[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Nightmares
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6
File: giphy.gif (498 KB, 500x345) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
498 KB, 500x345
I've noticed that whenever I start an extreme fitness program, about a month in my nights become littered with constant nightmares and sleep paralysis. Am I working too hard? do I need to change my diet? is this effecting or has this effected anyone else?

what can I do to stop this?
>>
>>34869548

oh god same here wtf is this shit
>>
>>34869573
IDK MAN! I READ OTHER PEOPLE ON BODYBUILDING FORUM TALKING ABOUT THIS?
>>
>>34869595
cant help you, this is new to me. never thought it could be related to extreme workout programs. i do split training, morning and afternoon. i just get over it since my gains are as expected.

im trying out to eat when i wake up in the middle of the night. still figuring out what food is best.
>>
>>34869762
Ive been eating lotsa chick peas, peas, chicken, and deli sandwiches with alot of vegatebles. the issue isn't how much you eat. its what you eat. i think i need to spread out my meals more though. that might help
>>
>>34869548
Maybe you just weren't made for this...
>>
>>34869818
kek, yeah, cuz having nightmares has anything to do with my actual fitness.
>>34869762
also lotsa cottage cheese. yummy yummy cottage cheese.
>>
>>34869548

ZMA or magnesium suppliments

I'm a lucid dreamer when under good nutrition. After my harder days, it's always nightmares unless I pop a zma with dinner.

waking up 6-7 times over 5 hours with your latest dismemberment or death still fresh on your eyeballs gets old real quick
>>
>>34871219
Also a lucid dreamer. Cant control anything though, and they keep turning into those weird recursive nightmares where you keep waking up in another dream. Could that be due to poor nutrition?
>>
>>34869548
>effecting
TWICE fuck REEEE
>>
>>34871219
what is ZMA? I'm poor so the only supplement I use is Creatine D3 and B12
>>
>>34872093

ZMA is a magnesium supplement blend

Just get a good Zinc/Magnesium one & take them. Good for test production, and plenty of other shit.
>>
>>34872474

ZMA is Zinc Magnesium Aspartate, minerals bonded to protein to help prevent Calcium from fucking everything up.
>>
>>34872496

and if you really need that for that reason then you've got bigger problems then calcium.

95%+ of the people here drink too much or smoke too much to worry about ZMA vs. Zinc/Magnesium. If you're like me & have the money, do whatever gets you off.
>>
>>34872553
I pretty much stopped smoking and I only drink once a week. I did alot of hallucinogens prior to like 2 months ago
>>
>>34872582

I have a co-worker that still claims mushrooms and LSD aren't hurting her. Bitch has the worst ADD I've ever seen, and that's after she takes her meds. I came to the conclusion that most any scheduled drugs are a bad fucking idea a long lime ago. They may be fun for a while, but shit happens.

My point was that so much shit out there is either over-hyped or just cost more for another 2% of effect. I like my Sennheiser headphones, I like my pricier casien protein over shit-tier Wal-Mart stuff, and I shop at a Whole Foods type place for meat rather then buy a ultra fatass bag of chicken. I can afford it, but if you (or someone else, or me if I lost my job tomorrow cannot, then ballbusting levels of work trump quibbling about brands. twice daily deadlift sessions leave me too tired now for dreams
>>
>>34872703
>Too tired for dreams

When the body is fatigued you're meant to have more vivid dreams so I'd say its more likely that you're just not remembering your dreams.
>>
>>34869548

>dream Im in the audience of some small little speech
>everyone has walkie talkies for some reason
>guy next to me is some australian guy
>he keeps poking me with the antenna and annoying me
>finally take it away from him and tell him he can have it back when he behaves
>he pouts like a little kid the whole time but I refuse to give it to him

what does it mean?
>>
File: ccf23032010_000041-Picart.jpg (1 MB, 2023x1212) Image search: [Google]
ccf23032010_000041-Picart.jpg
1 MB, 2023x1212
>>34869548
This happens to me always. Wake up between 2am and 4am. Awake for 2-3 hours. Usually have to reverse nofap to fall back asleep.
>>
>>34872975
fucking Baphomet was in my nightmares last night
>>
>>34871732

Every cause has an ----? Hint: its it's not an affect. So what's the problem?
>>
>>34872992

My wildest one? I learned to shoot, strip & clean a given machine gun model in a dream. At that time in my life I'd never fired more than a .22 rifle, a 12 gauge, and a 9 mill at camps.

The next day I somehow replicated my dream actions. I'd never seen the gun before the dream that night
>>
File: feels.jpg (10 KB, 260x194) Image search: [Google]
feels.jpg
10 KB, 260x194
Hey OP, this is literally PTSD, albeit a puny version of what soldiers experience.

If your program is too extreme, it chronically elevates your cortisol during extended periods of intense stress, which can cause some pretty weird shit in your brain and lead to bad dreams.

Obviously it can be worse and will probably go away, but as you say it's after a month which is what makes me think it's chronic elevation.
>>
>>34872553
> thinks he can absorb much magnesium alongside calcium
> thinks his magnesium supplements are just magnesium/zinc
>>
>>34873552
I don't think that's it I genuinely enjoy working out and lifting heavy shit. it's very therapeutic.
eh maybe you're right, but I'm the happiest I've been in a very long time

That being said I do believe you, what can/should I do to fix this?
>>
File: Slide1Figure1.gif (11 KB, 298x251) Image search: [Google]
Slide1Figure1.gif
11 KB, 298x251
>>34873589

cortisol is a stress hormone and has nothing to do with mood in this context.

can you give me a typical exercise level over the course of the day and the number of days a week you'll do it or something like it?
>>
>>34873617
>>34873589

PTSD was inaccurate, it's probably closer to typical adrenal fatigue. I went to a seminar last week where he defined PTSD more broadly so I was probably a little too hasty to apply it.

Considering you don't seem to have other symptoms like moodiness, strength loss, or things consistent with overtraining, chances are your elevated cortisol levels aren't high enough to be a major issue, but they manifest as nighttime discomfort.

That is, considering that your workouts are actually as extreme as I'm assuming and not just a two hour workout instead of 90 minutes
>>
I've seen several fitizens mention bad dreams after starting creatine. I take it and never had this but I guess it could affect certain people differently, like maybe if you already have some condition like caladan mentioned.
>>
>>34873729

nah doubt it was creatine. It probably wouldn't be a condition, that's pretty dramatic. My guess is that the workout is overly stressful physically, and he may have lower resting cortisol so an elevation could be more impactful

either that or something else, but considering this is a problem that's been noted in fitness before and never addressed I'm curious on an academic level
>>
>>34873617
warm up = walk a mile on treadmil
Dumbbell bench 3x10
Dumbbell overhead press 3x10
Bent over one arm dumbbell rows 2x10 sometimes 3x10
Shrugs 2x10
Dumbbell deltiod fly or whatever its called 2x15 as well as the similar exercise where you put your arms infront of you instead of to the side 2x15
seated chest fly 3x10
Row Machine 3x10
Overhead press machine 3x10
Overhead Pulldown machine 3x10
Cable tricep pushdown 2x10
Cable upright row 2x10
Cable shrugs 3x10
cable single arm extensions 2x10
cable overhead single arm extensions 2x10
cable pectoral fly 2x10
Assisted dips at 100 pounds resistance 3x10
Lat pulldown 3x10
Seated cable row 2x10
Bike for 15 min 6-8 sensitivity
Sunday Tuesday Thursday

leg days:
Deadlift 2x10
Frontsquat 2x10
backsquat 2x10
Isometric wall squats 2x30 seconds
Leg extensions 3x10
Leg press 2x10
Calve raises with dumbbells 2x15
Leg curl 2x12 (really low weight cuz of hamstring issues)
Isometric Hip adduction 2x30sec
Isometric hip abduction 2x30sec
22 minutes on Bike at 6-7 sensitivity
monday wednesday (friday biweekly)

Saturday and sometimes friday are rest days
>>
>>34873744
are hallucinations a potential side effect of creatine?
>>
>>34873729
it might be that actually. never had problems with creatine before though
>>
>>34873755

yeah that level of volume is a little silly, you're spending a shitload of time at the gym and at a certain stage probably hindering yourself. Do you think you've been making noticeably better gains? If not this may not even be worth the time you spend on it (looks like 3 hours of work)

Two options IMO: keep it up and see if anything gets worse, like irritability, elevated resting heart rate, etc. If not, maybe think about some ways to relax before bed and the dreams might begin to go away.

the other option is to drop what you're doing down to a reasonable high volume routine, something like one or two heavy lifts followed by multiple exercises at high volume, like 5x10, 10x10, 8x8, etc. and see what happens to your progress and your dream issues

>>34873776

not that I'm aware of, but then I don't really know creatine very well. I just know that extreme levels of exercise are definitely a causal factor for nightmares
>>
>>34873796
Well I have hypermobility syndrom so I actually start to have alot of pain if I don't lift or if I lift with bad form so it tends to be the more I work out the more comfortable I am, everyone in my family including the females are pretty genetically strong (men on dads side were rugby players and construction workers, men on moms side are factory workers, pipeline wielders, and farmers)
I don't really feel any exhaustion even though I'm eating a relatively low cal diet. I know what exhaustion feels like and I don't feel any at all.

also, side note, would you suggest adding abs and where/when/what?
>>
>>34873796
TL;DR yes I'm making very noticeable gains. It works in the military not sure why it wouldn't work on anyone and everyone.
>>
>>34873820

uh well I have no experience with routines at that level of volume, so I don't know how to add abwork
>>
What are your stats OP?

I really doubt youi need or benefit from that much bs
>>
>>34871713

lucid dreams are dreams you can control, you might mean you have vivid dreams
>>
File: image.jpg (89 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
89 KB, 500x667
>>34873677
> PTSD
> adrenal fatigue

You're a quack, m8. Nightmares are indicative of stress (ie. adrenal fatigue). Stress is a lot of things, including being unhappy with your life.

PTSD is a different animal. For example, the hypothalamus may shut down. That means no gains, hot flashes, snapped tendons, a dozen cavities, ED, and plenty more. Part of the brain stops functioning, it's a lot like a brain tumor. Flashbacks, panic attacks, persistent feelings of guilt, suicidal thoughts.

>>34869548
> sleep paraylsis

Cataplexy. Narcolepsy goes undiagnosed for 10 years in 60% of cases, talk to your doctor.

Your nights being littered with nightmares indicates your REM sleep is disturbed. This happened with me when I took tricyclic antidepressants [for narcolepsy] which are anti-cholinergic/anti-histamine. In other words, OTC sleep medications do not work and they fuck up your REM.
>>
>>34877442

Yeah I wouldn't have even said PTSD but I went to a seminar the other day where the guy basically showed that PTSD can occur on a sliding scale. Extreme levels of stressful activity chronically elevate cortisol, which is more generally called adrenal fatigue at early stages and can turn into mild PTSD over a longer timeframe
>>
>>34877920

I thought you just flew in from tumblr.

They're trying to expand/obfuscate the definition of PTSD like they do with every other disorder (autism, ADHD, OCD). Pretty soon, like with homosexuals, autism will no longer be consider a disease/disorder but a 'difference'.
>>
>>34878235

I honestly didn't know that was a thing. It was an interesting talk, but yes I suppose you're right that it's medically inaccurate. I got overexcited trying to apply something I learned in real life to /fit/
>>
>>34878235
I would almost argue that autism is just a difference since it isnt very harming to the individual in low levels of the spectrum where as homosexuality actually has physical and mental health issues associated with it.
Autism almost seems to be animalistic in a good way.
>>
Had the same thing during an internship at Carnegie Mellon. I was working with really smart people, I was away from marijuana, I switched to 6 days a week programming (3 days heavy lifting, 3 days hill sprints and yoga, alternating with Sunday as rest day) and cleaned up my diet. It was hard, and I was VERY stressed, and had nightmares most nights.

Went back home, got back on the weed, loosened my diet, but still going hard with academics and training and now no nightmares. Weed suppresses dreams anyway, which might explain some of it, but I think stress plays a role as well. They were all what I would consider "stress dreams". Definitely not PTSD, the whole point of PTSD is the P=POST means you get it AFTER you go through hell, not during.
>>
>>34879274
Man I used to smoke a lot of weed but anymore I don't want to fuck up my lung capacity. my Vo2 max is already in the POOR status. I would love edibles but I dont know anyone that sells them
>>
>>34873038
wow
>>
File: flat,800x800,075,f[1].jpg (138 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
flat,800x800,075,f[1].jpg
138 KB, 600x800
Sleepy Gains Goblin m9 let me help you all get rid of him

>shoo shoo sleepy gains goblin
>>
>>34873080
military propaganda in vidya works

keep playing cod, battlefield, and cs go goys
>>
>>34873755
>all those machines

Jackass
>>
I think nightmares are pretty cool desu. After I grew out of fearing them they just become another cool dream. Actual sleep paralysis where you cant move but are 'lucid' are pretty fucking neato
>>
>>34880366
wat. should I just cut all the non cable machines out?
>>
>>34880422
you're probably fine brah but that ohp machine triggered me
>>
>>34880542
I have to do machines because of hypermobility in order to train for the motions. my joints are fucked, I'm bound together by muscles instead of ligaments
>>
>>34880596
sorry to hear that man

at least youre not a paralyzed fag stuck in a wheel chair

congrats
go celebrate
>>
>>34880627
I... I... I'm broke
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.