[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does /fit/ deal with downers? >Volunteer firefighter for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5
File: otda8rt.png (122 KB, 438x503) Image search: [Google]
otda8rt.png
122 KB, 438x503
How does /fit/ deal with downers?
>Volunteer firefighter for 8 years
>Learn a lot by various people, legit grow up in these 8 years from NEET to functioning adult
>8 years later, study my ass off, get various degrees, learn, and get /fit/ to an offered job as a city firefighter
>job requires a 6 month long academy similar to a boot camp
>been sticking to my routine, kick ass, take names
>get told today that literally all of my old mentors don't think I can be successful at this academy
>all of that gained confidence is shot
>the thought of failing becomes absolutely apparent

Everyone is human, but fuck, I am down. Has anyone been in a situation where they were told they "can't"? Instead of feeling motivated, I feel depressed, how did you "bounce" back exactly? I start this academy in March. It's a long ways off, but man, am I feeling like I just got kicked in the nuts by my best friends.
>>
Are you a mexiCAN or a mexiCAN'T?
>>
>>34861843
I am ameriCAN
>>
Champions dont care what other people say they cant do. You are where you are for a reason.
>>
>>34861864
I agree, but it still doesn't sit right. I'm sure I'll be fine in a few days.
>>
>>34861826
I dealt with those type of people by teaching myself to hate them.

And you should hate those guys for trying to get you down. Those motherfuckers don't know the determination, effort, and willpower you put all into your goal. And for that, they can suck your fucking dick.

Elite as they may be, they're fucking retards for not seeing that in you.

You have to teach yourself to hate the people who get you down and prove them wrong by fucking achieving.

You got this, op. Go fucking win
>>
what are the specific reasons senpai?
>>
>>34861826
>from NEET to functioning adult
the first impression counts. your mentors probably know you as a NEET who made some improvements to his live. they still remember you as the barely functioning kid.

But thats not who you are anymore, right? RIGHT???
[now perform some maori dance while grunting and screaming and shouting your name to gain confidence and to intimidate the enemy]

Jokes aside, you should do a legit evaluation of your situation. Who are you (How fit/disciplined etc...)? Who are the other guys starting the academy (not names ofc, but find out if they are younger/older/more experienced/better/fitter/more "diverse" etc)? How hard is the academy?

also: ASK YOUR MENTORS why they dont think you can do this!

Good luck!
>>
>>34861864
>Champions dont care what other people say they cant do.
Until those people can directly hinder you in achieving your goal, such as people preventing you from getting a job position because they think you can't do i, or preventing people denying you grants and sponsorships because they think you can't do it.
Success is always limited or enabled by social frame.
>>
>>34861843
BUILD WALL
U
I
L
D

W
A
L
L
>>
>>34861890
Thanks man. I'm gonna stay motivated. My academy is 100% crossfit, here is my stats, maybe someone can tell me how I am:

>1.5 mile time
10:20, I've been working my way up to 5 miles though. I run in 2 mile increments 3 days a week.

>60 pushups, proper form
My orientation letter says to be able to do pushups for 2 minutes straight. I got about 1 minute and 20 seconds in before having to resort to "half" pushups for the last 40 seconds.

>12 pullups
Is what it is, I go until I lock my arms on every pullup

I workout 3-4 days a week though. Circuit crossfit training. I feel better then I did obviously at the beginning, but the comments I got tonight didn't help.

>76 situps in 2 minutes
Is what it is.

>>34861926
The problem is I haven't spoken to these "mentors" in 8 months or so.

>>34861931
You hit it on the head I think.
>>
>>34861826

Thoughts:

They think you can go on to something better

OR

They are seeing if you really want this. If you do, then you won't care what they say because you'll drive yourself to achieve it. If you let them discourage you, then perhaps you don't want this.
>>
>>34861826
Are the tests you are given at this academy objective or subjective tests.
As long as none of these mentors will be judging you in any subjective tests, who gives a fuck what they think about you
>>
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 198x323) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 198x323
>>34861951
It's looking alright to me. The key is to be consistent with your workouts and make sure to throw in dem calisthenics.

I'd say what you're doing is actually pretty good. Crossfit is good to get to those kinds of "functional" scores.

Keep at it. You got this man. Don't fucking give in
>>
>>34861997
None of my "mentors" are involved in this academy in any way. If anything is revealed, it's that the people at the academy hate my mentors. It still hurts though.
>>
>>34861951
>crossfit
aaaaaaand you've sabotaged your own thread.
>>
>>34862004
I know how /fit/ feels about crossfit, but I've been told by numerous instructors that the academy PT is based entirely on crossift workouts.

>>34862002
Thanks man, if theres one thing I'm good at it's blindly doing things for heavens sake.
>>
>>34861951
>Crossfit
Well, that explains a lot.
>>
>>34861826
How many fucking people were told they can't and did?
>>
>>34862019
see>>34862013
>>
>>34861843

Fucking kek
>>
File: image.jpg (154 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
154 KB, 1280x800
>>34861826
in 5 years you will look back on this moment and say either "the downers stopped me" or "nothing could stop me"
>choose your destiny
>>
>>34861826
Dude its totally possible they're saying that to test you. You are trying to become a firefighter my friend... take it from someone who has never followed through with anything and has fucked up a lot of opportunities over something like this.
>>
>>34862055
I agree.

>>34862068
Fuck these guys, these are people I haven't talked to in almost a year. People I didn't leave on bad terms either. They just stopped talking to me and started running their mouths to others.
>>
>>34862118
Well shit dude. There are haters everywhere man. Maybe dude is making it up I don't know...but you really don't have to be a rocket scientist to be a firefighter so keep your god damn chin up and your mind off stupid gossip queens! Don't shoot down my motivation it's unmotivating me
>>
Your "mentors" are jealous. Volleys are little league and your joining the professionals as a paid fire fag. All of your old mentors are probably super pissed that you're about to be a real firefighter while they will still be playing dress up a couple times a week.
>>
I thought this thread was about people with Down Syndrome.

Anyway OP don't give up! I applied for a 1000 to 1 scholarship and got it. There are so many crabs, but only you can make your dreams come true. You have to try it, or you'll always regret it.
>>
>>34863060
Yeah I'm sure those older, more experienced men are 'jealous' of some autistic loser leeeeel.
>>
Ignore them.

Prove them wrong.

Leave humanity behind.
>>
>>34862003
Maybe they hate the academy too and that's why they acted the way they did.
Reminded me of a friend who cheated on his girlfriend.
The girl told his best he's been talking shit, and slept together for revenge.
Your academy might be a hoe.
>>
>>34863143
OP here,
>>34863060
is more then likely right, the fire service is a funny thing. Since I got my report date, I've gotten "shunned" in more ways then one. And not just on the "busting your chops" kind of way either.

Those "older guys" that volunteer a few times a week are all working very basic jobs while making very basic money that barely allows them to scrap by. Seeing a young introverted socially autistic kid become a solid functioning member of society that followed their dream farther then any of them probably hit hard. It's a shame that these dudes I've looked up to for years are seeing it that way, but it's appearing more and more so.

The good news is, I incorporated that feeling into my morning run today. Rather then feeling depressed, I was overcome with a feeling of proving them wrong, something I didn't think I had in me.
>>
File: myvY3OR.png (314 KB, 454x513) Image search: [Google]
myvY3OR.png
314 KB, 454x513
>be doesn't use people's lack of faith as a goal to break
>he's not a narcissist that gets off on being better than others
Come on kazoku.
>>
if you volunteered as a firefighter for 8 years, what makes them think you can't make it? What's so different about the new paid firefighter job?
>>
>>34862013
Fuck, firefighters are using crossfit to set their minimum requirments? No wonder all these women finally meet the physical standard to become firefighters
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.