[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How tall am I, /fit/? Fit related: 5x5 or 3x5 on compounds?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
How tall am I, /fit/?

Fit related: 5x5 or 3x5 on compounds?
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2661x3547) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2661x3547
Because I can flip
>>
Well they both have their positives. 3x5 is pretty much perfect for progression. 5x5 gives you more volume(obviously) but is harder to progress on. BUT if you consider the 4th and 5th sets as accessory work you're fine. You can either not count the last two sets as necessary for progression or just drop the weight. For example, if you get 5x5x5x4x4, then you should increase the weight even though you didn't hit your 5x5. Doing this means you won't limit your progression. Still 5x5 probably isn't the most effective use of your time and energy. Doing 3x5 followed by related exercises is generally a better idea.
>>
File: 1460309587559.jpg (59 KB, 504x489) Image search: [Google]
1460309587559.jpg
59 KB, 504x489
>we wuz fit and shiet

Ooga booga go back to Africa spear checker, niggers can ride my dick.
>>
>>37515939
Thank you for a well-written response. What I've been doing is 5x5 on compounds. The first two sets I do 30% of working weight. The next three sets I do my working weight. I heard this method allows for both hypertrophy and strength gains. So far, this is working for me. Will I stall faster on this instead of doing 3x5? 5x5 squats are a pain.
>>
>>37515960
No that won't hurt your progress because 30% is really light, you're essentially doing 3x5.

Are you sure you mean 30%? Your warmups should be heavier than that.
>>
>>37515974
Yes, I do 30%. That's too light? How heavy, or what % should my warmups be?
>>
>>37515980

Warmups vary according to individual preference, but for 3x5 you'd generally see something like bar/50%/75%/90%/working sets.

There's a lot of variability though.
>>
>>37515898
Can someone explain why 3x10 is bad for compound lifts? I do 3x10 for most of my exercises.
>>
>>37515992

Its not bad, its just overrated.

If you want maximum fibre usage, you've got three options: Lift heavy (5RM weights or higher, roughly), lift explosively or lift near failure. All of these approaches and mixes have upsides and downsides

Doing 3x10 means you end up with a lot of reps that contribute to fatiguing you but not that much to growth because most of the set is pretty damn easy. Hence the popularity of stuff like rest-pausing where you get the same number of hard reps on an exercise but cut down on the boring easy reps.
>>
>>37515989
>>37515980
Something like that guy said. You start with more reps and go down
8x50%
5x70%
3x90%

And it's just a starting point, all you're trying to do is make sure you're comfortable and fully ready to move the weight.
>>
>>37515960
Do you mean backoff sets?

They're usually done after work sets and are around 70%, not 30%.
>>
>>37516010
>>37515989
Would that conflict with my light days? (Light days go like: A1, B1, x, A2, B2, Legs, x.

A, B1: normal working weight
A, B2: light weight.)

Hope that makes sense. Light days I do 35% of working weight for 3-4x8.

Or would I be better off with continuing 30% for warm ups.
>>
>>37516031
No, as warmup sets.
>>
>>37516007
Would you suggest switching to 5x5 for compounds? I do the major compound lifts twice a week. Could one day of 3x10 and one day of 5x5 work? Not OP, but also stuck on my bench (75kg). Squats are probably my worst though (85kg). I'm 181 cm at 71 kg. Started eating more last week.
>>
>>37516078

You can certainly do that. I know a lot of twice a week routines use a higher rep and lower rep day. Its not necessary but it can definitely be useful.
>>
>>37516134
Thanks!
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.