[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Aesthetics or Strength?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 8
File: strengthvsaesthetics-1000x600.jpg (136 KB, 1000x600) Image search: [Google]
strengthvsaesthetics-1000x600.jpg
136 KB, 1000x600
Hello dear /fit/, today I've come to you with a simple question. Do you train for Aesthetics(i.e. Bodybuilder, figure)? Do you train for pure Strength (i.e. powerlifting, strongman)? And let's hear your reasoning behind it mates.
>>
Both
>>
>>34949055
>Looking good
>Being strong
>Implying the two are somehow mutually exclusive.
>>
>>34949055
When I first started lifting I lifted primarily for aesthetics then once I achieved a pretty aesthetic physique I switched to lifting primarily for strength
>>
>OP thinks you can't train for both at the same time
>>
>>34949124
Pretty much my story. Started in physique and am now powerlifting exclusively and give 0 fucks about my bf%
>>
>>34949055
I do body weight exercises to better perform at moving my body.
>>
>>34949055
why not both ?
>>
>>34949124
This to be quite honest family
no reason you can't have skill in both
>>
Just do powerbuilding
>>
>>34949055
Aesthetics. I only get as strong as I need to to get bigger
>>
>>34949055
I train for strength. I like getting amped and going crazy trying to bang out new PRs, I like making quantifiable progress, I like being strong because it's cool. Call it a hobby I guess.
>>
>>34949110
No one implied that but you. Most people have one that they focus on over the other, that's what the thread is about.
>>
>>34950725
>Pretty much my story. Started in physique and am now powerlifting exclusively and give 0 fucks about my bf%
...because you couldn't put the fork down.
don't lie you fat fuck.
>>
>>34949055
Never been able to do a proper cut, not because I enjoy eating all that much (it is honestly pretty boring after a while), just because I can't stand to see my lifts plateau. No ragrets desu.
>>
File: 1447791768875.webm (2 MB, 664x368) Image search: [Google]
1447791768875.webm
2 MB, 664x368
Aesthetics all the way

>Implying you're not stronger than pretty most every non-lifter you will ever meet

>Implying one would choose lifting heavier VS greatly improving his sex life

>Implying the mires won't eventually boost your confidence if you're a beta, leading you to greater social skills

>Implying you can't train for strenght and do some cardio once in a while to look decent
>>
I used to train for strength. It was a lot of fun but squats made my legs disproportionally big, I was size 32 waist and 36 thighs and I fucking hated that shit. Bad genetics? Maybe. Now I just squat once every couple of weeks and just run a lot.
>>
Strength of course. I guess most guys get started to look better. That makes sense, but the ceiling for "looking good" or "hot" is so low that it no longer makes sense to focus on aesthetics after a certain point. Just look at all the weak ottermode fucks women cream over. Looking better than that is fine but it obviously doesn't help much.

If i had to choose between Frank Zane's looks and strength, and Jesse Norris' looks and strength (both 5'9" and about 200lbs when not competing) I'd go with Jesse Norris

Look at this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b33Pz2yso6M

Bitches don't shriek and get wet for you at bodybuilding competitions

They do immediately start soaking if you can The Press her above your head.
>>
>>34951002
what movie is this from?
>>
File: picture.jpg (58 KB, 514x336) Image search: [Google]
picture.jpg
58 KB, 514x336
>>34951019
pic also related
>>
>>34951022
Mad Men TV show I think
>>
File: feotm-jesse-norris-3b.jpg (41 KB, 276x345) Image search: [Google]
feotm-jesse-norris-3b.jpg
41 KB, 276x345
>>34951019

so picrelated is your definition of ''strenght over aesthetics'' ? Common bro post a fatass powerlifter or something, that guy is aesthetic as fuck
>>
>>34949055
Neither matter IRL. Just do what makes you happy.
>>
>>34951085
GY - NO, GY - NO, GY - NO, AND GYNO WAS HIS NAME O.
>>
>>34951104
spotted the retard
>>
I train for strength because I'll never be aesthetic (I have PE).

I just want to be able to pick up really heavy things. If I can look as small as possible for the weight I'm lifting that will be great too. I want to be the guy who walks in with baggy sweats and press 2pl8
>>
File: L1wK6bY.jpg (210 KB, 904x1044) Image search: [Google]
L1wK6bY.jpg
210 KB, 904x1044
>>34951085
famo pretty much any powerlifter between 148 (ultramanlet/dwarf class) and the superheavyweights (maybe a couple 275 and 308s too) is going to be aesthetic. there's no advantage in being fat as shit outside of the superheavyweights where there's no weight limit, because then you wasted all your weight on fat instead of muscle and that means shitty numbers
>>
File: 1429479234764.png (819 KB, 615x605) Image search: [Google]
1429479234764.png
819 KB, 615x605
>>34951168
you're assuming people on /fit/ lift m8
>>
>>34951431
candito is a big guy
>>
>>34951431
>tfw you will never be that big because you're a 5'7 manlet
fuck this shit I don't give a fuck about women I just to be taller so I can put on more muscle.
>>
>>34951466
>tfw 6'3 fatfuck who cant lose weight to save his life
Life aint fair brah
>>
>>34949055
one drives the other

your chest won't look big unless you're benching 350+
you won't bench 350+ with small chest
(all at a reasonable bodyfat)

aesthetics = just low bodyat
(except for skeletons on the one end and mass monsters on the other end of spectrum)
>>
I lift for strength because I'm good at it, and making very fast progress despite having elite numbers, so I guess I'm going to ride this train to see how far I can get.
>>
>>34951524
>making very fast progress despite having elite numbers
interested in stats

i ohp 80kg currently and still progress at 3-4kg monthly
everytime i say that people call me out for roids (hurrdurr it's impossible to progress do once you hit 1 pl8)
(and i'm 210 with 6ft1 arm span)
>>
>>34951503
Fuck you. Even if you have a medical condition (sucks but just work harder) you can do it. Fuck that mentality mate.

We all gonna make it
>>
>>34949055
When I started out in February my mentality was "just lift heavy ass weights" and I lifted heavy ass weights with no real diet control until July/August. Now I'm lifting for aesthetics and I have my diet under control, so things are working out well I suppose.
>>
>>34951570
Last stats in Late August were
230kg/170kg/300kg in IPF competition

Everything is moving very well in training right now and hitting PR's left and right, hoping for 250/185/312.5kg in 3 weeks, although can never tell if I'll actually hit them, I'm most confident about hitting my deadlift though.

December 25th will have me been lifting for 2 years
>>
Aesthetics training IS strength training. You're literally never going to grow and achieve m-muh aesthetics if you don't get stronger, are you? How are people still this fucking retarded. Progressive overload is the only way to gow, and how is this achieved? By getting stronger. When people say "oh I'm training for aesthetics" immediately assume they're fucking retarded, because they don't know the first thing about lifting.
>>
>>34952251
>being this autistic
You know exactly what people mean, and yes to get some hypertrophy you need to get a little bit stronger, but at the end of the day if you train for Aesthetics then the main goal is Aesthetics, and strength is secondary, no need to be an autistic faggot about it.
>>
>>34952251

Youre kind of oversimplifying things.

Also you can look terrible and have amazing lifts and viceversa.

For most strength and aestethics just magicaly happens together though, but i guess its possible to focus on one and not the other.

I personally dont care at all about aestethics meanwhile i know guys who wont up the weight on squats until they can do 4x16
>>
>>34952286
>>34952299
The main difference is exercise selection. Obviously if your main goal is to get stronger in the big lifts you'll be doing accessories towards that (box squats, defecit deads etc). The only difference if you're aiming for aesthetics is that you're doing lifts that are purely for looks, like flies, lateral raises etc, but you still need to get stronger on those lifts to see any growth, so you're still technically training for strength.
>>
>>34949124
it's funny cause I did the contrary
Ialways trained for styrength until I broke a knee and now tht I can't really use heavy weight nor squat, I train for something like aesthetics
>>
Strength will last for all your life if you don't stop exercising even if lightly. Aesthetics will be lost sooner or later, and later down the road will require you to go greater lengths with roids and shit in order to mantain.

You think all those turbo gramps you see running or biking like motherfuckers ever trained for muh aesthetics? They were most likely doing manual labour all of their life and now are working to keep that strenght and energy, and likely never cared about muh low bodyfat and hypertrophy.
>>
>Impying you cant do both

The 3-6 rep range is perfect for natties to not only get strong but to gain mass. Not to mention that if you're always eating to grow you'll be gaining mad muscle.
>>
too damned old and ugly for aesthetics, so strength it is.
>>
>>34951431
1% of /fit/ does lift
>>
BULLSHIT. I lift for myself
>>
>>34950899
My man
>>
>>34951503
>who cant lose
That's just stupid. Yes you can lose weight. Just put the fork down and do some cardio. Building muscles is a different animal. Some can do it easily, some can't. Injuries, accidents might stop you from lifting. Nothing stops you from losing weight apart from yourself.
>>
Apologizes for the long reply. Power went out here. Anyways, I should've been more specific & ask what you prefer to train for. Yes, you train for both at the same time. Although I was curious what peoples primary select was. I prefer strength. When I started out, I was all about muh aesthetics. As time progressed, I moved toward strength. I want to be the strongest I can be. If you rely on aesthetics to get girls.. You need to develop more personality, IMO. I'm not very aesthetic myself. When I cut from 270-170, I was pretty lean. Now ill float around the mid to early 190's. I'll cut back down to 181 for yolo meets. My stats are okay. 455 skwaat, 525 diddlylift, shitty 315 bench & 215 OHP. Have video's I can upload. Cutting weight hasn't ever been too big of a deal, I'll stop eating as much & throw in some cardio. My job is pretty physical as - is, so throwing an extra 20 minutes of cardio 3 days a week is icing on the cake. Would eventually like to move to 198. The competition for 198 is stought where I live, although 181 is competitive locally. One of the best things I did was hope on a program. I winged it daily for the first 2 years. Since I've hopped on a program, the first time I tan it I put on about 30lbs each lift.. Pizza brahs. Pizza is my weakness.
>>
Both.

I have no need to max out either since I'm not making a career out of them, so I go middle of the road.

I focus on things that will give me strength for sports that I love (HEMA, gymnastics, rock climbing, obstacle courses, buildering, backpacking, archery) and the rest just falls into place.

Hepburn method does well for this, so I alternate days of heavy singles with large rest intervals and days with large sets and reps.
>>
>>34951508

Candito is small as fuck and he benches 350 at 160 lbs. He's got an Otter mode upper body and the legs of tom platz.
>>
File: Poezdka-v-Orenburg-Chast2-15.jpg (398 KB, 848x1280) Image search: [Google]
Poezdka-v-Orenburg-Chast2-15.jpg
398 KB, 848x1280
>>34949055
both
>>
>>34949055
both but most concerned with looking lean than moving massive weight.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.