[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the optimal wait time between sets?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4
File: 1447207009338.jpg (48 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1447207009338.jpg
48 KB, 640x640
What's the optimal wait time between sets?
>>
bout tree fiddy
>>
>>34978335
It depends on your routine, on your goal, on the exercise. Could be 30s, 50s, 70s. Anything more than 70s is not rest time within a the same routine, unless you're doing a circuit. If you wait more than 70s and you're not doing a circuit, you're wasting time and not optimizing gains.
>>
>>34978335
If you're repping close to your max, I would say as long as it takes to no longer be fatigued

If your sets are less than that and you're going for a more volume-intensive workout, I'd say 1.5-3 min, depending on your cardio level
>>
Bodybuilding: 45-90 seconds
Powerliftan: 2-5 mins
>>
>>34978362
>1.5-3 min, depending on your cardio level
cardio is irrelevant, 3 whole minutes is way too much.
>>
>>34978335
2-10 min if training for strenght and lifting heavy
>>
>>34978335
a day
>>
>>34978377
>2-10 min
Nigger, please.
>>
>>34978376
Not him.

I think that you are correct, but I also don't think if you do 90 seconds or 60 seconds it will make a drastic difference other than lactic acid tolerance and adrenaline usage. Also depends on if you can progress, and do the next sets.

I work at a gym, and there is one guy who deadlifts 6x8 every Friday. He weights 175, pulls 500 for a single. He does 6x8 at 335 like it's nothing for that, but takes 10 minute rests sometimes if he gets talking to other guys.

I think it depends on a lot, and the fact his 8 rep max is being linearly periodized, and that his rest doesn't affect it, says a lot. I guess it's also deadlifts, though. Rest is needed.
>>
After 3 minutes, approximately 80% of your muscle’s ATP has been replenished, at 5 minutes, approximately 95% is back in the game, and at 8 minutes ~ 100% is there.
>>
>>34978365
this
>>
>>34978376
Cardio is very relevant. If you're working out at an intense enough level, you will have a highly elevated heart rate, as well lactic acid build up, and just generally being out of breath.

A greater cardiovascular capacity will help you recover between sets much more quickly than if you never did any sort of cardio.

Just because you get a greater burn/more fatigue from resting less does not mean you are working out efficiently
>>
>>34978355
Why does starting strength recommended more than 60sec rests then?
>one of the biggest mistakes novice lifters make is not resting between sets for long enough

You rest for as long as you need to to be able to do the exercise again. If that's 10 seconds then do it if it's 3 minutes then do it
>>
>>34978394
>>34978452
>Nigger, please
>>
>>34978335

I'm in love
>>
>>34978335
Whenever I feel ready to lift again I count 20 more seconds then I lift
>>
What is it about lifting that makes people so autistic and gullible, myself included?

>hurr durr, you can rest 56 seconds, but anything over 67 will cause you to lose muscle

Just do what is comfortable, it's literally the same.
>>
>>34978376

>3 whole minutes is way too much

Weak curlbro detected.
>>
>>34978497
>You rest for as long as you need to to be able to do the exercise again
Pretty much though I try to limit my compound lifts to 5 minutes and stuff like curls to a couple.
>>
>>34978355
You're wrong though. If you're strength training you need at least 3 minutes of rest between sets if not more. 70s rest is endurance training at that point and is not optimal for anything except high rep low weight sets
>>
>resting under a minute
Do you faggots even lift?
>>
are you dead or dying? Ok lift faggot.

what a pointless question.
>>
>>34978725
>What is it about lifting that makes people so autistic and gullible
It's really easy to explain, actually.

People lift and see no immediate results, so they start sperging out about little inane details like this one, while they keep lifting. Eventually they start seeing gains and think that the stupid little details like this one were the key to making gains, but actually it was just that they kept lifting the whole time.
>>
File: 1448001616119.jpg (8 KB, 246x307) Image search: [Google]
1448001616119.jpg
8 KB, 246x307
>>34978335
>tfw tell myself Ill wait 2 mins between sets
>always get impatient and only wait 30
RIP
>>
>>34978335
30s to 3 minutes. It doesn't change hypertrophy according to research. But 30s will work more for endurance and will allow you to make your workouts compact. 3 minutes will work more for strength and possible you will do less volume because of increased time you need to perform exercise. For example 6 sets of bench would take under 10 minutes with short rest between sets and over half an hour with long rests.
>>
under 3 minutes and your wasting time in the gym because your not going to be able to make meaningful sets without having the muscle fully recovered
>>
you're not making any meaningful development to cardiovascular systems with short period of rest unless you are a fat fuck (which is the primary source of stress with short rest), and your not letting your muscles recover enough to make the next set count if you don't take time to let that happen
>>
>>34978344
/thread

God damn lochness monster
>>
I usually set a timer for 2 minutes for compound sets and 1 min for isolation stuff. Works for me.
>>
If you're lifting for endurance (more than 12 reps) 30 - 60 seconds.
If you're lifting for hypertrophy (6 - 12 reps) 60 - 90 seconds, ideally, but no more than two minutes.
If you're lifting for strength (1 - 5 reps, triples, etc.) 2 plus minutes. I've needed and taken up to 10 minutes between sets before, but five is my norm.
>>
>>34978335
As soon as you feel you can dig the next set.

it will vary according to the workout, day, your feelings and what not.
>>
>>34978335
heavy compounds 4-5 min
isos 1-2 min
>>
>>
>>
>>34978983
Chuuuuch
>>
Should I rest at all between a superset?

I do 3x10 triceps pushdown/hammer curls with no rest in between for that sweet arm pump, but I haven't progressed on weight in a while

Should I bump up weight and start resting?
>>
>>34978355
>If you wait more than 70s and you're not doing a circuit, you're wasting time and not optimizing gains.

fail for describing what is meant by "gains" here.

fail because neither hypertrophy nor strength gains are optimised with sub 70s rest between sets.
>>
>>34981554
Start doing a different routine.
>>
>>34978335
That lordosis, feel sorry for her spine
>>
Whatever feels right. It's better to wait a bit more and do a full proper set, than rush and fail.
Of course keep it reasonable, 5+ minute pauses are dumb.
>>
>>34983748
this meme is getting old
>>
As long as you need to hit your reps.
>>
I do 1.5 minutes, and then I usually spend about 30 seconds under the bar just psyching myself up.
>>
>>34978335
around a couple of minutes when going above 12 reps
>>
>>34978335
Name of the bitch??
>>
>>34979045
>waiting 30 mins between sets

Your workouts must take forever
>>
>>34978335
none, I run like sweaty motherfucker between sets. There is so many people waiting for my pray.
>>
>>34987527
it's right there on the image
>>
>>34978365
Not completely true.
Powerlifters take up to 10mins on heavy sets.
>>
>>34978376
I don't squat more than 2 pl8s the post.
>>
>compound lifts
I wait until my heart rate begins to settle and breathing evens out, but not so long that I feel completely recovered
>other moves
60 seconds or less. Sometimes I superset two moves, like shrugs and flys, or leg extensions and hamstring curls
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.