read the sticky.
>>
>>34994559
Sure, he could teach him form, but the kid's still pretty likely to lift like an idiot and go way too fucking heavy whenever he's not around, it's a risk he doesn't want to take.

Do you really think that telling a 15 year old "You could get hurt doing this" is going to stop them? Kids that age are retarded.

>>34994570
Doesn't Rippetoe say in SS that lifting heavy as fuck weights at a young age is a stupid idea though? I swear it's right at the start of it.
>>
>>34994645
I get what you mean.I just think lying isn't moral.If he thinks he will get hurt tell him.Don't outright lie as to keep someone safe.Not all 15 year olds are retards though.Acting like every young person will go to hard with shit form is just generalizing.
>>
>>34994676
Yeah, I agree, lying to stop someone probably getting hurt is a massive grey area, I can see why you'd see it as wrong. And it's not acting as if every one of them will, but I've not ever actually met a 15 year old who didn't train like a retard, and I can see why the guy wouldn't want to risk the kid's parents getting shitty with him if the kid hurt themselves.

The dude shouldn't have to lie about it though, there just should be restrictions on how people under 16 can use the equipment in the gym, plenty of places do stuff like that, and a gym should be the same way, even responsible educated and trained adults hurt themselves in gyms.
>>
Not true. Started at 14, got beginner gains from dumbells among other things.
>>
>>34991641
lol this fool wasted his natty puberty-roids because he thought lifting would stunt his growth.

this is why people think teens are roiding when they post their transformation videos
>>
>>34991641
>citation needed
>>
How about teen girls? Their maturing begins earlier, usually.
>>
>>34991876
This. Tbh senpai
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.