[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any of you motherfuckers train their mind in the art of memory?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: watson.jpg (24 KB, 528x297) Image search: [Google]
watson.jpg
24 KB, 528x297
Any of you motherfuckers train their mind in the art of memory?
If so, where did you start? Requesting literature.
>>
>>35371489
Go on /lit/
>>
>>35371489
>what is Google?

Art of Memory is basically just setting up "memory palace" and linking certain "images" to an idea/concept. For example:

>imagine a familiar location like you house or a street you frequently travel
>it needs to be somewhere you can easily imagine and "walk" through mentally - this is your Memory Palace
>I've used my old high school, my first house, ect...
>next, at certain places in your memory palace mentally place the ideas/concepts you want to remember
>you can't just use a word for the idea/concept however
>you need to attach the concept to a mental picture or scene that acts as a mneumetic device - make it funny and or obscene
>let's say I want to memorize the planets names
>for Mercury I'll place my mental image at the door to my childhood home.
>the mental image I use for Mercury will need to be something the help me remember. You will have to use some creativity here but for me things that sound similar help me remember stuff
>so for Mercury I'll use a sexy Mermaid (mer) who's curing meat - or something similar.
>do the same for the remaining planets.

The trick is to first create these vivid mental images that act to remind you of what ever concept or part of a concept you're trying to remember. What the image actually is is up to you but ancient sources tell us (and experience confirms) that lewd/sexy and funny images work best. Anything that'll help you remember the concept/idea will work.

Also:
>acronyms are your friend
>stupid songs and rhymes help
>rote memorization isn't that bad and helps a lot
>>
>>>/lit/

>>>/adv/
>>
>>35371798
need to add this for clarity:

>after you place the first image in your memory palace move on to another area of the palace (like a room or doorway nearby the last location)
>continue doing this with new images and locations until you are done

I'll take questions
>>
>>35371800
What is mental fitness?

OP I just read Moonwalking with Einstein and it's got a lot of good info in it, though I'll caution it's by no means a manual.

It's a quick and entertaining read, and maybe its greatest strength is that it shows how pretty much anyone can become very skilled in it.

Good luck, I'm planning out my mental fitness strategy for the coming year too
>>
>>35371798
>but ancient sources tell us
Well basically this is what I'm asking about. I got the concept, but I want to read more on it. I don't quite believe that it is as easy as it sounds and there are no hidden stones along the way.
>>35371855
Thanks, will try.
>>
>>35371897
That's really all there is to it. I was pretty disappoint at first as well, but it is helpful for some types of info. A lot of authors hype the method, but it isn't an "end all, be all" kind of thing.

Ancient sources are all pretty much what I've outlined. Later authors tried to add some techniques that aren't useful at all really. One addition I've found helpful is that, with certain types of info, I can add layers of additional info to the original image I've created. Remembering info and symbols associated with Tarot cards is a great example of where I've applied this information layering technique.
>>
I read a good book on memory a while back but I forgot the title
>>
File: ketogenic-diet-vancouver-2.jpg (61 KB, 851x315) Image search: [Google]
ketogenic-diet-vancouver-2.jpg
61 KB, 851x315
perhaps you should give the keto diet a try.
It has helped many people who suffered from depression, memory loss and overall brain issues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PzI1wt4cWU
>>
>>35372025
>read a good book on memory
>forgot the title
riveting tale, chap
>>
File: bourbaki.jpg (18 KB, 329x499) Image search: [Google]
bourbaki.jpg
18 KB, 329x499
>>35371489
start with baby rudin
>>
File: thatsthejoke.jpg (22 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
thatsthejoke.jpg
22 KB, 480x360
>>35373305
>>
>>35372039
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/does-coconut-oil-cure-alzheimers/
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.