[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't comic book writers like using the term "ESP"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: images.jpg (10 KB, 323x156) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
10 KB, 323x156
Why don't comic book writers like using the term "ESP" for things like telekinesis and telepathy? Does the term swing to close to magic?
>>
>>84378481
The concept of psychic existed outside of magic and witchcraft it was a term meant for people that display abiitlies outside the ordinary related to the mind.
>>
File: 39909465_p0.png (109 KB, 530x489) Image search: [Google]
39909465_p0.png
109 KB, 530x489
>>84378481
manga does this a LOT i notice
>>
>>84378481
Because other words exist that describe specific types of ESPer powers.
>>
>>84378481
Because ESP is not telekinesis.

>>84378634
>>84378678
They all seem to take after the same wave of interest in psychic stuff that hit the west too in the 60s and 70s
>>
>>84378968
>Because ESP is not telekinesis.
That's like saying all weapons are guns.
ESP stands for Extrasensory perception and telekinesis and telepathy are variasions of ESP
>>
>>84380425
Telekinesis is action, not perception.
>>
>>84380425
Equating ESP to telekinesis is like equating the sense of touch to the act of pushing an object.
>>
>>84380425
This post would make much more sense if all the sentences were in reverse order.
>>
>>84378481
Extra Sensory Perception isn't really Telekinesis and may not necessarily be as precise as Telepathy. Psionics is the more commonly used umbrella term for all of them however.
>>
>>84378481

ESP is reading
Telepathy is active communication
Telekinesis is mobilization
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.