[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was Kamala worth it? As in, was her becoming popular worth all
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: Ms_Marvel_Last_Days.jpg (251 KB, 655x993) Image search: [Google]
Ms_Marvel_Last_Days.jpg
251 KB, 655x993
Was Kamala worth it?

As in, was her becoming popular worth all the ensuing girly and DIVERSITY stunts hoping to cash in on her hype?
>>
File: practicool.jpg (386 KB, 1200x1144) Image search: [Google]
practicool.jpg
386 KB, 1200x1144
>>84456769
>all the ensuing girly and DIVERSITY stunts
They called it "Batgirling" for a reason, m8.
>>
>>84456823
I've never heard anyone ever used that term tho.
>>
>>84456833
>I've never heard anyone ever used that term tho.
"Batgirling was the internal phrase at DC Comics, inspired by the success of the revived Batgirl comic book – and Harley Quinn"

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/08/25/dc-tells-editors-stop-batgirling-go-back-to-meat-and-potatoes/
>>
>>84456769
Sure, because most comics are shit anyway and having a good comic is still having a good comic
>>
It doesn't matter how many bad comics get forgotten anon. Only how many good ones get remembered.
>>
>>84456769
Not really. Kamala works in her own right, but wasn't so great a character that it was worth the shakeup. And even the shakeup would have been fine if it were driven by a real creative desire rather than marketing shenanigans. I'm fine -even supportive- of different takes on established characters, re-imaginings as different races or genders or passing on the mantle...if you're doing it because you have an interesting story to tell.
>>
>>84456907
>having a good comic is still having a good comic
THIS.

You're literally asking if it's better than nothing ever has any quality other than "meh" rather than suffer the inevitable attempts to recapture lightning in a bottle.

It's like asking if it was worth it for Marvel to start making comics like Spider-man, Fantastic Four, and X-Men when it lead to DC trying to ape their "Powers with Problems" formula or Watchmen leading to a long list of ham-fisted "deconstructions."

Most of us are smart enough to see cheap knock-offs and gimmicks a mile away and avoid them (see CW II's current sales decimation as a case in point).
>>
>>84456995
>it was worth the shakeup
What shake-up? Danvers was already Captain Marvel at the time Kamala came out.
>>
>>84456769
Yeah, actually. All the bad stuff her success brought along will eventually wash away and "Remember that time Falcon was Captain America?" will become just a silly remark like "Remember electric Superman?"

But Kamala seems to be sticking around, and that's great.
>>
File: msmarvel3featuredimage.jpg (19 KB, 400x224) Image search: [Google]
msmarvel3featuredimage.jpg
19 KB, 400x224
>>84456769
>Was Kamala worth it?
Yes.
>>
>>84456823
Yeah but the difference between Kamala and the new Batgirl is that Ms. Marvel is actually good and Kamala is actually a likable character.
>>
>>84456995
Even if something is created for the most cynical, pandering and creatively bankrupt reasons I don't think this is the case with Kamala, just bad marketing people, if it's good, I don't really give a shit. Ms. Marvel is the first teen comic since Runaways that is actually enjoyable to me.
>>
>>84456769
It's unfair to hold Kamala accountable for writers who tried to capture her success by trying to turn her into a formula
>>
>>84456823
I thought Ms. Marvel came out BEFORE Batgirl?
>>
She didn't start anything, they've been doing that Diversity stunt for awhile. She was just a case of someone actually putting CHARACTER into a person to be more than just a token foreign person.
>>
File: JUL150203.jpg (106 KB, 659x1000) Image search: [Google]
JUL150203.jpg
106 KB, 659x1000
>>84459349
Don't you know anything? /co/ understands the Truth that the only superhero that's ever made without an agenda being pushed is the Heteronormal White Male.
You see, it's the H.W.M. that MUST show the world what's Right and only a H.W.M. can fight what's wrong, because only a H.W.M. can identify what's wrong because of their natural incorruptability.
And it's important to put forth examples of H.W.M.s that are stronger and smarter than anyone who isn't a H.W.M., so as not to push an agenda.
And every superhero team needs at least one H.W.M. to lead everyone else, because really, who else would all we H.W.M. readers be capable of identifying with?
Anything else would be pushing an agenda, Right?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.