[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I reached 2pl8 deadlift today. The weight wasn't a big problem
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 8
File: firm grip.jpg (121 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
firm grip.jpg
121 KB, 960x640
I reached 2pl8 deadlift today.
The weight wasn't a big problem but my grip really failed with a normal hook grip. Even though I dried my hands and the bar before my set I'd still get really sweaty and shitty grip at 4-5 reps.
I was thinking I might have to switch grips when I reached 2pl8, so what's the better option?
Switch grip
Getting straps
Liquid chalk (my gym doesn't allow normal chalk)
>>
mixed grip and chalk
>>
>>34893477
>grip failing from 225
You're not going to make it
>>
>>34893477
Mixed grip.

I use double overhand (different from hook) until 315 when I switch to mixed grip, at 450 I add chalk and 5 plate I add a belt.

Basically don't be a pussy, use mix grip. You don't beed chalk until your heavy. Also do more rows and pull ups and deads to increase that grip.
>>
>>34893502
I'm not so sure It's my grip failing. I am just so damn sweaty after a couple of reps, that It slips. (I'm doing a normal deadlift with a grip just outside hips, so they're in the smooth area of the bar)
I even tried a couple of reps with switch grip and it didn't exactly seem fool-proof either becuase I still got really sweaty and the bar drops to my fingertips.
>>
>>34893477
Keep double overhand, last few reps of last set switch if you need to

/thread
>>
File: image.gif (3 MB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
3 MB, 300x169
>>34893559
The only thing that chalk does is keep your hands from sweating. If that's your problem then you should think about using chalk. Making your own liquid chalk is easy and cheaper than buying it online or at a store, google recipes for it.
>>
>>34893646
This seems like a pretty good idea, thanks.
>>
>hook grip fails at 2pl8

m8 are you sure you're using proper hook grip and not just double overhand but calling it hook?

my hands get sweaty as fuark, like almost dripping at one point, and proper hook grip didn't fail me until just after 3pl8 when I started using chalk
>>
>>34893477
If your grip is failing at 2pl8, you'll want to increase your grip strength, no? So don't do mixed grip, as that'll only increase the deficit between grip strength and pulling strength.
Do farmer's walks.
>>
>>34893477
Definitely get chalk. My gym doesn't allow regular chalk either, so I just dissolve it 90% isopropyl alcohol until it's a viscous/semen-like consistency and that's worked well for me
>>
>>34893769
I'll try improving my hook grip until I get my chalk shipped. Thanks for the advice.
>>
File: 1442194985173.jpg (113 KB, 687x914) Image search: [Google]
1442194985173.jpg
113 KB, 687x914
>>34893477

>buy chalk
>mix with alcohol
>put it in a small bottle
>apply on hands
>????
>deadlift
>>
Don't use hook grip for deadlifts. Save it for Oly.

Definitely use chalk.

Do warm-ups with double overhand and then your work set or sets with straps or mixed grip.

I think that as long as you're not training for power lifting, straps are better than mixed grip, since you avoid any chance of shoulder and bicep damage. I might just be biased though since I have poor ROM rotating my forearms.
>>
File: 600_1_.webm (1 MB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
600_1_.webm
1 MB, 640x640
>>34893978
There is nothing wrong with deadlifting with hook grip

>>34893769
He's double overhanding no doubt

>>34893477
Either learn what real hook grip is or do alternating grip. Either/or.
>>
Mixed grip is easy af and I never have grip issues. Never felt the need to use hook grip desu lad
>>
>>34894461
You're tall right? Do you always pull sumo?
I'm 6'5" and I've been having trouble with DL form.
>>
>>34893477
grip exercises I guess?

I just got up to 2pl8 this week and only just started to feel my grip being slightly weak on the last rep after 40kg x5, 60kg x5, 90kg x5 then work set of 100kg x5.

I've been doing farmers walks and shrugs with 30-40kg since day one of starting SL5x5, really helped my grip.
>>
Same problem OP
I double overhand until I know I can't hold it for another set. After that I just alternate cross-grip for the remaining sets

As long as you make sure to use alternating grip evenly (1 set left hand, 1 set right hand, etc.) you won't go quasi-modo
>>
>>34893477

don't listen to >>34893502
fucking retarded

If the problem is sweaty hands, get chalk.

Use double overhand throughout warmup until it starts failing and then switch to mixed.

Straps aren't really necessary until you're doing bigger volume across a lot of pulling exercises. If you have to do heavy deadlifts/cleans but also need to do accessories like high pulls and rows in a single workout then you would use straps on the accessories.

Using chalk and hookgrip whenever you can is best practice imo.

Grats on 2pl8 deadlift. You'll keep progressing quickly to 3
>>
File: 1447344379696.webm (3 MB, 392x490) Image search: [Google]
1447344379696.webm
3 MB, 392x490
>>34894486
6'4" so pretty tall.
>did you always pull sumo?
No I'm doing most of my training cycle conventional right now, actually. Sumo is what I do when I am at a meet.
Are you pulling conventional?
I am stronger sumo but I feel good conventional. Probably because I'm bad at sumo.

What's your question friend?
>>
File: 1LvMc6G.jpg (151 KB, 793x524) Image search: [Google]
1LvMc6G.jpg
151 KB, 793x524
>>34894511

>Be me. Weightlifting 4 years before found /fit/
>never knew what 2pl8 was
>always felt weak because thought 2pl8 deadlift was really fucking heavy 200kg
>mfw I can deadlift 165kgx3
>>
>>34894584
>weightlifting
You mean lifting weights? Or were you training snatch and c&j?

>165x3
>4+ years of training
What the fuck anon
>>
>>34894584
how could you possibly think that 2pl8 was 200kg...

2pl8 can only be interpreted (correctly) as 2 plates on each side or (incorrectly) as two total plates [one on each side].
>>
I'm not OP, but I'm also having doubts about my form, I thought I was okay but after seeing myself deadlift I've realise I'm rounding my back too much.
I feel it's because my hips are too high... But Rippetoe advises that lower hips reduce deadlifts to a squat right?

I've been lifting almost 2 months now, and I think I've been too eager to up the weights each session, maybe I could do with going down 5 kilos, what do you guys think?
Video related:
https://youtu.be/pXFjQYJZvdI
>>
>>34894660
STOP IT
>>
>>34894660
Your back is in fact too round
It is likely caused by your hips being too high

Fix that shit, you can do stiff-legged deads to isolate your hammies
>>
>>34894660
It's terrible. You even start the lift with your back rounded. You propably have poor mobility. My advice is to take LOT of weight off and stretch.
also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1IGeJEXpF4
>>
>>34894734
Yeah I usually have my hips lower but I started to feel they were too low - however I doubt my form was really any better. After my working set my lower back would always be sore for at least 10 minutes afterwards.
>>34894764
That video helped a lot, cheers.
>My advice is to take LOT of weight off
pls no
Nah I will probably go down to 85-90 next week.
>>
>>34894859
do this too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEy_czb3RKA
>>
>>34894660
1 you are wearing running shoes and I can see you are off balance trying to lock it out
2 i see the bar is too far forward not even close to mid foot
3 you shoot your hips up first with your chest down causing you to use your lower back from shit form

solution
go bare foot if you don't own flat shoes
bring the bar closer to your shins/mid foot
squeeze your lats to the point you can't slide anything into your arm pits
pull the slack out the bar with your chest up
and gl
>>
>>34893477

Meh. If you have metal plates in your gym, take two 25 pound plates and place them together so the faces are inward and whats left on each outer side is the smooth side. Then lock your thumb onto the one of the smooth sides and lock your other fingers onto the other side and just hold onto it for as long as you can. This improved my grip strength, might work for you. There are other grip strength improving techniques im sure, this is just a basic one I did back when I was learning how to train.
>>
File: 2015-11-12_19.08.18.jpg (1015 KB, 2048x2048) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-12_19.08.18.jpg
1015 KB, 2048x2048
>>34894660
Sorry it took so long to reply but your setup is what's causing that. Start with the bar over your midfoot, hip hinge to get down to the bar (don't bend your back to get here) then bend knees until shins are touching bar, then initiate pull.
Your hips are, in fact, low for a deadlift.

Hope this helps

Sorry for shaky thumb, my app doesn't have straight lines
>>
>>34895063
>>34894980
You guys are right, I'm a moron - I think what I was doing wrong was setting it up in the mid way of my toes to my ankle, not toes to heel.

I'll also start doing deads in flat shoes too, and incorporate RDL/SDLs
>>
>>34895161
But that's not mid anything besides toe
>>
>>34893491
dont bring that shit here. were all going to make it and this is a reasonable thread.
>>
>>34893491
>putting another /fit/izen down for starting somewhere

confirmed for newfag
>>
i've been lifting for 4 months and hit 2pl8 without even failing once. Unless you're a manlet, a woman, or injured, you should not be having trouble with 2pl8, there's something wrong with your form.
>>
>>34895216
>if you do not progress at the same rate as I do there is something wrong with you
>>
Not only is your grip failing at a measly 225, but its failing with HOOKGRIP. I can do 315 fucking onehanded hookgrip faggot fix your shit
>>
>>34895200
Word to your mother
>>
>>34895259
Hey, I think you may be on the wrong board man. cm is that way---->
>>
>>34895216
Literally fucking hit 180kg after 4-5 months of deadlifting, you are fucking up.
>>
>>34895280
Hmm? No that was my first post.

I was agreeing with the dude that only faggots like this >>34895246 feel the need to put others down due to their massive insecurities.

P.S currently at the gym training tris and chest.
Anyone else sweating?
>>
>>34895310
My mistake, I thought you were >>34893491
trying to be sarcastic. I love you :)
>>
>>34895310
Nothing gets me sweating like DB rows and deadlifts
>>
>>34893477
I've never tried liquid chalk, but I'd say avoid switching grip at such light weight. Straps are worse, gloves too. I'd recommend toughing it out, really concentrate on a strong crushing grip when you grab the bar first, pause to readjust grip every Rep if you must, but at 2 plate you really shouldn't be switching. And you should be training your grip in other ways in the meantime.
>>
>>34893477
>2pl8
>grip failing

Its as if you're 160 pounds 5'10 skele who thinks his metabolism is magically higher than everyone elses

Are you even trying?
>>
>>34895328
True that, back at ya :) I love all who are positive.

>>34895335
And hit that shit bro. In between tricep pulldown sets right now. Sweating like crazy in this Australian heat ahhh
>>
>>34893477
ive been doing switchgrip (one over one under, switch every set) since I started from one plate lifts to my max of 385. Sometimes you just gotta keep it simple and lift the fuckin weight
>>
>>34895454
It's form over weight all day round here, bro
>>
>>34894461
Oh look, it's board posting the only videos he has while on cycle.
>>
>>34895698
Or it's a video showing hook grip

>oh look it's another needlessly mad anon for no reason at all
>>
>>34895398
Not the guy you replied to but I'm currently starting to hate homegym masterrace in my backyard.
>>
>>34893491
gtfo this aint /b dont put senpai down

were all gonna make it
>>
>>34896275
>senpai
wtf did it change senpai to senpai?
>>
>>34893646
...that's not the only thing chalk does. It increases the friction on the bar and can also be used (somewhat) to fill in certain spots of your hand to prevent tearing of calluses.
>>
>>34895657
Not him, but the fuck does form have to do with this? Mixed grip is literally the default form for any sort of heavy dead lifting.

Get liquid chalk. Chalk is essential for pulling to begin with.

Use mixed grip. Its not the devil that dumbasses around here treat it as. Its a hell of a lot better than hook grip.
>>
>>34896364

Its more of a personal preference than one being absolutely better than the other. The grip strength between the two is pretty similar, its just which feels better and which set of risks you consider more important to avoid that sets the two apart.
>>
>>34896364
>>34896399

when you use hookgrip the bar sits lower in your hands making it almost like a very very slight block/rackpull letting you pull ever so slightly more.
>>
>>34896364
Because your grip defines form.. ?
It's how you hold your back/leg width etc you moolie.
Do you even lift?
>>
>>34893477
stop relying on gimmicks to boost your DL. work on your grip by doing more DL without hook, straps or other bullshit. volume builds strength. also do other exercises (accessories) that build grip: farmers walks, shrugs, pendlay rows, concentration curls, lat pulldowns etc
>>
>>34893477
Keep going, don't go up in weight though until you can feel vonfident with your grip there
>>
>>34896648
Yes I lift. And since when in hell is mixed grip considered poor form compared to overhand or hook?

>>34895657
in response to
>>34895454
Directly implies that mixed grip is considered poor form.

>>34896729
Chalk and mixed grip are not gimmicks. They are both considered standard for any sort of deadlifting. Neither are cheating. They both just allow you to lift and use what you have more effectively. Going "120% full raw functional strength no wraps no belt no chalk double overhand only" is just limiting yourself and making your training more difficult without adding any real benefit.
>>
>>34896729
Other lowrbody/back pulls help too,
I do hang and power cleans too as well as pull ups chin ups and Pendlay rows and my grip never fails
>>
>>34893484
This
>>
>>34894584
Dude I've been lifting for almost a year and pull more than you. Wtf are you doing?
>>
Mm straps? You want to lift as heavy without having a issue with grip
>>
I use mixed grip with ought straps, then when going into the 350 lbs range I use straps with normal grip, just practice not using straps your grip will get stronger
>>
>>34895200
Let's be honest, m8.
Any decent man should be able to pull 225 on his first day lifting.
>>
Had the same problem as you, OP.
you gotta train grip
do pullups (even assisted will do)
really focus on crushing the shit outta the bar
hold the last rep at the top as long as you can
Now I got no problem double overhanding 3pl8
We're all gonna make it brah
>>
>>34897164
Fuck you bro, I've pulled my back pulling less than.
Throw out the ego.
>>
OP I'm fairly new to lifting and was stuck at 2pl8 using hook grip but today I pulled 3pl8 for the first time using mixed grip and then was even able to throw on another 25 per side. I definitely couldn't rep out on it but I got it up twice.
>>
>>34897235

99% chance you have absolutely no idea how to hook grip properly if there's that level of difference between it and your mixed grip.
>>
>>34897244
I actually just have a really shitty wrist because I broke it several times between the ages 11 and 15 when I was big into skateboarding, hook grip seemed to pull on it in just the right way to cause a lot of pain but that went away with mixed grip. I know it shouldn't normally be that much.
>>
>>34893836
This.

I stopped my farmer's walks and my grip suffered as I progressed to higher weight DL's, started farmer's walks again and haven't had ever since, I haven't had any noticeable grip issues moving up the weights.
>>
How can your grip fail if you already use hook grip? I wouldn't recommend switching to mixed grip unless it's completely necessary. I would probs just try to keep on lifting double overhand and working on grip strength.
>>
>>34893769

This. I just did double overhand until like 3pl8 and then switched to hook grip
>>
Is one plate 25 kg or 20 kg? Do you count the bar when calculating your lifts?
>>
>>34897898
there are 35kilo pl8s. but most are 20. they usually have a number on them.

45lb is 20.4kg
>>
>>34897965
I mean, when people say 1-2-3pl8 do they mean 20 kg plates?
>>
>>34897898
>>34897898
I also want to know this. I thought 1 plate was 25 kg and that the bar weighs 20 kilograms. Turns out that 1 plate is 20 kilograms (44 lbs, they round it to 45 for some reason) and the bar weighs 20 kilograms. I am lifting 2 plates of 25 kg on my sides and everybody is lmao2pl8, m8.

Really fucks with my head.
>>
>>34898043
*thought bar weighs 10kg at first, not 20
>>
>>34893477
isnt liquid chalk and chalk the same thing??? even though one comes out of a bottle then turns into chalk, its still chalk?
>>
>>34894461
ive been told hook grip when not done for the purpose of clean jerkin that shit, can lead to a stronger chest and over development of the chest, causing that hunch back look.

So I just never do it lol
>>
File: rippetoe-cowboy.jpg (30 KB, 275x450) Image search: [Google]
rippetoe-cowboy.jpg
30 KB, 275x450
>>34897981
N plate = 20kg bar + N 20kg plates on each side. Or for USA 20kg=>45 lbs
>>
>>34894647
and for that very reason I used to read 1pl8 as 70kg, and 2 pl8 as 120 kg etc
yurp
>>
>>34893477
Get a strap on m8, it's well known fact that actually having something to fuck with increases grip strength, and also you'll be giving sweet smoothe handjobs to your boyfriend
>>
>>34894604
>>34896973
Not him, but I did 140kg after a year, until I found out I had a severe leg length discrepancy, besides some scoliosis and kyphosis.

The leg length discrepancy causes major pain in one side of my back when lifting, and has some long term effects. I'm down to 110kg now, doing slow LP after deloaded after getting some soles to adjust my leg difference.

I probably could just push the weight still, but I don't want to risk my back snapping.

Not everyone can progress as normal human beings. I'm just happy I can deadlift still, and I try to plan with years in mind, not just months, as I'd like not to have spinal arthritis before I'm 50.
>>
>>34895063
His hip is high and he is leaning forward because the bar is too far forward. The starting position is when the bar starts to break the floor. His hips is low during "set up" which is fine as long as you can get into the proper position for the pull.
>>
>>34893477
This is probably because you're bouncing the bar off the ground. Do paused deadlifts like you're meant to and you won't have this issue at 100kg.
>>
>>34893484
fucking shit advice. 2lmaop8 are nothing. You shouldn't have any grip strength issues with light weight like this. Either you don't deadlift regularly or you have shitty genetics.

5 5 manlet here, who dl that weight after 4 months without any grip issues.
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.