[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is your least favorite lift? Mine is the pendlay row. No
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4
What is your least favorite lift?

Mine is the pendlay row. No matter how I do it, even with less weight or looking up vids to improve my form, it always feels awkward and laborious. What are the best alternatives? I think I'll either do dumbbell rows or use the T-Bar machine, what are fit's opinion on those?
>>
Hate that one too, dont even bother doing it.
>>
>>34875294
Look up Ed coan rows, much better imo
>>
>>34875294
I do all of them and seated rows too. Maybe start with pendlay and do light weights to get better form or whatever and do the hard stuff on the other 3 rows
>>
Literally always hurt my central upper back doing pendlay rows. Only lift I literally cannot do without injury.
>>
>>34875294
if you think pic related is a pendlay row then you are doing it wrong
>>
Everyone with a problem with pendlays and bent over rows should try deadstop rows, thank me later anons
>>
I'm with OP. Pendley rows isn't my worst lift but it's certainly the one I enjoy the least. It doesn't feel as satisfying as other lifts.
>>
>>34875394
But pendlay row is a deadstop movement...
>>
File: 225px-Floé_Kühnert_cropped.jpg (14 KB, 225x266) Image search: [Google]
225px-Floé_Kühnert_cropped.jpg
14 KB, 225x266
>>34875294
I enjoy the penalty row. It's not my favorite lift, but it is my most advanced according to the color coded muscle man website. Dumbbell rows are a fine alternative in my opinion.

My least favorite lift in the flat bench press, it just feels unnatural to me, like my arms weren't meant to move like that. I've tried flat back, with the arch, feet on bench, feet in the air. Nothing feels right. Lying triceps extensions feel just fine though, go figure. I do dips and incline bench instead of flat bench.
>>
The deadlift
>>
>>34875554
>color coded muscle man website
i kek'd
>>
File: 1286745379990.jpg (166 KB, 602x468) Image search: [Google]
1286745379990.jpg
166 KB, 602x468
>>34875599
double dubs. you sonofabitch
>>
>>34875577
>the deadlift

same girl same
>>
>>34875294
went back to dumbbell rows after a solid 2 months of doing the pendlay. I got progression result that's for sure, but gee wilikers I felt like a fucking retard doing them. I always had a feeling I was doing them wrong even when my form was fine as it was (little bit too much momentum sometimes) but it just never felt like I was exerting much effort on my muscles.

My least favourite lift would have to be fucking curls legs and arms. Boring as dick fuck and no sense of accomplishment when you finish a set.
>>
>>34875294
I mean I used to have the same problem with pendlays, the thing that ruined it for me was mostly elbows flaring, make sure you tuck them like when benching
>>
Good mornings or w.e the fuck they're called. Too damn awkward and I really don't feel the burn.
>>
>>34875294
Calves. Mainly because I walk about 10km a day for work, so it just fucks up my livelyhood. Plus because I'm walking so much I lose muscle-tone in my calves, or never develop it because I can't go hard.
>>
>>34876470
wut? are you fucking serious?
>>
>>34875294
yes Pendlay rows are the worst. No matter how much I practice the damn movement (before every fucking set including warmup) I'm still so inconsistent. Some sets the weight feels too heavy and there's no way I can finish the set with full ROM. Some sets the weight feels like nothing. What the fuck. And regardless of how it went I never feel the burn.

I must be doing something wrong, but I've done so many form checks at this point that I'm about to give up.
>>
File: 1442194985151.jpg (63 KB, 383x418) Image search: [Google]
1442194985151.jpg
63 KB, 383x418
>>34875294

Do weighted chinups instead. They are a better back exercise anyways.
>>
Rear delt flyes, can't achieve proper form unless using with tiny weights.
>>
>>34876555
They aren't a "feel the burn" exercise.

If you want to burn out your lats/traps/general upper back, DB rows, Tbar rows, Yates Rows, and cable rows are your friend.

If you want to overload the entire back, generally with the purpose of improving your ability to stabilize heavy weight for the deadlift, do pendlay rows. You wouldn't complain about not "feeling a burn" in power cleans, would you? The pendlay row is more similar to the power clean in purpose than it is to most other "rows"

In between the two are pullups and chinups, imo.
>>
>>34875294

why do the pendlay row?

i only see it because of strong lifts. but strong lifts is inferior to mark rippetoe's SS program.

you rly dont need pendlay rows
>>
>>34876612
Thanks. So am I trolling myself by having Pendlay and weighted Chinups as my only upper back exercises for the past 8 months? (doing SS + weighted chins/dips) I really want to have a decent back.
>>
>>34876702
Pendlay row is a deadlift assistance, not a back builder. So in that sense, you have been wasting some time, but you've also been getting stronger overall which means more gainz in the future. It hasn't been completely wasted time.

No one ever got a big back rowing 135 lbs and weighing 155.

If you want a big back, watch this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9WyUT_gwUg
If you want a strong back and a big deadlift, look at the supertraining videos with ed coan and george leeman. Same channel.
>>
+1 to the Pendlay hate club. It probably has the strictest form of any lift I've done, which is the exact opposite of what they tell you. "Oh it's easier to learn through videos than power cleans" bollocks to that. Unless you've been training for years you shouldn't even touch it, it's SO easy to fuck up.
>>
>>34876800
looks like a great resource. thanks a lot.
>>
People who hate pendlay rows tend to have shitty form. You guys need to learn to engage your spinal erectors and hamstrings. It's not a cable row where you tend to sway back and forth; it's a reverse bench press.
>>
>>34876702
>as my only upper back exercises for the past 8 months? (doing SS + weighted chins/dips)

if you are doing SS - then your back exercises should be deadlift, power cleans and pull-ups as accessories.

pendlay rows are barely even accessory in SS.

literally SL employs pendlay rows but he is just a marketing guy. SL employs pendlay because he is retarded and thinks squats, deads and power cleans won't build your back so he has a semi isolation back exercise that wont build mass as a replacement
>>
>>34875294
Normally triceps extensions but today it's deadlifts since I just hurt myself for the 2nd time this week. Got too excited and went from 225 to 255 in a week. Oh well at least I didn't snap my shit up
>>
>>34875294

chest supported rows might help you.
saves your back as well.

my least favorite is squats. lumbar issues mean i dont actually squat anymore. just do lunges. gay af i know.
>>
>>34875369
True.
>>
>>34876026
You are correct. You're meant to be lifting from the elbow to activate your back which is best done when tucked into the body
>>
Dumbbell Side Lateral Raise
>>
>>34875294
thats not a pendlay row
>>
>>34875294
One arm rows. Go heavy on em, 5 or 6 reps. Work up to 8-10 reps with that same weight . when you can do 10 clean reps, go up in weight. I'm using the 95s now
>>
>>34879135
>Side Lateral

Both words mean the same. Don't know why people say this
>>
>tfw Candito upper lower split
>tfw learned to love ALL movements in the program
>tfw i'm not doing anything that I dislike
>tfw the least favourite is bench press. Still like it but I'm weak compared to SQ n DL

Thanks Candito
>>
I don't like OHP. I don't feel that I have proper form and I don't really feel any progress there.
>>
>>34879964
what's your 5RM?
>>
-Any type of shoulder raises
-Most overhead triceps isolation exercises
-Barbell curl
>>
pendlay rows are honestly retarded.

i'm glad i do SS rather than SL
>>
>>34875294
Honestly I just do cable rows instead. I actually fucking feel it so hard and I'm progrressing with it unlike BB rows.
Any reason I shouldn't?
>>
>>34875554
that cause your shoulders aren't supposed to work like that. If you have been lifting for a while you should probably be doing dumbell bench press so that you can bring your elbows in a bit more. Its a much better range of motion
>>
Dumbbell/barbell rows are absolute arse. Leg press hypertrophy is pure hell too.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.