[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ask a guy who works here anything
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 231
Thread images: 13
File: home-depot.jpg (259 KB, 550x368) Image search: [Google]
home-depot.jpg
259 KB, 550x368
Haven't done this in some months. Got questions? Want to bitch about something stupid (I'll probably mock you because you think the kid making tenbux an hour is supposed to know how to build a windmill and rage that the bigbox corporate retail associate can't assist you in your esoteric question)? Work at menards or lowes or whatever and want to commiserate?

I've worked in a few departments now - paint, services, etc. and know most of the store at this point.
>>
Is it depressing? Do you enjoy getting to help people?
>>
>>935541
nah, i kinda like it. it's not a stressful job, has adequate benefits, is an absurdly easy commute and yea, i do like helping people.
>>
Also used to work there. Job was pretty decent. Liked co-workers. Hated management. Left because they couldn't pay me enough to stay.

Now thanks to their shit corporate hours they lost like all of their part time workers who actually gave a damn. All because they didn't want to pay for their healthcare.

I worked in flooring mainly but pretty much just went to where I wanted to work that day.
>>
>>935540
>(I'll probably mock you because you think the kid making tenbux an hour is supposed to know how to build a windmill and rage that the bigbox corporate retail associate can't assist you in your esoteric question)

This is why I go to my local Ace, because they employ knowledgeable people, not a bunch of people like OP
>>
>>935550
My local Ace is attached to a grocery store and they share the staff. The staff is 80% high schoolers under 18.
>>
>>935550
Unless you're asking me a plumbing or electrical question, i can probably answer it. I'm one of maybe a dozen people in my store that I'd trust farther than I can throw to have the right answer on any question that isn't a technical plumbing or electrical one.

Also i haven't been at 10/hr since... 3? jobs ago. I dunno sometime last decade when i worked elsewhere.
>>
>>935540
Fuck off
>>
>>935560
no
>>
>>935540
What is this the 5th time youve made this thread now?
What do you honestly expect out of these threads?
>>
>>935585
I assume attention.
>>
>>935540
How long does it take to get hired here? I applied a month ago and my applications are still pending.
>>
>>935646
Oh and I applied to all three stores in the area.
>>
>>935540
Do employees get a discount there? If so, what kind, or how much?
>>
>>935646
depends on if they're hiring. spring is coming up, which is the busy season, so if they aren't now, they soon will be. took me a few weeks.

>>935672
no. we get discounts elsewhere, like on our cell phone bill and mostly useless stuff you see on sites like slickdeals and fatwallet
>>
>>935706
Tells us about how accidents are handled? What actions does management take if an associated was to get hurt on the job.
>>
>>935717
Hm, gotta remember the ones I've seen.. One guy tore his acl dancing at a company party. iirc they paid as if it happened on the clock and he was doing well. I think he got terminated after coming back for lifting something he shouldn't have. I think that happened to someone else, too. They had filed a comp claim for a back injury, then were caught on camera lifting some tiles or some shit.

One guy cut himself assembling a grill, had to go to this doctor/emergency care place that was nearby for some stitches. Another busted the back of his hand pretty bad, pulling a piece of equipment right into the side of a shelf. Both of them are still on the job because they did what management wanted, and didn't do stuff with their injured hands right after the accident.

In almost every case, they'll take a piss test, but I haven't seen anyone handle it inappropriately. In all cases, they got the person to the docs asap if medical attention was needed.
>>
>>935717
At menards if you caused more than $200 damage you were sent to get drug tested and a flat rate of $200 was taken out of your check cause muh insurance deductible. Assuming you passed the test. You either had your forklift license taken for a period of time. Or were transferred to another dept.

We had a guy who dumped one of those precut wooden playground crates on a lady. She ended up paralyzed. He kept his job. And if its real bad OSHA gets called and you get to see your GM sweat bullets
>>
>>935722
>and a flat rate of $200 was taken out of your check

Wow, John Menard being a sleazy fucking cunt and breaking the law. What a surprise.
>>
I have worked for the depot and blowes. I got treated shitty at both of them. one was expanding into a new country and paying so much per hour that eventually they had to fire people for "without cause". I hurt my back at the other one and I got told " Oh that's a pre-existing injury" and screwed over. I support the mom and pop places when I can, but more are closing every day.
>>
>>935782
What you expect from a guy who gets caught by the EPA trying to dispose arsenic laden wood ash in his household trash.
>>
I want to put some carpet in the garage, need like 4'x10'.

Lowe's has leftover carpet remnants they sell at a reduced price, like $40. Does Home Depot do this? Are these prices negotiable?
>>
>>935947
Yes they do. At least the ones by me.

They're sort of negotiable. Every person at Home Depot can take up to $50 off your transaction. So you might be able to get them down a few bucks. Depends on the person. Also they all come in 12 foot widths.

Protip: Don't do it on the weekend or a Monday morning or you'll just piss them off since it's the busy days. Also look for something that's dented and looks like it has been there for a while.

This won't work if you live in an area with a bunch of shitty rentals because slum lords love to go and buy the remnants to put in the rentals.
>>
>>936085
Some of these carpets are odd ball, like 9'x7', not sure they are special orders or what the deal is but good to know there is wiggle room.

They are all marked down in price with a marker, haven't paid close enough attention to notice whether that stuff moves or not.

Lady wants carpet in front of the washer and dryer in the garage.
>>
>>936100
>Lady wants carpet in front of the washer
sounds like a recipe for disaster
>>935782
yarly makes me glad i've never been into a menards in my life. what a bullshit thing to do. i hope that class-action lawsuit hit them hard.
>>
>>936100
Sometimes there is damage to the roll at the end for in-store carpet.

Sometimes people cancel special orders which can be any size. If you ever do a big carpet job, ask the people in flooring if they have any special order returns or cancellations. Same goes for any type of flooring.

Then talk to the specialty sales manager and ask what he can do on the price if you take it all. If they haven't wasted all their markdowns, sometimes they'll give you a great deal to free up space.

Same with blinds. I was able to get some custom order blinds that someone returned for pennies on the dollar. Good luck finding something that will fit your windows though.
>>
Can someone please explain to me why Lowes stopped selling Klein brand tools and only sell Southwire now?
>>
>>936125
Either Klein pulled their argreement or Lowes did.

Some stores have exclusivity agreements. I will let you sell my product but you can't sell our competitor's.
>>
>>936125
They have continually gotten rid of better brands for Kobalt branded stuff.
I was looking for an Estwing hammer there (which they used to have) and they are all just Kobalts at the same price point.

Estwings have went up in price in every other store.

My guess is instead of raising prices, they switch to something cheaper (like contracting out a chinese comapny to make a Kobalt branded hammer that looks like an estwing) to get a buffer in their profit margins.

I too saw that Southwire was at my lowes, there isnt much to read about them online. Id bet they are just the same parent manufacturer as their kobalt contracted stuff, just under a new name instead of Kobalt to give the illusion they arent a house brand
>>
>>935540
You have 0 skills. This is not diy. You work at walmart -food +lumber.
>>
Why the fuck did you guys get rid of the 5% off with the credit card? It really pissed off a lot of your customers.
>>
File: fc,550x550,white.u3.jpg (31 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
fc,550x550,white.u3.jpg
31 KB, 550x550
>>936164
ok
>>
>>936187
Corporate thought it was worth the trade-off. Not every store honored it anyway, so they went with 'all'
>>
>>936187
I wasn't imagining that? I was finally going to buckle and get a home despot card when I got my new house, and then they didn't really offer me shit for it. Some cash back and a one time bonus. I get similar cash back and MUCH better warranties with my amex... so no thanks.
>>
File: 2015-08-26 23.07.38.jpg (1 MB, 1885x1060) Image search: [Google]
2015-08-26 23.07.38.jpg
1 MB, 1885x1060
>>936164
...and you try to put people down on /b/

Not OP.. I respect OP for working.. and nope I don't want to hear how you are a brain surgeon and make a lot of money because whatever you do or don't, you're obviously not happy.

And OP, I hope you're one of those people who knows where the thing I need is, or if not, get one of your co-workers to help... no prob- can't expect to know where everything is.
>>
>>936206
.... or not /b/

Just thought from that reply that I was on a random cesspool.
>>
I work at HD as well. It's ridiculous how much trust customers have in the knowledge level of a stupid retail employee. Surprisingly few actual DIY people at my location, but it's in a richy part of town.

>>936187
Word is that it was just too costly at the corporate level with all the other discounts they already match.
>>
>>936204
Not gonna lie, the amex/chase sapphire card is a loooot better then the HD card. much better rewards/points.

>>936206
Yea, I pay attention to where things are, so I can tell you to usually which side of the correct aisle things are. Or I look it up. Or I ask. I actually like being good at whatever job I'm doing, even if it's some silly retail job that most people with common sense can do
>>
>>936213
>>936204
My impression as an employee is that it's only worth getting the HD credit card if you're going to buy a shit-ton of merchandise during a promotion that they're offering 10% off, or long-term special financing.

They push the card sales because their statistics show that people who have them spend twice as much as customers who don't.

Just call any store and ask if there are promotions running. They'll make damn sure you know about it if there is one.
>>
>>936215
Pretty much this
>>
>>936212
anyone at your store get in trouble for giving out tremendously wrong information?
>>
>>935540
Do you know where everything is located in your store? Amazes me when i ask someone in paint for something and they take me completely across the store for something. Do you train for this? If so, how?
>>
>>936464
Not to hard to learn where a couple hundred items are when you're there 39.5 hours/week
>>
I love when people call upset they have to lay for code updates on a hot water heater install.
>>
>>936450
I suppose it's possible to get in trouble if you attempt to cite building codes or something like that, but nobody at my store is that stupid. Also: we have a line we can direct dial a team of greybeards to answer esoteric questions if we really need to.

>>936464
Thanks to the warehouse in-store model, every employee gets asked where things are 100 times a day. You get a working knowledge of the layout pretty quickly. Nobody trains for it specifically, but the people who come closest are the ones who do deliveries and handle the buy online in-store orders. They have to walk the store and pick shit off the shelves at random locations all day. Either those guys or the MET team people (who physically put the stuff where it belongs all day) know where to find almost anything.
>>
I'm waiting for that lockfag who comes into every thread and tells everyone how he saved some couple from buying a certain lockset which would have resulted in the raping of their entire family.
>>
>>936625
tbf, a lot of the locks they sell are massive piles of shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU9MB5XPsp4&t=0m14s
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Master-Lock-1-9-16-in-Laminated-Steel-Padlock-with-1-1-2-in-Shackle-3KADLFHC/203286632
>>
>>936653
Why must this discussion always be had. Give me some time with any lock and I can get it open.

Locks prevent casual crime.
>>
>>936655
I guess because you brought it up?

In any case, it's the total lack of any kind of response from the manufacturer or store that makes this so comical. When tech companies sell security that isn't, it ends with a widely-publicised recall, and the product gets patched, fixed, or withdrawn from sale.

When it becomes public that you can open "high security" locks by hitting them with a stone, there's no reaction whatsoever. Master keeps making them, and home depot keeps selling them.

This is troubling, because one of the roles a consumer-facing shop is supposed to be doing is selecting products that are *good*. The expectation of the consumer is that the products that have the honour of being on the shelves are ones that have been selected by someone who knows more than he does, because they do what they say they'll do and are worth buying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksLAHRWE9DQ
>>
>>936658
I take it you're the lockfag >>936625 referred to.

Locks are to keep someone from easily entering an area. A lock is not, has never been, and will never be secure. It's whole purpose is to keep someone from accidentally entering an area and to make it not worth the time to enter for a criminal.

I can cut through ANY pad lock on he market with an angle grander.

>because one of the roles a consumer-facing shop is supposed to be doing is selecting products that are *good*

Maybe in dream land. The only role of a shop is to drive sales. As a Home Depot shareholder, I care more about a high profit margin item being on the shelf. Should they sell good items too? Yes, but people don't care about quality, they care about price. I could buy a $3000 padlock that will resist conventional attacks, but I'd rather use my money on other things and buy the $10 one that will keep my lawnmower more than safe enough.
>>
>>936210
Ok. Well, you just keep reading. Shortly you'll see the op is a pretentious attention whore, with a shitty attitude. Much like every guy over 25 working at home depot. Then you'll feel like a dope for sticking up for him. Just wait for it.
>>
>>936701
A lot of the guys working at Home Depot are retired contractors. Also they used to actually pay really well back in the early 2000's and prior.

I do some handyman work for a lady who used to work as an interior designer for them (when they offered that like 15 years ago) and now works in flooring. She makes over $30/hr which is retarded good money for retail.
>>
>>936464
>>936466
there are ~30,000 SKUs in most HD stores. Yea, I know where most stuff is located. I've got decent spatial memory, so when I see something/pick it up, I'll remember where I got it from last time. Took me about 4-5 months to get most of the place down pat.
>>
>>936680
Locks do prevent casual crime. I would argue that masterlock is getting just a bit too shitty to prevent even casual crime. You can shove almost anything in the keyways and get it open. You can tap the sides and it pops open. You can shim them and they pop open. They are a joke, and it doesn't matter if you pay them $50 for their 'max security' lock, it's still a piece of shit.

For $50 you could buy many different brands of locks that would be just fine. They still might be pickable eventually, given 5 or 10 minutes or whatever. But it's not like a masterlock where you look at it wrong and it pops open.
>>
File: Get_a_load.jpg (44 KB, 776x602) Image search: [Google]
Get_a_load.jpg
44 KB, 776x602
>>936774
>You can tap the sides and it pops open
>you look at it wrong and it pops open.

>these are things that actually happen in real life
>>
>>936774
some locks are sold with insurance. such that if say your bicycle lock is popped or cut, the lock company pays to replace your bike up to 5000$ or so. in this case, the lock is guaranteed and this provides the security that you need. just like how credit cards arnt secure and easily sniffed. but the legal implications of the credit card company promising your money back anyway if this happens is the real security in the system.
>>
>>936794
in fairness, theres a video in this very thread that shows a masterlock being opened by tapping the sides
>>
File: the-matrix21.jpg (309 KB, 1432x590) Image search: [Google]
the-matrix21.jpg
309 KB, 1432x590
>>935540
>This is the hundredth time we have created this thread, and we have become exceedingly efficient at it.
>>
>>936794
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIq9khF-axs Ziptie
>>
>>936794
https://youtu.be/tw6rwiEQS2w?t=42s glasses
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkWi_veHGgA bobby pin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSIjOcrFank opens with the key only half way in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNdw-aDJlEs ps vita box.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksLAHRWE9DQ cat food can lid.

As mentioned earlier, there's no reason to pick one at all, all you need to do is hit the sides with a hammer, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU9MB5XPsp4

and it doesn't fucking matter with masterlock. You can spend $50+ dolalrs on a fucking lock from them and it will still not be secure at all. They even go to great lengths to reduce the security of long standing designs, as they have done to several American Lock designs since they bought them.
>>
MET here.
Stop being so damn territorial.
If you undo our shit, we'll just redo it again and then the DEM will be breathing down the store manager's neck if that shit keeps up.

Also, we are separate from Beam Team.
Those incompetent fucks just suck.
>>
>>936680
>The only role of a shop is to drive sales. As a Home Depot shareholder, I care more about a high profit margin item being on the shelf. Should they sell good items too? Yes, but people don't care about quality, they care about price.
The thing here is that there are better products that are also cheaper. A store acting in good-faith would sell those instead of products that are clearly defective.

Instead of a cooperative relationship, where the store offers its superior product knowledge and I pay store-prices to take advantage of it, and we both profit, Home Depot is intentionally offering a worse product at a higher price, using its greater product knowledge to try to trick me.

This is not sustainable in the long-run, because the shop acquires a reputation like Home Depot or Radio Shack.
>>
>>935540
ive learnt not to ask questions but to get the catalog online and pick what I want first. maybe ask salespeople where they've hidden products. ive had to wait in line at a hardware store for half an hour while the manager runs around trying to find out how to scan a scratched barcode despite telling them repeatedly to just type in the numbers. holy fuck, not the sharpest tools in the shed.

and I always select my own lumber. faggots just dont even dispose of reject lumber. like structural pine with knots the width of the board. uhhh that shit will not work as a joist.

basically I hate you and your kind. learn your job. I never ever quote lengths in mm either. I enjoy the faggots rolling their eyes at me as they struggle to work in base10 converting cm to mm.
>>
>>936877
>learn your job
uh.... i have, but thanks bruh. i don't work in lumber, i type in a scratched barcode number and i know how to knock off a zero or add one on.

ps what the fuck are you rambling about with millimeters. nothing we have in the store that i can think of has a mm measurement other than cabinet pulls which are notated on the packet anyway.
>>
>>936765
Yeah, but there aren't 30000 random locations you need to memorize. All the tile is in the same few bays even though there are probably 100+ unique stock items. I worked at lowes, and yeah, within the first 6 months I could tell you where everything was.
>>
>>936862
>because the shop acquires a reputation like Home Depot

Massively successful?

>>936877
>despite telling them repeatedly to just type in the numbers

Just type in 123-456

Sir, that comes up as the $200 cheaper version of the drill you are trying to buy. All retail employees are trained not to do this shit because of scammers.

>faggots just dont even dispose of reject lumber.

Why would they if some soccer mom is going to come buy it?

Handymen can did, and real contractors just go to the lumber yard.
>>
>>935722
>a flat rate of $200 was taken out of your check
>>936107
>yarly makes me glad i've never been into a menards in my life. what a bullshit thing to do. i hope that class-action lawsuit hit them hard.

This is why I will never walk into a Menards ever again.
>>
>>937031
But Menards is the best of the big box hardware stores
>>
>>937037
If you want to buy dog food and a bag of salt water taffy.

Menards is nice for getting HD to meet and beat for %10 off.
>>
>>936844
HD outsider here. I know met is merchandising extra team or a similar acronym. What's beam team?
>>
>>936970
every HD i've been to has a reject cull cart at 70% off. every week, the completely fucked lumber is on there. anything that cracked, is too waney, or is too warped or twisted goes on there. the lumber guys manage to go through pretty much every type of lumber at least once a month to pull out the worst ones.

So they do, just... not until it's been picked over by 20 different contractors, so if you're not one of the first 5 you're SOL.
>>
>>937157
Never heard that term either
>>
>>937157
>>937226
Employee here:
MET stands for Merchandising Execution Team

BEAM isn't a company acronym. It's probably some misappropriated term for the Back End team, which is officially BEAR (back end automation and re-engineering).
>>
>>937157
>>937226

MET is employed by HD to setup displays, make things look pretty, and put the highest bidder's products in the best spots.

Beam team is a contractor that does back breaking labor overnight to make the store look entirely different and is largely ex-cons.

http://www.thebeamteam.com/
>>
What's the deal with the pro parking and will I get in trouble for sitting there for five minutes? I regularly get those five gallon jugs of water and it's annoying to carry 100 pound of water across the parking lot.
>>
>>937525
No one gives a single fuck, you could park there all day and no one would notice or say anything.
>>
>>937525
It's a feel good tactic for their "pro" customers. I'M SPENDING LOTS OF MONEY! I DESERVE A BETTER PARKING SPOT!

Plus it was to try and get people not to park in the loading zone while they shopped for 3 hours.
>>
>>937573
>>937553
I figured, but I'd rather not get my shit towed if that wasn't the case.
>>
>Implying
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6NqKWucE_E
>>
>>936862
There's not a dichotomy between cheap high margin shit products and more expensive low margin high quality items in retail.

There's plenty of cheap and solid quality things that can be a good buy. In new Zealand we have a brand of power tool Ozito, and it's right at the bottom of the heap price wise. But if you look at their oscillating tool it has a full metal gearbox, and a much better warranty than the Bosch oscillating tool, which is over twice the price, has plastic moving parts, and fits fewer attachments.

When people came into my store looking for an oscillating tool I recommended Ozito every time because it's better. Not just because there's sweet margin on it, the margin is the business of the store's buyers and the deals they make with suppliers.
>>
>>936877
Jesus I know your kind so well. You can't help but tell me that this timber right here is shit. Not this piece, the entire brand new pack that I've just opened that day is no good by your standards. No you don't want to pay for the premium decking, no you want to buy the merch decking, and there better not be any knots in it either. And you'll be taking select lengths, apparently I'm cutting them all for you because your can't just fucking dock them with your skilsaw once they are down.

I'm not throwing out a 6m length of 290x45 because there's a dirty great big knot half way down, someone is coming along who wants a 2.7m length of it. Holy shit you are the worst customer, not because of your temper, but because you fail to consider that anyone else might see a bigger picture. You write these little narratives in your own head and they colour your entire perspective. God you are unpleasant.
>>
>>936123
I ended up getting a 12x4 roll for $20. It was marked down from $84 to $40 and I just asked the flooring girl who got me a manager.

Only issue was the cashier trying to ring it up for $20 a linear foot and her manager trying to find more info about the "rug".
>>
>>937726
probably a prompt on the register. someone probably notated it incorrectly so that it would ask by the foot instead of just for the product
>>
>>935553
Same here, the only reason I ever go there is to buy Chuckles
>>
>>935553
>>937814
Thats too bad.
I can find a locally owned Ace or True Value in many towns near me. I can only think of 2-3 actual awesome ones though.

The Ace I go to has old stock stuff from the 70s-80s, if you dig back you can find stuff that is actually priced cheaper than the new stuff.
Hell I bought some USA made craftsman sockets there a few weeks ago.

Two old as fuck ladies, and 3-4 50+ year old men are always there.
Part of the family or they are long time workers.

Maybe not experts, but they are very knowledgeable.
And since Ace doesnt sell wood, I buy wood from a 100 year old family owned lumber yard where the people are fucking awesome.

Maybe you guys live in urban areas, or havent looked hard enough
>>
>>937810
That isn't incorrect. Carpet is sold by the foot, not the roll.
>>
>>937830
>Maybe you guys live in urban areas, or havent looked hard enough

Nope, town of ~8000 in the midwest.The Ace is relatively new, attached to the grocery store.

We have a Hardware Hank, which is decent. Couple old timers who know fuckall, and one guy in his early 30's who is pretty knowledgeable.

We have a sears that employs appliance and lawnmower salesmen.

Then we have a Fastnal, the guys there know their stuff when it comes to hardware, but the store is tiny and Fastnal prices are absolute shit if you're not a volume customer.

Then there are two farm supply houses, one of which is full of employees who know their shit, about farm related tasks.
>>
>>937863
negative, anon. not every piece of carpet is sold by the foot. especially remnants.
>>
OP: I have a DIY platform bed project, but i have several questions. Would Home Depot be a good place to get advice/purchase wood? Would a local lumber yard be better?
>>
>>935782

I lived in the town Menard's was HQ'd out of for a while . I never worked there but I've had friends and family who did tell me horror stories.
>>
>>935540
Do you guys sell heat resistent cement for use in, say, forges or firepits?
>>
>>938179
Use refractory cement/mortar. Yes. use firebrick if you're using brick, regular brick can spall at high heat (well over food cooking temp though).
>>
>>937977
about 10% of the construction lumber and 50% of the nicer lumber is usable for furniture. whether you'll get good advice depends on your home depot.
local lumber yards are local. so if mostly used by construction contractors, no idea about furniture building. are you doing slats or a backboard to support the mattress?
>>
Not going to contribute to this circle jerk but for any trades/institutional fags out there that use Interline, they were just purchased by Home Depot and the transition is apparently complete.

So, everything you buy at Home Depot can now be delivered by Interline in addition to any of their companies wilmar, hardware express, copperfied, supply works (amsan), leran, barnett, etc. If you have an account with any of these companies, you have an account with Interline and can have shit delivered from Home Depot.

No more trips for wood, no more trips for drywall, no more dealing with self-absorbed faggots like OP. All delivered.

2016 is off to a great start.
>>
>>937976

All carpet at HD is sold by the square foot.

>>937977
Go to a lumber yard specializing in hardwoods.
>>
>>938473
wrong. for one, runners are sold by the linear foot. secondly, for our purposes of this odd carpet that anon was buying, the register prompt does not have a sq foot measure. it has a linear foot measure prompt.

>>937977
yes, if you want certain kinds of wood. if you want a particular specialty wood (most HDs don't carry anything fancier than say, poplar), find a specialty place.

>>938414
>ohnoes, you're going to go from one retail employee to another. my heart is broken.
>>
Gonna start working at Lowe's with my pop soon.
Any tips?
I'll be in building materials as a seasonal employee but I wanna play my cards right and become full-time or at least part-time
>>
>>938485
You're the first one to bring up a fucking square foot m8
Stop backpedaling, you're wrong.
>>
>>938509
Don't start "i work here ask me stuff" threads on 4chan. Everyone will think you're a total faggot.
>>
>>935540
why do you all ask me if I need help. I make way more than 10$ an hour building windmills and I know what the fuck I need. fuck off back to stocking.
>>
>>938485
>wrong.

Correct. Former DH of D23. Carpet at HD is always sold by the square foot. Runners and rugs are not carpet as they are bound.

>>938509
Working with your dad in a retail environment is going to be terrible. You're going to watch your adult father be abused by customers and management.

>>938791
All retail environments require employees to ask people if they need help. Quit being a whiny little bitch.
>>
>>938790
>starting any form of AMA thread on a mongolian ice fishing column
Come on now

>>938801
Money's money, besides I'll be in building materials while he's cashiering
>>
>>938743
I'm not, actually. >>938473 is

>>938801
except for this weird remnant that an anon was buying. which was being sold as a whole. no wonder you were a supervisor, you jump into a conversation with half-assed canned responses.

>>938791
because that's what our bosses want us to do. we, as humans, prefer to be on our bosses good side, as i'm sure do you. suck it up, buttercup
>>
>>938839
>except for this weird remnant that an anon was buying.

He said the cashier was trying to ring it up by the linear foot and that it was an issue. Meaning they were doing it wrong.

The only time we ever rang up up remnants by a different sku was when they were special order returns and then we just used the discount sku. Which is just a generic sku that has no description or price. The cashier manually types them in.

No wonder you never got the promotion to DH, stick to paint.
>>
>>938485

>>ohnoes, you're going to go from one retail employee to another. my heart is broken.

Chill out, fuckboy. This is great news for people that use Interline. They never delivered lumber, drywall, etc. Now they do. That's one less trip and more productivity.

Now go back to answering questions to vindicate your belief that you're a productive member of society.
>>
>>938847
>The only time we ever rang up up remnants by a different sku was when they were special order returns and then we just used the discount sku. Which is just a generic sku that has no description or price. The cashier manually types them in.

that's exactly what is supposed to happen. but didn't. which is why i commented. it should have had either a non-stock generic sku or have been given a markdown sticker when special services returned it. thanks for chiming in tho.

>>938961
awwww, ya don't say. you mean my store still gets credited with the sales in the area, but i don't have to deal with some of the most annoying, fussy, demanding, whining customers possible? believe me, i ain't mad you won't be coming in.
>>
>>938978

I don't think the store in the area gets the credit, otherwise what point would Interline have in existing?

I do have a question: what's it like making shit for money? I know you've said that you don't need much money because you live a shitty, low cost existence and drive a bike but it's worth it because it's easy work or some other bullshit excuse. But, really, why are you content with the 15% tax bracket? Why not get an actual job? My trade, and many others, isn't hard. I make 3 times what you do (I presume you make no more than $15 an hour and maybe hit 40 a week) and I have far better benefits than what you've described. Hell, get into the commercial construction area of your chosen trade and you never have to deal with customers - just your boss(es).
>>
>>938978
>you mean my store still gets credited with the sales in the area

You're confusing online sales with Interline. HD will get more money, your store will get lower sales. So your success sharing check will be even smaller.

>>938978
>that's exactly what is supposed to happen

Except it's not. Remnants always use the regular sku and are discounted. I would be willing to bet you a week's wage (your of course) that he did not buy a special order return. Even special order carpets (which will almost never be remnant size) are supposed to use their correct sku. We just liked to just delete the inventory from the system so the manager can get a bigger check since we don't have to take the hit for the markdown.

It is cute that you think special services would bother to give a special order product a markdown sticker instead of just wheeling it to the department and abandoning it with no notes.

>>939031
He's just complacent in life. I made $21/hr as a DH and I only got that because for previous experience. I quit because of the amount of bullshit you have to swallow. Now I made double that at a job where I to take bullshit from 1 person and he's a pretty good guy.

I guess if he's cool with making under 12$/hr. That's fine for him though.
>>
>>939043

>I guess if he's cool with making under 12$/hr. That's fine for him though.

IIRC, he makes above that but not by much. Still, greener pastures and all that for much less bullshit.

He likes to gloat about what he knows and what he can do at Home Depot (laff) so why not use those "skills" and make $75-80k a year with plush benefits? If he's fine with a simple lifestyle, great, but why not put away all that extra money towards retirement (something he's also bragged about doing with his money) so that he can live and not work?

Fuck, drop it into a MMA or 1-2-3-5-10 year bonds. I mean, you can save for retirement outside of a 401K, Roth, etc. in order to bridge the gap between when you retire and 59 1/2.

The real story is that this kid can't get an actual job making money because his only experience is in retail.
>>
>>939031
>I don't think the store in the area gets the credit, otherwise what point would Interline have in existing?

Generally when we have pro sales of that kind of nature, they break them up geographically. If it's fulfilled out of a store or CC then it gets to that store.

>pro cust x orders through interline from the west end of Pittsburgh. Interline now needs 40 10 ft 2x4s, which they (i'm assuming) do not carry in their own warehousing system. they put in the order to the local HD (google tells me that's store # 4117). They get the lumber from that store and deliver it to cust, store gets that sale.

or

>pro cust x orders from same spot, but interline only gets it from the local warehouse. sale is split among stores in that district or they give credit to whichever store is closest to the cust

i'll get back to your other question later

>>939043
>your store will get lower sales. So your success sharing check will be even smaller.

should they find that interline and their subsidiaries eat into sales that they aren't crediting to the store, IE they're doing it different than the way I've described, then they lower sales plan. i've seen stores get sales plans reduced when lowes opened up nearby, so i can't imagine they wouldn't adjust for them eating their own.

that said, i haven't seen any loss of sales, nor do i really imagine more than a few customers per store utilizing this. YMMV depending on where you're located, but i don't see this hurting the stores in the slightest.

>>939031
>>939049
to the 2nd part, i rather like my job and my low-key existence. not that i wouldn't mind more money, but i have enough to save away as well as live comfortably and stress free. that said, lol at all the armchair psychology. you remind me of people who see a game on tv and state "that guy was psyched out" because his team didn't win. it's lovely that you know me and like to interpret statements as "brags".
>>
>>939049
also lol at $12/hr, "kid", or "can't get". Hard to "can't" anything when you haven't ever bothered to apply for one of those jobs.

>>939031
>My trade, and many others, isn't hard. I make 3 times what you do (I presume you make no more than $15 an hour and maybe hit 40 a week) and I have far better benefits than what you've described. Hell, get into the commercial construction area of your chosen trade and you never have to deal with customers - just your boss(es).
Well then, are you hiring?

Also, >>939043
the store i work at doesn't do carpeting by the foot except as a special order, so that is exactly how it would work. and yes, special services gets prompted by the computer for either an RTV or a markdown sticker - they can't finish doing the return without printing it up. if it's returned to vendor, it wouldn't be on the floor. if it's markdown, there you have it.
>>
>>935550
>someone fully knowledgeable and capable to build a functioning windmill(assuming wind turbine because this board uses them interchangeably) is working at a small time hardware store
How's that recession recovery going?
>>
>>939356
>also lol at $12/hr,

How much do you make? How long have you worked at HD?
>>
>>939356

Yeah we're hiring but I promise you don't have the experience or knowledge. Shit ain't entry level.

Back to ringing up customers.
>>
>>939517
lmao
>"bro do what i do, it isn't hard"
>"ok, lets do it"
>"nah, it's super technical blah blah"

suuuuuuuuuuuuuure.

>implying i'm a cashier, either

>>939370
a fair change more than that. i'm a bit of an oldfag who had retail management experience, so i got hired at a higher pay rate. 3 years.
>>
>>939529

Isn't hard in terms of labor.
>>
>>939541
Well it certainly can't be hard mentally, or someone like you would never get in.
>>
>>939545

Insulting me? That's fine. I'm not the one with an ego to feed, eg. making a thread about my job every 2-3 months.

You can't just waltz in with Home Depot cashier on your resume and expect a job. Don't even bother putting your badge collection - you'll be laughed out of the building. Like I said, experience or knowledge. Some jobs at my company require certifications or licenses. Even the general, low level technicians require equivalent 3 years commercial/industrial experience.

And I don't work at some mom and pop joint. My company is the largest of its kind in the world.
>>
>>939551
If it makes you feel better, I'm not >>939545
>>
>>939529
>i'm a bit of an oldfag who had retail management experience,

So... why aren't you in Home Depot's management training? You are aware that a store manager clears 100k/yr at their worst stores? If you get into one of their high volume stores you can see over 250k.

Hell even some of the assistant managers make over 100k. Not to mention those sexy bonuses.
>>
>>939639
workin on it, but srsly, this isn't a blog about me. that's the one bad thing about these threads - they devolve into bullshit about me and not about the store. Altho this thread did last like 60 comments before that happened, so shrug.
>>
>>939770

Because how much advice or secrets or whatever can their be about Home Depot?

You'd be doing DIY a better service by answering questions as they occur then starting your own jerkfest. Seriously, these are the worst threads that always devolve into people making fun of you for working at Home Depot and talking about it and you trying to defend it.

You work at a place some of us buy materials, hardware, tools. Big fucking deal man. Do you think DIY would rather ask Norm Abrams or Arthur Blank questions?

Please, stop making these threads. Trip up and answer threads as they happen. If you see someone that needs something and you know you've got it in aisle 29, let em know. Otherwise, keep your shit job to yourself.
>>
>>939861
i'd rather not be a shill. or lurk this board as often as that. i'll just continue making these a couple times a year. shit, anon, it's been like 8 or 9 months since I did one last. you'd think that'd hold your butthurt over til then.

hell, make an ama/bitch thread about your profession. dispense wisdom from your lofty perch in your chosen field to anyone who has a question, the way this happens on other boards (ask a personal trainer on /fit/, ask a restaurant chef on /ck/)
>>
>>939873
>ask a personal trainer on /fit/
An expert in their field
>ask a restaurant chef on /ck/
An expert in their field
>ask a HD sales associate on /diy/
An ex... wait.

>>939861 is right. You've offered little to no help or advice in this thread at all.
>>
>>939873

You are a fucking shill. Look at all these people making fun of you.

I'm not making an AMA. I answer questions related to my job as they are asked and as I am on. I don't have an insecurity about myself or my job to make a thread and say "LOOK AT ME EVERYBODY".

The chef and trainer analogies are pointless. You don't offer anything of value. A chef or trainer or carpenter or electrician would. A guy that rings up my purchases or knows where the moth balls are or can cut keys? No. Now fuck off.
>>
>>939879
This. x10
>>
>>939873
Jesus I would be embarrassed by my shit job not broadcasting it to the world.
>>
>>939879
its the same few of you schmucks every time. other posts are actually useful like the menards dudes at >>935722, random questions like >>935672, >>935717, >>936125, >>936187, >>937525 and bitching posts like >>936844

basically, as long as some people post in here for the occasional random question - and this thread is literally guaranteed replies every time - i'll keep doing it. don't like it? don't contribute, and i'll stop bothering. only reason i keep doing it is because it's 100+ replies every time i do it and there's some actual questions/general banter happening in between you sperging about how you don't like me.

>>940052
because an anon on a pakistani loom-weaving board is really broadcasting to the world.

>>939876
>>ask a personal trainer on /fit/
>An expert in their field
lols. you haven't hung out on fit before i take it :D
>>
>>940127

So 5-7 posts out of 127. Good job.

I mean at least personal trainers are hired by people for their knowledge, etc. If a shitty carpenter holds an AMA then even other, good carpenters can chime in and tell him he sucks and why and everyone can learn.

Let's say someone asks him how he crafts stringers in the field and he says oh I use a template for each one and then details a process that any other decent carpenter would say, hey, dipshit, the stringers are going to be all different, albeit slightly, if you're just tracing and cutting. Hey at least everyone learns.

What exactly are you contributing? Arbitrary information from a company? Wow! So valuable!

Notice no one but yourself coming to your defense? If these threads were worth a shit, others would chime in and tell us "schmucks" to knock it off, they value these threads. But we're not seeing that.

Your first thread was fine, I'll give you that. But to keep making them? Ever wonder why more and more people keep telling you to stop every time you make a new one?
>>
>>940127

4 Questions about Home Depot in the entire thread.

I genuinely hope your mother gets raped. Have a nice day.
>>
>>940205
>>940347
just for that, i'll bump this.

also >>936206 already let you know.

seriously, you want this thread and future ones to die? don't reply.
>>
>>935540
Why are all the employees either mentally challenged barbies with long nails or retarded stoners both with no knowledge of tools?
>>
>>936100
Worst place ever for carpet. Tile is the way to go.
>>
>>940461

qualified people would rather boil their heads in oil than work at a soul-killing retail job.
>>
>>940451
It's more fun talking shit to you, while you grasp at straws trying to make yourself feel like some sort of skilled tradesman even though you're just a replaceable shithead who's home depot-ing skills can be learned by anyone in a matter of weeks. Hope you like it while it lasts, because when you start whining for a raise or something they'll can your ass for someone just like you when you started. Now go ahead and retort, I'm looking forward to more laughs.
>>
>>940542

dont see any point in such needless cruelty, but then again i'm sane, not a sociopath, so i'm obviously missing something.
>>
Home depot fag, what is the cost of a full sheet of 3/4" b-c plywood at your store?
>>
>>940754
Actually nix that, 5/8"
>>
>>940758
We don't have 5/8" in BC, just cdx for some reason.
>>
>>936844
Holy shit fuck this. 75% of my time is fixing shit that associates fuck up, and the rest is getting bitched out by my DEM for taking too long because the associates are incompetent or getting bitched at by the associates because I have to undo their bullshit. No, you can't just remove facings and shove another product in, there are two facings for a reason, asshole.

Started off as a part time garden associates about a month ago and switched to MET because they offered me full time, more hours, and better hours. But sweet baby jesus, I hate it. I thought the amount of bullshit I had to put up with as an associate was bad, but MET is way worse. It really made me realize how much I actually enjoyed working in garden.
>>
>>940964
8 months ago*
>>
So to anyone who has worked at a HD
Have you Fucked a coworker?
That was the only reason I stayed working there I was bangin a 9/10 cashier.
>>
>>940878
I suppose cdx would also work, as I plan on finishing the project and using both a dark primer and black paint. So how much?
>>
>>940975
Several. I live in a city with a majority black population and there are constantly new hoodrat cashiers. So me and a few nigbros pass em amongst ourselves until they inevitably get fired for being nigs.
>>
>>935549
Do flooring guys get commission there? Hell, does anyone?

Work at Lumber Liquidators and all my home-owner customers visit Lowes and HD first, but can't ever get help so they buy from me.
>>
>>935540
Alright you fuckbag. Why is it that you guys suck so much dick and bend over and get fucked by your own dicks in the receiving department. I service the equipment that you semen demons destroy and make it impossible to allow people to even go there.
>>
>>941018
Do you guys sell actual lumber or just flooring?
>>
>>941045
Just flooring - the founder sold left overs and scraps out of a barn or something and picked the name because it rhymed. Now it's way to late to change it...
>>
>>940975
Yeah, a hot cougar who was crazy. Found out she was dating a guy that worked there.

One cute Indian girl who did the early morning tag switching. Turns out she was married.

One decent cashier as a rebound fuck when she broke up with another cashier. He quit after.

>>941018
>Do flooring guys get commission there? Hell, does anyone?

No, and no.

>>941054
Lumber Liquidator doesn't rhyme. Also I almost took a job with them. The manager just oozed sleaze...
>>
File: rent-a-swag.gif (981 KB, 500x278) Image search: [Google]
rent-a-swag.gif
981 KB, 500x278
>>940451
Shrug, i've gotten 5 raises in the 3 years i've been working there, so i must be doing something ok. Annual one is coming up soon, too, so that'll make 6. i'm ok with that. But hay, thanks for the projecting, child. And thanks for the bump.

>>940461
Neither HD i've worked at has had this issue. A few long-nailed airheads, but most of the dudes that work there either have an idea what they're doing or work the register.

>>940758
>>940979
At my store, it's $20.77 / each, if you buy 54 or more $19.73 / each

>>940964
You're the first person I've met that liked working in garden.

>>941018
no

>>941036
wat
>>
>>935540
How do you stay in business when your shit is so overpriced?
>>
>>941119
Mexicans
>>
>>935540
Are you a mexican or a jew?
>>
>>941072

>bragging about $0.50 raises

Yeah I remember when those were cool to me. I was like 16 and worked at Subway.
>>
>>941181
>retail
>$0.50 raises

Not likely, more like 15-20 cent raises, if you are on everyones good side.
>>
File: 1395295991888.gif (2 MB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1395295991888.gif
2 MB, 250x250
>>941119
because it isn't
>>941181
only the shitty annual raises were that. the others have been significantly more. thx again for bumpin tho.
>>
File: hippo carriage 1924.jpg (100 KB, 633x491) Image search: [Google]
hippo carriage 1924.jpg
100 KB, 633x491
>>935540
What is the cheapest thing I can buy for my gutters to run water away from my house. I have 9 gutters with straight down terminations. Those stupid plastic accordion things are $9 each. And they are plastic so they are not going to last very long once the winter hits or you mow around them. They are bound to get broken so $9 wouldn't be so bad if they weren't crap.

So if you know of a better permanent solution or a cheaper crappy solution I would appreciate it.
>>
>>941252
>because it isn't

I guess working in a store has skewed your reference of how much every other store charges. Home Depot is the worst for pricing, and the worst for house brand items.
>>
>>935540
Why do you expect me to keep using a Home Depot card if you are no longer giving a 5% discount?
Lowes card still gives a 5% discount.
>>
>>935540
do you know the difference between goof off in the can and the automotive version
>>
>>941642

If your house has 9 gutters then you can fucking afford the $8 accordion extenders.

My basement was flooding. Not much, a small pool. I was devistataed. Had contractors come out and they all agreed a sump pump was needed. $3000 or so average for the costs to do this.

So, while waiting for my tax return to cover this cost, I decided to try to move as much water as possible away from the foundation. There was a corrugated pipe on one corner of the house that went straight into the ground. That side of the house was the one predominantly flooding. Once I had dug it up I discovered that the shit literally went down a foot and that was it. Literally all the water from that part of roof was going into one corner of the house.

I bought one of those diverters (oddly enough in the lumber section) and a few extenders. It's places the water out about 9-10 feet from my house and it's downhill from there.

A month and 3 heavy rains later, not a single drop of water in my basement. I'm going to give it a month before I take the time to add a French drain beyond the exit but still, $20-25 saved me $3000 and I have no doubt my foundation is drying out now that it isn't constantly saturated.
>>
>>941853
Samething happened to a place I lived in WV as your story.

I can afford it but if I'm going to spend a hundred bucks on it I don't want it to be hundred bucks I have to spend every year. A good portion of the ones for sale in the store are messed up. I would spend more if it wasn't a piece of garbage that is going to break as soon as a friend steps on one or the weed trimmer gets near it. The house is small it just has the craziest roof design with a lot of short runs on the gutters. I guess the corrugated pipe is cheaper but it's going to look a little crazy. Maybe when I have time I can bury them. My basement has that problem where you can see the minerals being pulled from the concrete and a little standing water.
>>
>>941642
Buy the black corrugated drain pipe either 3" or 4" buy the downspout adapters. Dig a few 8-12" deep trenches and place the pipes in. Make sure you leave the outflow open so water can drain out. You can cut the outlet to match the profile of the ground. This is of course assuming your yard has some sort of slope around the house

Protip cut the sod in long continuous piece in a way so you can just fold it over and flip it back when you're done
>>
>>941860

I buried mine, temporarily, and had two slate stones cover them. They're about twice the width of the extender so that if anyone walks over them the stones support the wait.

Nevertheless they're meant to be buried and flimsy on purpose. If they were hard plastic they'd break a lot easier. By being flimsy, you can burry and essentially crush them. They'll crush in the middle and still leave two triangle pockets on the side. More than enough room for rain.
>>
>>941642
Just gonna say that >>941853, >>941862 and >>941863 pretty much nailed it already. Yeesh.
>>941647
Shrug. maybe in your area. I've been in lowes a bunch of times and don't really see much price difference. (also hd price matches, so shrug again). All the local hardware stores obviously charge more.
>>941649
Corporate feels you'll come to hd for the customer service and other small amenities (pro rewards now has free gas and some other minor shit) or for the convenience of the store to your job site. Beats me - note that I said corporate, not I. Not every store has honored that 5% anyway (neither store I worked at did), so occasional customers would gripe and say "well i'm going to store blah blah to get my 5%". ok. Nothing we can do about that
>>941660
I've never seen goof off in a car version, and searching for it on the site gives me nothing. So I'll just guess and say they made a small change in the composition of the product to be slightly easier on the type of paints (urethane and acrylic mostly) that go on cars
>>
File: gcautomotive24oz.jpg (25 KB, 218x488) Image search: [Google]
gcautomotive24oz.jpg
25 KB, 218x488
>>941877
it's actually 'Goo Gone" but it looks kinda like the same stuff
>>
>>935540
Do you also want to die? I work at Menard's and I hate myself.
>>
>>941878
Different brand, same stuff for the most part. I maintain previous answer in that I don't know the specific chemical makeup, but it's a pretty safe assumption that there's some small change from their basic formula that's meant to be a bit nicer to those types of pains.
>>
>>941878
its not really the same stuff. their is a lot of things goof off will ruin and googone will not. i discover goofoff ruins a lot more things.
>>
>>935540
Do you sell fire extinguishers?
>>
>>941878
tar on your car?
splash petrol on it.
>>
>>935540
>tenbux an hour
FUCK! 7.25 mustard race. How do I get on your level?
>>
>>943432
stay with your job for another 10 years

also 725 is pretty low for wages

where you live?
>>
>>943432
> be an insufferable douche bag.
> Come on here and start threads looking for attention.
> Literally put something in the op about how you will argue back like a twat if anyone makes fun of your 'career'.
> Masturbate to the thought of your retorts being some kind of clever, also photos of livestock.
> ????????
> tenbux an hour profit
>>
>>935540
How do you feel about HD getting rid of credit discounts in lieu of cents off gals for gas?
>>
>>943237
yes
>>943610
seems pretty stupid, but corporate obviously weighed the likelihood of lost sales vs the savings vs the cost of the gas partnership with whoever they're doing it with and the numbers said it would be worth it.

my store never honored the 5% anyway, so i'd get annoyed contractors on occasion, but i couldn't do shit about it anyway.
>>
File: didyoudoyourinfocus?.jpg (82 KB, 728x546) Image search: [Google]
didyoudoyourinfocus?.jpg
82 KB, 728x546
>>935540
Do you ever look around the store and think up different ways to make IED's? I sure do. You've got your pipes and fittings in plumbing, nails, grinders, magnesium cased power tools in hardware, charcoal, fertilizer, stump remover, rose food in garden, wiring, and resistors (pulled from electronics because we don't sell them) in electrical, and batteries up front or in automotive if your store has this section.
>>
>>936125
Klein pulled their agreement to go exclusive with hd.
>>
>>943680
Thought I was the only weirdo that had these ideas as I pay OP's check for the week!
>>
>>936877
Anyone who works at any of these places knows your kind as well. You're avoided when you're in the store and once you leave they laugh at you behind your back and go about their day.
>>
>>937574
No one will care unless you're in a handicapped spot or parked in the loading zone across the front of the store. They're not reserved, they're just there to make contractors feel good.
>>
>>943680
>resistors
for what igniter?
steel wool
>>
>>943610
>>943633
Word is, Lowe's is about to discontinue 5% off themselves. It's cutting into their profits too.
>>
>>943779
Weak, that's the main selling point of the card. Where did you hear this?
>>
>>943698
Im not sure why anyone would give a shit about what a minimum wage worker thinks about them personally. People wouldnt act this way if you actually put effort into doing the job you were paid to do.
>>
>>936877
>I'm stupid and project it at everyone else.
HVAC Guy pls go.
>Buying lumber at a big box store
>complaining about the quality
>Not knowing retail employees are trained to not hand-enter barcodes because scumfucks like you tear tags off and put them on more expensive items

Sounds like you're the problem, bub. You'd get better service if you weren't a weekend warrior elitist cunt.
>>
>>943878
You're the one who came in whining about the place. Most of the time, these places are staffed with between ten and twenty decent people and the rest are just there for the pay.
>>
>>943937
>being upset that people who pay your salary would complain about someone doing their job poorly
>its OK to do your job poorly if you dont like it!

If people did their job, there wouldnt be any reason to whine.
>>
>>943878
>>943937
>>943941

Job minimum wage workers are paid to do: show up on time, keep the shelves stocked, be on the floor and not slacking off in the back, smile at the customers.
That is it.
Actually being helpful is NOT something that minimum wage workers are paid to do, and at best, will MAYBE mean an extra 5 cent raise in a year.

Meanwhile, working 60 hrs a week on 2 jobs part time to make rent, and KNOWING that you can get another job in 2 weeks if you're let go from this one. Although hey, my home depot just decided to pay as much as walmart or mcdonalds, so maybe more than 60% of the new hires will keep showing up to work after the first two weeks (prevailing theory is that they got a job that pays more from other interview, and don't give a shit about giving notice on a terrible minimum wage job).

>>943941
Also, you're an idiot. Contractors and some customers will whine about not having someone attend to them immediately even when there are 6 people waiting for attention ahead of them, will flip out at the service desk person being in the middle of a phone call with a customer and asking them to wait, will flip out at not getting their 5% discount, will complain they couldn't find the guy in plumbing because management scheduled only one person and they were at the bathroom...
>>
File: 1447624429989.jpg (6 KB, 174x192) Image search: [Google]
1447624429989.jpg
6 KB, 174x192
>>944084
>Actually being helpful is NOT something that minimum wage workers are paid to do
>>
>>944084
I worked in big box retail store for 3 years.
I was not particularly fast at the register nor particularly capable of handling too much bullshit from customers.

However, I was the most helpful guy there, knew where every obscure thing was that even OP wouldn't.

Over the three years, being helpful and nice to customers who were there to buy and not there to complain, I worked my way up to department manager.

Then I got accepted into the college I chose with a scholarship for my degree in chemical engineering.
I could have stayed with the store and ended up making 110k/yr, same as what I would end up making as an engineer, but I didn't want to become an unskilled faggot like OP who has to make pointless threads on 4chan to re-inflate his ego and feel good about his job every 3 months since he can't do anything useful outside of sell wood and carpet.
>>
>>944159

He is obviously a minimum wage pleb that is all salty that he is expected to at least smile if he doesnt know what is going on and direct the customer to someone who has a heartbeat strong enough to help blood vessels deliver the required amount of oxygen to their brain to formulate some thought rather than just sperging and spaghetti their shit all over the place.

>Thanks for the help!
>Y-y-you too.
>>
>>944175

>but I didn't want to become an unskilled faggot like OP who has to make pointless threads on 4chan to re-inflate his ego and feel good about his job every 3 months since he can't do anything useful outside of sell wood and carpet.

Yet you and I are here shitposting away as if it is any fucking different.
>>
>>944181
>missing the point completely on purpose to try and prove yours
>you browse 4chan too, that means we're the same

Lol, 4chan, you never fail to make me chuckle.
>>
>>939366
>Implying building a windmill is hard
>>
>>944185

>implying you are some sort of superior being by having to go out of your way to prove a point to some nameless pleb.

Small man syndrome seems to be a challenging obstacle for you.
>>
>>944084
>on a job, time is money
>show up, no associates to help you in their area
>finally someone shows up and you get your products
>the line is 5 people deep and noone else to check out
>finally you get to the check out and realize the company you started a line of credit with under the promise of a discount suddenly wont honor their end of the bargain.

>these customers are idiots because they should know minimum wage workers arent paid to be helpful or useful.
>they have no right to complain, dont they know that I would never do my actual job for just a 5 cent pay increase!

Maybe you are right, these customers are idiots for giving you their business.
>>
>>944190
>>finally you get to the check out and realize the company you started a line of credit with under the promise of a discount suddenly wont honor their end of the bargain.
>not realizing that they openly and loudly reserved the right to change those terms at any time

Fuck off guy. I bet you're one of those shitbag contractors who will start one job, get a day into it, then leave for two weeks to do another job before maybe coming back and finishing that first one.
>>
>>944188
I didn't go to college just to prove someone on 4chan wrong.

Oh you meant the post.
3 minutes of typing towards a post I found on a board I was browsing anyway is going out of my way?

>implying I was implying I was superior

I never said I would be a good engineer, now did I?

This whole post from OP is him trying to feel superior over other people because
>I work at HD
>I work at /diy/ central

>I'm butthurt on a thread because everyone has called me out on not being related to the board at all, and being full of shit.
>>
>>944194
>>not realizing that they openly and loudly reserved the right to change those terms at any time

Thats great.
And you cant possibly understand the frustration of figuring out they changed their one and only selling point of their credit line while someone is checking out?

You certainly are a great fit for minimum wage, youve got the right attitude for Customer Service!
>>
>>944196
>trying to feel superior over other people

I wholeheartedly disagree.
Its OP trying to justify his decision continuing to work at this place instead of doing better for himself. The inflation of ego the thread gives him makes those feelings of doubt subside for a short while. There is a reason the threads are becoming more frequent.
>>
>>944198
>frustration
Business isn't about feelings. I don't give a fuck about your penny-ante whining. If that pitiful five percent is making or breaking you, then you are terrible at business. If you don't know the proper reaction to such a change for your business's situation, then you're terrible at business. OH NO A SUPPLIER CHANGED THEIR PRICES! THIS NEVER, EVER HAPPENS! WHAT SHALL I EVER DO?!?
>You certainly are a great fit for minimum wage, youve got the right attitude for Customer Service!
>implying I'm the guy who works at Home Depot or am even willing to get out of bed for anything near minimum wage
>>
>>944210
A simple increase in the price of goods is vastly different than having a line of credit out.
Your credit changes all the time from so many different things. Hard inquiries (which were required to get the HD line in the first place) to actually using your cards vs closing them early.
There are real tangible results to a credit score from opening credit, and the way it is used.

If you go through the hard inquiry hit, then the new line hit, and then suddenly you arent getting the promised discount you are stuck. Are you going to take another hit by closing the line? Are you going to have a card you wont use sitting out there making the procurement of other credit lines or emergency small loans harder?

Its literally the monetary side of a small business, not just that a 5% increase is going to make or break you. And its certainly valid enough of a reason to be mad about.
>>
>>944210

Not him

I have lost contracts over 2% difference between myself and my main competitor despite my teams finish and reputation are much better than the competitors.

When the 2% difference is screaming in the tens of thousands of dollars your client can always look at that difference and can envision what they can do with that, it really sways things.
>>
>>944219
Hard inquiries are insignificant to a credit score unless you've
1) a new business with basically zero credit history
2) are running around and applying for credit at every place that'll let you

Another credit inquiry, especially if you're at less than around 6 a year won't even touch your score. As long as you're not talking about literal hundreds of inquiries you're talking no more than a 5 point movement, which if that's enough to fuck you, then you're in pretty fucked up circumstances anyway.

Now, it does, affect your d:e ratio. However, you can...*gasp* close that line of credit to get it off the books! While it may affect automated inquiries, if that line of credit puts you over the lender's desired ratio and you've closed it, and it hasn't gone through the system yet, you can simply furnish written proof that it has been closed to have them re-evaluate the loan decision.

Again, if this is such a massive fucking problem, you're goddamn terrible at business.
>>
File: Uten navn.jpg (1 MB, 2326x2067) Image search: [Google]
Uten navn.jpg
1 MB, 2326x2067
I think I just wrecked my screws, I noticed some rust on my screws today (see bottom right box for example), and they are not even old or haven't had rainwater on them.

But, they are mixed with screws that are made of some other type of metal. Does mixing screws of different metals cause corrosion? Googling didn't help me.
>>
>>944223
>Does mixing screws of different metals cause corrosion?

Technically yes, but you almost always require an electrolyte (read: water) in order to see any appreciable result.

Also since when does light rust "ruin a screw"?
>>
>>944194
That, or, like me, he could be a maintenance worker who shows up to the job, finds out the previous guy who came, or the customer was a tard who used some crazy ass connector that either no-one uses or isn't built for the purpose it's being used for (i.e. gas fittings in water lines, similar things) and home depot is the only place that isn't a 30 minute drive.

I get payed by the hour no matter what I'm doing from my company, the customer is charged for what we take doing the job. This includes getting supplies. Stupid system, I know, but that's how people work in my area.

So it's really a PITA when you get strikes because some faggot at Home Depot would rather waste his shift, and 2 hours of my time, trying to find something for me by digging through the shelves rather than just pulling it up in the inventory system to see if they even have it, since he's 17 and wants to avoid getting called over to do actual work because he has nothing else to do.
You can't go elsewhere, either, because then the management will ask "well why did you go all the way to x supply shop instead of the home depot right there?" and give you strikes anyways.

>opening a line of credit with a retail store

Yeah >>944190 Is still pretty fucking stupid though.
>>
>>944225

Technically they are not ruined, but having a pile of rusty screws kills a part of my soul.

I'll just spray each screw contained with a load of wd40 then I guess.
>>
>>944227
Can't you just order online and pick it up at the store after they pull it, or does it have to be shipped in?
>>
>>944231
I'm practically a specialized handyman.
Most of the time I have everything, but when it's something that's hard to find we don't know until we get there.
Our company is certified to perform basic plumbing and electrical work, but we're told not to replace the whole line for something that is just a leak that can be fixed with the appropriate connector. If the problem occurs again we call in a real plumber at a reduced rate.

So generally we don't have time to order said part online, because the customer wants it done now.
Other wise we would and go work on nearby calls while we're waiting.

Either way, the hour long drive or the 2 hour wait at home depot we will get in trouble for.
I eventually said fuck it and dropped $500 of my own money on an assortment of uncommon connectors.
>>
>>944234
Nah, what I mean is you get to the site, and see you need X piece and you know you don't have it...can't you, on your way to HD, pull out your phone, order it, specify pickup, then get it when you get there?
>>
>>944237
The home depot site has never had an accurate representation of their actual inventory.

I know my local HD carries ratcheting terminal crimpers, 4 different brands in fact.
After 6 different searched for different names for the tool, all I can find on their site is one brand that cost $56.

If I can't even find crimpers easily, how can I expect to find obscure parts?
>>
>>944241
Ah, I was asking because I didn't know if it was possible.
>>
>>944243
It's possible, but only for the items they display on the site, which for things I need, isn't much.
>>
>>944187
i would really like to see the plans for constructing a windmill on top of an apartment building.
>>
>>944234
>>944241
>>944249
the online site is... their search engine is something amazing, and i'll be polite and leave it at that.

you CAN go online and if you are able to see the pieces you need, you are able to get the order in, and theoretically (maybe half the time) it'll be ready by the time you get to the store. if it isn't, you tend to get workers scrambling immediately to attempt to get your order together, because none of the managers want a customer waiting around for an hour.

that said, when you get there, if your order isn't ready, tell the kid who's there to get your shit together that you'll go with him, as you can often find the stuff as fast as he can because you know what it looks like already and he's just going off a sku and bay location. it'll also be easier to substitute upgrades for you if you're just right there.
>>
>>944271
>the online site is... their search engine is something amazing, and i'll be polite and leave it at that.
Protip: never actually use a site's build in search engine if you don't absolutely have to.

In google, type in "whati'mlookingfor site:www.thesiteimlookingin.com" (no quotation marks)
>>
>>944275
no argument from me
>>
>>944190
Did not read the comment. I was saying the idea that customers would not complain if every associate they saw was doing their jobs was false and stupid. All of the things I listed were either employees doing their job in a way that was inconvenient for upset customer, or caused by decisions of higher level management, which, really is also them doing their job of getting the stockholder the most money and screwing a customer out of the most money for the least expensive service that they'll come back for. Just like every other corporate enterprise in the world.

>>944159
Yep. expected and asked to do, but I've noticed that female associates get better customer reviews by being slightly flirty instead of helpful than male ones actually trying to help. Probably because the only ones who have the experience to give advice are older, salty, semi-retired, and will cuss you out for doing stupid shit cuz they don't give a fuck. All the ones who needed the work went back to the field when wages dropped from the $15-20 to $8-12.
Also, no actual training on helpful stuff beyond the basics as far as I can tell. Most of what I've picked up is from hearing other customers bitch.
>>944175
Absolutely agree. But, by your own admission you weren't on the floor for very long. The kinds of people who go above and beyond for the customer tend to go beyond minimum wage jobs. If nothing else, they tend to have the hustle to go get a different job for $1/hr more at wherever. Home depot hasn't been the highest wages in a while, even walmart has been paying more for the last year or two.
>>
>>944479
Cont.

>>944180
Pretty sure I DID say smiling at the customer was required. But if no one is in plumbing, then all I can do is call store manager to tell you that the only plumbing guy scheduled today is out to lunch. And you've wandered off while I'm doing the mandatory: call plumbing, wait for answer, page plumbing, wait for them to call back, call front end supervisor, see if they can find someone in nearby department who knows plumbing, or possibly call manager, or get distracted by something and never call me back.
If I go help you find something in other department, I'd be doing >>944227 and wasting time trying to look for something in a department I don't know, if you even know the name of what you want, and >>944190 because then there's no one in my area.

The point is, don't bitch at the associate who has 6 customers ahead of you who need help, or who isn't a master of plumbing knowledge, or can't identify your lightbulb at a glance, bitch at management who isn't willing to hire people at anything even resembling handyman wages to get a smattering of people who know their stuff to teach others, or to schedule the hours to have someone to cover lunches and other shifts in other departments.
>>
Why doesn't HD or Lowes carry fire/refractory bricks? (luckily there is an actual brick yard near by)
>>
>>944497
The same reason that any large big-box retailer doesn't carry something - there's not enough of a demand to stock an item like that. Especially one that is physically large, heavy, and doesn't sell for a lot of money
>>
>>941018
I don't want to be that guy, but...That's not a rhyme, that's alliteration.
>>
>>944187
>implying most specialized labor is hard
>>
>>944497
Ace Hardware carries them
>>
>>936541
>Also: we have a line we can direct dial a team of greybeards to answer esoteric questions if we really need to.
I've been at HD for a few months, no one has told me shit about this, I must know.
>>
>>935540
Do any of the stores carry ballast-compatible T-12 LED bulbs, or am I going to have to rewire my luminaire to support the ballast incompatible T-8 LED bulb?
>>
>>945586
i have no idea. i'll ask electrical tomorrow if i can remember. no promises
>>
garden recovery 'leader' reporting in.
>>
>>945586

They do at my store. I did so in my garage.
Thread replies: 231
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.