[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the standard squat and deadlift a good choice for someone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: squats.jpg (71 KB, 560x411) Image search: [Google]
squats.jpg
71 KB, 560x411
Is the standard squat and deadlift a good choice for someone who's glutes and quads are so inactive that they are near atrophy? Will these hit my bum good enough or do I need something else for my butt?
>>
Start off with glute bridges, SLDL, glue/ham raise, and other hip extension exercises before progressing to the deadlift. If your glutes are that weak, your back will be very susceptible to rounding on a normal deadlift. Lunges instead of squatting will make you less likely to shift your knees forward, and hits the same muscles as a squat. Once you learn to shift your hips back and out weight on your heels, progress to the squat and deadlift.
>>
yes, I did 4 sets of squats two days ago. Still hurt like shit to walk today, the soreness is how you know it works.

Deadlifts are good for core and lower back, so if you only want butt and leg gains do heavy squats.
>>
I just started, but I seem to be feeling the workout in my hamstrings and not in my glutes. Can they be working and I just don't feel it?
>>
>>34549031
Put*
>>
>>34549044
You aren't shifting your hips far back enough. Stay on your heels.
>>
Dont listen to these people. Yes, you should squat and deadlift; both are excellent full body exercises that emphasize your legs. If after several months of regulars squats n diddies youre still not happy, then look at asssssistance like GHRs and whatever. And soreness is not how you tell progress. That stops being a meaningful indicator of almost anything after a few weeks.
>>
>>34549098
Somebody doesn't know how to activate their glutes properly, and you're telling them to do exercises that will hurt them if they don't activate their glutes properly. Instead of doing exercises where it is easier to achieve and practice good glute activation, which will prepare them for more complicated ones. Bravo, faggot.
>>
>>34549031
How often should a noobie do all of these exercises? Once a day or every other day?
>>
>>34549042
>gets bad DOMS from squats
>implies deads aren't useful for glute gains
Never give advice again
>>
>>34549141
Put one or two of the exercises mentioned where you would do any other hip dominant exercise/deadlift variation in your program. How many times, sets and reps are way too individualised for me to make a blanket statement.
>>
>>34549182
Thanks. :^)
>>
>>34549031
>i have no idea what I'm talking about
If you seriously think someone inactive can't Deadlift, but they can some how do a fucking stiff legged Deadlift you're retarded. Deadlifts aren't some complicated movement, everyone can go in day one and do them risk free and be fine.
>>
>>34548982
>who's glutes and quads are so inactive that they are near atrophy
>glutes and quads are so inactive
>glutes and quads

Not possible. You HAVE to be either hip/glute dominant or knee/quad dominant. If you weren't, you wouldn't be able to function as a human being. If the quads can't activate it's because the glutes are overactive. If the glutes can't activate it's because the quads are overactive. The two can't be inactive at the same time since the body has to find stiffness somewhere (either anteriorly or posteriorly). Unless you're in a wheelchair, in which case I'm sorry.
>>
>>34549287
not OP but u can have me, anon-kun
>>
>>34549444
You can modify the ROM of an SLDL far more easily than a normal deadlift.
Not everyone can deadlift right off the bat. Many don't have the hamstring mobility to even get into the starting position. It is literally impossible. Take a lomg-time office worker or basement dweller that spends their day sitting or laying down, and try to teach them to deadlift right off the bat. A lot of the time, that just won't happen. They will either round their back or turn the deadlift into a squat due to poor mobility or glute awareness. For these people, an SLDL from a raised position poses far less risk of injury, and a greater emphasis on the hip hinge pattern. I should have mentioned that glute bridge and GHR are better starting points than SLDL, but the point still stands.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.