[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Self-improvement General /sig/ SLEEP EDITION
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 22
File: Tu0GSZI.jpg (268 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Tu0GSZI.jpg
268 KB, 1920x1080
how have you improved yourself this week/month/year? (preferably outside of lifting)
*NEW* Recommended Videos:
http://youtu.be/b-a1jXgAsQI
http://youtu.be/3Ao7rZ8-HWo

Approved reading material:
http://pastebin.com/x7BbYimv

Things you should be doing:
-Exercise
-Put actual effort in to your diet
-Clean your room / house at least once a week, don't live in a pigsty
-Do daily, simple, effective things (Brushing your teeth, flossing, making your bed)
-Learn to play an instrument (imagine having 10 years experience playing the piano when you're 30)
-Read every day
-Wake up at the same time every day (and get at least 8 hours of sleep)
-Have a morning routine-Learn a second (or third) language (duolingo.com)
-Stretch every day to become more flexible (http://www.reddit.com/r/flexibility/comments/28anxp/welcome_to_our_first_ever_30days_toetouching/)
-Taking good care of your skin (http://np.reddit.com/r/SkincareAddiction/wiki/beginners)
-Meditate 10 minutes per day
-Stop cursing
-Make good long term decisions (getting braces, stopping smoking, losing weight)
-Make small goals with the “7 days to live” mentality and accomplish them in 7 days

"Live your life like you're being followed by a camera crew that are making a documentary about you"

If you have any additions or remarks to the lists above, feel free to post them
>>
>>28349628
nice pastebin bro, thanks
>>
>>28349628
>Stop cursing
what
>>
>>28349628
Why should I learn to play an instrument? Why should I wake up the same time everday? Why should I read everyday? Why should I learn a third language? Why should I stop cursing?

>fitness
>>
I'm new to this thing.
I recently started showering everyday again, actually managed to stick to it for three days. Brushing teeth, washing face everyday too.

But I have one of those shitty 5-blade razors and shaving feels like a massive chore. Should I get something else or just keep using this one?

Can't concentrate hard enough to meditate, it's like the internet ate away my attention span. How do I get better at concentrating

Oh and here's a decent link:
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2009/09/15/every-man-should-be-able-to-save-his-own-life-5-fitness-benchmarks-a-man-must-master/
>>
>>28349628
I stopped my endless bulk, and have switched to a diet of mostly brown rice and chicken. It's boring but my total has gone up 40 pounds while dropping 10 pounds of weight. I started learning with my roommate's guitar, he recommended I try the bass instead due to the size of my hands, so I may pick that up. I am currently ahead on my homework, and making sure I master the material of each class before I go to it again.
>>
>>28350061
>instrument
Fun, mastery, discipline
>wake up
Routine, discipline, habit. Consistent sleep schedule is good for circadian rhythm. Also if you sleep in one day you might not get to bed on time to wake up early the next
>language
People who learn a second or third language live longer. I don't have a source my prof told me that
>cursing
I disagree with this. Cursing has been shown to make you sound more trustworthy. Also in my personal experience, cursing while you tell a joke gets a much better laugh
>>
>>28350061
>health
>>
File: fedora.jpg (32 KB, 466x382) Image search: [Google]
fedora.jpg
32 KB, 466x382
>>28349628
>>28349628
>>28349628
Most fedora tipping post on 4chan.
>>
>>28349628
>"Live your life like you're being followed by a camera crew that are making a documentary about you"
kek

also
-learn how to speak whit diferent kind of people
-learn to speak in public
-learn how to make a speech
-do not discriminate people
-give
-when you feel you are done think if you are really done (you usually know if you can or you can´t do something)
-dont accept less of your potencial
-study!!!
-work hard
-take care of yourself (see a dotor at less twice a week)
-learn gramar (it helps a lot in some cases)
-cardio 2 times a week (get yourself a healthy heart )
-be kind
-do not waste time
-while washing your teeths remember to brush your tonge
-brush your teeths
-eat healthy
-remember to brush your teehts
-use deodorant
-DO NOT USE EXCUSES
-tell truth
-learn to tell truth on a decent way (example: "dude she is a whore" "she likes to date whit more than one at a time")
-spend less than an hour in 4chan
-answer text mails mesages and calls
-don´t make others feel bad
-don´t let others make you feel bad
-don´t get on a fight if you still can talk
-bad days are unavoidable bad reactions can be avoided
-bros help other bros
-not everyone will be your friend, but they deserve a chance to be it
-take it easy
-make a playlist
-being ashamed is normal on some situations
-sucessfull people can go beyond of their fears (but dont try to go beyond your fear to die, it cant hurt you ... a lot :( )
-older people give good advice
-work on your dreams
-work harder in yourself (not only fisical but mental)
>>
File: fyf.jpg (102 KB, 921x359) Image search: [Google]
fyf.jpg
102 KB, 921x359
>-Stop cursing
But why?
>>
>>28349628
>-Stop cursing
FUCK YOU FILTHY NIGGER NIGGER JEW ABO CUNT
YOU FAG FRENCH SUCKING LE BAGUETTE DU BONBON IN YOUR ASSHOLE
YOUR MOM WAS AN AUSTRALIAN ABORIGINAL SHITPOSTER
>>
>>28350184
why though?
>>
Okay OP I think we can agree that cursing in moderation never hurt anyone.

it's only bad if you use "fucking" as an adverb in every sentence you can fit it in
or something like that
>>
>>28349628
I recently went to see a doctor about my binge eating and now he wants to do blood tests as he thinks it's probably a symptom of on-running depression. It's going to be another few weeks before I start getting meds though. Any advice on how to control binge eating urges in the meantime? Having taken measures to change my outlook, I feel a little better and want to capitalise on it, perhaps even lose the weight I gained during my binge (about 5kg).
>>
>>28350188
>"she likes to date whit more than one at a time"

pls no

cheating ---> whore
>>
>>28350008
there is a lot of people whit bad attitude and that make them sick
>>
>>28350184
how the fuck is that even autistic, he/she trying to make other self improve, cunt
>>
File: risa (11).gif (3 MB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
risa (11).gif
3 MB, 600x338
>>28350267
kek
>>
>>28350267
think if youre dating your oneitis and then your bro calls her a whore, even though youre a reasonable person, youd still be offended by that language
>>
>>28350316
If my bro called her a whore he'd have a reason to. If that reason existed we wouldn't be dating, so he'd be insulting a stranger.
>>
So I still need to get contacts, get my teeth fixed, see if anything can be done about my big upper lip and then I think I might be happy with my face.

The only thing I can't fix is my height. At least I'm losing weight.
>>
>>28350120
Try using a straight razor. It can be intimidating at first but once you get used to it you won't want to use anything else.
>>
>>28350506
Don't really see them around at shops though, where do I get one?
>>
>>28350519
Just buy one online. If you search for shavettes you should be able to find a decent one for under $20
>>
>>28349628
>http://youtu.be/b-a1jXgAsQI
holy shit i learned so much
>>
since february i:
-started going to the gym regularly, i've been told i made some nice progress
-read a good few books
-quit smoking (so fucking proud, you guys)
-been spending more time on my hobby and less on staring at a wall or sleeping
-changed my diet to a nice cut and it's working
-started going everywhere by bike
-i drink much, much less, i don't really get sad drunk any more
-became a better scout in team fortress 2. probably should have kept that one to myself.

so yeah, surprisingly enough, i did improve myself quite a bit.
>>
Its extremely hard to be productive when you're tired 24/7.
>>
>>28351450
Go take a walk.
>>
>>28351450

>being natty

i remember when I was tired all the time
>>
>>28349628

That fucking picture

I hate it when underage fanboys ruin the portrayal of good characters
>>
>>28351472
>>28351487
I should have been more specific. I have a pretty specific disease that fucks me up. Doesnt matter how much i sleep my brain wont shut down. Everytime i get in a deep sleep state i see weird stuff that scares the crap out of me and makes me wake up.
>>
>>28351527
Do you mean you're having nightmares ?
>>
>>28351541
Not nightmares because im not asleep. Im still up but close to sleeping. Y'know what im talking about. So everytime i sleep im still active. Its funny tho because it makes cutting easier
>>
>>28350061
You shouldn't unless you enjoy them. There are only a few things on that list everyone should be doing, regardless of whether they enjoy them or not. Learning an instrument and thins like that just to 'improve yourself' is really silly if you don't actually like doing it.
>>
How do I motivate myself to study /fit/?

I waste so much time here ;_;
>>
>>28351595
Stop being a bitch and do it. Fucking underage fags.
If you cant control yourself how do you expect to control your life? enjoy being a mcdonalds employee
>>
>>28350199

>Serbian royalty

You should see their commonfolk, real friendly people
>>
File: 1374985343573.jpg (254 KB, 756x1323) Image search: [Google]
1374985343573.jpg
254 KB, 756x1323
>>28349628
>SLEEP EDITION
-wash your face before to go sleep (goodbay cist)
-slice a onion get it on a glass whit water put in your room when you are going to sleep (good bay stuffy nose)
-if you work standing in the day sleep whit no pillow and whit tour back flat on the bed (next day you will be like you were reborn)
-do not eat from 1 to 2 hours before to go sleep ... you can get nightmares and indigestion
-if cant sleep take a hot shower, dry your body and hair and go to bed (while still warm) you fall sleep like you were knocked out by muhamad ali
-try your bed as your soul no dirty thing on it, no clothes or disorder on it, keep it as clean as you can
>>
File: 1374985235993.jpg (83 KB, 500x617) Image search: [Google]
1374985235993.jpg
83 KB, 500x617
>>28349628
>>
>>28351595
Close the browser.
>>
>>28350343
>>28350267
What do you think dating means?
>>
>>28351675
I'm saving this shit, my sleep schedule is completely fucked and it's holding me back from being a good worker, getting to the gym, and having a good sex life. This weekend I completely skipped a night of sleep, I woke up at 7 PM yesterday.
>>
>>28351501
He said that in the show.
>>
I started talking to more people, being more social.
I've been trying to get into more student organizations on campus.
I've also been playing more video games than posting on 4chan of late which is good.
>>
>>28350265
lift more fag
>>
>>28349628
Lets see I've downloaded a daw and learning how to use it so i can make some music
Gonna start Keto tomorrow
also will try Minimalism with things like my workouts/food/room etc. hopefully should help stop my case of adhd.
meditation starting at 10mins.
get a job thats not mcdonalds :(

Routine is gonna be
wakeup at 5:30
drink water
stretch/foam roll
Look at my goals
cold shower
>>
File: 1386603288304.png (543 KB, 1320x2992) Image search: [Google]
1386603288304.png
543 KB, 1320x2992
>>28351737
i have 100 mb of self improvement general
let´s bring the pasta to this thread
>>
File: 1386609538756.png (522 KB, 1320x4882) Image search: [Google]
1386609538756.png
522 KB, 1320x4882
>>28352031
>>
File: 1392053872363.jpg (219 KB, 1260x736) Image search: [Google]
1392053872363.jpg
219 KB, 1260x736
>>28352101
>>
bookmarkedthread
>>
>>28351603
>>28351695
doubt those responses could help
>>
>Messy beard
>Messy hair
>Acne
>Skinnyfat

I only managed to keep showering for 3 days, today I feel like I'm giving up

don't know where to start dealing with all those problems anyway
>>
>>28349628
http://youtu.be/b-a1jXgAsQI
This guy is the exact reason I take public speaking courses. God I never wana end up like him. Horrible public speaker.
>>
I'm 25 going on 26 and stuttering has plagued me my whole life. I dropped out of college after high school due to failing a mandatory speech course (not mandatory for me specifically it's for everyone) and becoming depressed because of that. Was a NEET for around two years after. Going to a tech school now while working and things are looking good but the massive MASSIVE social anxiety is there due to my suttering.

Help me /fit/. I hate stuttering. Not even a bad looking dude, have close friends too. But in order to really succeed in the world you need presence. A voice people respect in order to excel in leadership positions. I don't have that because in high stress environments I stutter hard. Please, someone here has to know the feeling.
>>
>>28351557
I believe the proper psychology term is "night terrors".
>>
>>28352143
Damn.
>>
>>28352668
>shave your beard
>cut your hair
>wash more, don't touch your face so much, eat healthier, get some clearasil, change your sheets every week, shower before bed
>you're on /fit/. sticky. self-explanatory.

>only managed to keep showering for 3 days? wtf how is this even an issue? shower every day even if you don't think you need it. shower after working out or right before bed if you don't exercise that day.

Jesus fuck kid, why are you being such a coward? srs, I'll wait for replies.
>>
/fit/ unofficial self improvement FAQ

https://projectubermensch.wordpress.com/

Q. What is the formula for success?

1. Pick a goal
2. Take action
3. Make it consistent

Some examples …

Goal: gain 20 lbs of muscles
Corrective action: follow a push/pull/leg routine, progressively lift heavier weights
Consistency: lift 3 times a week and eat enough food

Goal: get a girlfriend
Corrective action: approach women, get phone numbers, ask her out
Consistency: go out 3 times a week and approach women / or go on dates

Goal: have $5000 in the bank
Corrective action: save $300 from every paycheck
Consistency: save 16 pay checks to get $5000
>>
File: 1408605823873.jpg (130 KB, 1028x732) Image search: [Google]
1408605823873.jpg
130 KB, 1028x732
>>28353240
Q. What causes failure?

1. Distractions (idle gossip, TV , video games, toxic friends)
2. Negative emotions: (fear, anxiety, guilt, low confidence)
3. Inaction – not sure what to do …

People fear failure due to negative emotions. So they dive into distractions, which leads to inaction.

Q. I’m on my journey to self improvement. But what will my friends think of me?

There is old saying that goes – a young man cares what other people thinks. A middle age man doesn’t care what other people think. An old man realize that other people didn’t care about him in the first place.
>>
>>28353257
How to start? Here’s the action list …

At the bare minimum, do this:

1. Get rid of everything that doesn’t support your journey to enlightenment. Ditch your loser friends. Completely stop consuming TV and video games.

2. Strive to exercise 4 times a week (ideally, lifting weights)

3. Read a book for 1 hour every day.

4. Meditate for 20 minutes every day.

5. Get your finance in order (save and invest your money)

Level 2:

6. Work harder at your career (upgrade your skills, take more relevant courses) or start a side business.

7. Have interesting (and productive) hobbies – martial arts, picking up women, traveling, survival skills, markmanship.
>>
>>28353162
I have one of those shitty multi-blade razors, it irritates my skin and causes acne, and straight razors cost too much.
My hair's messy because I haven't showered but for some reason I don't like showering. I used to do it everyday, I don't know why I stopped.

thanks for the advice

eh you're right I don't know why I'd actually complain about physical fitness-related problems when I'm on /fit/

When you stop going out and meeting people during the holidays, showering feels strange

I don't know why
Even if the answer to everything ever is just "stop being a lazy shit"
something feels different during holidays
>>
>>28353277
In conclusion – get going, because your life starts today

Ever see an old man at the park, staring at the pond, contemplating? He’s looking back at his youth, pondering about the things he’s done, before the death reaper snatches his body and soul, collapsing his body into an inanimate heap.

A youth walks by, looking at the old man. However, the youth forgets that his destiny is the same as the old man. Alas, old age seems to be decades from now, in some vague distant future.

Nothing is further from the truth.

You will become an old fuck before you know it, living life full of regrets. Don’t let this be you. Guard your time wisely. Have the courage to pursue your dream. Don’t shrink at fear. Do not coward at setbacks. Have the resolve to walk the narrow path, and become your ideal self.

The journey is long and hard. At times you’ll doubt yourself. But once you reached the summit, you’ll look back at your journey. It will be the most amazing adventure you’ll ever have.

Once it’s said and done, you’ll bask in your own glory, enjoying the fruits of your own work. The sheeps near the foot of the mountain, will crane their necks, looking upward at your enlightened being. The higher conscious sheep will look at you for aspiration. The lower conscious sheep will bahhh and maaaa at you, telling you to get the fuck off the summit. “What do you think you are, some special nigga?” they baaaa in unison.

But you smile inside, because you know you deserved it. Your effort, your courage and your resolved paid off.

Your time has come. Your great journey starts today.
>>
>>28351675
It's hard to take engrish seriously.

When I read that in my head I hear a retarded person giving me advice. Like Opie from family guy level retarded.
>>
>>28353284
schick 5blade vibrating. fuck yeah, shit's legit. obviously you'll need to trim it short enough. Hell, get yourself to a barbershop and spend the $30 for a full shave and a decent haircut. Then get a decent 4-5 blade and shave at minimum every other day, or else it'll start to get too long.

As for showering, as with a multitude of other things for your entire life, you gotta do it whether you like it or not. Just deal with it, life isn't always what you want.

"holidays"? You mean weekends? If so, bite the bullet. Or get out of the house to force yourself to have to be clean. Hell, I guarantee you'll feel better when you're clean and being productive. I too feel like hell and depressed and shitty when I spend the weekend on the couch or whatnot, write out a to-do list of stuff and feel accomplished. it'll do wonders.
>>
>>28353398
yeah if you shave regularly it's actually easier because you have less to shave
it's too long right now

I mean holidays. Uni hasn't started yet over here. And I'm taking a gap year and trying to find work experience anyway.

>write out a to-do list of stuff and feel accomplished. it'll do wonders.
Thank you, I'll try.
>>
>>28353420
well either get it trimmed or remove it. depending on the line of work you're looking towards, you'll have a better chance 95% of the time being clean shaven. it might suck, but that's the price you pay for earning a living.

Oh like summer break. Gotcha. Shit man, it's just down to discipline. "get off your lazy ass" is true, no matter how generic or lame it is. Live it up some, once you join the workforce there's no such thing as summer, but also don't be a basement dweller.

It's all in your mind man. You just gotta want it more. You can want and wish you did anything, but it boils down to wanting to do something more than you don't want to do it.

Let me leave you with this vid, ignore the dumb program they're trying to sell you, it's the message in the speech that matters.
http://youtu.be/Sk56VxaeqEQ

I gotta go, gotta get ready for work tomorrow. Best of luck in your endeavors.
>>
>>28353586
I like it clean shaven anyway.

Thanks for everything m8, hope all goes well for you
>>
I don't know, OP. Just today I was sitting on my ass playing video games and eating doritos in my trainwreck of a living space, and I conked out on my jizz-stained bed without brushing my teeth or anything. I was supposed to practice clarinet and read a book about self improvement that night, but whatever. I fell asleep at 2am and woke up at 9:30am and rushed to uni before realizing I slept right through my Spanish class. I threw myself to the ground in pathetic agony and sprained my neck. As my face hit the concrete all of my disgusting blemishes popped, leaving my face soaked in pus and tears. I really didn't feel like meditating now. Fuck. I then chain smoked a pack of cigarettes to calm my nerves. This is it, I thought, today I am going to kill myself. I eventually decided to cheer myself up by masturbating in front of parking lot security cameras. It was a pretty killer day.
>>
>>28353778
Did your face get injured and did you go to a doctor?
>>
>>28350179
Heath was removed a year or two ago.
>>
>>28353832
lmao, look at OP's post and then look at >>28353778
, dumbass
>>
>>28353931
ohright
>>
>>28350008
best excuse i've heard is that it short-circuits your thinking. instead of figuring out how you feel, or how you want to respond, you just use your default curse word, and move on.
>>
>>28354129

fuck that
>>
>>28354154
basically. half of the pasta shit is from 50-year-old fedora concepts that would be utterly fucking dismissed if they actually posted the context that they should come with.

>buy a house instead of renting
no fuck you, do the actual math and figure out if you expect to make money

>wash your hair every day
no, figure out your hair type (how oily is it naturally), because excessive washing can make your scalp produce even more oil to compensate

>Buy DVDs in bulk and burn all your files to them
DVDs start degrading after 10 years, stick with mechanical hard drives

>Put 1 dollar aside for lottery tickets every month.
fuck you this is why you're poor

fuck i have better things to do
>>
>>28349628
Ive improved myself by developing schizoaffective disorder in under a week
>>
>>28351450
Why are you tired all the time anon?
>>
>>28354792
Whooo! Schizoaffective disorder up in the house!

...I just tell people I'm bipolar.
>>
>>28353848
I have been lurking /fit/ for less than a year and when I first came here I'm pretty sure it was still Fitness & Health
>>
>>28355884

yep, the change wasn't that long ago

the name was only changed because you faggots only care about lifting and bitching about tfw no gf
>>
I'm trying to pick existentialism as a way of self-improvement, any recommendations/stories/whatever?
I'm currently reading Thus Spoke Zarathustra, I like Nietzsche's idea of the Übermensch
>>
I'm stuck at home with parents I hate at 18 because full time comunity collage, and need advice on the steps to get out. I'm going to get PT certs and a GED by next summer and look for jobs in the fitness industry, but what can I do in the mean time? Fast food job?
>>
>>28356260

That or low-end labour sounds like your main options.

Speaking from experience, its preferable to a lot of jobs in the fitness industry.
>>
>>28349628
bump, I like these threads
>>
>>28352101
>>28352143
Oh man I remember these from /b/ back when I was 15.
These kind of threads made me want to get /fit/
>>
>>28356053

read up on renaissance Italy's perception of the universal man, its more offers more of a holistic view of self improvement than Nietzsche.

Honestly all these threads can be condensed into:

>mind (study and read)
>body (lift, run, stretch)
>soul (meditate, sleep)

If you're reading pua bullshit, or how to self improve, you're a fucking idiot and have already failed. Aside from how to win friends and influence people, its pointless and pathetic.

If you're reading dumb shit like art of war, you're an idiot. Read something to do with current affairs that you actually learn from.

And to end it off, don't read fiction. It doesn't challenge you or make you improve yourself. Its better than watching tv but thats about it.
>>
>>28356053

How old are you? Nietzsche is good but don't fall into the trap of actually living how he thinks someone should live. His entire message is 'think for yourself', but for a beginner it's very hard and an existential crisis is almost inevitable. Although I think every remotely intellectual person goes through one at some point, Nietzsche is especially dangerous because he dictates that basically any ambition you have other than living completely alone and becoming the overman is conceding yourself as part of the 'herd'.
>>
>>28356534
>anon asks about existencialism
>NO READ THE RENAISSANCE EVEN THOUGH IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WHAT YOU ASKED
>ALSO DON'T READ ANTHING I DON'T TELL YOU TO, IT'S SHIT

autism
>>
>>28356534

>don't read fiction

Do you want to know how I can tell that you're an imbecile?
>>
>>28353277
>have interesting hobbies (...) picking up women

>so anon tell me about yourself
>um I followed an anonymous text on a thai cardboard agora and now I try hard to fuck every woman I know, it really made me feel a better person!
>>
>>28356558

You're a fucking idiot. Nietzche offers a perception of the perfect man, and OP asked for similar views.

The renaissance was the first time society came up with the concrete concept of what a man should be, it formed the idea of the universal man. That's why I pointed it out to him.

Anyways OP it can be summarized as
>enjoy art
>pursue education
>be wealthy
>be well read
>be well traveled

>>28356580

eat a dick
>>
>>28356686

talking to girls is pretty fun

i don't know why you dislike pickup

but i can tell you, if you believe fucking girls is a waste of time.... i got news for you
>>
>>28356534
I don't know about the renaissance and the works of that era, I will search for it, thanks.
And I read books on PUA a long time ago, now I'm past that stage.

>>28356539
I'm 18, and yea, I was starting to consider the idea of living alone and becoming the Übermensch, but I will consider what you're saying.
>>
>>28356310
My goal is to get into personal training once I calm down with the collage stuff, so I'm thinking fitness based jobs might be good for my resume.
>>
>>28356775

>once I am calm down with the collage stuff

please follow the OP's advice and read more
>>
>>28353294
Can you elaborate? I make it a point to not rush, when I go for leisurely bike rides I go down the streets marked "no outlet", knowing I will have to turn around. The old man at the park is enjoying the present, not looking back. He welcomes the reaper because he has lived his life. As long as time is spent doing what you want to do, I don't think it's a waste. Idk, I guess what really threw me off was the old man introduction and the sense of urgency in your post. Life isn't a race, improve everyday and reach your goals.
>>
Sup guys, I've falling into the trap of reading selfhelp books but not doing anything with the information

If I finish a book it's "well, thats a good way to look at things"
>>
>>28356814
I've seen this before and it confuses me. Can you try to give an honest analysis on why that is? Do you have no motivation, think its wrong, what exactly? People at work always talk motivationally about pursuing their dreams, and then in the same breath talk about how much they hate their job. I always try to point out the contradiction but it never sinks in.
>>
>>28356882

if they had the motivation to actually do what was in the book, they wouldn't be reading the book
>>
>>28356882
I'm scared of making moves, I also have no one to talk to and I don't feel comfortable with a psychiatrist

I don't really have friends and can't land job interviews.

I've read the flinch and when I bring in me resume I notice the stuff they talk about, I always bring in my resume but because I'm so nervous when I do I already fuck it up then are there
>>
>>28356944

you're overthinking it

someone posted before about the difference between a young man, a middle-aged man, and an old man

the young man cares what others think about him, the middle-aged man doesn't care what others think about him, the old man realizes no one cares about him anyway
>>
>>28351595
right now its not valuvale but in the future it will be the diference betwen 95 cents per hour and 30$ per hour
>>
>>28356982
well that's depressing
>>
>start getting my life together
>suddenly hit by a massive wave of severe depression and lose all hope
everytim
>>
>>28357118

it's really not. it's the exact opposite, really

it's freeing. no one cares about you or what you do. just do whatever the fuck you want. people will talk shit about you but they don't really give a fuck.

think about the people you talk shit about. do you really care about those people? whether they were arrested for child porn or they suddenly became super successful amazing people, you'd just shrug and move on with your life. they're an afterthought

so do whatever you want. what's really stopping you?
>>
>>28350188
>take care of yourself (see a dotor at less twice a week)

wut
>>
>>28354286
>i dont like this pasta
then edit and post your version anon
>>
>>28356686
>The renaissance was the first time society came up with the concrete concept of what a man should be
You have no idea what you're talking about
>>
>>28352143
>>28352101
>>28352031
why not zip it/dropbox it/ post it?
>>
How does one overcome fear of rejection from women?
>>
>>28358557
RAEP
>>
>>28349628
I've lifted
>>
>>28351312
Ur gona make it bruh, great progress.
>>
>>28352031
>>28352101
>>28352143
Thank you anon!
>>
>>28358557
You need a right state of mind and understanding. Also it gets easier the more you try.
>>
>>28357274
but.. he did
>>
can someone explain in words to me what meditating is?
>>
Why doesn't anyone add something pickup-related to this list? I'll admit it's a bit creepy to obsess over it, but it's not hard to stop and talk to five or ten women over a weekend and go for a phone number/date, and it will improve your love life immensely. Or do you guys only like self improvement when it's practised alone in your basement, without any fear of failure or rejection?
>>
File: Tame_Impala_Lonerism_Cover.jpg (152 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Tame_Impala_Lonerism_Cover.jpg
152 KB, 600x600
So I started hardcore self development after hitting a real bad low earlier this year. Since then I've improved my grades, study habits, gained 10lb of muscle, lost virginity, got a girlfriend, learned bass, learned the basics to investing and got a pretty 'cool' job for my age (casino dealer). But even looking back on all of these accomplishments and the daily habits that I have implemented to achieve these I'm kind of.. disappointed.
I'm proud of myself for doing all of this but I've sacrificed videogames with friends, watching cartoons/television and in a way - the way to relate to others who have normal interests and the feeling of being blissfully ignorant and happy. I think it's just me realizing that going on this developmental endeavor has left me ultimately alone (besides with my girlfriend). Is this a part of growing up? Losing a large network of friends to focus on other things. Or is it a by-product of the choice of lifestyle I have focused on for these past 6 or so months.

As of recent these thoughts have kept crossing my mind.
>>
>>28359040
Be in a quiet place, keep calm, close your eyes, make emptiness in your head, wait.
>>
Growing plants, and learning how to cook. On top of studying etc.
>>
>Post bothers me
>Can't figure out a way to criticize it
>LE EPIC FEDORA TIPPIN MEME go back to LEDDIT
>>
>>28349628
My sleeping scheduled is fucked and it's killing me at school. Almost fell asleep in a few of my classes.
>>
>>28359043

Answer me you fat fucks.
>>
>>28350265
That's a tricky one. Retraining your brain with meditation helped me, basically you need to change your entire outlook on food
>>
>>28359154
I used to work as a casino dealer. That work takes away, pretty good income from tips though.

Back to your question. It's both. I like to think of it as "filter" good, close friends stay, rest is out. Having such a job doesnt help either since (at least in my case) it started at 6-8pm (10-12 hour shifts) so the only friends i had contact with were my coworkers.

Don't worry about it anon, good luck to you. It's all natural and i think you're doing great. If you found a good girl then she's defintiely gonna be a good friend to you too.
>>
>>28349628
>Approved reading material:
Approved by who? The fedora master?
>>
>>28359321
fuck off. Wonder if you read more then 2 of those books, or should i say 2 books at all?
>>
>>28349628
*tip*
>>
>>28350120
>Can't concentrate hard enough to meditate, it's like the internet ate away my attention span. How do I get better at concentrating
It's something you practice

It's always hard to concentrate the first few minutes. If you stick to it for at least 10 minutes and keep trying to draw your focus back to your breath (or whatever else you chose when doing mindfulness), your mind will quiet
>>
>>28359268
They have put models by Mark Manson on the approved reading list. It's considered one of the prime books in regard to developing your ability to communicate and interact succesfully with women. Read it.
>>
>>28351312
>quit smoking
I am so glad.
Also great progress., but people are lying about gym progress unless you roid.
>>
>>28359510
I have read it. Doesn't mean shit if you don't put it into practice.
>>
>>28352890
It's not that bad you make it seem.
Start improving in other areas and you will feel better improving the overall life in which the stutter will be unimportant
>>
>>28353277
>productive hobbies
>picking up women
Pick one
>>
>>28351557
Sounds like night terrors/sleep paralysis. Those effects will just perpetuate themselves with consistent lack of sleep, so I recommend asking a doctor to prescribe you something.

>>28351595
You're addicted to 4chan. Go for a walk. Lock yourself up in a library/get on a train and force yourself to concentrate on a book for longer periods of time.
>>
File: 1402233188178.jpg (200 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1402233188178.jpg
200 KB, 500x500
>>28350184
>>
>>28359533
Then I really don't understand what you're going for. Of course your supposed to put it into practice; that's the whole point. What do you want, a book that makes you theoretically succesful with women?
>>
>>28359154
Friends to play video games.
Good you got rid of it. Both. Start befriending people with passions, visions, fire in their eyes and progress with them.
>>
>>28359154
You can never go back to being blissfully ignorant.
>>
>>28350199
which book is that?
>>
>>28349628
>http://pastebin.com/x7BbYimv
More reading material needs to be added

The Way of The Seal
The Code of the Warrior - Rick Fields
The Story of Civilization - Will Durant
The Story of Philosophy - WIll Durant
Starship Troopers - Robert Heinlein 1959 (actually has a lot of really powerful character building stuff in there)
Bravo Two Zero - Andy McNab
Immediate Action - ^
Seven Troop - ^

If blogs are included, then:
Art of Manliness
>>
I have better lists.

Things you should be doing:
-What you are passionate about.

Things you should absolutely not be doing:
-Reading or learning a language or playing an instrument etc. because it "improves" you and not because you actually find it interesting and enjoyable.
-Basing your lifestyle on what random idiots watching an imaginary documentary about you might think.
>>
>>28359697
So what happens when you are passionate about super nerdy shit because of circumstances during your childhood?
>>
>>28359697
>Do things you're passionate about

This implies that passion is not cultivated, and it is innate. When that's not the case, just because you love something, doesn't mean you love doing it, or have passion to do it.

Passion is cultivated.

http://www.theminimalists.com/cal/
>>
>>28350061

You shouldn't learn to play an instrument, you shouldn't wake up the same time erryday, you shouldn't read erryday, you shouldn't learn a third language, and you shouldn't stop cursing.

You should just lift, make money, and fuck every married woman you can, while her husband is doing all of those beta things.
>>
>>28359728
There's no such thing as cultivating passion. You can't create passion -- passion comes when IT wants to, not when you want it to. Pouring time and energy into something you find boring in the hopes that you'll eventually become passionate about it is a great way to end up hating yourself.
>>
File: 1388964851613.jpg (57 KB, 396x446) Image search: [Google]
1388964851613.jpg
57 KB, 396x446
>>28354286
>renting not buying
Have fun forking out a lot of money over the course of your life to have shelter over your head, for you to come out the other end with no shelter to your name.

Renting has to be one of the worst things. You don't own the house, you might be forced to move, you can't completely make it your own because it's not yours.

Long-term renting is dumb, just buy a fucking house.
>>
>>28359811
http://www.kenblanchard.com/getattachment/Leading-Research/Research/Employee-Work-Passion-Volume-4/Blanchard_Employee_Passion_Vol_4-(1).pdf

Have some research.

Distill that down and what do you get?

It's not about doing something you love, it's about loving what you do. Adopt a craftman's mindset, do you think making chairs/tables/cupboards as a wood worker and carpenter would be fun?

That sawing, the shaving, the sanding, the finishing, and everything in between cause I know fuck all about wood work. It's pretty mundane, arduous, boring shite. Yet a craftsman loves it, why?

Because he's mastered it, because he has autonomy,because he gets feedback, because variety (no chair, no table, is the same). How does he achieve mastery? By putting in his love, how does he obtain autonomy? Well, that comes from mastery. Feedback? He asks for it. So on.

Look, I'm not demeaning what youre saying. Some people love crafting, some find it boring - but "following your passion" is some dangerous advice.

However, you're telling me you cannot cultivate passion - and I won't have a bar of it. Do your homework.
>>
>>28349628
>tfw you speek 4 languages

Not that it's a lot, but it just happened. I didn't even put any effort on it.
>>
>>28360642
tfw unemployed janitor highschool drop out with no passion fucking kill me now
>>
>>28360962
>>28360642
theres one thing i loved though was stripping wax off VCT and rewaxing, the best of the janitorial world
>>
>>28351312
>better scout in TF2

Though you see it as something to hide, it's a consequence (direct on not) of your work on yourself.
Vidya is as good a hobby as another, all in moderation.
>>
>>28360962

>tfw i walked off my underpaid commercial landscaping job that had way to many risks

still makes me feel like an ass
>>
>>28352890
Just get over it. Accept that you'll stutter. If it can be improved take speech therapy. If not, simply stop obsessing over it.

p.s.
I stutter too
>>
I sleep on my back on a hardwood floor.

Is this bad for me?
>>
>>28349628
yo niggas, hi
>>
>>28361153
well obviously.....
>>
I need a gymbro to guide this skeleton through the wonderful world of lifting. I've been doing my own stuff at home, but finally got a gym membership since I have a job now. Guess I'll start by asking someone to spot me.
>>
>>28363020

start by reading the sticky...................
>>
>>28360900
every single thread you guys show up
you know how I know you're full of shit?

people who are actually proficient in multiple languages understand their limitations and don't go around bragging about something so ephemeral as 'speaking a language'
>>
>>28361153
>http://np.reddit.com/r/SkincareAddiction/wiki/beginners
Not necessarily. If you find it uncomfortable, or if you wake up stiff then it probably is.
>>
>>28363085

I dont understand why is it "so good" to know that many languages

anyone serious talks english and in most situations, it is the only language you really need to communicate

besides that, I'd really like to understand why people want to learn more than their natal language + english
>>
File: 1405535108024.jpg (51 KB, 506x505) Image search: [Google]
1405535108024.jpg
51 KB, 506x505
>>
>>28363085
>I know you're full of shit

Whatever m8, you're the one acting as if it's a big deal. I clearly said that it's nothing special and it just happened. I'm not even interested in learning languages, I think it's a waste of time (except for learning enish). That time can be better spent to study math/physics/chemistry.
>>
>>28363988
English*
>>
>>28363127
Depends what you want out of life...
I generally agree, but on the other hand I was bored with my old job and so I learned Chinese, now I have a much better job involving the language, thinking of getting a PhD involving the language, and I fucked a lot of Chinese girls (not that attractive but sometimes the sex was crazy). Worked out well for me.

But yeah, for 98% of the people here you need to know your native language and English and beyond that, languages are just a weird hobby.
>>
>>28351595
post homoporn until they ban you
>>
I reading and summarizing a load of the self-help style shit
If these threads are still going later on and anyone gives a shit I'll post em up
>>
>>28359154

Just apply the same concepts to socializing and making friends
>>
>>28351595
>>28351603
>>28351695
>>28357104
>>28359585
>>28364176

why hasnt anyone yet mentioned LEECHBLOCK? Install it, lockdown the pages that suck your time for 24 hrs
>>
>>28359238
*tips fedora*
>>
>>28363988
> nothing special
> just happened

see that's just it. if I claimed that I could squat 4pl8 and said "nbd guys, it just kinda happened" everybody would know I'm full of shit.

sure, maybe I put 4pl8 on the bar, but if it's not something I've worked hard on there's no way I'm doing full rom squats with good form
>>
>>28351595

When I need to study I write down my goal and time limit it; say 5 pages of my maths book by 9 p.m. Making goals time-constrained puts the fear of failure into you. If you don't time-constrain them you can reason that you'll do it later and haven't technically failed
>>
>>28352031
>polo/button up shirt with undershirt

god..this shit just rapes my eyes
>>
>>28365791
I honestly still have clothing from High school back when I just played WoW a lot and I still wear that shit. I wear cargo shorts and t-shirts, no fucks given.
>>
>>28365791
it's >implied
that the undershirt shouldn't be visible. For most people, even a visible undershirt with a button up would be better than their standard style.
>>
>>28359154
share your secrets on how you became the better you.
>>
>>28365965
>>28365966
Polos and shirts are nice, the undershirt just completly ruins it if it's visible.
At least wear one which you can't see if you're sweating so much.
>>
>>28366119
and: don't buy shirts with pockets or short sleeved ones..
>>
>>28365966
>>28366151
Agreed.
>>
In 4 years I have taught myself to code. I started off with "Hello, World!" and ended up writing a few games.

If anyone is thinking bout taking up a challenge I would really recommend programming because it doesn't take a lot of commitment.
>>
>Lost 27 lbs since late May
>Started teaching myself chinese over the summer, put on hold to spend more time preparing for the MCAT
>on a sleep schedule, feels fucking great
>started lifting yesterday, feel sore but otherwise good
>stopped listening to sad music as often as I did

Goals for the next 6 months:
>Get a 4.0 this semester
>Get at least a 28 on the MCAT
>Resume chinese
>cut down to 175ish lbs (~28 lbs)
>cut down on video game playing

It horrified me when I checked my playtimes on steam that across all games in the past 1 year and 4 months I had logged over 2,000 hours (roughly 4 hrs/day).

future plans for improvement
>>
>>28366801
Mandarin or Cantonese?
>>
When's the best time of day to meditate? Just after waking? Just before bed? After exercise? Before?

Also, how much sleep is optimal?
>>
>>28366842
Mandarin
>>
>>28366151
what the fuck is wrong with short sleeved shirts?
>>
>>28366151
>>28366119
How do you buy an undershirt that can't be seen? Are you talking about a wife beater?
>>
>>28366801
>lost 27 lbs since late May
Damn nigga, I've lost about 30 since late May. Great going man, what weight and height you at now? I'm currently at 215 and 6'
>>
>>28366891

Buy one with short sleeves; crew-neck for good button-up shirts, v-neck for polos. Wife beaters show through some button-ups, depending on the fabric.
>>
>>28366933
But crewneck can be seen on the neck opening

Or are you only talking about dress shirts buttoned up fully?
>>
File: 1409078286233.png (1 MB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
1409078286233.png
1 MB, 640x1136
Sleep routine. Things that work for me:

1. Enough physical activity during the day. Cold room at night. Cannot be hot if I want to sleep well.
2. Flux installed on all electronics.
3. Avoidance of general bright lights after sundown
4. If stressed, mindfulness meditation in bed
5. If unable to sleep, some combination of:
- Diphenhydramine 25mg
- Melatonin 5mg Extended Release
- Phenibut 500mg for the knockout blow

Lastly, if I truly can't sleep one night, I simply accept it. I used to get really stressed, anxious, angry if I was unable to sleep. Now, I just get up and eat or do some activity. I've found that this improved my overall quality of life. A few hours of missed sleep here or there doesn't do much in the long run, at least for me.
>>
> Took the bar exam, waiting on results
> Teaching myself Russian; two years in, I can do it pretty well, just can't speak fluently, so planning a long immersion trip once I have the money
> Making an effort to reach out more to people, both for networking and for more social life
> Working with a pair of friends to design business plan for a brewery; if we all live frugally for the next few years, we should be able to pull it off without serious debt
> Bonus points in that I was an engineer before becoming a law student, meaning that if I do all the engineer's work in the brewery I can sit for the PE exam for even more credentials
> Put in application with patent office; if I receive this job, after two years I can telecommute 100% of the time, meaning I'll have the time and freedom to build successful brewery, or to travel if those plans fall through
> Have begun to really enjoy reading nonfiction in my spare time
> Meditating at lunch erry day
> In the last two years, have worn fedora only on Halloween plus one 20's theme party
> Realizing just how much time there is to get shit done when you wake up at 5 and restrict vidya games to saturdays only

> Plans all on hold while recovering from pilonodal cystectomy. Seriously /fit/brahs, do not put it off, even to study for the bar, the cyst and the necessary operation only become worse over time, butthurt destroys gains and makes you browse 4chan during the day
>>
>>28366920
As of last friday 203 @ 5'9"
>>
>>28366801
>MCAT
Shoot for 30 brother, you've got this.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/breaking-down-the-mcat-a-3-month-mcat-study-schedule.623898/
>>
>>28367166
Nice bro, keep going. We're both gonna make it
>>
File: 1400616189099.jpg (39 KB, 547x824) Image search: [Google]
1400616189099.jpg
39 KB, 547x824
Hello fitizens..

How do you deal with letting go grudges on someone? I have had bad moments with some people,

for example an ex cheating on me,
dad didnt care about me
etc

and all I can feel about them is despise, anger, disgust and sometimes even rage for ruining some of the little nice things in my life

Recently I read someone over here, saying: gee, you dont have to forgive them, but you just gotta let that go, don't let that shit ruin your life, or hold you back....

meh I dunno.. I feel confused, I feel like letting them have it their ways turns me into a complete manipulable dummy, but I dont want either to have those feelings holding me back

wat do :(
>>
>>28349628

Things I do:
- Exercise 4 times a week
- Good diet
- Clean flat
- Brush teeth, floss, mouthwash, dentist every 6 months
- Muay Thai twice a week
- Read every day
- Wake up at the same time every day
- Have a morning routine
- Stretch 4 times a week
- Curse (everybody can suck my dick)
- Stopped smoking
- Curse (suck my hairy bollocks)

:D :D :D
>>
>>28367134
>F.lux
Lux auto brightness for android
>>
>>28350141
I'm proud of you brah
>>
>>28367253

the only way you can get over them is to look down on them. you look down on them by elevating yourself above their position (self improvement)
>>
>>28367265
jelly mirin. love my iphone but dont wanna go through the hassle of jailbreaking to get it installed, only device i just try to generally avoid using after dark.

>inb4 OS-flaming

>>28367253
i set goals and work towards them. in fact, you could say my whole life is really working towards a series of different goals. i get so wrapped up in them (as they define me), i honestly dont have the time or the care to bother considering other people who have wronged me. if i dwell on it, sure, it makes me angry - but what does that do for me and my progression towards said goals? nothing. so i re-focus on the task at hand.

my two cents anyways
>>
>>28351175
dat story in the beginning
fucking norwegian guys
>>
>>28367235
Thanks man keep rolling on!
>>28367227
Sweet I'll have to figure out how exactly to get this to fit, but it looks doable. Thanks for the link!
>>
>>28367313
Get a Nexus 5 now or in the next couple months. With the new one coming out soon, deals are coming out for it. I have a Nexus 5, it's an absolutely fantastic phone. Doesn't require a contract with it, can be used with any (I think, I know it's not attached to any single carrier) carrier, and you can get a 16gig brand new one for a little over $300
>>
>>28367253

I had a hard time with that too. Spent a few years hating a handful of people over some drama and cheating. I'd see them around, or just randomly think of them, and it would all come back as fresh as ever.

What I eventually realized was that doing that gave them power over me. I was acting and thinking like a child - why should anyone be able to ruin my whole day just by existing? It's not their fault, it's mine. Their actions are their own, but if I choose to react by letting myself be pointlessly angry, that's my loss, and it's certainly not going to change the past or improve my future.

So my ex cheated. So what? It's done. Hell, the guy didn't even know she was taken at the time. Why should I be mad at him? Why should I feel like he owes me an apology? If anything, I should buy him a beer; the only reason I knew she'd cheated was because he bragged to a mutual friend about it.

Roll your eyes at it, mutter angrily for a second or two, and then let it go so you can focus on whatever you meant to be doing.
>>
>>28352890
i stutter as well, for me its pretty much linked to confidence. I try to work on it but i feel this will never truly stop
>>
What does /fit/ read?
>>
>>28367574
christopher hitchens
chuck palahniuk
john green
noam chomksy
>>
>>28367620
why hasn't /lit/ killed you?
>>
>>28367620
>Christopher Hitchens
>not Peter Hitchens

I am disappointed.
>>
>>28367574
sci fi thrillers and apocalyptic survival type stories for fun.

training and physiology studies for brain gains.

>based AARR monthly newsletter
>>
>>28367705
> no Jack Hitchen
>>
>>28367705
Peter sucks
>>
>>28367253
>>>28367286 >>28367313 >>28367358

thanks..
>>
>>28354286
>fuck you this is why you're poor

1:1,000,000,000 is infinitely better than 0:1
>>
>>28367938
I bet you're a leftist
>>
>>28366801
>>28367227
30 isn't what you should be aiming for anymore... Most American MD schools are looking for 30 minimum.
>dat dere 35 reporting
>residency in a couple months oh god shoot me
>>
>>28367574
Trying to read philosophy, but it really isn't a good topic to read when you're just starting.

Tomorrow I'll receive my copies of The Stranger and The Brothers Karamazov. So I'll probably read those first.
>>
>>28367134
Try ~2000mg of fish oil right before bed. I'm serious here, just try it and see if it works for you. That shit was magic for me.
>>
>>28365556
I think maybe he's defining "no big deal" as, "no adversity", rather than "no effort required".

For example, I had essentially no adversity getting to a 4pl8 squat. I went to the gym, did my training, slept right, ate right, and it happened according to plan. No "effort" outside of the baseline amount was required.
Now that I'm moving from 4 to 5pl8, I have encountered adversity in the way of needing additional mobility work and cleaning up form to deal with some elbow pain during squatting.

So what anon might mean is that is wasn't a big deal because he just did it. No setbacks, trying times, it just happened. That's how it seems to go when one finds something they're good at, up to a certain point.
>>
>>28366151
Enjoy being uncomfortable because you're so worried about other people's impressions of you. Anybody in life worth impressing isn't going to rule you out based on what you're wearing. A guy in tatters who knows his shit and is willing to work for what he wants will always be picked over a slick-looking bullshitter. The idea that the clothes make the man is dead except in pop culture and the self-help world.
>>
>>28367146
>pilonidal cyst

Fuck that shit anon. I had to go through the whole thing, laid on my stomach for a month with this horrible vacuum bandage apparatus that made loud fart-esque noises at random. I feel your pain. Immediately got laser hair removal after that experience and I keep that whole area squeaky clean these days.
>>
>>28367574

I usually read two books at a time, one fiction and one nonfiction. Whichever I feel like at any given moment. Right now, I'm reading the Witcher novels and American Lion, the Andrew Jackson biography. Before that, I was reading the Vorkosigan saga and the Mitrokhin Archive. Before that, the new Dresden Files book and A Brief History of Time.
>>
>>28368005
do you understand what 1/10^9 looks like? it's putting a dollar into the trash and having it dropped back into your lap within a day. it's the probability that all of our knowledge of the moon is wrong, and the entire thing is made out of green cheese. it is an unimaginably tiny fucking number.

and 0% probability does not actually occur in real life. if the universe is infinite, there is an exact duplicate of you located 10^(10^29) meters away, because matter only has a finite number of configurations. consider that before babby's first math teacher tells you something is "infinitely" more likely than anything.
>>
>>28367334
>tfw you bought a Sameshit s5 instead of a Nexus

I regret this decision literally every single day of my life.
>>
>>28368865

Forgot to add reviews and recs:

None of those fiction books are particularly deep, but they're all a ton of fun to read. Good page-turners. American Lion is very well-written, almost like an old novel, so it's easy to follow along, much less dry than history books can sometimes be. The Mitrokhin Archive is much more dryly written and hard to follow at times, especially if you aren't familiar with Russian names. I had to reread some parts to really get them just because it's hard to know who is who, but the details are really interesting once you get used to it. A Brief History of time is not going to have any surprises if you passed basic physics classes in college, but it does break down a lot of very complicated concepts in an accessible way. Quick review for anyone with the knowledge, and a good first look for anyone else.
>>
>>28368937
Damn, that sucks. I got a 32gig white Nexus 5, absolutely amazing. Only issue is the battery life, so I got an extended battery case for it, now I can easily go two or more full days of constant use with everything eternally turned on (bluetooth, gps, etc)
>>
>>28368288
That's what I meant. A 30 won't get you anywhere spectacular, but it makes you a legitimate applicant. Props on your residency man, Zyzz be with you.

>>28349628
I'd like to recommend adding "How to Read a Book" by Mortimer J. Adler to the reading list. It's a phenomenal resource for extracting all you can from important books. In addition, it constantly references all the "Must-reads" during its arguments.

>http://www.amazon.com/How-Read-Book-Intelligent-Touchstone/dp/0671212095/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409094368&sr=8-1&keywords=how+to+read+a+book
>>
>Hayfever swoops in
>Headache, runny nose, eye watering, sneezing fits
>Do absolutely nothing all day
>no shower, no brushing teeth
>now in bed

I have failed
>>
This thread is Great. It should be a daily thing.
>>
>>28367574
Finished reading Mark Manson:Models, now Seven habits of highly effective people
>>
File: tumblr_mlh0oymawo1rby5xwo1_500.png (143 KB, 500x298) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mlh0oymawo1rby5xwo1_500.png
143 KB, 500x298
>Elon Musk, founder of Paypal that revolutionize e-commerence, he also found Tesla, taking the multi-billion dollar industry heads on, he also found Space X, his plan his to build rockets and colonized mars, he is the chair man of Solar City, to completely make Earth run on 100 percent solar energy
>has a 10/10 waifu
>has a 10 inch dick

>tfw you'll never make it like him ;__;
>>
File: tumblr_mmd13zSTDN1rby5xwo1_500.jpg (41 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mmd13zSTDN1rby5xwo1_500.jpg
41 KB, 500x500
>>28375393
His 10/10/ waifu who is 16 youngers them him
>>
>>28375404
Don't forget, he's also a billionaire.

>tfw you'll never make it compared to Elon Musk

I want to die.
>>
>>28363127

American pigdog, here. I'm learning Korean so I can bail on Merrica, move to SK, and lie about my originating country continually to save face. They largely speak English over there, but having both won't hurt.
>>
>>28349628
>all those self-help books
How to Win Friends was sort of helpful, in that it offered social tricks and small things to add to your nuances. A few of the others are boring and/or useless in my opinion, and they're all for different topics. OP, maybe suggest a couple of books for each area (picking up girls, increasing learning capacity, being positive etc). I should read Book of Pook though, because I've heard good things.

Gonna also suggest getting /lit/-fit (jump on their sticky), and getting into lifehacks. Just started listening to audio-books at work (allowed iPods)

Also, put this shit into practice. Just reading about it will not make you a better person, and you'll forget it all. Reading lifting books won't get you swole, and reading self-help books won't help you in the same manner.

>>28353257
>a young man cares what other people thinks. A middle age man doesn’t care what other people think. An old man realize that other people didn’t care about him in the first place.
That's a bit cynical.
Admittedly a lot of my friends shit on me for not being who I was at 17 (borderline alcoholic, overweight, only talked when drunk) and I'm actually leaning towards the 'people only express interest in you for the social validation of gives them' angle currently, so you have a point, but you've worded it so negatively.

>>28356539
Nothing wrong with being part of the herd, if it fits with what you truly want.

>>28356924
I somewhat agree with this. These books aren't written for shut-in NEETs that haven't spoken to anyone outside of their immediate family for five years, or kids just out of high school that spent the whole time being awkward.

You really need to lay your own foundation with social skills before using these books to add nuance to your behaviour.

>>28358557
>hit on person that means exactly zero to you
>fuck it up / get knocked back, whatever
And nothing of value was lost. All about perspective. It's like handing out job résumés
>>
>>28375404
>tfw no Tesla car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QweNsLesMrM

>sadfrog.jpg
>>
>>28352767
he is not too pleasant or interesting to listen too. his voice lacks any sense of conviction.

i'd recommend The Art of Public Speaking by Dale Carnegie for anyone who hasn't read it. Almost 100 years old and still a extremely useful and helpful book.
>>
>>28368898
You do understand that infinitely possible is the case purely by lack of crossing between the duplicated in this age.
>>
>Had to dump gf yesterday because she constantly hurt me over the last 3 weeks
>Long distance relationship (200km)
>She always failed contacting me at all, played WoW 14 hours a day, wouldnt change

I feel like shit, really. She cried, begged me not to do it, etc. etc. But she wouldnt have changed. It would have gone back to the same thing again and again.
But still i feel like shit and regret.
What to improve in order to change? I guess i need to get to known to some other girls, but i have no clue how. There are zero femals in my social circle, which is obviously small.
>>
>>28376141
Actually this is a good point - short of joining clubs or through friends, how to join new social circles?
>>
>>28375393

Dare I ask how you know Elon Musk's dick size?
>>
>>28359815
Depending on the housing market, cost of living and lifestyle a house may not be a good investment.The only guaranteed winners in real estate are the bank and the realtor. If you make money off a house thats a bonus.

Consider that you are renting a bachelor pad at 1k a month. To buy the same pad might cost 350k. You go to the bank with 35K as a downpayment to get a loan and lets say the interest is 5% p.a. The interest in the first year prior to you paying anything is $15,750. You generally pay loans back at three times the borrowing cost over time in total presuming minimum repayments. Thats 945k. On top of that there's govt. sales tax when buying and selling the house, insurance, degradation and fluctuating property markets, and buying a house starts to look very daunting. For 12K a year you can give 1 months notice and be anywhere in the world after that. You can't put a nail in the wall but you don't have to pay for anything if it breaks or needs upkeep, and you're not being fucked on by compounding interest, government stamp duty and realtors taking a bigger cut than the steam marketplace.

Renting is a /very/ viable option long term.
>>
>>28376604
Because I have seen it.

>people compare Elon Musk to Steve Jobs
>Steve Jobs was a closet gay guy who made computers more prettier and make a cool phone
>Elon Musk created a FUCKING car company from the grounds up
>create rockets to ship people to space
>create a business model for solar energy
>and now is creating a hyperloop, how to travel from California to L.A in 30 minutes

BASE AS FUCK. He's Steve Jobs x 1000, in a sense he will have a more lasting impact on humanity then Gay Jobs.

>tfw you'll never get to suck Elon Musk's 10 inch dick ;__;

>>28377376
Base as fuck, thank you. It's post like this is why I visit /fit/ because it's educational
>>
>>28377614

>Crediting Steve Jobs with being anything other than a faggot

Steve Wozniak did everything for that cunt.
>>
File: image.jpg (791 KB, 2464x1648) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
791 KB, 2464x1648
>>28349628
lol, a whole general about this ?

>workout
>workout some more
>do something outside
>leave your laptop/cell/ipad, don't take it to bed

there, i fixed you
>>
>-Meditate 10 minutes per day
Nigga I meditate 30 minutes at least
>>
>>28349628
I've started a #100daysofselfimprovement for myself to try and get myself out of this depression.
>>
>>28377657
Same here. 10 minutes is good for beginners, 30 minutes if you're Sayian tier.
>>
>>28377657
>>28377718
I first tried meditating yesterday for 15minutes, i just sit motionless and was thinking about random stuff, is that really meditating?
>>
>>28377995
It is, as far as I am concerned.
Were you at the same time focusing on keeping your breath at a certain pace all the time you were meditating ?
>>
>meditate
>stop cursing
>"Live your life like you're being followed by a camera crew that are making a documentary about you"

Thats nonsense. The last part sounds like the youtube fags that think they are celebrities because they point a camera at their face and talk about nothing.
>>
>>28375438
>check out the /lit/ sticky, get /lit/-fit
It never even occurred to me to check out /lit/, much less their sticky. Thanks anon.
>>
>>28356539
This. The mentality of being either a loner or part of the herd, one box or the other, it's just ridiculous. Find the truths that resonate with you, and go with your gut
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.