[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Buying a home gym, non-free weight.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
Based on my research, I've pretty much concluded that anything utilizing a "power rod" technology is crap. The resistance isn't constant and the total resistance is nowhere near a free-weight equivalent.

Therefore that leaves with me a stack-pulley system. What would you guys recommend for under $900? I'd say my top priority is weight expandability. I don't want one that is locked in at 150 pounds.
>>
Why not use free weights to make actual gains you candy ass
>>
>>34989364

Because setting up a free-weight home gym is a somewhat large and expensive undertaking. I'm already (basically) satisfied with my level of muscle, I worked out free-weight for years, now I pretty much just want to maintain my size and strength.
>>
>>34989384

Also I did have a free-weight home gym a couple of years ago. It was very intrusive and annoying to use. At the gym you take for granted that you can move to another station and it's all set up, doing everything at home is very tedious. You want to switch from bench to squat? Gotta take the clips off, take all the plates off, set them down gently, put the bar up, put the plates back on, put the clips back on. We need a sticky for shit like this.
>>
Don't any of you want to at least correct me on something? Call me a pussy? A communist?

D'awww
>>
File: canvas.png (170 KB, 396x304) Image search: [Google]
canvas.png
170 KB, 396x304
What about one of these things?
>>
>>34989442
>You want to switch from bench to squat? Gotta take the clips off, take all the plates off, set them down gently, put the bar up, put the plates back on, put the clips back on

How about you just take out the bench from your power cage?

Because all you need for a free-weight home gym is a proper power cage.
>>
>>34989537

And a heavy-duty bench, and an olympic bar, and 300 pounds of plates.
>>
>>34989442
this is bait
>>
>>34989560

Is not.
>>
>>34989548
No, just a power cage.

You can squat a power cage, lift a power cage, press a power cage, do pullups on a power cage.

If you're actually satisfied with your level of muscle you should also be able to curl a power cage.
>>
>>34989582
sorry man but you're just a bitch

pics of your level of muscle from years of free-weight training pls
>>
>>34989629

How am I supposed to work my chest without a bench?
>>
>>34989634

I said I'M happy with my level of muscle, I didn't say you'd be. I'm 5'10 175 when low bf%, my physique is perfect for the types of activities I like to do. It's not my goal to become a mech.
>>
>>34989651
this machine still isn't sufficient if you want to maintain that mass. you're not gonna be preserving much doing chest flies and lat pulldowns.

just keep going to the gym? spending $900 on that piece of shit while losing muscle mass isn't something i'd recommend.
>>
>>34989693

Noted.

By the way for some of these I'm seeing specifications like "120 pound weight stack, 250 pounds of resistance." What the hell does this mean?

Like on this one: "112 pounds of weight, 280 pounds of resistance"

http://www.amazon.ca/Golds-Gym-XRS-Home-System/dp/B00IGIRYPW
>>
>>34989709
i'm not sure, i'm guessing it goes up to 250 lb of resistance on any of the exercises, i have no idea what it means by "120 pound weight stack"

once again, why can't you just go to a real gym? you're gonna be spending a lot of money and it won't be very practical or efficient.
>>
>>34989330
>>34989384

>wants to spend 900 dollar on a machine
>free weight is expensive

I spent 400 euro on all my equipment (bench, rack for bench and squat, barbell, like 6 dumbells, plates)

Dont lie to yourself saying its more expensive
>>
I guess something like this wouldn't be too intrusive.

http://www.sears.ca/product/marcy-olympic-bench/606-000889980-MD-4-857
>>
>>34989643
pushups, under one end of a 12 foot board, with your feet reaching around and grabbing it.
>>
>>34989803
Not OP, but I've been looking for a homegym within that price range, where did you get your shit that cheap from? I can only find overpriced branded shit.
>>
>>34990280
craigslist mate. i'm not the person you're referring to, but i just searched up my local craigslist and found a squat rack for $600 and a weight set for $120. the weights weren't in great shape, and the squat rack looks to be just a retailer and not a random user, you can see how it's cheaper using craigslist.
>>
>>34990280

Back when I had a full free-weight home gym it only cost me like $900 Canadian. I got a heavy-duty bench/squat rack, an adjustable bench rated at 1000 pounds, a weight tree, an olympic bar, and 300lbs of iron weights. Those were in-store prices too. I ended up selling it all as a package for like $700 on Kijiji.

It isn't really more expensive.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.