[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So im joining a rock climbing club, will this affect my workout,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 5
So im joining a rock climbing club, will this affect my workout, for better or worse. Anyone else do rock climbing.
>>
>>31544255
it's fucking awesome for your core

you will also get forearms of steel

and most importantly, it's fun. really fun
>>
>>31544255
you can be a good climber, but you'll have to start skipping leg day. seriously,

and it's always cutting season

stretchiness is important

core training is important

don't forget to use your legs

your tendons will also be constantly damaged
>>
>>31545011
why skipping leg day?
>>
hmm
how exhausting is climbing compared to running?

is it possible to run & climb on the same day as i lift?
>>
>>31545023
need less body weight to pull yourself up with arms
>hence no leg days
>>
>>31545023
Climbers aren't supposed to have massive muscles. You want to stay light and airy, like a fairy.

>>31545027
It's fucking exhausting. It's more similar to lifting where you climb for a bit and then sit around and watch other people climb.

You will be fucking demolished after your first climbing session, if you put any effort into it whatsoever.

Also follow the routes. It drives me crazy to see people hogging walls and not following the routes. Since you're going to a climbing club, it probably won't be that big of an issue.
>>
>>31545027
>is it possible to run & climb on the same day as i lift?
It's possible, but I wouldn't suggest lifting on the same day.
>>
>>31545027
If you're actually putting effort into rock climbing, you sure as hell won't be able to lift the same day. All pull exercises will be impossible and you won't be able to put up as much weight pushing
>>
>>31545046
>Climbing with arms is efficient
Misinformation
>>
>>31544916
Shit loads of fun, and the women are hot.
>>
>>31544255
It will affect your workout. At least if you try hard enough when you're climbing.
Cut down on some of the upper body stuff in your workout and keep in some exercises that are NOT similar to the kind of movements you'd be doing when you're rock climbing.

You mainly want to do this because you wouldn't want to fuck with your recovery and your performance when climbing.

Any kind of pulling exercises might have to go, unless you keep them low in volume. A good way to do this would to include maybe 3x5 or 3x3 of heavy weighted pull ups/chin ups, dips or rows. Bench can stay too of course since it doesn't reflect the motion of climbing a wall
>>
>>31545027
I lift and climb on the same days. It can be absolute terror. Just so tiring doing both. Also, watch your tendons.
>tfw getting golfers elbow from climbing and now is impeding lifting.
But seriously take it easy. Your muscles out grow your tendons, and this leads to no climbing and lifting for a while.
Also, use your legs when you climb, or else you look like a struggling crab.
>>
File: 1426864741996.gif (52 KB, 344x200) Image search: [Google]
1426864741996.gif
52 KB, 344x200
Your grip strength will go through the roof. So your deadlift should improve
>>
>>31545889
Most women aren't hot...
>>
What do you mean about damage to tendons?
>>
>>31546349
ive started bouldering for a few weeks now and holy fuck my tendons as sore. if you climb youll be putting a lot of stress on your tendons than your muscle>>31546349
>>
Too many lifting noobs ITT.

The answer to your question OP is based on your experience as a lifter.

As you become a veteran lifter you recover extremely fast. Ive worked out multiple times in a single day very often.

One of these combo days includes bouldering. You get a little forearm pump but thats about it. You can hit the gym literally right after climbing, or have a meal and a tiny break and go lift.

People who say you cant do one and the other dont have the experience to give advice imo and you should take all things you read here with a bit of skepticism.

Try it out, go climb and lift afterwards if you can, and im sure youll be fine.

If you arent able to lift well after climbing then thats even more of a reason to be at the gym after climbing. You have to adjust to shit like this sooner or later.
>>
im a pretty big guy for you, quit climbing because i got tendonitis all the time from doing both and i wanted to focus on lifting
obviously it will help your grip and back, depending on your weight / age / what you do as far as lifting it might be hard on your joints
>>
I've been climbing for about 7 years now and everyone saying you have to skip leg day is full of shit. If anything you SHOULD be supplementing your climbing sessions with squats and bench press among other exercises. Too many climbers get ridiculously imbalanced because they only climb. My elbow tendonitis is pratically gone thanks to bench pressing and squats make my legs feel strong. It's very noticeable if i take a week or two off from those exercises.

TLDR: Experienced climber, ask me anything
>>
>>31546754
what are your lifts
>>
File: Largoandcigarette.jpg (92 KB, 446x600) Image search: [Google]
Largoandcigarette.jpg
92 KB, 446x600
Not sure where the skipping leg day and training mentality comes from. John Long and John Bachar and numerous other professional climbers back in the day trained and lifted hard. But hammer good technique if you're just starting, so you don't have to relearn it and overwrite your bad habits later on.
Climb with your feet, weight them and don't put all the weight on your arms and try and do pull ups every move, you're going to get burnt out fast and not progress. I'm obsessed with it, at the 2 year mark climbing and I love training for it and experimenting on how to make myself better. Big part is mental training as your body and mind did not evolve to remain calm while you highball boulder or sport climb hard stuff above the bolts. Starts out physical and eventually becomes extremely mental. Try it out dude, I love it
>>
>>31545059
>It drives me crazy to see people hogging walls and not following the routes

I don't mind this, but it makes me rage when people get stuck while not following a route, I just don't get how it's possible.
>>
you'll never climb a mountain irl because mountains don't have handles
>>
>>31546989
I feel like it's proper etiquette to tell these people that routes are specific holds. Otherwise they never learn.

>>31547004
retard alert
>>
>>31546963
notice his tiny legs
>>
>>31546963
>at the 2 year mark climbing

What's the highest grade you've hit?
>>
>>31547004
>free climbing and mountaineering are the same thing

u wot m8?
>>
>>31547017
tiny legs doesn't mean he doesn't train them
>>
File: JLSandstone2.jpg (198 KB, 615x800) Image search: [Google]
JLSandstone2.jpg
198 KB, 615x800
>>31547017
You think he has tiny legs? Seriously?
>>
>>31547042
Compared to his upper body, yeah
>>
>>31547020
Gym wise around a v6, been focusing more on outside and getting leading down better. But I've been working on an 11d offwidth I almost have, that's my passion in climbing atm, I love crack climbing
>>
>>31547049
He's ripped all over, of course he's going to have more muscle based on what he uses most. It shouldn't even be an argument. But you're right, he probably should of given up climbing and just worked on getting a tad bit more leg muscle for no beneficial reason
>>
>>31547080
I don't get why you're being so defensive, a person who squats/pulls a lot is not going to have strength or size in those proportions, he'll have far bigger legs.
>>
>>31545011
>don't forget to use your legs
this is the only part of this that is right
Everything else is wrong
>source: in rock gym 2-3 hours a day every weekday
>>31545027
>is it possible to run & climb on the same day as i lift?
Yes, if you go all out for several hours climbing you might be too tired to go for extended runs and heavy lifting.
>>31545889
>and the women are hot.
can confirm climbing gives women a nice ass
>>31546032
>>tfw getting golfers elbow from climbing and now is impeding lifting.
I've had problems with this
Best cure is to give yourself a few days rest when it start to flare up. I also hear that doing push ups/ bench press helps mitigate it but I'm not really sure about that yet.
>>31546754
this guy knows what's up
>>
>>31547049
>>31547080

TBH he looks perfectly proportional, /fit/ thinks an "aesthetic" physique is an x-frame with ballooned up quads because "lol I'm not one of those retarded curl bros! Leg day everyday right guys!". Trying to be special snow flake contrarians.
>>
>>31547115
Bench press definitely helps m8. Im the guy that's been climbing for 7 years and it's the only thing that prevents tendonitis. I haven't had it in years since i've started benching regularly.
>>
>>31547115
>core strength isn't important
>flexibility isn't important
>>
>>31547115
>in rock gym 2-3 hours a day every weekday

Wouldn't be surprised if you're one of those assholes that just sits around in the bouldering area in group of other assholes that block routes to sit around and talk about how cool you are for bouldering, and how you could totally send anything there if your finger tendon wasn't "totally hammered" for 95% of the time you're there.

There's no way you're doing anything useful climbing 10-15 hours a week.
>>
File: 1422230588407.jpg (43 KB, 597x960) Image search: [Google]
1422230588407.jpg
43 KB, 597x960
>>31547115
also fuck the people ITT saying to skip leg day
I can't tell you how many times a day I see people struggling when they have to get a high up foot hold and basically have to do a deep one legged squat. Also one of the best climbers I know, his other passion is fucking Rugby.
>>
>>31547152
depends on how hard he's climbing really. my sessions are usually 2-3 hours long as well and i can guarantee you there's no sitting around being your stereotypical boulderer.
>>
>>31547189
>my sessions are usually 2-3 hours long as well

Mine are too, but 5 days back to back of legit climbing isn't possible. I use to do 3, and that 3rd day was pretty much pointless, nothing had anything left to really do anything with.
>>
>>31547126
That's good to hear, I just hadn't personally noticed it yet.
>>31547149
I'm not saying they are unimportant, I'm just saying it's not specifically important enough to mention. In hindsight yes core strength is important for using your legs fully on underhangs.
>>31547152
Nah I'm mostly doing routes even if it's just shitty routes on the auto-belays because I don't know anyone to do top rope with. I'm not constantly slamming out 5.10s but I put lots of effort in. I've only been climbing regularly for 4 months now and I'm working on 5.10s, what does that tell you about the time I put into climbing?
>>
>>31547207
Go in and do aerobic restoration and capillarity training in between off days. Stay on the wall for 30 mins for 2 sets. It improves local forearm capillarity for improved aerobic energy metabolism with improved grip contral and aids recovery from hair climbing. You work on technique at the same time, say drop knees or perfect foot placements. I'm getting all this from the Rock Climber's Training Manual, pretty cool shit in here, but you can climb every day if you even it out and don't go as hard as you can everyday
>>
>>31547232
>what does that tell you about the time I put into climbing?

That you waste a lot of time. 5.10s are baby grades.

>>31547236
None of that is necessary unless you're regularly sending 12s. Until you're in the twelves, technique will get you farther than wasting huge amounts of time "building capilaries". Time would be better spent on the wall.
>>
>>31547207
3 days is pretty good to simulate the kinda stress three days of outside climbing does to ya. At least I try to take a lot of three day trips. The first two days are good, last day is all about volume usually
>tfw possible bishop trip this weekend
>>
>>31547232
Nigga I got to 5.10 in 3 months going to my gym 3x a week, each session lasting an hour.
>>
>>31547232
>says he's putting in a lot of effort and doing way more training than the average person
>gives lackluster progress as proof of hard work
>doesn't seem to actually be knowledgable but acts like he does

Holy shit, you're the Supermang of climbing.
>>
>>31547346
>supermang of climbing
kek, i know way too many guys like that at my gym
>>
>>31547270
That routine is for a novice during a base fitness phase, you didn't catch the part where I said you drill techniques such as foot placement and drop knees as you stay on the wall. It helps you climb better, not seeing the downside there bud
>>
>>31546754
If you are able to lift after climbing then you aren't doing an appropriately challenging climb route.
>>
>>31547502
>you didn't catch the part where I said you drill techniques such as foot placement and drop knees as you stay on the wall. It helps you climb better, not seeing the downside there bud

No, I did, and again, the only thing that actually teaches technique is climbing problems you don't understand, and figuring it out. You can tell someone 100 different ways to do a drop knee, but until they actually solve a problem using it, they're never going to consciously use it when they need it.

Climbing is extremely intuitive if you don't think about it. "Teaching", and "practicing" technique via drills is completely idiotic. This isn't lifting, where every deadlift should look the same. There's an infinite number of ways to move, and climb.
>>
>>31547533
You don't know what you're talking about. There are moves in climbing that are counter-intuitive, complex, but proven to be the least-impact and therefore the best way to get over certain types of problems.
>>
>>31547546
K. Enjoy your 5.10s.
>>
>>31547533
Tell that to tommy Caldwell and the other people who are associated with mike Anderson and his brother who wrote that book, its about climbing hard, be it bouldering or routes and then on off days working on the wall to aid recovery and increase endurance and skill practice. The guy has a PhD who wrote the thing and climbs 5.14 in his 40's with a hectic work schedule and a family. You seem really angsty about just climbing until you somehow read 5.12, which is a retarded way to get better. You don't get better following a random system, which will only work up until a point, you have to write shit down and train. Notice how American free climbing took off when people like tony yaniro and john bachar actually trained and pushed the boundaries?
>>
>>31547518
but that's not correct.
>>
>>31547583
My point is strength, barring being a complete inactive couch potato, isn't a limiting factor until you hit the 12s. The grades also get exponentially harder the higher you go. While technically the difference between a 5.7-5.8 and 5.13a-5.13b should be the same, going from 13a-13b is WAAAY harder than going from 7-8.

This is like doing monthly periodization when you're doing novice level weights.
>>
>>31547636
It has nothing to do with strength, I didn't say he needed to hangboard and do campus board training every other day, I said he can traverse and gain endurance and technique. Working drop knees over and over teaches you the muscle movement and makes it instincutual and second nature when youre on a climb. Not climbing the random yellow route cause it has one "weird move where I might need a dropknee." That's not going to help technique or teach a complex movement pattern
>>
What do we use as an archive? This bread seems interesting, I think I'll join a climbing gym. I'm a recovering fatarse so it'll take a bit of time to get to the level you guys are at, but I'm sure as hell gonna try.
>>
>>31546062

As a very casual climber I can confirm. I look with contempt at those guys who use straps to lift weights I can effortlessly hang on to with just my fingertips.
>>
>>31547115
>can confirm climbing gives women a nice ass

It's mostly just the tight pants and the angle you ogle them from while they're on the wall.
>>
>>31544916

/thread
>>
If you're just doing it recreationally on the side for funsies then there's no reason why you should change your workout. unless you're working out so hard that you can't move then you should probably change something
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.