[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you guys do anything special for training your calves? Advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: calves.jpg (22 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
calves.jpg
22 KB, 480x360
Do you guys do anything special for training your calves?

Advice on getting nicer ones?
>>
start wearing high heels
>>
>>34495818
i'm sure you look great
>>
>>34495818
Ok now maybe an answer from somebody who isn't a complete retard?
>>
>>34495805
i like to do heavy calf raises in the 12-20 rep range
then after that, i do bodyweight calf raises one leg at a time.

lee hayward is the go-to guy for calves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFs85G7UJmw

if you want he has another video where he walks through a calf workout if you want more specificity
>>
Does anyone think that calves like that look kind of strange, I have just never found them that aesthetically pleasing.
>>
>>34496063
I've heard guys have tried larger rep ranges for calves hypertrophy but the rest of their body has shorter ones, do you do that?

>>34496126
I don't want the huge bloated bodybuilder ones but way back I used to have the longer, diamond shaped ones like in that picture.

It's more you have to have them if you have a bigger upper body and/or you wear shorts a lot because otherwise it looks strange to the rest of your body.
>>
File: ykn.jpg (21 KB, 480x455) Image search: [Google]
ykn.jpg
21 KB, 480x455
>>34495805
try with toes-in and -out, ya dingus
>>
>>34496126
it completes and complements the rest of our physique. no girl is going to blush and say "omg anon your calves are so big and sexy :3 !!" but if the rest of your body is in awesome shape and you have some baby calves it's going to look weird

a lot of calf muscle development is genetic though, I never train mine specifically but they're pretty meaty
>>
>>34496168
I guess I worded that poorly, I think you shouldn't have chicken legs, but people who have skinny little legs and then those bulbous calves sticking out always looked strange to me.
>>
>>34496063
>heavy weight
>12-20 reps
>>
Straight legged calf raises 3-4x6-8, do a 2 second pause at the bottom of each rep, slow 2-3 second eccentric, explosive concentric with a 1 second squeeze at the top. Rest 3 mins or as long as needed.

Then do seated calf raises (knee bent) for 2-3x10-12, do a 2 second concentric, 2 second eccentric, 1 second squeeze at the top, slightly shorter pause of 1 second at the bottom. Do 2 mins rest. Drop the weight on each set if you have to to maintain volume. Your focus should be on the raises heavy for 6-8, not these, you should also feel the burn like crazy on these.

Go heavy, do that 2x a week, eat, calves should grow. Do a 2 week runup from 80% of max, then at the end of 2 weeks do a 4-6 week cycle trying to add weight whenever you can (again, focus on the calf raises in the 6-8 range for progression). Repeat this cycle.

I know it's nothing fancy, but you dont need any broscience bodybuilder bullshit with 20 rep calf raises and 'BLITZ AND BOMB THE CALVEZ ONCE A WEEK BRO' where you to into the gym and do a million different calf raises. Trust me on this. And all the little info I said is important, the tempo is VERY important, the cycling is important to (if you go longer than 6 weeks your lifts will start going down unless you deload and you'll burn out, calves will stop growing or may even shrink)

Run this cycle once or twice and if your calves haven't grown at least a little and everything is in check, youre probably just fucked for calves genetically. Consider implants.
>>
three things helped me:

-heavy, explosive weighted sets to simulate jumping
-quick bodyweight sets
-lots o jump rope

and that's it. they're muscles, they'll grow
>>
Will paypal $50 to anyone who can provide credible before and after photos that show impressive muscle size gains in calves.

The pictures don't exist. I'll provide you with many Mr. Olympia Competitors and winners (e.g Dexter Jackson) who have noticeably small calves despite elite genetics and large amounts of gear.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.