[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bench press morphology
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
File: imagesCA4A5QKH1.jpg (11 KB, 244x207) Image search: [Google]
imagesCA4A5QKH1.jpg
11 KB, 244x207
Just read in a musculation book that there's a bench press morphology. Wich is:

> Short arms
> Big rib cage

And it's true when you see all the bench press champions fits these two categories or at least one by far.
I have none of these caracteristics and my chest is actually my weak point.

Is it judicious to replace bench pressing by dumbell bench press ?
Pic semi related.
>>
rebump niggas
>>
Dumbell bench press is superior to barbell bench press when it comes to mass, so go ahead
>>
>>34948348
It wont make a difference if you replace one for the other, you should add more assistance exercises and add volume. i.e ( db flyes, dips)
>>
Dumbbell bench is better from a purely strength/mass/symmetry standpoint, yes.

HOWEVER

It's very difficult to find a gym with either plate-loaded dumbbells or dumbbells in 2.5lb (1kg) increments which is absolutely necessary if you want to progress with any certainty.
>>
>>34948878
>which is absolutely necessary if you want to progress with any certainty.

no they aren't
>>
>>34948348
Unless you intend to compete in powerlifting then sure, keeping or replacing bench press does not matter.
>>
>>34948886
Sorry, should have said linearly progress.
>>
>>34948902
weight is only a single metric, there are several other good ones that you can linearly progress with.
>>
File: Wolverineisscary.jpg (10 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
Wolverineisscary.jpg
10 KB, 275x183
>>34948348
Well, just because you can't WIN at a bench press match, doesn't mean you can't use the bench press as an exercise.
>>
>>34948907
Like what?
>>
>>34948913
You could go up in either sets or reps.
>>
>>34948926
Sure you can always progress in sets but it gets counterproductive eventually. Progress in reps (below, let's say, 20) is just progress in weight by a different name.
>>
Idk, I have a huge rib cage, long-ish arms and my bench is fucking terrible
>>
>>34948942
You're a faggot
>>
>>34948942
How is it progress in weight by another name? That doesn't make any sense. Also we're talking about what to do if you don't have a way to linearly up your weights.
>>
>>34948985
More reps at the same weight means you could do the same reps (as last time) at a higher weight.
>>
>>34949003
So you're admitting it's another metric you can increase for progress...
>>
>>34949039
Nah, it's just another way to progress in weight which, again, is damn near impossible to do linearly on bench with 10lb increments.
>>
>>34948348
If you are deciding to become a powerlifter world champion, but you have long arms and a tiny rib cage, i would not aim for the bench press.

However, even people with long arms and tiny ribcages can become incredibly strong in the bench press, if you work your ass off.
Stick to barbells if you can.It's easier to learn and scales easier,also, it's easier for other people to spot you. Also more available, as every gym on the planet has a bench rack, gyms with big enough dumbbells/plate loaded dumbbells are rare.
>>
>>34948826
Seriously, that's what I'm aiming for. Any source on that ?

>>34948878
Well when I used to do dumbell presses, I didn't find it difficult to progress trough the 2kg gap between all the weights.

>>34948893
>>34948911
Yeah well you know. Bench Press is THE shit for so many people that I felt guilty/scared about taking it out of my routine.

>>34948949
Go read Frederic Delavier's work. The man knows everything about muscles and bones. It's from him that I learned what I said about long arme and small rib cage. The fact that you have longish arms will make your shoulders go lower than they should and it may cause injuries.
>>
>>34949094
Not him but it requires more muscle mass to stabilize. More muscles used - more mass gained.
>>
>>34949076

Well. It's not only a question of morphology to be honest. I've been making progress in every part of my body but my chest is slow as fuck to grow. The thing is a lift now the double weights of what I used to. And since the September, I lift 20 more kg than what I used to. I'm lcearly getting stronger but my chest doesn't fucking grow and mann my dream is to have a big chest.
>>
>>34949108

Perfect, you guys convinced me. I wish I asked this before my today's workout.
>>
>>34948348
>This just in: manlets are better at bench press
You don't say.
>>
>>34949236
Well I didn't fucking know that.
I started lifting at the same time as a manlet friend. The guy's bench press kept on getting better while I stagnated during a long fucking time.
Now he was a gorilla's chest and I'm fucking jealous.
>>
File: 1367098091405.gif (486 KB, 475x347) Image search: [Google]
1367098091405.gif
486 KB, 475x347
>>34949063
All the dumbbells at every gym I've been to go up in 5lb increments. That seems like a reasonable amount to progress to me.

The real limitation has been max dumbbell weight. 120lbs seems heavy until you're using 100s. Where do you go after that? Either to the bench or to a machine you can plate load where each grip moves independently.
>>
>>34949290
You're not progressing in 5lb increments though. You have two dumbbells.

It's hard enough to progress 5lb at a time in the later stages of linear progression on the bench.
>>
>>34949267
It's also why they're better at squats and OHP, m8. I think height is an advantage for deadlift though. I'm 6'2 between otter and athletic mode (definitely not fuckhuge), but pull as much or greater than most of the "big" manlets at my gym.

All comes down to leverages and ROMs.
>>
>>34949094
how about you stop looking for excuses in books and fuckin hit the gym newbie
>>
>>34949315
sounds like a newb bench presser.
>>
>>34949342

No
>>
>>34949267
>>34949338
kill yourselves you lanklet pricks

im not "better" at any lift you piece of shit

at 5'3" i have a tiny skeleton (but not with dwarf proportions, so no advantage there) compared to you and i'll never add enough muscle mass to bench 600, squat 800 or The Press 425

and even if i did i'd still be weaker than a taller guy doing the same, becuase he'd do it over a larger ROM

you guys are just retarded as fuck and dont know how to take advantage of being tall so you have shit lifts

fuck off
>>
>>34948348
You're confusing correlation with causation. The top benchers have strong benches because they have big chest and short arms, making a small rom.
>>
>>34949315
Like I said, 5lbs isn't unreasonable to me. Do your thing though.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.