[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Internet of Things
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 10
File: THE INTERNET ON A CHIP.jpg (333 KB, 1600x1280) Image search: [Google]
THE INTERNET ON A CHIP.jpg
333 KB, 1600x1280
I made this thread on /g/ awhile back and they seem to think that the Internet of Things is just a fad.

What does /diy/ think of it?

>What IoT projects have you made?
>What do you think is overkill when it comes to IoT?
>What is your favorite board to use in your IoT projects?
>What has been the best resource for learning IoT that you have used?

This is the board that I'm getting, or at least one of the variants of it. Any tips for someone getting into IoT?
>>
It's a "fad" but it's one that will probably subtly become mainstream to the point where people don't even think anything of it anymore.
>>
>>991620
It's not a fad it's jumping the gun. it has to be done but I feel it's one of those things we're going to look back and be like "yea that was a good idea, but we didn't have the tech/know how/patterns/downsides really laid out"

IT security and especially hardware security is laughable at this point. when the chinese can hack your shit and turn your fridge off and turn the A/C to 15 degrees that people are going to take a step back from it.
>>
I think the amazon speaker / hub device is the first step for the general public to accept it. The first tech public step I'd say was the Nest. Early connected devices were just tinkered toys.

Once the hub is accepted and the tech cheaper they can integrate it into some current central appliances like TVs, refrigerators and toasters as well as mobile devices to decentralized the hub. I don't think we'll ever be to the point of regular houses being fully automated. Just small things that are electronic already and can use some reason to be voice/app controlled. Outlets/lights and the like need a price drop before they become general public material.
>>
>>991620
Every electronics company is clambering to get their equipment into the "internet of things" right now. Toasters, Dishwashers, pet collars, toilets, flashlights; it's ridiculous. I'm a computer engineer and in the last month I've had two companies offer me double what I presently make because there's so much demand for people with the right experience for that. I took one of them. IMHO it'll play out like the dot com bubble in a few years.
>>
File: GOOD HEAVENS.jpg (9 KB, 257x196) Image search: [Google]
GOOD HEAVENS.jpg
9 KB, 257x196
>Any tips for someone getting into IoT?
Get out.
>>
>>991620
Inevitable, but a terrible idea. Myopia in general, despite any marginal utility of the whole deal.

I'm only 22 and already an old world relic. It likely only gets worse. I don't see this regressing or looping back on itself without a collapse of infrastructure and society, or something similar to the 60's movement. It isn't like 8 tracks or vinyl.
>>
>>991654

Congratulations on the new job, Anon!

Here's hoping that you make oodles of noodles of money.
>>
IoT was probably meant to automate with a lot more diversity.

Right now, it doesn't make sense because you still have to monitor the IoT event just to try to figure out how to make it more automatic
>>
>>991620
more like internet of shit
>>
Tell me WHY "iot" is a shit idea. Most of you are just saying it to join the bandwagon
>>
>>991809
>Tell me WHY "iot" is a shit idea.

i'll tell you by analogy. in the old days, you knew you ran out of toner when your pages came out too light. then the greedy fucks started putting chips in the cartridge, and the chips decided when you were out of toner, refusing to print even if you actually had 100 pages left of ink.
now imagine thieving corporations with their hooks into every one of our devices, and Jew CFOs coming up with new ways to screw you on everything, all the time. and spy on you even more.
>>
>>991824
>then the greedy fucks started putting chips in the cartridge, and the chips decided when you were out of toner

that's stupid anon, it would be cheaper to put less ink in the cartridge rather than create some ship to fake being out of ink while still having some left
>>
>>992178

He's right though.

Also, because of the chip you cannot refill the ink or toner on many printers now. Once they read empty, it is locked to empty unless you fancy some EEPROM tinkering.
>>
>>991620
I think IoT is going to be a big thing in industry, but much of it will be in ways that "regular people" don't notice.

One example in my area I know of: there is a vending machine company that has some wifi-enabled vending machines. When the driver comes around to refill the machines, he can get a list of all the stuff that sold from a machine over a laptop in his truck, so he can immediately load up a car that has *exactly* what he needs to refill the machine. The company has said that the machines cost a bit more, but having this wifi ability cuts the time of refilling the machines in half. So over the long run, it's a big savings for them.

Ordinary people don't see that use tho....

Prolly the most common use that normal people will see is already here: that being, keyless car entry systems--and data systems built into cars.

------

3D printers are the same way.
There is lots of companies selling hot-string printers into the home/hobbyist market, but that's not where the big bucks are.

The big money is where companies are adopting this kind of tech into the industrial processes they use. There's lots of ways that this can improve manufacturing but it takes time to adopt new methods, and you need to have an in-depth knowledge of what those companies do to be a part of that.
And of course--normal people don't ever see this. Just the people who work at these companies.
>>
>>992455
your vending machine guy sounds like an idiot
you can take enough stock to replenish a machine on a small trolley, usually you can manage a few machines and you just swap out boxes from the van to the trolley on your round.

plus the magic box can't tell you what's still in date or needs rotated.

>3d printers
>big money
they cost big money, they don't make big money.
>>
My problem with IoT is relying on an outside component that could disappear a few years down the line and cripple the functionality. I got one of those Ecobee thermostats from my power company as part of a trial, which is nice, but the company could very easily lose out to competitors and shut down their servers at any point. The unit should in theory continue to function as a normal thermostat but all the features that set it apart will be dead. No more convenient app and web login to change the schedules, no more usage tracking, just a fancy looking dumb thermostat.

I get that the money is in keeping consumers reliant on the companies, but that's fucking stupid from the consumers point of view. So my advise for anyone going into IoT is give every project you touch the ability to be self reliant. If your shit won't work when your company goes tits up, I don't want it in the first place.

If you mean just going into it as a hobby then you probably already intend to make your projects independent though. So just make useful shit.
>>
>>991628
As a 32 year old with a degree in Network Security I can tell you that the idea that we will ever be much more secure than we are now is a joke. Processing capabilities of large multinational companies and governments alike will soon be able to break anything that's currently out, but then the security catches up. Happened in telecom, then dial-up days, and next with IoT. But just as China doesn't care enough to hack your personal home router, they don't give a fuck about your IoT coffee maker. The targets will always be the companies that house the cloud data which happens to include some IoT things. But these companies are the first to upgrade to the latest defense before China can break the old stuff. I had mentioned this to my friend at Cisco and he says that the equipment google leases for 2 years to protect their shit from the Chinese gets sent to the Chinese after Google upgrades to the newest stuff. Make no mistake, American companies get new tech before foreign governments ever could.
>>
File: 1u83jfh.png (38 KB, 275x414) Image search: [Google]
1u83jfh.png
38 KB, 275x414
>>992458
>your vending machine guy sounds like an idiot
>you can take enough stock to replenish a machine on a small trolley, usually you can manage a few machines and you just swap out boxes from the van to the trolley on your round.
>plus the magic box can't tell you what's still in date or needs rotated.
Yea, you can just do it the old-fashioned way "without all this stupid computer shit"--but you can't do it as well.
And with computers (and wifi) getting cheaper and easier to use all the time, there's less and less arguments for not optimizing where possible.

It's kind of like how UPS drivers use computerized delivery routes to avoid left turns.
http://compass.ups.com/ups-drivers-avoid-left-turns/
For an individual to avoid left turns to save gas probably wouldn't ever translate into significant time or fuel savings.
For a delivery service with thousands of vehicles that was making hundreds of thousands of left turns every day, avoiding left turns saves a lot of time and money.

Also most modern vending machines are built to dispense FIFO, specifically to avoid the expiration-date problems.

>>3d printers
>>big money
>they cost big money, they don't make big money.
you are talking about the hobbyist market; I was talking of the industrial market.
The average price of an industrial-grade 3D printer is something like $50K+, and the consumables involved aren't cheap either.
There is a big-and-growing 3D printer industry that's never been anywhere near Kickstarter.
>>
>>991620
Fuck iot
>>
>>992455
I think the wifi ability on vending machines is far more profitable in that it can allow the machines to take plastic. Inventory is just a side benefit
>>
>>991626
that's, like, the opposite of a fad
>>
>>991809
Okay, let me answer you with another question:

Why for example would anyone need a toaster that sends their phone SMS messages when their toast is done?

Do you need a belt that connects to WiFi to tell you your waist size (and then find that your Amazon recommendations are littered with weight loss books)?

How about a light bulb with a shitload of RGB LEDs and a few drivers in parallel that you can use to turn into an impromptu disco ball using your phone?

You get the idea now?
It's not an Internet of Things. It's an Internet of Worthless Shit That Doesn't Matter.

Startups don't understand this. They keep focusing on creating novelty products that do nothing but jamming a WiFi card into a product it has no business being in, and then they forget that there are a shitload of products that could be made more secure, more distributed, more useful. And yet they don't go for it.
>>
>>992786
It does not follow. Having a vending machine (to follow the example most cited in this thread) inform a distribution company of when it needs refilling, saves man hours, gasoline, wear and tear in the vehicle etc by not having a guy go out there when it is not necessary. I get that it would be retarded to have your fridge inform you when you are out of milk (one example I see quoted a LOT when it comes to IOT articles), but there is some use for this stuff. Even if it does have a retarded name.
>>
>>992796
The example of a vending machine is fine. I'm referring to good examples of things that could use internet connectivity but aren't mature products, like wireless doorlocks. Right now those run on Bluetooth and are prone to replay attacks.

But if a doorlock were able to connect with a keyfob using WiFi Direct over an AES encrypted connection, that would be a long way towards an Internet of Things that isn't just an Internet of Junk.
>>
IoT is a forced meme. Everyone in the electronics industry is looking for the next big thing now that cellphones are a commodity. It's all about "we're gonna grow revenue cuz ... IoT!"
>>
>>992180
>>991824
this is pissing me off
>>
>>992638
I should clarify:
>It's a fad FOR NOW, but will eventually "die out" as a fad and will gradually reappear as "normal" features of consumer goods
>>
File: 1334474994771.png (260 KB, 467x346) Image search: [Google]
1334474994771.png
260 KB, 467x346
>>992786
I take exception at the lightbulb comment!

I have 3 set up in an overhead fan and have scripted them through their app to come on blue at a set time, gradually increase in brightness and slowly fade to white. It wakes me up without fail and I seem to never be groggy. Then at night they one by one turn to red and shut off, save for one that provides some non-awaking light for midnight piss trips. I haven't even thought about the light switch in months. It works great and I have as much control over the automation as I could possibly want. It makes my life easier in a way I never expected and solves problems I never knew I had.

AND I can turn them into an impromptu disco-ball.
>>
>>992827
This
Also use mine for text alerts
They have other uses too, security warnings, emails alert, etc.
>>
File: nuclear_zmachine.jpg (2 MB, 2400x1595) Image search: [Google]
nuclear_zmachine.jpg
2 MB, 2400x1595
>>992616
>I think the wifi ability on vending machines is far more profitable in that it can allow the machines to take plastic. Inventory is just a side benefit
the article didn't mention that aspect, tho I have seen it.
{ I wonder if they all had to change to the chip-readers too? there's no machines near me that take debit/credit cards... Recently in the USA, every place that accepts credit cards had to change to readers that could read the chip. If a card has a chip, the machine has to read that instead of the magnetic strip }

besides,,,,, anything that would enable more sales, would also necessitate that the machine be refilled more often too

>>992786
>Why for example would anyone need a toaster that sends their phone SMS messages when their toast is done?
a toaster is a poor example (tho I don't doubt it may exist,,,). Lots of other home appliances could benefit from remote monitoring/remote control tho.
it's not a necessary feature, but a lot of appliances have microcontrollers in them anyway and the wifi modules are the size of a postage stamp and cost less than $2 already

>It's not an Internet of Things. It's an Internet of Worthless Shit That Doesn't Matter.
>Startups don't understand this. They keep focusing on creating novelty products that do nothing but jamming a WiFi card into a product it has no business being in,
well,,, most startup companies have no assets or significant product, and are mostly selling hype. most have no track record of performance, at all.
there is a small class of (young) entrepreneurs and (young) investors who find that climate acceptable, and startups tend to be over-represented in internet news stories.
most of the big & rich investment firms won't go near startups; they don't consider them to be worthy of consideration at all.
>>
>>991628
>turn your AC to 15 degrees
I'm upset by this statement.
>>
>>992961
Actually interesting note about that chip thing, venders can still chose not to read the chips and rely on swipes, however if there is credit card fraud, the vender is responsible for it. This started around January 1st.
>>
Question:

How is any of this IoT stuff different than me setting up a server on my local network that controls a few arduinos via wi-fi?
>>
>>993266
You don't need to have the server.

Also, if you are already controlling the arduinos with wifi, why not just connect them to router directly? Unless they are wired to the server machine.
>>
>>991809
This is why, most people are too retarded to set it up properly and get owned by script kiddies with nmap.
>>991628

Relevant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9iIlSC7Uds
>>
File: 20160514_130035.jpg (3 MB, 2121x3771) Image search: [Google]
20160514_130035.jpg
3 MB, 2121x3771
I am an EE with an industrial OEM, and we build a lot of custom retorofit control systems for IP65 environments. I standardized our main controller as a custom PCB based around an arduino mega with w5100 ethernet and a dozen other common peripherals. It sends data to Exosite at regular intervals and on alarm events (data out only) using an Option Cloudgate modem with Verizon m2m data plan. Costs around $7/device/month for the cellular and data retention. Customers love getting monthly reports showing performance of the system.
>>
>>992471
>I had mentioned this to my friend at Cisco and he says that the equipment google leases for 2 years to protect their shit from the Chinese gets sent to the Chinese after Google upgrades to the newest stuff. Make no mistake, American companies get new tech before foreign governments ever could.
As long as they have pockets as deep as Google's. Few do.
>>
>>992786
>Why for example would anyone need a toaster that sends their phone SMS messages when their toast is done?

That would be stupid. But being able to log the temp of each room of the house would be nice.

>It's not an Internet of Things. It's an Internet of Worthless Shit That Doesn't Matter.

It's going to be Internet of Sealed Black Boxes Controled By a 3rd Party.
>>
>>993405
>Customers love getting monthly reports showing performance of the system.
Do they actually look at the reports? After the first 3 months I doubt they do. I roll my eyes whenever a customer asks me to generate a regular report for something.
>>
>>993411
Most do becasuse it satisfies regulatory requirements, yes. Otherwise, I don't care if they do or not, they pay us to send them anyway.
>>
>>991620

- I have no projects made myself, friend of mine is making a wide area receiver working with laterns (lights), and other stuff in his garden
- What is overkill? Imo nothing, and it is true that everything will be connected with everything the coming years/decades
- google on LoRa
- google for hours, spend time on the right social platforms and you'll be amazed by the smart things that are already out there (and do not confuse domotica with IoT)

SODAQ Autonomo board

Couple of days ago I learned that drilling platforms have sensors in their drills, not one or two, but a shitload, all these sensors are transmitting info about pressure in the drillpipe, MAERSK is working on autonomous cargo vessels, these vessels will be packed with sensors.
I also see great opportunity's for criminals, which can track people with the knowing, using wide area networks which operate on the free band...
Lots and lots of things will start to happen in these area's
>>
Hydro QC just imposed "smart meters" on all home owners. Most of them transmit data back to HQ in real time. A few of us opted out of that and have to pay someone to come and read the meter.

Long and short : Hydro QC can now know in real time when most of their users leave for/come home from work.

And fuck your privacy.
>>
>>991620
IoT'ed my fish tank. so there's that
>>
"IoT" would be useful for lots of things, but we need really bulletproof security for it, which we don't have. Plus any IoT device has to be built taking into account that the internet doesn't always work.

With the temptation of vendors to use an internet connection as a way to take shortcuts and lock customers into their service, IoT's not likely to have a good reputation any time soon.

IoT hardware is pretty handy for a lot of things when you keep it off the internet, though. Like captive portal devices you control with your phone by connecting to them as a wifi network, for instance.
>>
>>992827
>I take exception at the lightbulb comment!
>I have 3 set up in an overhead fan ... I haven't even thought about the light switch in months. It works great and I have as much control over the automation as I could possibly want.
Yea but that isn't really IoT use, I would argue. It is only using wireless & programmable control.
If you are building your own thing, you can use NRF24L01 wireless modules (2.4gHz but not wifi) and programmable capability to make a lot of things around the house a lot more useful. It allows *nearby* remote-control and this still doesn't expose info to the internet at large.
If you want to engage in remote-control over an internet connection yourself, you can add on a single Wifi/ethernet access gateway. That is a lot more secure than every separate thing having the internet as the ONLY way it can be remotely operated at all.

IMO,,,,,,, IoT is really three things in one: it is radio-control combined with some form of internet access, and the internet access implies some form of programmability or control--possibly by yourself, but mainly by somebody else. The main reason you want your "thing" to have free access to somebody else (or their computers) is so that they can make stuff happen for you. ,,,,And it's pretty tough for me to think up anything like this, that I would want enough to pay for.

~~~~~~~

The Amazon Dash buttons are a good example of an IoT product; they require all three aspects to be useful,,,,, but they are not really sold as a product unto themselves; they are sold as a product that itself sells OTHER products.
I think the concept is brilliant, tho I don't have any yet.
>>
>>996286

Amazon buttons can be hacked to be even more useful for super quick record keeping. How often is my baby going to the bathroom and when? get a huggies button, smack it when you change the diaper, and let your hacked system gather up the data.
>>
>>992470
This.
Unfortunally no company cares about what happens when they shut their servers down.
>>
>>992471
As a 32 year old with a degree in network security, you are very late to the game. Degrees in network security are a relatively recent fad, so you're probably a recent grad (last five to seven years).

Also, if you have been in the field for a long time, then you would know that all network security is based on very smart math by very smart people that is subsequently patented and licensed to big business by the NSA.

Security (at least real security) is bullshit. If they want it they can get it quickly. Everything else is just script kiddie bullshit and you wiping the arse of shitty coders.
>>
>>992458
If you're filling 50 machines per day, the value of having that info is much more apparent.
>>
>>991620

I've been doing iot before that term was in the lexicon, both professionally and privately.

Used to use rabbit semiconductor shits like 12 years ago before this pleb tier shit got so cheap I'd be a fool not to use it.

Also what you call iot we used to call it internet telemetry (even if it was bidirectional)

>>992470
Yeah needs to be standards that customers know and care about.

>>993405
My employers always seem to want to use expensive ass plc's running ladder logic shit, no shit they still use phone based modems on some of this shit.
>>
Blynk is a great application to use with the nodeMCU board. The time spent getting the project online and working will decrease alot. It also looks quite nice.
>>
>>992455
>>992458
>>992616
In my country the vending machines are illegal if they are not hooked up to the cellular carrier/bank in some way so the national profit agency can track their profit directly. That being said, most of them, or at least the new ones are all IoT'ed as hell. Controlling almost any function and such.
>>
>>992178

Not when you consider that you can buy a printer for 50usd that will require cartridges each costing 15 usd. Screw people on the last ten percent of each with your chip and you increase revenue from 100% to 110%.

Simple economics. It's in the company's best interests to screw you. If you don't take this into account when you purchase devices then you're getting screwed. Simples.
>>
>>997193

God bless you, Anon. I have been looking for a simple interface like this for ages and you have helped me.
>>
I'm going to hook up the doorbell to an arduino micro with a wifi module which will send push notifications through pushingbox to my phone and pc along with a screenshot from an IP camera I already have on the roof.
>>
>The Internet of Things

"Ah time to sit down for a lunch of tortillas made from a $450 single-use machine and a glass of vegetable juice made by a $750 single-use machine! But oh-no! My wifi is out so they won't read the DRM-enabled food pods!"

"Hey honey ready to have sex?" "But both the mood lighting and the buttplug need a firmware update!"
>>
>>997187
Controls 'engineer' here, everything we do uses PLCs. We have to, because the electricians for the various plants can't into programming, and so pretty pictures is the only way they can understand this stuff.
>>
>>998302
>the buttplug need a firmware update!
This gives me ideas.
>>
File: teledildonics.jpg (30 KB, 615x409) Image search: [Google]
teledildonics.jpg
30 KB, 615x409
>>998512
Looks like i am too late to the party, again.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/weird-news/sex-toy-hacking-fears-security-5079356
>>
>>997363
>God bless you, Anon. I have been looking for a simple interface like this for ages and you have helped me.
(not that guy but anyway)
The Blynk app allows accessing your IoT device over the intenet--but it also depends on the Blynk servers working.
It is nice to begin with but it isn't an independent solution.
>>
IOT is a security nightmare. It's literally the most insecure thing ever made. No thanks. SC Magazine regularly publishes the nightmare that is IOT. Pathetically crude or non-existent encryption, less security than a computer mainframe had in the 60s. Look up 'Nest' products. Basically a gee-whiz neat-o gadget without any common sense engineering behind it. As stupid and not thought out as the IOPL (internet over power lines) idea. Have fun.
>>
>>991824
Yeah. I bet that they are gasping masturbating using only their sweaty palms for lube over the idea of having the power to break your talky toaster with a firmware update every 6 months, forcing you to buy another one, all the while using its data acquisition to build a marketing profile on you so you always buy exactly what bread they want you to buy.
>>
>>998941
>IOT is a security nightmare. It's literally the most insecure thing ever made. No thanks. SC Magazine regularly publishes the nightmare that is IOT. Pathetically crude or non-existent encryption, less security than a computer mainframe had in the 60s. Look up 'Nest' products. Basically a gee-whiz neat-o gadget without any common sense engineering behind it. As stupid and not thought out as the IOPL (internet over power lines) idea. Have fun.
The security issues has to do with the web services that manufacturers want to tie into.

I think that (for a DIY'er) it is much more useful to think of the ESP modules as short-range remote-control modules that can work with the web browser on your phone.

You can get wifi and bluetooth modules for arduinos pretty cheap, but the bluetooth modules are harder to use from your phone. The reason is because you have to write a phone app specifically to interact over bluetooth just to use the module at all.

With the wifi modules you don't need to write (or install) a phone app--you can just set the ESP up as a single-page file server that (when you request any web page) sends out a page with some javascript buttons on it to engage the remote-control functions that you want.
>>
>>991620
I'm about to buy one of these things. Are they any good?
>>
>>991620
For the lamens, it's a security and logistical nightmare. Dozens of companies competing and portals you have to remember. But it is called the future for a reason, and is an excellent idea that's been executed like shit due to everyone wanting the cheapest solution.
I do automation work for a living, and have almost everything set up with the automation/monitoring I want securely. Everything is hardwired. Things I want but can't do are because the mechanical pieces aren't in place, like a VFD on the AHU fan, scrolling compressor and VAV dampers. I already monitor room temps with buttons on them to make that the controlling temp. Once the unit I have goes bad, I'll replace it.
And a heated bathroom floor. I don't think I'll ever actually do it unless I built a new addition or new house.

Overkill? Anything that requires a lot of user input with shitty interfaces for stupid reasons, refrigerators being the worst culprit. Anything life safety manufactured by a gimmick brand is terrible. That shit should be monitored, by a relay on a reliable device. Things that only need to be monitored, not controlled, again refrigerators. And then shit that doesn't need to be even monitored, small appliances and overblown info on shit like washers. You need a relay in series with the "done" chime, you don't need water temp and capacity.
There are companies now that offer pretty good solutions, but my buddy said the ones that they install start at about 10k.
I have a cheap wifi camera solution, running Cat6 now for a better solution.
>>
>>1001839
>I'm about to buy one of these things. Are they any good?
These are the only modules I've seen that already have the two buttons you need to reflash the chip--if you expect to be doing that. So they're good for lazy people I suppose.

The buttons are -reeeallly- tiny tho, and difficult to press with your (my) fingers. The buttons are visible on both sides of the mini-USB socket.
>>
>>996286
Right but you just basically made that up, that's like saying "In my opinion, a motorcycle has a sidecar." It's not valid, IoT is generic term for networked automation.
>>
>>1002278
It's good fun if you have a use for it, loads of info already out there on how to interface with it. That said, you're typically looking at slow response times and frequent stutters or hangups, it depends what you're using it for. Curtains that open and close to values set by serial? Great! RC robot? Fuck no.
>>
>>993932
I've been thinking about setting up a fishtank with IoT monitoring. Could you show how you did it and what functions your setup has? Maybe in a new thread, even.
>>
>>991620
its a solution in search of a problem that does not exist. my washing machine does not need to be internet aware.

also, when you've been hacked because your stupid espruino or whatever is found to have a security hole in the tcp stack, have fun updating all your "appliances."

but hey on the flip side im all for anything that makes intel irrelevant. at one time it was all 8051 now its all ARM, Atmel, and PIC.
>>
>>1001893
>Overkill? Anything that requires a lot of user input with shitty interfaces for stupid reasons, refrigerators being the worst culprit.
You could do a lot with refrigerators tho.
How about: Amazon Dash-style buttons on the door, for each regular item? That sends the item to a shopping list on your phone.
Or even--how about little separate scales for each food, shaped like the bottom of each food container? So while you're at the store, even if you aren't out of milk yet--you can still check how much is left.
Or even,,, cameras inside the refrigerator, so you can see what's there on your phone? The cheaper 'arduino' cameras only cost $3.60 at the moment...

>>1003136
>its a solution in search of a problem that does not exist. my washing machine does not need to be internet aware.
"Does not need", sure. But could be helpful if it was.
Ever seen a house after one the washing machine hoses bursts?.... Washing machines could be set up to shut off the water and text you.
Ever had a refrigerator break down? If the temperature went too high it could text you.
Ever had your furnace or AC break down? Same thing.

Most of these don't make the event cost any less (except for the water hose one) but they do make it less annoying by not being a total surprise.

>also, when you've been hacked because your stupid espruino or whatever is found to have a security hole in the tcp stack, have fun updating all your "appliances."
this is true--I wonder about the security of these things also,,,, and I dunno if allowing OTA updates is much if an improvement or not.
But if you DIY it all, then you can at least reflash it yourself.
And if you had just one ESP module functioning as the sending unit for a whole bunch of different sensors and appliances, then you only need to update one access point.
>>
>>1003152
>You could do a lot with refrigerators tho.
how about a pad and paper
or even,,, a brain
>>
File: joinus_tar01.png (12 KB, 80x80) Image search: [Google]
joinus_tar01.png
12 KB, 80x80
>>1002940
>Right but you just basically made that up, that's like saying "In my opinion, a motorcycle has a sidecar." It's not valid, IoT is generic term for networked automation.
Well yea, I'm a "maker". I make stuff. wanna see my alarm clock Im working on?
And there was networked methods available before we had wifi. Wifi is used for "internet" access. And today is national donut day, so donut correct me again.

>>1003159
>how about a pad and paper
>or even,,, a brain
{you prolly meant "a pen and paper",,, tee hee,,, }

Do you have any phone numbers stored on your cell phone? [you probably do, most people with mobile phones do]
Why not just use a pad and paper? Or just memorize them?......
Once a feature is cheap enough to be included by default and is easy enough to use, it's pretty silly to argue against using it.

"Web-connected stuff" is a new and growing industry, "pens and paper" are not. Which job do you want?
>>
>>1003288
>Well yea, I'm a "maker". I make stuff. wanna see my alarm clock Im working on?
Yes. I honestly... God help me, I honestly do.
>>
>>1003159
There's something to be said for doing things the simple way, I agree, but there's also something to be said for reducing repetitive cognitive load, especially if you've got a high-load job or hobby. Personally I don't, but I can see why a 12-hour-stressful-day dude would want a fridge with a webcam recognizing product logos and flagging his phone before he leaves work to tell him his milk's expired.
>>
Sweet Jesus does this make me feel like a fucking geezer. I'm a 29 year old IT admin, and fuck anything that has the word "smart" or "cloud" attached to it. To hell with unnecessary things being constantly connected to some overlord, I say.
>>
"IoT" will be part of our future but as pointed out it'll need to settle down in to something useful.
It's being utilised by small farmers, web-cams in cow sheds, environmental controllers for poly-tunnels/grow houses. All of which saves time travelling from one point to another
As home users we're not seeing much though, the best seems to be security systems but they turn out to be too easy to compromise
How difficult would it be to compromise the command server for some iot toasters so they start burning quotes from blade runner, terminator etc on the toast
>>
>>991620

I work for a semiconductor company and our CEO said in other words that IOT was a forced meme and we're getting out of it. He said the market isn't ready and it's mostly hype.
>>
>>1003859
>The market isn't ready
The consumer isn't ready to spend triple the cost of a normal fucking lightbuld when there is barely even a standard yet. I have a zwave setup that I can't find certain things for.
>>
>>1003864
It's becoming mandatory in California office buildings to have lights that automatically dim when there's window sunlight. It could be done with a simple closed loop system, but most places are going for wifi controlled setups.
>>
>>1003859
He's right but shareholders aren't gonna like the sound of that.
>>
>>1003402
Don't forget those login credentials.

And don't forget to update the firmware. You have time to read over those terms and conditions?

If you're a single guy, living alone and working 12 hour days with a subway commute on either end, you have like four things in your fridge. And if your life is that hectic and empty, you hopefully make enough money that you don't really need to worry much about cooking.
>>
File: 1286899556173.png (352 KB, 483x509) Image search: [Google]
1286899556173.png
352 KB, 483x509
/g/ here.
I don't think it's a fad.
>>
>>1004220
Hmm, that seems a bit of a worst-case scenario. Terms and conditions don't need to change with firmware updates, and I've entered the login credentials for any given service on my phone exactly once and then my fingerprint gets at them forever.

The fridge is a bad example though, you're right. When I was doing contract work inside richfag's houses, a lot of the time the doorbell would have their automation system pipe a video feed of me through to their phone at work, and they'd ask me over the intercom to show the camera my work order and business card - then buzz me into their house to get the job done.

The alternatives would have been having somebody there to let me in, leaving a key with me, giving me the code, or taking time off work.
>>
>>991809
Not only will it make you depend on technology more and enable you to have less survival skills, but it's a subtle way of the government controlling you and letting them know what they're not entitled to.
>>
>>998302
As if having to sysadmin a television wasn't bad enough.
>>
>>991824
Chips in ink carts would be useful if they reported ink levels. Think corporate environment with 100s of users of a printer. Alerting IT of low ink levels so they can replace carts is a Good Thing.

That they also lock you out and force you to buy insanely expensive ink makes them enemies of humanity.

And you think printer companies are bad, Kreug did it to coffee.
>>
>>991809
Mass acquisition of personal data. Network comprising insecurity.
>>
>>1005124
http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/05/keurig-stock-drops-10-percent-says-it-was-wrong-about-drm-coffee-pods/
Worked out great for Keurig...
>>
File: Invention-of-Flying-machine.jpg (61 KB, 736x241) Image search: [Google]
Invention-of-Flying-machine.jpg
61 KB, 736x241
ITT: Because it has been done badly several times, it is stupid to think it could ever be done right.
>>
>>991824
That's an anecdote not an analogy
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.