[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gains through protein alone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: 1438928258383.gif (2 MB, 297x226) Image search: [Google]
1438928258383.gif
2 MB, 297x226
Hi fit

So I've done some light reading however I want you hear your thoughts on this.
Obviously lifting is the undisputed means of gaining muscle but I also heard you can gain muscle purely from ingesting lots of protein.
Is this true?
I can imagine it won't be anywhere near as fast as lifting but just curious.

I'm currently cutting 1600 cal, im 6'3 @104kg with my diet consisting of 126g of whey protein daily.

Cheers
>>
>>34950396
No.

Protein is made of Amino Acids. AA's can be broken down to some nitrogen + a carbohydrate -the nitrogen goes to your urine and the carbohydrate is either burned for energy or stored as fat. Carbohydrates are immediate energy (which your body wants if you're cutting) and fat is an incredibly efficient energy storage mechanism (which your body wants if it has extra energy.) As far as your body/metabolism is concerned, it wants exactly enough proteins to get the job done and nothing more.

Lifting is a stress on the body that causes increased "nitrogen retention" (meaning less nitrogen excreted in urine for the same intake of protein) because it demands an increase in muscle protein synthesis.

Basically, if you don't give your body a reason to think it has to use protein to build muscles, it won't do it no matter how much protein it has available.
>>
If you're on a shitload of gear that will totally work, but with natural body chemistry it's just not happening.
>>
File: 1439236874653.gif (3 MB, 245x263) Image search: [Google]
1439236874653.gif
3 MB, 245x263
>>34950542
>>34950569
Thanks for the information!

What about to avoid muscle cataclysm with eating very little calories aka 1600 cal cut?
>>
>>34950632
Catabolism *
Fucking autocorrect
>>
>>34950569
Even on "a shitload of gear" it won't work to a significant extent.

>>34950632
The more you lift, the less muscle you will lose. The more protein you eat, up to the point that you have "enough" (most studies show between 0.6 and 1.2g/lb of lean body mass iirc) the less muscle you will lose, but the lifting is BY FAR (talking like 5-10x over) the more important one.
>>
>>34950698
And if one doesn't lift (desk job)?
>>
>>34950708
Then you will lose a large amount of muscle on your deficit, regardless of how much protein you are eating.
>>
>>34950396
Yes but you have to up it to about 200+ grams/day to start seeing the effects but soon you will be ripped
>>
>>34950792
Why is that?

Thanks for the information again, and sorry for all the questions
>>
>>34950698
>(most studies show between 0.6 and 1.2g/lb of lean body mass iirc
You recall wrong. The studies done by people who actually lift cap out at 1.41 (newest ones) or 1.7 (older ones) grams per kg of body weight.

With 3.4 g/kg (1.54g/lbs) being the absolute top of what you might find usefull while cutting on no carbs.
If you actually don't go full retard keto, you won't need more than 1.7g/kg
>>
File: 1438715728025.gif (2 MB, 316x213) Image search: [Google]
1438715728025.gif
2 MB, 316x213
>>34950859
Is 1.2g/kg good enough or should I add some more for sedimentary gains /avoid muscle Catabolism?
>>
>>34950542
>AA's can be broken down to some nitrogen + a carbohydrate -the nitrogen goes to your urine and the carbohydrate is either burned for energy or stored as fat.
It CAN be, and your body can convert about 50% of protein to carbs which is why you don't want too much if you're on keto. But most protein is just split into aminos and sent to the cells where transfer RNA sends it off to ribosomes to turn into new proteins.
>>
>>34950853
Because you dont have the stimulus for building/maintaining muscle from lifting. If muscle is not necessary, you will catabolize it on a calorie deficit.

>>34950859
0.6g per lb of lean mass is about the same as 1.4g/kg of total mass in lifters, as is 1.2g/lb lean mass and 3.4g/kg total mass. But that's all beside the point, the idea that extra protein doesn't do shit still stands.

>>34950924
You should actually lift and stop trying to make this work. There are no sedimentary gains and the degree to which this matters is 10% of the catabolism prevention, with lifting being the other 90%.

>>34950943
Which is irrelevant, because without a stimulus from lifting the ones that are made into proteins aren't going to be made into muscle proteins, and an increasing protein intake still just results in an increased excretion.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.