[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Getting girlfriend to lose weight (and keep it off)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
My girlfriend used to be a cute but like with most women in their late 20's she turned kind of chubby (been with her for five years now).

Thing is, she knows it's true and she does take steps to lose weight but always go's about doing it the wrong way.

What she will do is go on a crash diet, almost starving herself and eating almost nothing but 0% sugar dairy products and cardio 4-5 hours a day. Which works for the first couple of weeks but then she always finds some excuse to bounce back and gain back all the weight she lost. She has repeated this cycle for like 5 times now and I've already told her that it's because she is too rigorous, the diet is not something she can maintain for long periods and she's missing nutrients she needs, so she will bounce back eventualy. She then always responds with something along the lines "I know how to lose weight I've done it in the past".

I've also tried going to the gym together but it hasn't had the effect I hoped it would either (because she doesn't have the eating part down).

Any anons in a similar situation that have some advice on how to tackle this? I'm getting increasingly desperate at the idea that she won't be able to lose the weight ever

Some background info, she's about 165-170 pounds at 5'11
>>
>>35337343
Slowly ease her into a similar diet as you, women and men's dieting is very similar. That should help, keep up the excersize too. Good luck friendo.
>>
Yeah, classic case of dieting. Explain to her how proper nutrition works, and that a few weeks of fucking up her body don't work, again and again and again, until she gets it. And maybe just don't buy shitty food. Ask her if she's letting you be in charge of what you buy and if there's only healthy stuff around, suddenly there's not much of a self discipline issue.
>>
>>35337343
Motivation is the problem anon.

My flatmate (also a grill) put on weight over the summer, like 28lbs or so when she's only 5'. She's been much fatter in the past and lost it all, and she's aware she's pretty fat now, she just admits she currently doesn't have the motivation to do anything about it. As much as I want to get her into the gym with me again and get her eating right because she'll be all round happier, constantly nagging her just made us argue. So I'm just leaving her to it until she's ready to do it herself, then I'll help.

She also has depression which is why she gained so much weight, but meh. Can't do much about that.
>>
>>35337343
What is it with women that makes them go for crash diets rather than a sistainable lifestyle change?

The allure of a quick fix?
>>
>>35337343
She is dumb and impulsive, so:
>she won't be able to lose the weight ever
Deep down you know it's true.
>>
>>35337436
They can't plan long-term, and can't think rationally.
>>
>>35337352
How would I 'slowly ease her into it' though?

All I can do is explain it to her again and again, but that hasn't been a very effective strategy in the past.
>>35337389
>And maybe just don't buy shitty food
That's good advise I guess
>>35337436
Probably, probably also just a case of ignorance about nutrition
>>
Don't have it OP: tell her to drop the fat, or you'll drop her. Your inflexible affection is enabling her obesity.
>>
>>35337343
>"I know how to lose weight I've done it in the past".
Maybe she's lost 3 pounds this way, but she's never lost THIS much weight using that method.

She needs a proven approach to lose the amount of weight she has to lose now.

Tell her to download MyFitnessPal, it's honestly a godsend
>>
>>35337501
her setting should probably be "mildly active" to "not active", nothing above that.

and she's not allowed to log walking around as exercise either.
>>
Both of you need to download myfitnesspal app, set some easy goals and do it together.

I'm doing it with my gf who had similar issues to your gf, and we've stuck to it for about a week now, which honestly is a huge change for her.

it gives you a little progress indication every evening after you close your log, prevents you from consiously under-eating with a message (you will see it), and both of you need to be doing it together. having a visual representatino of the calories you eat completly changes your perspective from whatever fantasy you're living in where a burrito contains 200 calories to reality.
>>
>>35337501
>Maybe she's lost 3 pounds this way, but she's never lost THIS much weight using that method.

She has, she was almost at the point of anorexia at some point in her past (long before I knew her). But you are right with the rest of your post that would be the best way. I'm just having a hard time thinking about how I will convince her.

The myfitnesspal is a great tip, thanks
>>
>>35337343
Do you live together? If so just fucking cook for both of you.
>>
>>35337526
>she was almost at the point of anorexia at some point in her past
don't care

>(long before I knew her)
ah, see i didn't care because it was probaly made up bullshit, and this pretty much confirms that she was feeding you bullshit so you'd ease off her about being fat and disgusting

> I'm just having a hard time thinking about how I will convince her.
quit being a pussy, and download the app onto both of your phones, set it up, and just go. don't think about it anymore, just do it.

thank me later.
>>
Why do white people have such low self control, jesus fucking christ, how hard is it to eating some veggies once in a while and not touch chocolate. Next to niggers in terms of following along basic impulses and delaying gratification.
>>
>>35337545
>ah, see i didn't care because it was probaly made up bullshit, and this pretty much confirms that she was feeding you bullshit so you'd ease off her about being fat and disgusting

Well you know, we have these things called photos? And they kind of confirm exactly what she said, that she was almost anorexic at some point.

>quit being a pussy, and download the app onto both of your phones, set it up, and just go. don't think about it anymore, just do it.

I will, as I said that's sound advice
>>
>>35337343
lel I have the exact same problem with my gf (2years and half now)

>I know how to lose weight ive done it in the past

I know so much this feeling, shes not a fatty, she has a bit of fat on or stomach but still shes flat, which is nice but id like that she comes to the gym with me
>>
>>35337566
So what are you? A small dicked Asian?
>>
>>35337566
because YOLO SWAG ASK ME ABOUT MY PRONOUNS EFF YOUR BEAUTY STANDARDS I WANT CHOCKIE
>>
>>35337567
lmao what is "almost anorexic?"

ever hear a doctor go,"i'm sorry miss, but you're almost anorexic. we have to start treatment immediately."

sounds like some tumblr BAWWW some fat whale would write while justifying inhaling a wendy's frostie, with chili, a triple, and fries
>>
>>35337578
>>35337579

so sensitive too :^)
>>
>>35337595
>4chan
>sensitive

nigga you GAY
>>
>>35337566
>Why do white people have such low self control,

In the US, white people have a lower rate of obesity compared to hispanics, blacks and natives. Asians have the lowest rate. In Europe obesity is lower than in the US.

The only reason non-whites aren't obese is because they are poor as shit and doesn't have access to such a large variety of food that we are quickly and easily able to get in the first world. But as you can see, when non-whites live in the first world, their obesity rates skyrocket past that of whites.
>>
>>35337592
55 kg's at 5'11, and she didn't have her period anymore because she weighed too little.

I called it almost anorexic because she managed to turn it around which is what most anorexic people can't do
>>
>>35337619
sounds like this person has some issues they need to talk out with a professional, and begin a healthy lifestyle that is centered around team sports as a form of social interaction
>>
>>35337675
>sounds like this person has some issues they need to talk out with a professional
She has, the rest of your post, yeah probably
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.