[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what's the fuss about writing? I mean growing up I thought
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3
File: gm.png (756 KB, 550x786) Image search: [Google]
gm.png
756 KB, 550x786
So what's the fuss about writing? I mean growing up I thought the same people drew and wrote the story/dialogue, but to think there are guys whose job is to actually write these stories? I mean, am I alone in this? Are we supposed to think Scott Snyder is a genius, or Grant Morrison, just because he dug up some silver age lore? Don't get me wrong, the stories are enjoyable and I love reading them (I wouldn't be here otherwise) but come on, anyone with half a brain and one month per issue could pull that off. This extends to writing a synopsis for any medium. What I would consider difficult is writing dialogue, which ironically seems to be the most overlooked process of all.
>>
>>82794599
>This extends to writing a synopsis for any medium. What I would consider difficult is writing dialogue, which ironically seems to be the most overlooked process of all.

Right up until there you were almost convincing.

Writing dialogue is the easiest thing. It's purely the voices in your head; there's no need to set up the scene with directions or description, there's no need to introduce people or worry about grammar, you can just sit down, try to hear two different people talking to one another, and write it out stream-of-consciousness. It's the easiest thing in the world.

Writing good dialogue? Well that's like any other kind of writing. If you think it's easy you're shit at it.

Writing a synopsis is pretty hard too. Your synopses are supposed to get people to want to read the entire work; if you think they're easier because they're shorter, you're retarded.
>>
>>82795279
What I meant is that good dialogue is harder to write than a good story. It is really easy to slip up and the dialogue quickly looks off. But I mean take a look at most of the stories (film/comic books) that are deemed genius. I swear you'll find they're the simplest shit ever. All those courses and theories on writing are bullshit. It's easy as fuck. Plus people now confuse clusterfucks storylines & over-misdirection for genius.
>>
lol. where's your finished comic book?
>>
>>82795516
I don't have one - read the OP. It's these guys' actual jobs to write these stories. Good for them. I, on the other hand, have no interest whatsoever in writing one. I just want to understand where the "writing takes talent" meme originated. Plus I'm utterly unable to draw and that's the hard part.
>>
>>82794599
Writing a full script is a fucking ordeal. Everyone and their mother says don't plan out panel layout. Those individuals have to much fucking faith in the artist. If the artist thinks they can lay out the work better than I can I love to hear it, but I'm not just going to let you run free with your own interpretation of my own god damn work. I know what can and cannot fit on the page. I count all the words. I pay attention to layouts (i'm rocking 2x4). I have a sense of visual space. And all this needs to be adequatley conveyed in your script or else.
>>
>>82794599
>I mean growing up I thought the same people drew and wrote the story/dialogue,
all the best in the business do both
Schulz, Watterson, Kirby, Frank Miller, Hernandez bros. Paul Pope etc. etc.
>>
>>82795782
Those are literally the only notable ones, friendo.
>>
>>82794599

Mots of the Artists do not know how to tell a good story. They focus too much on the visual aspect.

Just look at Japan. Most mangas are fucking shit BECAUSE the artist and the writer are the same person.

Writing a script can be a pain in the ass.
>>
>>82795679
These technical details are a pain but I pretty much agree with OP on the fact that it's frustrating to see writers praised for their stories. Whenever I hear court of owls was genius I cringe. Writing comics is a craft. Specifically, structuring your panels, setting the pace and dividing your story into issues is hard. But comic up with "what if Batman was up against a secret society of wealthy gothamites"? That's the easiest fucking part, yet it's the one writers get praised for.
>>
>>82796123
>it's frustrating to see writers praised for their stories

Why is this wrong? The writers put a lot of work and imagination into them. Why shouldn't they receive praise for their part?
>>
>>82795574
Where's your novel faggot

It's so fucking easy to write yknow, go get rich
>>
>>82795827
I dunno. Togashi does good work when he's not in a hurry/getting paid for storyboards.

Miura is superlative, he just takes the same amount of time as a Renaissance old master painter doing his stuff because it's so eye wateringily detailed. It's also probably killing him, but a lot of the guys I mentioned basically killed themselves painting.
>>
>>82796123

If you think writing comics boils down to coming up with general plot ideas you're retarded.
That's actually an editorial pitch. The writer's job is to make those ideas a bit less retarded.

Good writers are fucking hard to find. Go a look up writer/artist authors. Most of those stories either suck, or the art is pretty basic.
Mignola is basically a genius for being both a great artist AND writer.

Image comics in the 90s are a huge case of artists trying to prove they could write their own stories and just coming up with the shittiest fucking edgefests.
>>
>>82796325

Togashi's art is horrible, and Miura is like the Japanese Mike Mignola: a super precious gem that should be protected at all costs, and in no way represents the rest of the creative industry.
>>
>>82796123
>it's frustrating to see writers praised for their stories.
Then you've either never read a well written story, or never read a poorly written story.
>>
>>82794599
OP, you're retarded. I'm sorry you're finding out like this, but someone had to break the news.
>>
File: 1441245770863.gif (450 KB, 300x243) Image search: [Google]
1441245770863.gif
450 KB, 300x243
>tfw when OP thinks the old-ass "Marvel Method" is how all comic are written
>>
>>82794599
>>82796123

These complaints aren't unique to comics. People talk about and praise plotting because it's the easiest element of storytelling to discuss and also the most memorable element.

In any storytelling medium, there's a lot of craft. In any medium, it takes much more skill than you'd realize to create a story that has no gaping flaws and is also perhaps even...good.
>>
What's uncanny is the number of writing courses/books there is. It can't be taught. You just have to read a lot. Most comic book buffs who're not autistic (I do mean that in the 4chan buzzword sense) would make decent writers. At least enough to write ongoings for the big two if they put in the minimum amount of work. The rest is pure dumb luck.
>>
>>82795574
>I just want to understand where the "writing takes talent" meme originated.
That's because it's not a meme, you fucking idiot.
>>
You think writing is easy? Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!
>>
>>82796754
Keep telling that to yourself. I've never, once in my life, looked up to a writer as much as I look up to artists. It's just unimpressive. One could even argue that it's actually harder to write a bad story than a good one. But I guess it's like being able to speak more than one language or that kind of thing: you've got one half of the population who're amazed and spend their whole life trying to learn how to do it, then you've got the other half who is simply able to. There may even be some people who would argue that it's the artists who're unimpressive. That'd be interesting.
>>
>>82796861

I never thought i saw an opinion that was flat out wrong. But I guess there is a first time for everything.
>>
>>82795800
try reading comics sometime, amigo
>>
>>82796896
judging by your post you're in the wrong half. genuinely sorry for fou.
>>
>>82795800
Don Rosa, Carl Barks, Robert Crumb, Darwyn Cooke, Mignola, Todd MacFarlane, Moebius, Tezuka, Eisner. There's way more than that, pal.
>>
Good thing we're entering an age where artists are taking on/over writing duties instead of letting a writer steer the wheel entirely
>>
>>82797167
>Todd MacFarlane

:^)

You can't be serious
>>
>>82796631
Actually, a lot of big comics writers seem kind of autistic. See Grant Morrison and Geoff Johns.
>>
>>82797168
Yeah, because that always works out well, right?
>>
>>82796604
This has nothing to do with what's being discussed. But I like your lingo, take my gold xD.
>>
>>82796861
Except in the case of bilingualism, it's those who actually possess the skill that see it as easy, whereas in this case, it's those who don't who misconstrue it as simple.
Also, I'm curious, what do you think a writer actually does?
>>82797167
Don't forget Chris Ware (everyone always does) and Daniel Clowes.
>>
>>82797168
>what was the Marvel Method
>what was Image in the '90s
If anything we're leaving that age more and more.
>>
>>82797422
Yeah but they're actually autistic which at this point doesn't really have anything to do with what 4chan calls autistic. Plus I don't think Morrison is autistic, I think he's pretending to be a madman so that people will look for meaning in his books and the proceed to call him a genius so that nobody will know they didn't get it.
>>
>>82797469
>>
>>82797539
Maybe it's just his accent that throws me off.
>>
>>82797017

Not him, but actually reading comics would only make you realize how writers actually do make a difference.

A good writer makes or breaks a book. There's a reason why there are almost no famous "good artist/bad writer" runs, but TONS of popular writer runs with shit art.
>>
>>82797510
>Except in the case of bilingualism, it's those who actually possess the skill that see it as easy, whereas in this case, it's those who don't who misconstrue it as simple.
And your proof is...?
>Also, I'm curious, what do you think a writer actually does?
Ideally, everything apart from pencils, ink and color.
>>
>>82797585
The quotations marks make it seem as though you're a proper newfag who's trying to sound like he knows stuff is what I meant.
>>
>>82797422
>>82797539
I never thought about it but I guess Johns actually sounds and looks autistic.
>>
You've never ever looked at a comic script, have you?
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.