[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Physician AMA
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5
File: caduceus.jpg (113 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
caduceus.jpg
113 KB, 640x480
Hi, /fit/. I've lurked here a while and found some really useful info. I thought I'd try to give back by doing an AMA. I'm a doctor, emergency medicine specialty, but I see a lot of sports/lifting injuries. So fire away.
>>
>>32218485
>>
>>32218507
Sure, that was true until maybe the second half of the 20th century
>>
>>32218531
No, it's still the same.
>>
is medical school in the US worth it right now
>>
>>32218549
So what do you do if you have an injury or ailment? Eat some essential oils?
>>
>AMA
>4chin
>>
>>32218567
OP here. Depends on what you mean by worth it. Financially? Yeah, probably so. Don't let anyone shit you, doctors make good money. Many bitch and moan, but once you complete a residency you will make six figures easily. If you mean by helping people, well that depends on what you do with your education.
>>
>>32218573
There is no such thing as an essential oil. It's another fraud foisted upon us by the medicial establishment. The conclusions of Burr's studies from the 20s on "essential" fatty acids were disproven just about 5 years later.
>>
>>32218597
The medical "establishment" does not promote essential oils. Stupid, fat housewives and anti-vaxxers promote that shit.
>>
>>32218617
I thought you meant "essential" fatty acids. I don't know shit about "essential oils".

Funny you bring up vaccines, perfect example latrogenesis that isn't taken seriously, nobody takes responsibility for anything.
>>
>>32218594
I work as a software developer and started $45k with a pretty unstressful job, I'll probably be making $80k+ by the time im 30, if I go to med school it's very stressful I assume, I'll make nothing for 6 years then $40k for 2 and also get like what $200k in debt. My dad's a doctor and says in the US doctors are having a lot of responsibility taken away from them and aren't being treated as well so it wouldn't be a good thing. I've wanted to be a doctor all my life, though, I think I would still enjoy it. I'll probably have regrets either way
>>
>>32218662
That's funny, because I've seen and written many medical records with iatrogenic diagnoses.
>>
File: shiggy arcade.png (9 KB, 576x544) Image search: [Google]
shiggy arcade.png
9 KB, 576x544
>>32218507
>1669
>"don't trust doctors"
>in 1669
>believing this is still relevant in 2015
>346 years of medical science
>mfw
>>
>>32218663
That's true, a lot of decisions are now made by insurance companies in the US. That's one reason I chose emergency medicine. I have almost complete freedom to what's necessary in my medical opinion. As for the $, those numbers you quoted are pretty accurate. One way to avoid the student loan debt is to commit to practice for at least 5 years in a rural area. There are counties in the US that only have 1 or 2 primary care physicians. If you agree to work there, there are grants that will pay for all your education.
>>
>>32218718
The same irresponsinble culture is still there. Also applied medicial science is not as scientific as you think, it's more akin to social science than say physics or chemistry.
>>
>>32218485
Hay man, I appreciate you taking the time to do this. Can you help me figure out what's going on with my shoulders? I do a ton of power cleans and they really start to hurt once I get to about 160-1870 pounds (right around my bodyweight). My shouldrs start to ache and radiat down my arms a bit. It is not a shooting pain, but it hurts and impedes my lifting. Routine is as follows-
A: Power clean and jerk +front Squat- 3x135, 5x155, 5x165, Fx175
B: pushup- 5x15, pull-up- 5xF, plank- 7mins
C: 50 front squats @ 135, 50 OHP @ 100
D: rest, then repeat.
I don't have a rack, so everytime I pick up the weights I power clean them. Am I just doing too many? Thanks again bro!
>>
>>32218798
How long does it ache after your work out? An hour or so might be normal, but if it hurts all the time, you might have some damage to your supraspinatus tendon or AC joint. If heat or ice doesn't get rid of it, you might want to have an ortho or sports medicine doc check you out. They'll probably want to get a shoulder MRI.
>>
How stressful is med school?
Do you have any free time for hobbies? Just weekends?
Do you have time to lift in med school?
>>
>>32218718
Doctors are pretty shit unless you have cancer or something. GPs told me there's no point testing my estrogen levels because "men have none". When you roid cycle you basically have to teach them.

They only know shit if you have cancer or whatever.
>>
>>32218485
Are foam rollers med school approved? Do they improve flexibility or muscular recovery?
>>
>>32218849
It starts to ache during. The bar lands, fells fine. Jerk motion is where I hit a bit of pain (cause of shit form, no doubt), and then when I put them down and rest I have that ache start. So I should see a doc about it?
>>
>>32218864
OP again. Very stressful. Constant pressure to not only perform academically, but do volunteer stuff, so not a lot of time for hobbies or family at all, especially if you take time to lift. One thing that can make it better is not to be too competitive academically. Sure, you want to do well, but do you have to be first in your class? I was 7th in my class and still got a good internship and residency. Our first and second place people both had nervous breakdowns.
>>
>>32218886
Op again. It never hurts to have it checked out, but really, unless you're hurting all the time, you'd probably be wasting your $.
>>
>>32218885
They are a few schools of thought on that. Most DOs will recommend them for certain problems. I'm a MD but I've seen patients who have used them with success for muscular recovery of the back and posterior neck muscles.
>>
File: violet_and_lucy_by_hoshq-d5n0fqd.jpg (866 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
violet_and_lucy_by_hoshq-d5n0fqd.jpg
866 KB, 2000x2000
>>32218918
Good enough for me! Thanks a ton man, I'll start resting more and maybe see somebody if it acts up more. Thank you, I know you're busy. Have some pussy and weed for your effort and time!
>>
>>32218966
Thanks, man! Hope you feel better.
>>
>>32218485
I have an irritation in my posterior shoulder when stress is put on it for anymore than 6-8 seconds. Any isometric contraction bugs it. Eccentric moment bugs it. Concentric feels fine. Xrays show nothing and MRI shows nothing. Not even inflammation. What could this be? It hurts when I drive and type but that's it outside of working out. I've done impingment tests and it's not that either.
>>
>>32218485
did you know the Caduceus has nothing to do with health or medicine and is just misused, really it is the rod of asclepius that has to do with health (single snake around the rod)
>>
File: IMG_20150428_101135.jpg (11 KB, 260x190) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150428_101135.jpg
11 KB, 260x190
>>32218485
Hey med bra I have a question. I am currently in shitty a 4 year uni I want to go to med school but the problem is there is litterally nothing around my uni the closest hospital is 30 min drive but I dont own a car or live around the place and the chem department is basically shitty. But the thing is in the community college in my town the hospital and college are 10min walk from each other should I go to Community college so I can do the community service and hospital commmunity service and shadow doctors than transfer after 2 years then apply to med school?
Td lr stay 4 years get good grades or 2 community for shadowing and community service than transfer to a ivy league uni than apply to med school?
Ps I am first generation black
>>
>>32218485
>ama
Why did you start an AMA without a (temporary) tripcode?
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.