[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Try deadlifts for the first time >Now my back hurts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 425x282) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 425x282
>Try deadlifts for the first time
>Now my back hurts
It is normal?
>>
>>34985929
Bumping for similar situation

My back isnt curved either
>>
>>34985929
Yes
>>
>>34985929
My lower back was sore for a week the first time I did diddylifts
>>
As long as it's not your spine
>>
>>34985938
>>34985929
depends is it doms?or A different pain
>>
>>34985967
How to differentiate between doms and pain when doing diddles?
>>
>>34985982
Did you hurt while lifting or after?
>>
Yes.

Now do it with proper form next time.
>>
>>34985994

Immediately after I set the weight down.

Then it goes away the next day mostly.
>>
>>34986009
Read a bit on how to dead lift more and lower the weight, your lifting too much with your lower back. It's normal to be sore in the back the day after
>>
Lately when I deadlift I end up with left sided scapula area pain. Is this a form issue? Left is hook grip if that matters.
>>
>>34986009
I've seen a lot of people who arch their backs as much as they can, out of fear of snap city. Problem is overarching relaxes the abs, which means that your back has to do all the work.

You make your back straight by activating your abs and your back, basically inflating the muscles around the spine making your core stiff and your spine unable to shift in any direction.
If you overarch your back, you're just pulling the entire weight with your back. You won't snap your shit since your back stays tight, but you're still lifting large weights with your back and that'll cause pain.

A good way to see if you're overarching is to ask yourself this: If no one ever taught me about good form, is there any chance in hell this is how I'd lift something of the ground? Good form doesn't always come naturally, but it never feels unnatural.
>>
I get lower back pain when I'm doing bent over rows

is this normal?
>>
>>34986506
>pain
>is this normal?

Literally your body's way of telling you that something bad and out of the ordinary is happening.
>>
>>34986521
well true, but you're supposed to feel at least a little bit achey when you work out aren't you, tearing you muscles and that
>>
>>34986506
If you are getting it mid reps or straight after that isn't normal.
Doms stands for
Delayed
Onset
Muscle
Soreness
So its not DOMS if is happening straight after the rep/set.Theres also a clear difference between pain and doms Its hard to explain it though.
>>
>>34985929
>It is normal?
When you're doing it wrong it is.

There are two major mistakes when performing the deadlift that can lead to excessive stress on the lumbar spine (low back).

MISTAKE #1: Thinking the deadlift is an up-and-down movement.

A lot of people deadlift by simply stepping up to the barbell, bending down, grapping it and lifting it up. This usually results in rounding of the low back, but even if these people have the kinesthetic to keep their back neutral, they're still pulling most of the load with their low back. This is wrong.
Instead you must realize that the deadlift is in fact a back-and-forth movement. You begin by unlocking the knees and pushing your ass as far backwards as you can, as if somebody had tied a rope around your waist and started pulling it from behind you. As you move your hips backwards, you should feel massive tension building in your hamstrings. This tension is what you will use to initiate the lift, like a coiled spring.
You will notice that when you're in this position with your hips back, your back will automatically have changed position from upright to being much closer to horizontal. And your relaxed arms will have moved closer to the floor.
At this point you simply grab the barbell and thrust your hips forward again, which will automatically staighten you up. Finish the movement by squeezing your glutes as if you wanted to crack a wallnut between your buttcheeks.

KEYWORDS: Hamstring tension, back-and-forth.

(Technically this is a Romanian deadlift. In a conventional deadlift pulling from the floor you will need to squat down a tiny bit in order to get low enough to reach the barbell, but the above explanation is still the main movement).

MISTAKE #2: Not keeping the barbell close.
You must keep the barbell as close to your body as possible. In fact, in a great deadlift, it should actually scrape your shins on the way up. It's okay to keep it 1 mm away, but NO MORE.
>>
>>34986506
No. Push your ass much further back, get your body closer to the ground, and keep the barbell closer to your body. Don't let it drift away from you. You should almost be resting your belly on your thighs.
>>
>>34985929
Do it like you'll nail a chick against the wall with your D.
>>
>>34985929
Can't tell for sure unless you film yourself, but one possibility is you're lifting the bar too far away from your body which places stress on the lower back.
>>
Pulled my erector spinae yesterday, felt it twinge during squats, was going light on dls anyway but it still pulled. What can I do to help it recover?
>>
>>34985929
ENGAGE LATS
N
G
A
G
E

L
A
T
S
>>
Could I just substitute squats entirely for deadlifts?
>>
>>34986922
Rest and stop doing didly and squats for a few weeks. Your gains will not go anywhere
>>
>>34986280
Always got lower back pain after deadlifts
Just came from the gym and tried activating my abs more and holy shit did it work
Literally zero back pain now
Thanks!
>>
>>34986794
This
It's a two-part motion imo:
>straighten the knees
>straighten the back
Reverse on the way down

When I started deadlifting I was so determined to hold the bar close to my legs that I actually had bloody shins a few times
>>
My back hurts immediately after running squats. Is this normal?
>>
My back hurts immediately after curls. Is this normal?
>>
>>34986280
Thanks for the advice
>>
My back hurts immediately after barbell flies. Is this normal?
>>
>>34986794
No shit? That actually makes a lot more sense than anything I've read up until this point.

Perhaps that's why my deadlift sucks so much, I'm essentially trying to squat it up using my quads.
>>
My back hurts immediately after I try to suck my own dick, is it normal?
>>
Keep in mind to not hyperextend when you lock out like the far right in this image. This will result in pain/discomfort in the lower back immediately after you finish the set. I used to do it when I was new to deadlifting, so I thought my form during the concentric portion of the lift was off at first.
>>
>>34988454
should you wear lifting shoes while deadlifting like this guy? i heard you should have feet flat on ground.
>>
>>34988951
Socks or flat shoes is the most common.
People who deadlift in lifting shoes are usually weightlifters who wear them because it transfers over to the way they do the snatch and C&J.
>>
>>34986055
I am dealing with the same pain now from deadlifting. It feels like muscle pain but its only on the left and I was wearing a belt.
>>
>>34986954

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm7ZbgjZklE
>>
>>34989659
what grip is that? is hook grip that amazing?
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.