[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>When Superman reaches maturity, he discovers that he can
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: Action_Comics_1.jpg (50 KB, 300x416) Image search: [Google]
Action_Comics_1.jpg
50 KB, 300x416
>When Superman reaches maturity, he discovers that he can leap 1/8 of a mile, hurdle 20-story buildings, "raise tremendous weights", outrun a train, and "that nothing less than a bursting shell could penetrate his skin".

Would old school slightly-less-OP Superman have made for a more interesting superhero?
>>
Yes.
>>
>>84353811
No, also fuck you.
>>
>>84353811
Yes.
>>
>>84353811
They just finished with a story where Superman gets his powers nerfed. Consensus is it wasn't good
>>
>>84353811
He would have been more human, more vulnerable.
So no.
>>
It's not about him being overpowered.

Golden Age Superman had simpler interactions -- he wasn't always fighting highpowered supervillains but spent most of his time stamping out human injustices.

The *only* power that needs to be removed from his powerset is superhearing and long-range X-ray (and/or make X-ray not constantly on, the opposite of ASS-powered Superman/Lex). Take those away, and Superman is automatically more interesting: he can actually be surprised, has fewer reasons to take a "nah, i'm not gonna help you" stance, etc.
>>
>>84353811 New 52 Superman pretty much started out with the exact same powers as old school superman he even had some of his personality.
>>
>>84353950
Fuck you Superbro was awesome
I'd totally buy his tacos
>>
>>84353992
EDGELORD ALERT, NOT MUH, NOT MUH!
>>
>>84353992
I always get mad thinking about this, since that Morrison and co. gave him Silver+ Age strength within like 4-5 issues ---- AND, throughout those issues, Superman was considered a public menace. What a waste of a good concept.
>>
>>84354180
Yeah, I was hyped to finally have a Golden Age Superman running around in comics again, only for it to get undone so fast.

I actually liked most of the recent arc with Superman losing most of his powers and having his identity exposed--up until they started powering him up all over again.

I actually really like the thought of a Golden Age Superman's powerset fighting against Silver Age level threats now and then; seeing him struggle and never give up with a more limited powerset is fun.

Plus, it'd easily allow them to start using some of his less powerful antagonists again. When was the last time we even saw Prankster or Toyman? With how everything is focused on DBZ power creeps, stories about Superman seem to always resort to villains that are Doomsday-tier in strength.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.