[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hamstrings
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: shutterstock157672217.jpg (30 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
shutterstock157672217.jpg
30 KB, 600x600
Bros, I need your help.

After over a decade of sitting at my computer for over 10 hours a day, or more, I have hamstrings the size of a T-Rex's arms. I've been working out since the summer of 2014, although my beginnings were shit and I didn't do anything serious or useful until I asked you about it. I've been doing a more serious lifting program for the past 7 months, and an actually useful one for about a month. I intend to get a home gym and do SS/SL, for which I feel ready with my DB progress (average DB weight is around 9 kilos, though I work with 11 for rows and such, per DB, that should be enough to start the empty barbell).

My main problem is my knees. I always get knee pains if I squat too much, run, walk too much, etc. An anon explained to me that it may be due to short hamstrings, and I believe he is right. I can literally hear my cap grinding another bone when I bend and all is quiet. I am incredibly inflexible.

I've started doing stretching exercises last week, but the first day, my feet started feeling numb, tingly, warm and cold alternatively, which worried me. Now, whenever I stretch, I get tingly almost instantly and my strings stay sore for a day. I'm concerned and won't do any stretching until I know what to do.

I heard that foamrolling was better than stretching, but will that make me flexible again?

I need good knees for squats and, perhaps, some day, running.

Thank you for any input.
>>
Go to a physio

Here you'll get answers from people who have half read a pirated copy of starting strength and think they're phds now
>>
>>35456380
>Here you'll get answers from people who have half read a pirated copy of starting strength and think they're phds now

It's OK, I'll filter out. I'm especially interested in anons who experienced the same and solved the problem. This has to be common: nerd sits forever, decides to get fit, has short hamstrings and knee pain. I can't be the only one.

Thanks for the warning though.
>>
>>35456372

What you are experiencing is nerve impingement, resulting from your tight muscles, tendons and ligaments becoming taut while stretching.

The nerves are being compressed, and therefore you are experiencing nerve stimulation.

This is not a problem, in fact it's quite normal.

Continue stretching, until everything loosens up, and then the nerve symptoms will pass.

I would advise performing Romanian Deadlifts, with a bar set at a relatively light weight, where you attempt to increase the ROM during the eccentric part of the lift.

That is, to increase the length of the muscles, tendons and ligaments of the posterior chain, by stretching during the lowering of the bar.

The lower you are able to get the bar, while maintaining good form, the longer your muscles, tendons and ligaments will have to be.

The use of light - easily manageable - weights assists the stretch, while reducing the risk of injury.
>>
>>35456476
>This is not a problem, in fact it's quite normal.

Whenever I read about "possible nerve damage", I freak out. Can you link me to anything that'd reassure me?

Thank you for the feedback. I'll look into all that.
>>
>>35456372
>>35456476

this anon is correct, great answer.
>>
>>35456520
Medfag here, he is right. I am on my phone in a bus now so I can't be bothered to find you a source but if you'd just Google a bit you would surely find assuring information within 1 minute.
>>
>>35456616
>Medfag here, he is right. I am on my phone in a bus now so I can't be bothered to find you a source but if you'd just Google a bit you would surely find assuring information within 1 minute.

Thanks, doc, I will do more research and remember your words and those of anon.
>>
>>35456372
How tall are you? Bc i have the same problem but i always blamed my height for it (6'6).

Squats and DL's are a pita

Also have underdeveloped glutes I'm sure is related to this somehow
>>
>>35457061

178cm, so around 5'11 in Burger units, I think.
>>
Does foamrolling work?
>>
>>35457091
>will never make it
I have the same problem btw, stretching helps a lot if you take your time.
>>
>>35457458
>I have the same problem btw, stretching helps a lot if you take your time.

I do, but what I feel scares me, I don't want to fuck my shit up.
>>
Try touching your toes without bending your knees like your old Phy.Ed teacher taught you.

You remember how to stretch and touch your tippy toes right?
>>
>>35457804

I literally can't. I'm flexibility retarded.

That's the problem.
>>
>>35457821
Hmm, Have you thought about just trying it and then keep trying it every day until you can?
>>
>>35457804
dude that stretch is shit and op has problems that go beyond "jsut keep doing it bro youll be fine bro" pls go
>>
>>35457832

Yes, I'm doing that. I'm just worried because my legs feel fucked up, even my knees feel fucked from it, which I assume confirms my theory that my strings cause my knee pains.
>>
>>35457842
Guess there's nothing left to do but go another decade in front of a screen, but i'll go.

sorry op
>>
>>35457855

You can do other stretches, one I like is being on the floor and doing one leg at a time. The muscle is relaxed because you're not using it and the stretch feels nicer and more focused on stretching than tensing, because whenever you stand, you use your muscles. So I assume.
>>
File: jordan-carver-yoga_02.jpg (92 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
jordan-carver-yoga_02.jpg
92 KB, 900x600
>>35457821
>flexibility retarded
flexibility retarded is not as bad as patience retarded.

I would advise that you warmup and then take the time to do some stretching before you work out (normally these days they recommend stretching after for greater gains). In your case its going to help you to do before because of that previously mentioned Range of Motion issue.

warm up 5-10 min
stretch 10-20 minutes

consider yoga. you can get a lot of flexiblity, core strength from all those isometric holds. If you can find a class free at your gym, lots of lovely scenery in that class. if not, youtube that shit and do it at home.
>>
>>35457983
>flexibility retarded is not as bad as patience retarded.

I have shitloads of patience.

>>35457983
>consider yoga. you can get a lot of flexiblity, core strength from all those isometric holds. If you can find a class free at your gym, lots of lovely scenery in that class. if not, youtube that shit and do it at home.

Feels like what I'm gonna do eventually.
>>
>>35458120
theres easy ways and advanced ways to do almost everything in yoga. just take it easy at first and pace yourself because by the end you will surprise yourself to be sweating like a pig. If you go to a class, don't be intimidated, most people are friendly and welcoming to newcomers.
>>
>>35456380
You tried.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.