[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Jacked for life
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3
File: fit-old-man.jpg (27 KB, 440x668) Image search: [Google]
fit-old-man.jpg
27 KB, 440x668
Is power lifting and hard training in general compatible with long term health? so many of my child hood sports heroes (power lifters and fighters mostly) seem fucked up and a shell of what they used to be, what can i do besides proper nutrition,rest and yoga to make sure im still looking and feeling great at 60?
>>
>>31975581
read blue zones
>>
Inject hormones
>>
>>31975581
Some amount strength training will improve your quality of life when you're older, and you are likely to live longer. However, being elite in any sport (powerlifting included) will have its health consequences.

Except you are probably weak as fuck and that's not a concern at all for you. Go get strong before you worry about the negative consequences of being "too strong."
>>
File: 1374775235162.jpg (14 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
1374775235162.jpg
14 KB, 300x225
>>31976828
this is you right?
>>
File: sedentary.jpg (399 KB, 719x1417) Image search: [Google]
sedentary.jpg
399 KB, 719x1417
>>
usually from their steriod abuse and being a fatass kills them at age 50
>>
your heroes were probably at the top of whatever they did. and you can't get there without drugs and pushing your body beyond it's limits. that plus probably bad dieting will wreck you.
>>
>>31975581
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ulCWZoMEuE

Powerlifting isn't particularly good for the long term health of most age groups. Needless to say, it doesn't generate much of a cardiovascular response. It doesn't really develop good mobility, in fact it usually inhibits it. Powerlifters are often compromising the integrity of certain joints in order to push more weight, for example the ultra wide squatting stance some take unavoidably results in increased knee valgus which can play havoc as you get older.

Olympic Weightlifters are probably better examples of strength athletes who have the capacity to age well, although even they suffer for their sport in the form of decreased vertebral space.

All the same, if someone can do Judo into their 60s, then I'd say looking pretty good at that age would be easy. Take supplements you genuinely need (calcium, omega 3, joint care, iron etc.), address muscular imbalances and deficiencies in mobility and stability (don't do Yoga, 90% of Yoga classes are pathetically bad), don't unecessarily sacrifice your body's integrity in order to shift big numbers, and make sure you have good recovery protocols.
>>
good bye
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.