[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can very high rep bodyweight squats grow the lower body?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: images[1].jpg (2 KB, 159x90) Image search: [Google]
images[1].jpg
2 KB, 159x90
First of all, if you are going to reply something like "no, you need to do barbell squats and deadlifts because Mark Rippetoe said it" or something like that, don't bother replying. When I started training I was brainwashed into this narrow mindset by the SS cult and so on. I've since been getting more open minded about training, after trying out stuff like HIT mike mentzer style, training with very low frequency and volume and by far suprassing the gains I had on a 3 days fullbody routines that everyone praises on the internet. So if you are going to reply to me with this narrow mindset that there is only one way to get from point A to B, please fuck off. I'm looking for your personal experiences here, not something you have read on the internet by a guru.

I'm considering quitting the gym because my joints are just getting destroyed, even when using perfect form. Always when I try to replace and exercise with something else, it brings a new problem with it. I.e. I've had to completely stop barbell squats because it tears up me knees and lower back, I've tried replacing it with leg press, which brings me sciatic pain which I never even had on squats. This is just an example, it always goes like this. X exercise causes me this issue, I try to replace it with Y which brings me another issue. I've been in the gym for 2-3 years now, my joints have already had tons of problems. I can't see myself continuing training the way I do now for a very long time. I'm not reckless at all in the gym, my joints are just genetically very weak and can't handle a lot of beating.
>>
So I'm considering just giving up on the gym completely and turn to very high rep bodyweight exercises at home, which is way safer for the joints. For the lower body I was thinking doing something like bodyweight squats (Inb4 pistols, I can't do that my knees are already shot. I want to avoid any high stress movement on the joints like that), glute ham raises, one legged glute bridges.

I want to know what your experiences are with high rep leg work with bodyweight exercises are, how your gains were. Particularly high rep bodyweight squats. Do you believe it is possible to achieve your genetic potential just with this?
>>
No, you need to do barbell squats and dumbbell lifts.

Have you heard of mark rippetoe?
>>
Bump. Any bodyweight brahs here?
>>
Yes, you can just do a lot of squats and get muscle growth. It's also pretty good for getting the heart rate up and steady.
>>
>>35425522
possibly look into getting some kettle bells brah
>>
>>35426141

Well I sort of want do do very high reps for the sakes of the joints
>>
>>35426214
>do very high reps for the sakes of the joints

I don't even
>>
>>35425522
>my joints are just getting destroyed, even when using perfect form

I doubt your form is anything close to perfect. Post a video of your squat.
Your programming/recovery probably sucks, too.
We need more info about what you are actually doing in the gym. Blaming weighted movements for your joint problems will get you nowhere.
You probably just have no clue about how to train.
With your mentality of halfassing everything and blaming the exercise afterwards you will have the same problems with bodyweight training.
>>
I feel you man i'm the same way. Check out convict conditioning
>>
People who bike grow their quads so you can probably grow them with nodyweight stuff too.

If you have to ask these questions though you really are in no shape to quit yet.
>>
>>35426419

There we go, some know-it-all needs to feed his ego. I have followed popular routines on this forum 100%, whithout gaining anything whatsoever even when eating alot and getting fat.

You can go and do your deadlifts, go. I don't care, and I don't want to hear your opinion. I have bench pressed more than most of this forum can deadlift. I have lifted heavy weights (relative to my body) and I'm done with it, I'm going for a new approach. So you can go and do your deadlifts and just fuck off, because I don't want to hear your narrow minded opinion. I don't want to live a life in a broken body like many of these tards on bodybuilding forums have sentenced themselves to with their recklessness.
>>
>>35426632
7/10 if troll, fedora/10 if serious
>>
>>35426667

Such a brainwashed cult follower, pathetic little man. You must be really weak too, always those losers who feel the need to feed their ego with their know-it-all attitude because they are complete failures in rea life. I have probably ben pressed more than you can deadlift sad little man, get out of this thread.
>>
>>35426738
>my joints suck
Bad form. It always is.

To correct your problems, do a 1x5 if Drinking bleach
>>
>>35426632
>calling others narrow minded

You are too narrow minded to see that you are fucking shit up.
Training is about avoiding the destruction of your own body at least as much as getting stronger.
And you obviously suck at that. Switching to bodyweight training won't change a thing.
>>
>>35426811
Irrelevant opinion, why did you bother posting? Did you not read I explicitly asked for peoples experiences not their worthless opinions?

>>35426870
Nice worthless opinion man. Go do some low bar squats and worship rippetoe.
>>
>>35425522
You copied this from /r/bodyweightfitness

https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/comments/3yta2m/can_very_high_rep_bodyweight_squats_grow_the/
>>
>>35427810
Not OP but can one not ask the same question on Reddit and 4chan?
>>
File: wksjg.jpg (55 KB, 510x500) Image search: [Google]
wksjg.jpg
55 KB, 510x500
>>35425522
>"no, you need to do barbell squats and deadlifts because Mark Rippetoe said it" or something like that, don't bother replying. When I started training I was brainwashed into this narrow mindset by the SS cult and so on.
>>
>>35428095

Yes, you can, ignore, ignore, and focus, focus.
>>
Let me give you some simple logic here.

Marathon runners do about 52,000 1/8th squats by running a marathon. Their lower bodies are typically lean, but not very muscular. Your muscles respond to being used to exert a lot of force. Exerting a small amount of force many times will not have the same effect.
>>
>>35425522
I think you might want to give up on life. You're never going to make it.
>>
>>35428269

This. Running is basically doing 1x50'000.
>>
>>35425522
You started of doing too much weight and your joints/ligament s couldn't keep up with the muscle gain. Do 5x5 of the bar and do high bar squats with oly shoes. Congrats I just fixed your problem
>>
>>35425522
Take a private kettlebell lesson or have someone show you the forms and man your legs will explode. You can get a brutal low impact workout in with just a 27lb kettlebell in your living room any day of the week.
>>
Go to >>>/asp/
The bodyweight General
>>
>Refusing to accept anything you don't want to hear as fact.
>Calls others narrow minded
Kill yourself desu
>>
>>35428326
This.
Also your form is probably shit
>>
File: 1450756612343.jpg (111 KB, 571x551) Image search: [Google]
1450756612343.jpg
111 KB, 571x551
>>35426901
im another anon but if you want experiences then my experience would be that you either improve your form and squat through the pain and stop being a bitch or you deload heavily and increase weight very slowly .. also improve your diet and start doing dat dere multivitamins and fish oil for joint health and drink plenty of water

but i really doubt that you'd have any serious joint problems unless you're obese and or squatting with terrible form or increased your squat from something like 40kg to 140kg in less than half a year

if you're doing babbyweight with proper form it's really unlikely you'd fuck your shit up
>>
File: 1450750433059.png (14 KB, 250x265) Image search: [Google]
1450750433059.png
14 KB, 250x265
>>35428837
also i started squatting from barbell only as my knees were fucked up and in pain all the time for some reason

there was nothing seriously wrong with my knees as I went to a doc to check them out but the pain was horrible while doing a squatting movement and they'd start aching if I'd hold my legs in the same position for a while

before squatting i applied a literal shit ton of ice gel to both of my knees and did ibuprofen and paracetamol so I could even finish my squats without crying from the pain

after a few times of squatting the pain started to ease off and eventually my knees had no problems at all

if your aching/pain/whatever doesn't seem serious you should just keep working on it and your joints will get strong enough to stop hurting
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.