[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
AT - "The Hall of Egress"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4
Someone explain this episode. 2deep4me.
>>
Finn broke the universe because he couldn't figure out a simple puzzle but was too stubborn to give up.
>>
http://www.ptbarnum.org/egress.html
>>
>>84476973
So it was a trap for adventures like the dungeon train?
>>
>>84476879

Finn needed to look at things from a different perspective. He needed to give up all he had, every bit of his former self, in order to move forward.
>>
From what I remember, Finn goes into a cursed temple, that's a given. But there is no way out, except a door he cannot physically open. Again, given. The only way through the door is by keeping his eyes closed. If he opens them, he returns to the temple, and anything he did was returned back to normal. Finn finds his way out by physically exiting the temple, first going through the egress door. He finds the temple again after passing through the Egress door, which is sort of a temple within a temple type of deal, and goes through a replicate door in the replicate temple. After doing so he can keep his eyes open, and exits the temple sucessfully. This concept really isn't that hard to comprehend, are you brain dead?
>>
>>84478326
In addition, THIS episode is "too deep 4 me"? No wonder /co/ thinks AT trys too hard to be deep, you guys are all fucking retards.
>>
File: egret-nice-flight[1].jpg (102 KB, 800x531) Image search: [Google]
egret-nice-flight[1].jpg
102 KB, 800x531
>>84476879
>explain this episode
an egress is a female egret. it's not that complicated
>>
>>84478390
Says the guy who literally explained the surface level of the episode and nothing else.
Not saying it was the deepest thing ever but there was more too it than "FINN WAS IN A DUNGEON AND STUCK BUT THEN HE GOT OUT AND WAS OUT"
>>
>>84478433

That reminds me of a book I read once. This guy was trapped in a cave with a magic thing that learned your tactics and would summon something to counter whatever you summoned.

He basically used fantasy logic to trick it by teaching it that the female version of a monster was stronger than the male counterpart. He summoned and ogre, it summoned an ogress. He summoned a dragon, it summoned a dragoness. He summoned an egret, it summoned an egress.

But an egress is an exit, not a female egret, and the dude just walked out of the cave.
>>
>>84476879
It was ambiguous enough that pretty much any theory a watcher comes up with is correct.
So use your imagination because the guy who made the episode isn't telling (that is if it was meant to mean anything specific anyway).
>>
>>84478326
You didn't explained the meaning of it.

It is pretty obvious that there is more than just the surface level.
>>
>>84478937
WHAT
>>
File: flameshotsman.png (323 KB, 1016x1583) Image search: [Google]
flameshotsman.png
323 KB, 1016x1583
Dropping this here, someone wanted some Flame princess!
>>
>>84478948
goddamn, that dress is so revealing it might as well not be there.
nice stuff dabs.
>>
File: Celina.png (58 KB, 172x417) Image search: [Google]
Celina.png
58 KB, 172x417
>>84478948
Good job mate.

Would you be up of doing something with Celina from the hyomans?
>>
>>84476879
A writer really wanted their own show they make every episode they write have this 2deep4u aesthetic to try and catch the eye of execs

all while getting rid of the fun nature of adventure time in the process

hope this helped!
>>
>>84479107
I found this episode fun.
>>
>>84479107
Let me add a final important piece to this explanation.

Fans like this >>84479163 have been Stockholm Syndrome'd into thinking that the show is at the same quality as it was in it's first season when in reality the quality has been going down since the first season!

Cartoons are so bad nowadays and have been for so many years that people can't tell the difference between a good and bad show anymore!
>>
>>84479235
I didn't said it.

This is some real high level of faggotory. Who hurt you?
>>
I fucking hate these 2deep4u Adventure Time episodes.

There's one thing to make a more complex episode because you value your public enough to know they aren't idiots, but then theres this try-hard attempts and making your show look more insightful and deep than it looks but you end up forgetting you're also in charge on a children's cartoon.

So, you end up failing to make something for everyone, pandering only a niche demographic of people wanting to debate and believes "ooh how deep this is."

You can't be somewhat insightful and existencial, but sometimes I feel some of the AT crew tries to hard to gain prizes and act as their above normal writters.

Things like this, Astral Plane, Jake The Brick, Chips and Ice Cream and Breezy just seem so disjointed of the type of cartoon AT it or was. MEanwhile they are other AT epsiodes that manage a good balance.
>>
>>84478686
>he says while failing to explain the deeper parts of the episode
>>
>>84478941
There isn't anything, just faggots poking at something that isn't there. If there was something deeper they would have explained it by now.
>>
>>84480595
there wasn't anything there but there was enough material for any naval gazing fags to make up theories ranging from Finn going through puberty to getting over the shit that sucked in his life to letting go of material binds that held him down to the world to simple "look at things from a different angle" and shit like that.
everyone has their own theory for the episode and they're all equally worthwhile and worthless. writer just let the audience create whatever meaning they wanted to instead of doing it them self.
>>
>>84480551
>>84480595
Would also like to add, anyone can make their own theories, and relate this episode to other forms of media, but that doesn't mean it is necessarily part of the episode.
More so to the theories part. An example of this would be in last week's talkback thread where an anon described the Music Hole's "song," is just the dead people it swallowed, while ignoring the faults of their argument. I can bring it up, but would rather just explain these theories have literally no proof behind them, and rely on assumptions from no subtext or anything but the theorizer's own imagination.
>>
>>84479634
Why can't it just be an episode of Finn exploring a dungeon? Why make it out more than what it was intended to be to justify your own contempt for it?
>>
>>84480864
Because there have already been episodes about Finn exploring a dungeon and they were a world of difference away from Egress which had a much more serious and sinister tone that was also very mysterious.
The dungeon seemed to be teaching Finn a lesson of some kind instead of just being a big house of monsters like the other dungeons we've seen.

I'm not that guy and I don't even think it was a bad episode but come on, don't try to defend it by saying there was no deeper meaning to it. If exists but good luck trying to fucking figure it out- they made it ambiguous to provoke interest.
>>
>>84479107
but this was a Herpich episode, not a jmoyns episode
>>
>>84480987
Herpich can get way up there to, only difference is that he doesn't go the Jesse route of having characters give huge existential monologues and instead like to go for weird imagery instead.

Remember that this is the guy who did Lemonhope.
>>
>>84480987
>>84481056
and wolfhard just gets strange (in a way I usually enjoy but still)
>>
>>84480979
>they are implying something but it is too unclear to distinguish what exactly they're implying
>no, seriously, they are implying something
Try harder faggot
>>
>>84480979
What about Dad's Dungeon. That wasn't just an episode of then fighting monsters.
Finn was also dealing with the psycological abuse from his father. Finn was visibly hurt, he even considered dying because of the resentment to what his father thought of him. There are emotional aspects in many episodes, that doesn't mean they are less enjoyable. At least I can point out what was actually being implemented. Fan theories are just that, stop giving them attention as if it were as overt and intentional as the emotional messages left in "Dad's Dungeon."
>>
>>84481056
Lemon Hope was okay, I just really disliked the little fucker's attitude.
>>
>>84481472
That's exactly what it is you fussy retard.
If they just flat out said at the end "And the lesson audience is flip the snowman" or whatever then no one would care, the thing lots of people liked about the episode was building theories about what the point of everything was.

If your theory is "It's just a dungeon bro don't think too hard" then you're technically not wrong but you're for sure a boring homo with no imagination.
>>
>>84481546
With this information we can even go deeper. This would bring up questions as to why Finn cares so deeply about what his father thinks of him. You would need to look into mutilple episodes to see how reliant Finn is on a father-figure. This isn't mindless fan theorizing. And even if you could form a conclusion, it wouldn't make the episode a "2 deep 4 u" episode.
>>
>>84481609
see here >>84481636

If these little fan theories can't follow this then there really isn't any sense in giving them recognition. There's a difference between actually forming a hypothesis and just making shit up. What is the lesson? If you can't make up a lesson then you really are just poking at something that isn't there.
>>
>>84481704
I'm not even saying fan theories are right, just that "A" theory is right. Because just saying that some dungeon randomly trapped Finn for years and the way for him to escape was to detach from his life and aimlessly wander around until he found the same dungeon again, plus the ending sequence with PB's saying, all happened for no reason and means nothing is retarded.

Something was happening there, but it's up for the audience to decide what because they didn't fully outline it. In fact they barely outlined it at all and that's the interesting part.

Just because other episodes have a much more easy to find and upfront meaning doesn't mean that unless every episode has something similar or there's nothing there.
>>
>>84481777
Then how is it a "2 deep 4 u" episode? If the only meaning behind what we see comes from the theorist and not the writters themselves?
>>
>>84481847
I'm not arguing that at all, it could be 2deep4aperson I suppose but I was just saying that there is a meaning in it somewhere. It's not something readily apparent and it will be different to everyone who watches though.

Shit, if we wanna get 8deep64u the message was how everyone who partakes in art gets something different from it or some shit. The conversation we're having right now illustrates that.
>>
>>84481777
A good chunk of /co/ is just anti intelectualism.
>>
>>84481889
Then these theories are in fact noncanonical to the actual episode. In other words, there isn't anything, it's all in your imagination. If the writers intended to have a deeper meaning, it would have been there. Again relating things to current media doesn't necessarily mean it is apart of the episode.
>>
>>84481903
>if you don't partake in making shit up you discourage people using intellect.
>>
>>84481944
Jesus Christ guy, well then I'm done. If you wanna jerk yourself off over missing obvious implications that's your right as a faggot on 4chan I suppose.

Remember folks, if you ever make a piece of art make sure to smear the meaning over it so that geniuses like this guy don't experience it and go "well I guess there was nothing there in the end."
>>
>>84481944
I don't get you anon. If I'm retracing the conversation correctly you're arguing in favor of the episode and defending it against a guy who called it 2deep4you bullshit, but to do that you completely strip away everything the episode was about and say "See, they didn't explicitly say anything, it CAN'T be 2dp4u!"

You're harming the thing you're trying to defend here by going in the opposite extreme.
>>
>>84481989
What exactly were they trying to imply? It has to be something objective and verified from what we see in the episode from a non-biased viewpoint. Otherwise how can you say it was the writters' doing? You guys are trying to think about what the writter could be implying, instead what they actually are. If its the former then how can it be a "2 deep 4 u" philosophical episode when that was only implied by the audience, and not the writters. The writters don't take ideas from fans and implement them into the show, so why would they pander to what the audience "thought" they meant.
>>
>>84482056
The "2 deep 4 u" bs was created by the fans, completely while disregarding the writters intent. This is easily identifiable when asked, what were they implementing? I never received an objective answer, just an excuse on the writters ambiguity. What was ambiguous? Again no objective answer. If you want to bring up intellectualism blatantly making something up isn't apart of that. If the 2deep4u bs was indeed what was harming the show, how is getting rid of it hurting the show as well? There isn't anything, anything you can come up with is the viewers imagination.
>>
>>84480551
Are you fucking retarded? He was the one asking in the first place for input on the deeper meaning
>>
>>84482209
Alright man, if that's the way you feel.

Just saying though, if there's nothing more to the episode all it is is 11 boring minutes of Finn talking to himself and being insane for no reason. If that makes it a better episode in your mind then rock the power and all that.
>>
>>84482260
Which is?
>>
>>84478948

UNNNGHHH

T H I C K E R
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.