[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/SMG/- Strongman general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 12
File: 465562490.jpg (258 KB, 594x590) Image search: [Google]
465562490.jpg
258 KB, 594x590
Welcome to Strongman General /SMG/
>let's make this a thing again edition

The purpose of this thread is to become a better strength athlete were that is to compete or to just better yourself.

>Log press guide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZJYpZTGPFk

>Axle C&P guide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAOypXSUo0c

>how to lift atlas stones
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-FQ4DyrU4c

Post Pr's, ask for advice, talk about the future of the sport, or general strongman banter.
>>
Shameless self bump
>>
>>34981977
Oh boy a new /smg/. I hope this one will last more than ten minutes, but I doubt it will.
>>
everytime i log press my shoulders buckle for some reason i tried several logs but then die, what do? Sorry for english not my first language
>>
File: 220px-Brian_Shaw_strongman.jpg (14 KB, 220x293) Image search: [Google]
220px-Brian_Shaw_strongman.jpg
14 KB, 220x293
I miss strongman.

Lots:(
>>
File: zomburkeiscomingforyourgains.jpg (112 KB, 594x341) Image search: [Google]
zomburkeiscomingforyourgains.jpg
112 KB, 594x341
>nothing to even discuss edition
I <3 strongman, but it'll be a longass time until I start training for it.
>>
Laurence Shahlaei did a pl meet for shits and giggles, "only" hit 950kg/2094lbs. His injuries probably have him fucked up still.
>>
I hate this cold weather cause it makes it a bitch to train....do you guys think Olympic lifts have any good carry over to strong man cause lately I've been messing around with snatch and c&j and I find it entertaining
>>
STRONGMAN IS THE CROSSFIT OF STRENGTH SPORTS
>>
>>34982087
Why don't you come back and join the dark side then
>>
>>34982054
The only thing I could think of doing is maybe strengthen the rear and side delts to stabilize the shoulder better but beyond that I'm not to sure
>>
>>34981977
Might do my first open show (as in not novice) in February. I had planned to do a PL meet with the uni team, but it looks like there might not be a uni team. Guess I'm sticking to strongman.
>>
>>34982209
What meet is it?
>>
>>34982220
The powerlifting meet? Some collegiate meet in Dallas.

Strongman is OKC's strongest man
>>
>>34982179
>popular
>varied, interesting competitions
>more demanding on competitors
>competitors get paid
Yeah, pretty much.
>>
>>34982176
Anything with a front squat to some degree will. It's definitely better than nothing.

Keg throws are somewhat similar to cleaning movements, and heavy stone/shot put also has carry over from cleans iirc. It's less generally applicable than front squats I guess, but it depends what you're doing.
>>
File: erle engmark.webm (2 MB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
erle engmark.webm
2 MB, 640x640
I almost wish there as a natty division of strongman
>>
>>34982375
There was a drug tested fed for a while. It actually worked because all the dudes on gear didn't give a fuck about stomping natties and stuck to the untested stuff. Thing is, literally no one else cared either.
>>
>>34982411
They should have different divisions for the level of roid abuse
>>
>>34982450
That's basically what tested vs untested is.
>>
>>34982450
>natty
>"natty"
>250-1000 mg a week base esters
>over 1 gram / week -or- exotic shit
>balding & back acne
>IDLH (immediate danger to life & health)
>>
>>34982486
kek
>>
File: constipatedkaz.jpg (75 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
constipatedkaz.jpg
75 KB, 600x338
>>34982486
>So on a scale of clean to Kaz, how juicy are you for this competition?
>>
>>34982532
On second thought, Kaz isn't a good example. He was on gallons of juice, but he's still alive and well.
>>
>wanted to be a strongman
>didn't take care of my health
>bullied by /fit/ to just eat big and lift big
>spent a few years doing that
>became an inflexible, extremely snapped up fat fuck

Now I can't specialize in anything fun. But at least I'm lean and fit from doing mostly gymnastics and calisthenics for the last few years. Anyway, bros please remember to take care of yourselves. Mobility, flexibility, and good form my niggas.
>>
File: Igot99problemsbutahitchaintone.jpg (30 KB, 380x660) Image search: [Google]
Igot99problemsbutahitchaintone.jpg
30 KB, 380x660
>>34982565
>mobility
Important
>flexibility
Useful
>good form
Fuck outta here, Poundstone hitch for life.
>>
>>34982087
Bruh, how'd your strongman comp go?
What events did you do? What weights did you hit? How'd you do/place?
>>
>>34982587
I guess homie, but man, sure sucks to be feelin' them discs grinding in my back every day. Wouldn't wish that on any of y'all degenerates.
>>
>>34982622
If you don't mind sharing, what happened? More specifically, I mean. I saw your greentext.
>>
File: Derek dumb bell.jpg (202 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
Derek dumb bell.jpg
202 KB, 1600x1067
Love Strongman, but got last place at my first comp. Gonna be grinding for the next year and doing Powerlifting meets instead until I feel "appropriate" strength and mobility wise.. Writing out a plan using Juggernaut method right now. 3 days lifting and two days conditioning. Gonna commit to it for a year and see where it takes me.

After Winter passes I'll start doing implements wherever I can find them. Good luck to everyone else's training and comps!

>>34982587
Man, Poundstone is fucking awesome.
>>
File: logalog.jpg (122 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
logalog.jpg
122 KB, 640x427
>>34982672
Obligatory:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXKQsTa6ByI&t=19m0s
>>
File: Log press.webm (2 MB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
Log press.webm
2 MB, 1440x1080
>>34982595
Oh man that was a while ago.

it went fine, it was a super small non sanctioned comp. the only guy that was stronger than me was a fucking rhino that's 10 years older, been lifting for 10 years longer and is on a literal fuckload of gear.

Went pretty good considering though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3z_Up9SapU

>youtube related
>webm related

>>34982672
thats awesome. god speed anon
>>
>>34982179
How? Strongman barely maintains any level of popularity. Europe is the only place where it has some respect. It's niche as fuck in the USA; even Powerlifting is more popular. Weightlifting is an Olympic event.

Strongman is basically a sideshow that is getting a mass appeal media push and barely getting anywhere with it. Crossfit has a marketing force behind it that actually works. I dunno how you can make Strength sports popular when there's so much other accessible and mass-appealing media. It's slowly spreading though so... I dunno.
>>
>>34982672
That dude on the treadmill kek
>>
>>34982773
Good lord, that is awesome.
>Farmers @265
Shieeeeeeeet brah
I got a pair of farmer's walk handles I like to take for walks now and then, struggling to do 80 kg for the same distance. I should add that I'm no strongman and only really got them on a whim because I figured they'd do wonders for grip training, but fuck if I'm not motivated to use them more now.

I'm also mirin your log press, and especially so the clean. It looks like a more fun way to clean than both continentals and conventional cleans.

How'd you train for the car pull? Like, did you just up and get a harness and pull cars occasionally? Seems like it'd be literal tons of fun.
>>
>>34982773
>Ollie
You've got a cool name.
>>
>>34982242
Sanctioned meets are fun even though the weights are heavy af(as fuck) usually...I did northern Nevadas strongest man and there was no one in my direct weight class(265) sadly but I would've came 5th out of 15 in the 300lb weight class
>side note the weights were the same for anyone above 231
>>
Can someone recommend good CHEAP shoes for truck pulls on concrete? I'm pulling a 700lb sled and normal shoes no longer have enough grip

Specifically, shoes with Stealth or Spyder soles.
>>
File: beardedbenni.jpg (140 KB, 461x674) Image search: [Google]
beardedbenni.jpg
140 KB, 461x674
>>
>>34986063

Its amazing how different Benni looks with a beard.

More related to the topic, today was a good day. Finally managed to continental 200lbs and hit a 430lb axle pull. I still suck at stones and sandbags though, even more than I suck at everything else.
>>
File: benevolentbenni.png (292 KB, 500x339) Image search: [Google]
benevolentbenni.png
292 KB, 500x339
>>34986070
Right? He looks like a giant baby without it.
>>
>>34982176
I train oly on the side and I find that it helps a lot with stone loading and carrying events. Oddly enough not so much when it comes to overhead events however.
>>
>>34986143

That kind of makes sense - strongman overhead work is a lot more reliant on shoulder strength than oly overhead work is, unless you're one of the freaks who can consistently jerk the implements.
>>
>>34986158
I think it has more to do with chest/ tricep strength at the sticking point of a press. With a jerk or a snatch you're more in the role of driving and stabilizing, with a log or a db there's more arm involvement in getting the implement to that locked position if that makes any sense.

All in all power cleans, front squats, and axle power jerks would make a great addition to a program.
>>
What sort of program are you guys running?

I've been at the Cube Method for Strongman for about 4-5 weeks now and I don't really mind it, but I admittedly have program ADD and was reading about the Hepburn method, now I'm wanting to try that. I can't see how Hepburn would give enough repetition strength, though.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.