[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this worth reading if I'm interested in webcomics right
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: webcomics.jpg (34 KB, 281x400) Image search: [Google]
webcomics.jpg
34 KB, 281x400
Is this worth reading if I'm interested in webcomics right now, or is it outdated as fuck?

Are there any more recent books on the subject?
>>
File: 81EnTbTAt8L.jpg (365 KB, 1422x1736) Image search: [Google]
81EnTbTAt8L.jpg
365 KB, 1422x1736
I thought that Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics was pretty decent. His others were fairly good, although not necessarily immediately relevant. The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams is a big thick tome which, while geared towards animation, can give you ideas for character poses.

I'm not familiar with the book you posted. I could be informative, or it could be a waste of time. I'm honestly not sure what the history of webcomics specifically would have to offer. I would think that general information would be more relevant for a potential webartist, although I suppose the book might offer some insights or information that I'm not aware of.
>>
>>82806204
Just like webcomics themselves man it's not worth reading.
>>
>>82806204
Oh wow, is only one of those webcomics regularly updating anymore?
>>
>>82808501
When did Megatokyo end?
>>
>>82808540
Dunno, I stopped reading it around the time that what's - his - name started flaking out for months, is it still ongoing?
>>
Who the fuck is that hallmark card art on the far left.
>>
>>82808804
>right
I can't do directions
>>
>>82808804
>not recognizing Scott McCloud
wew lad
>>
Webcomics are the biggest waste of creative freedom ever.
>>
>>82808953
k
>>
>>82808953
>>
>>82806204

Scott McCloud, Penny Arcade, MegaTokyo and... what the fuck is that?
>>
>>82809239
Seconding this.
Also I assume the floating head reaching out from the vortex at the top is T Campbell.
>>
>>82808738
Idunno. I feel like so few people still read Megatokyo that it could have ended five years ago, yesterday, or still be updating all as equally probable possibilities.
>>
File: 1461383669964.jpg (30 KB, 286x185) Image search: [Google]
1461383669964.jpg
30 KB, 286x185
Only one series you need to get into.
>>
>>82806204
The problem with webcomics is that this book looks insanely out of date just from the cover.

The real story of webcomics is hard to capture in a book like this, because it's a disparate community of barely connected people. So you can't really pin it down in one narrative. There's a world of difference between Penny Arcade's shitty gag comics for gamers, and something like Unsounded.

And that's without getting into the wealth of completely unknown webcomics with obscure roots. I mean, is there going to be a fetish chapter? Because there ought to be.
>>
File: 1448.jpg (238 KB, 650x975) Image search: [Google]
1448.jpg
238 KB, 650x975
>>82808738
It looks like it is

No news since last year but the comic last updated in April, apparently

And it looks as bad as ever
>>
>>82810411
You want to know what's sad? I can't tell if this is supposed to be read right-left or left-right.
>>
>>82807116
Actually been curious about this particular subject myself. Thanks.
>>
>>82808333
>>82808953
Explain your edge.
>>
>>82810476
Easy: it isn't supposed to be read.
>>
>>82810918
it's so true though
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.