[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who /running/ here? >that great feel after an evening run
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 10
Who /running/ here?

>that great feel after an evening run in the dark

Come feel good feels with me brehs
>>
Long runs at twilight are the best bruh. You don't even need to listen to music since it will look so nice out and that will be enough to keep you interested.
>>
>>34892548
>tfw black

I wanna run in the dark but being killed scares me.

>tfw breaking an old record by just a few seconds when you weren't even aiming to
My 10km time is just a few seconds off finally being under 50min, my 5km time is slowly but surely reaching 20min. Who else here finds setting a new running pr infinitely more satisfying than a squat/bench/dead pr?
>>
>tfw your shithole country is way to dangerous to run between 7pm~8am on the streets

i miss Germany, running from 5~7am was GOAT, and the cold was quite nice. In Brasil all i get is mugged
>>
>>34892548
>tfw went for a run today
>knees were on fire once I got home

Does this mean I'm doing it right?
>>
>>34892603
No, it probably means something is wrong. Legs and calves should be what can be sore.

Make sure you're running with good shoes depending on your stride
>>
>>34892572
I enjoy listening to some mellow americana/similar music when running, helps getting in a calm, comfy mood when running. Might try running without music sometime though.
>>
Is running on tarmac really going to put 3 tonnes of pressure on my joints? That's what my dad says and doesn't recommend me running because of it
>>
>>34892593
> iktfb

I think it's because you have to work at it for around 20 mins, you have to push it, not knowing for certain if you've done it. Then you reach the end, check the stopwatch, see the time.

> mfw
>>
>>34892644

Run with good technique and your joints will last you, well, your lifetime. The people that fuck their joints up spend years running with shit technique, or, they are proper elite compete at the highest level, there's a reason athletes have a short career.
>>
>>34892667

sorry for the shit grammar, should read,

> they are the proper elite that compete...
>>
>>34892644
I run barefoot at the local park who's grass is meticulously maintained, shit is so cash. I ran once on tarmac and footpaths/sidewalks and came home to some terrible pain, I'm guessing a good shoe could help with this? Anyone able to recommend a good running shoe for hard surface running?
>>
>>34892618
My legs and calves are sore afterwards, but just after running when I sit down at home my knees and just above feel really hot
>>
>havent run more than 2-3 miles at once
>not a lazy or fat fuck
>switch to texas method
>decide to run more on recovery day
>run 5 miles
>foot sore
Apparently it's the quadratus plantae (the floor muscle of foot). Does this mean I have bad stride or stance? And I've tried to do a midfoot step every time I run instead of heel.
Or is it just regular doms?
>>
>>34892651
This is why it feels so much better. Lifting is over and done with in seconds, you hit it or don't. Running is something you're pushing for ages, there's no way to know until that feedback tells you your final 5km time and by then you've been at it so long it's orgasmic hearing a number below a previous best.
>>
>>34892644
I don't think that's how physics works, but it is much nicer to run on a dirt trail or gravel or even short grass. Trail running is popular these days, check out if you have a local community to find good trails or check out your local parks.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-12-19-26-33.png (88 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-12-19-26-33.png
88 KB, 540x960
download the Nike running app.
It tracks your runs with GPS saves all your progress and gives you achievements.

>Please no bully I'm a beginner so my stats are shit.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-12-19-29-15.png (146 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-12-19-29-15.png
146 KB, 540x960
>>34892735
>>
>>34892735
>>34892753
It's not too bad, I was at that level not too long ago (my fastest 5k is 25min).

I do like running apps but sometimes it's so nice to just run a 5k without being tracked and timed, running at a pace that doesn't fucking kill you but still makes you tired
>>
>>34892640
If you're looking to break PR's, it may help you to not listen to music so you can focus more on breathing and your pace
>>
Went for run about 8 30 pm tonight.
Feels good.
Was a bit worried about the wet in case I fell over but it was actually fine.
x
>>
>>34892785
Not always looking to break PRs, usually I listen to music to keep the pace (asthmatic so having a too high of a pace early on fucking kills me), breathing comes naturally
>>
>>34892753
>>34892735
>tfw never run for more than 4 miles
>run at a 7 minute pace every time I go out
>fastest mile that i've timed was 5:30, but I'm sure i could do it faster now
is it just me or is it hard to run at a slower pace than what feels natural
I usually run with short strides and I move my legs quickly as opposed to taking long strides at a slower speed
>>
>>34892753
OI

HOW THE FUCK DID YOU PULL UP THE SCREEN WITH ALL YOUR PERSONAL BESTS?!!?
>>
File: 1447112522996.jpg (28 KB, 408x324) Image search: [Google]
1447112522996.jpg
28 KB, 408x324
Hey, never ran before. I'm a fatty and was wondering where to begin, any tips? I hope to one day run a 5 minute mile.
>>
Any of you guys have really big phones?
I'm asking because I used to have a S5, and now I have a Nexus 6, and both would pull my pants down when I ran. It worked fine when I had a gym membership, since I'd just pound away at the treadmills with the phone in the windowsill, but I don't really have that luxury anymore. You guys bring small backpacks/fannypacks when you run?
>>
Anyone run for the mental health benefits? When I run a few times a week I'm able to shake off a lot of nervous energy. And my depression is kill.
>>
>>34892548

I want to start running but i live in canada and its almost winter.

Point me in the right direction boys
>>
>>34892877

Couch to 5k. It's got an iPhone app and everything.

Helped me a shit ton. Lost 30 pounds on it + gym over about 3 months. I completed it but then got lazy and stopped working out. Picked it up again and it's helping get back to where I was.
>>
>>34892877
http://www.c25k.com/

Helped me getting started with running. Great program.

Good luck breh

>>34892899
I feel better mentally when I exercise regularly, so yeah.

>>34892903
Wear a lot of clothes. Many layers. Hat.
>>
>>34892887
I have an iPhone 6 and compared to the 5 this thing is a brick. I ended up buying a pair of wireless earphones and then just an armband for the phone. though I will say that the armband isn't the most comfy thing when used with wired earphones but with wireless it just sits there without a cable flopping around. This is the solution I've found. I miss my old phone DESU, I could forget that thing was even in my pocket
>>
>>34892959
Yeah, I tried a mate's armband for my S5, and the thing was a pain to use, simply because the phone was a brick that made it roll around on my arm.
Fukkit, I think I'll just stick it in my backpack, I like to bring a water bottle anyway.
>>
Will one of you post your body? Curious to see if cardio kills gains
>>
>>34892989
Yeah it's a balance between being tight enough to not roll around but also not so tight it causes discomfort. I find being a tiny bit towards the tigjt end, while not feeling like I'm wearing nothing at all nothing at all nothin at al is a good enough compromise. It's that or I count how many laps I've done and return to a timer I set. I forget how many reps I've done in the gym I doubt I'll remember laps
>>
>>34892887

i hold mine in my hand. simple.
>>
>>34893040
Doesn't that get sweat all over the phone though?
>>
>shin splints

fuck this, I just want to run brehs

took a break for 2 weeks, tried to get back into it and they didn't heal. guess i'll wait another 2
>>
File: image.jpg (50 KB, 744x402) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50 KB, 744x402
>>34893007
I'm a shit runner so this isn't going to exactly be a fair representation of runners, nor am I a big lifter. A very flattering photo as well.

Do some cardio, even if it does kill your gains you were better off not dying with an extra kg of muscle when you went up a flight of stairs.
>>
>>34892572
>out
outside*
>>
>>34893095

my doesnt unless sweat comes off my head and hits my hands.

i run at night and in the cold so i rarely sweat beyond my forehead.
>>
>>34892838
click on your name you mong
>>
>>34892838
>>34892753
Turns out al I needed to do was make an account and log in. And now I have logged in but it refuses to recognize all my previous best runs and will only tell me my longest and farthest. So I log out and now it tells me I have no runs.

I sometimes fucking hate this app.
>>
>>34893221
I logged 500kms without an account, I never make accounts if i can avoid it but now >>34893221 happened. Looks like I have to go and set new pr's now
>>
>>34893264
haha fuck.
oh well time for a fresh start I suppose .
>>
>>34892822
Nope, this is pretty much exactly what I do too. Doubt I'm ever going to be a distance person, but it's fun to do this every so often.
>>
C25kfag here. How do you mentally survive 20+ minutes of running without dying of boredom? Is it something you learn a long the way?

W5D3 is approaching.
>>
>>34893435
>what is music
>what is daydreaming

With a good playlist I find myself daydreaming myself into some fun shit and come back to reality every 2min or so
>>
File: 1437800186578.png (137 KB, 817x626) Image search: [Google]
1437800186578.png
137 KB, 817x626
I need help bros.

>terrible runner/smoker.

Always hurt my chest to run a block so I never ran

>get fit/quit smoking for years. feeling great decide to try running again
> It clicks, I love it. Run every other day for weeks.
>Work my way up to 5k -- 2 days on 1 day rest

> starts to hurt a bit after every run/ fuck it no pain no gain
> starts to really hurt after every run/ I listen to some motivational shit and push through
> starts to really fucking hurt during the runs/ I take pain pills

> I was taking 1500mg ASA before every run
>pain becomes to much to continue
Give up running four weeks ago, depressed eating everything.
still cant go up or down stairs without pain. But its finally gotten better in my left leg. still right hurts.

Will I ever be able to run right or is my body just inferior? I read stories on here of you guys running every day and doing 10ks like nothing. I would love to be able to run 10k a day.
>>
>>34893989
Have you changed anything around the time it started? Maybe you should see a doctor mate, could help.

>10km
DESU once you can do 5km I find the rest all do able, you can prob do 10km jogging it's just a matter of speed rather than not being able to do the entire thing without stopping. Once you can do 5km without stopping I feel you've broken the walkrunwalkrun barrier. You can do it mate
>>
>>34892644
If your dad knew simple dimensional analysis it might be worth listening to him.
>>
>>34893989
could have fucked yourself doing that pal.
you're fucking retarded to keep going even when you have to take painkillers to do it
>>
>>34893435

>music
>podcasts
>TED talks
>audiobooks

take your pick
>>
How many runnerbros here compete? Anything from professional to challenging yourself at a 5k fun run?

>signed up for a local 5k just for shits
>weak field this year
>took seventh overall at 21:20
>should have tried harder
>>
Just ran a mile without stopping!

First time since high school, and I feel great.

Running feels so much better than lifting, im gonna be honest.
>>
>>34892548
I like running in the morning on my treadmill after coffee but before breakfast. 3 miles feels good. Multiple fans, tv, stereo, favorite tunes.
>>
>>34893989
Yeah you fucked up man. You have to give your muscles, and more importantly, your tendons time to heal. I'm on the verge of achilles tendonitis and the only way that i prevent my shit from seizing up is rest (i.e RxRxRxx), stretching and icing.
>>
>Started jogging a month ago
>already have runners knee
wat do?
>>
File: image.png (655 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
image.png
655 KB, 500x667
>>34894626
Just a warning that being the ubermensch who spends any free moment with consuming knowledge by audio probably isnt a good idea. I lived that way for the past four or five weeks or so and decided last night not to listen to any of that until I meet a personal goal and its really been awakening.

I feel more alert, can hold a conversation more easily, and actually learn things quicker.

Obviously it may not be the same for others, but thats what happened with me.
>>
File: ls5iROi.jpg (2 MB, 3000x2400) Image search: [Google]
ls5iROi.jpg
2 MB, 3000x2400
>>34892548
Who else /runslisteningtoPodcasts/ here?

I run while listening to history podcasts. Audiobooks are sweet too.
>>
>>34894875

>7th at 21:20

wtf, I should start competing
>>
>>34895636
I feel like it requires too much focus. I'd love to listen and learn but when I'm running I need some fast paced hype music if that makes sense. Do you ever feel it detracts from your run? Ever set any personal bests? Maybe I should podcast it up for 10km runs and music for 5km
>>
>>34896081
Yeah I was about to say, sounds like a 20min 5km could win that competition and the /fit/ average 5km time is 13mins after adjusting for estats
>>
>>34892735

I don't understand how you even do what you do. I started running again back in June, and at my absolute best I can manage 30 minutes at a 10 minute mile pace.
>>
>>34896850
How often do you run
>>
File: semen demon question.png (40 KB, 467x400) Image search: [Google]
semen demon question.png
40 KB, 467x400
Sup /fit/. I need to start running now. My BMI is 20.7 and I can do 16 pullups and 25 push ups, but I've pretty much never done cardio. Do I do Couch to 5k like everyone else or is there a better program for me?

Also what do I need to consider when running in winter? What are some good shoes for winter?
>>
I used to love running but now my knee hurts when i bend it. I've got this pain since april and its not getting any better.

>>34892899

It helped me with depression, and now that i can't run, the depression is killing me, i was addicted to running.
>>
>>34897757
Go run
>>
>>34892735
Anyone know a similiar app for windows phone?
>>
>>34892596
Idk Germany opening borders and getting mugged by Syrians now may be as dangerous as Brazil
>>
File: cav.png (1 MB, 1143x393) Image search: [Google]
cav.png
1 MB, 1143x393
>>34896099
To be honest I don't take running seriously enough to try to beat my times and whatnot. I just do it leisurely.

I have to admit that running to podcasts does make me tend to lull into slower running than listening to hyped music. I guess it does detract from performance, but I don't care much about my running performance.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.