[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would Katara and Sokka have been better teammates for Korra than
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 228
Thread images: 32
File: 1440667459429.png (583 KB, 1166x816) Image search: [Google]
1440667459429.png
583 KB, 1166x816
Would Katara and Sokka have been better teammates for Korra than Mako, Bolin and Asami?
Would they have been able to guide her better? Would their skills be more valuable to her?
>>
No, because you'd be left with the same problem:

They don't have any real reason for being there. They just follow Korra around like RPG party members.

In ATLA Sokka and Katara had personal stakes in the conflict, and strong motivations. Mako and Bolin just seemed to have nothing better to do.
>>
File: 1412279296258.png (284 KB, 500x722) Image search: [Google]
1412279296258.png
284 KB, 500x722
>>84349747
I suppose that's true.
Though it really shouldn't be too difficult to give them a motivation, being that they're all from the same tribe. If you make Katara somebody who befriends/admires Korra, then have Sokka come along to look after his sister, similarly to how it worked in ATLA.
Alternatively, put Korra in Aang's place and keep all the motivations the same.
>>
Put Korra in Aang's place

Does Katara become gay?
>>
>>84350491
Katara fell in love with Aang because he's nice, considerate, and mellow (presumambly)

Korra is rude and obnoxious

Do you think Katara was attracted to Toph? Because it's a similar question. The difference being that Toph was less gung ho about actively ruining things for everyone.
>>
>>84350491

No, but Sokka becomes a sub.
>>
>>84350560
For which girl?
>>
>>84350536
>Katara fell in love with Aang because he's nice, considerate, and mellow (presumambly)
That's more unrealistic than people throwing fire from their hands
>>
>>84350471
sauce on this pic?
>>
>>84350578

I've got to admit, I wouldn't mind seeing a version of ATLA where Katara was in Aang's place and Sokka becomes her childhood friend secretly pining for her on the sidelines.
>>
>>84350536
>nice, considerate, and mellow
But Jet was none of these things.
>>
>>84350617
>making them unrelated
What are you, gay?
>>
>>84350536
>nice, considerate, and mellow
While I don't think they did him any harm, what I think swung it for Aang was that he was wise beyond his years, optimistic, committed to peace and straight up heroic.
>>
>>84350656

I meant Korra but typed Katara for some reason.
>>
>>84350491
Korra would have hooked up with Azula
>>
>>84349525
Either team would have been okay. For the most part the characters were good the problem with Lok was the lazy world building, plot and conflict. Season 1 laid out a shitty foundation for a series and everything after was one dimensional. No one was able to grow as a character
>>
>>84350656
I think he meant Korra.
>>
>>84350471
>put Korra in Aang's place
She would die by trying to defend her tribe from the fire nation. Or doing any other stupid shit she does.

She is also inept spiritually, and S01 spirituality was needed.
>>
>>84349525
Tonraq would have been a better MC than her degenerate lesbian daughter
>>
>>84350790
it's pretty obvious korra was just a girl version of her dad when he was younger.
>>
>>84350672
We never find out what she sees in him. They get together because they're the leads, the actual relationship was never explored all that much besides "oh Aang, wait till the war is over" for her and "muh earthly attachments" for him.
>>
File: how to avatar.png (211 KB, 974x1092) Image search: [Google]
how to avatar.png
211 KB, 974x1092
>>84349525
>>
We never saw Sokka's kids in Korra did we?

LoK shafted all the non-benders hard.
>>
>>84350790
MAN her dad was hot tho
>>
>>84350842
>switch setting
>korra still a Failure
Yeah, so nothing changes.

Also, how the hell would she learn air?
>>
>>84350857
Sokka probably didn't have kids. Bryan said something to the effect that they didn't think of real solid endings for Suki and Sokka except that the latter had a career in politics, and we also know he was still alive when the White Lotus found Korra. If he does have kids they could show up in the comics.
>>
>>84350857
The whole Amon business confirmed Bryke never gave a shit about non-benders.

Yeah, I'm still salty.
>>
>>84350915
There was no discrimination against non-benders. You should be salty that nobody in book 1 pointed out that what Amon was saying didn't make any sense, especially when the only non-bender in the group was a rich heiress about to inherit a huge corporation.
>>
File: kya bumi.png (172 KB, 305x275) Image search: [Google]
kya bumi.png
172 KB, 305x275
>>84350857
What are you talking about?
>>
>>84350944
one of the first things we see in RC is violence against nonbenders made by gangs of benders
>>
>>84350770
>She would die trying to defend her tribe from the fire nation
Except she wouldn't for the reason neither tribe would've let her, if Korra was born during the 100y war she basically would've been water tribe Toph.

And no doubt spirituality would've been harder but not impossible, the Guru and the like would've helped plenty not to mention the Air Nomads wouldn't have been completly wiped out because in this timeline it wasn't a airbender that was the avatar
>>
>>84350471
>Alternatively, put Korra in Aang's place and keep all the motivations the same.
Story would be much more boring. The main conflict in ATLA came from the fact that Aang didn't want to fight.
>>
As far as I'm concerned, Korra, Tenzin, and Lin were the core team. They had an awesome balance of power going on between them. The teenage partners just felt like they were thrown in because the original series had them.
>>
>>84351342
To be fair, we could still base it around fighting, but it ends up spiraling out of control in the total opposite direction.
>>
>>84349747
Uhh friendo? Korra was also from the southern tribe.

They would all have personal stakes in this AU by the simple fact they would've known each other since birth.
>>
>>84350491
Katara has no need for delicious brown
>>
>>84350857
I like to think the Sukka kids were just too smart to get involved with Korra's bullshit
>>
>>84350702
I want this. I WANT THIS
>>
>>84351413
>We need to help them!
>Wait, sis. What did mom and dad say in this situation.
>*flashback*
>"Benders are nothing but trouble."
>"And Avatars are even worse."
>>
>>84349525
Well at least Katara would never be able to make a lesbo out of Korra, no one should be dumb enough to fall for her. She has at least that over Mako.
>>
>>84351105
It's been proven that people who are less advantaged in societies are more likely to turn to a life of crime to get by, so benders becoming gangsters (like Mako and Bolin did) is a sign that things aren't exactly easy for them in Republic CIty, either.

The problem in Republic City was that there was too big of a gap between the classes, and Amon took advantage of people's frustrations to get them to rally behind him.
>>
>>84351368
Or just make it more complex while still being fighting.

Like the Fire Nation conquers rather than genocides, so now all young men must do a minimum amount of military service.

Sokka's back down in the south on leave when the story starts.

The Fire Nation is a lot like Rome in this, where they also give a lot of great things. So barbaric areas are civilized.
>>
File: 1466914186025.jpg (703 KB, 901x750) Image search: [Google]
1466914186025.jpg
703 KB, 901x750
>>84351342
That wasn't the "main conflict. It was one of them, particularly for Aang but it wasn't "THE" main conflict. The conflict was the war.
>>
>>84351368
>ends up spiraling out of control in the total opposite direction
I kind of like it. Korra's sudden re-emergence is a lot more chaotic than Aang's. Her violence inspires the warrior elements of the Water Tribes and Earth Kingdoms, but creates a more devastating response from the Fire Nation.
Cue Katara trying to educate Korra on how to take more diplomatic responses over the course of the series and Sokka schooling her on how to be more tactically aware and hit the FN where it hurts, rather than flying in head first.
>>
>>84350770
>Korra hears rumors about the Air Nomads being wiped out and the Fire Nation sending troops to the South
>Wants to fight and protect her home
>Family wants to send her to the North where she'll be safe
>Ever brash and stubborn, Korra and Naga ride out in a storm to go fight off the invasion
>Get lost in the storm and iceberged
>100 years later she's found by Katara and Sokka
>After learning of the death of her family and the destruction of her tribe, she blames herself for not being there to fight
>Korra's character arc is about learning to let go of her need for revenge before it consumes her, and ultimately forgive herself for not being there when she was needed.
>>
>>84351692
>>84351692
>Rome
Japan m8, the Fire Nation is imperial Japan.
>>
>>84351797
I'd watch that
>>
>>84351797
This hotman gets it.
Katara and Sokka are pretty damn good candidates to teach her that shit as well, given their shared pain as SWT members at the hands of the FN and that Katara's a life valuing optimist and Sokka can teach her how to channel her anger into something tactically useful.
>>
>>84351802
I was drawing a comparison. Japan got their writing from China, so comparing them to Japan didn't make sense in the whole "civilizing the barbarians" angle.

I see it as them teaching all their soldiers to read, so there's a conflict between Sokka and Katara in this. Katara says that their way is that mothers tell the history and story of their people and the world to their children, while Sokka now as books (all written by men because it represents the western literary canon).

This is the gender card, but played in a far less "women belong in the kitchen, amirite fellas?" way.
>>
>>84349525
Maybe. Since they'd be from the same tribe it wouldn't be a stretch to say that Korra would've known them from a relatively young age. Which would mean she'd have been less sequestered, and thus she'd have to have gained more social / diplomatic skills from not being a shut in that only ever learned combat
>>
>wanting to see Katara and Korra bitch at each other

Pairing Korra with another headstrong character would have been really annoying. Toph and Katara's arguments were okay but replace Toph with Korra there and you've got a recipe for diaster.

Asami and Sokka would be goat tacticians though between Sokka's innovation and Asami's knack for tech.
>>
>>84351976
>Pairing Korra with another headstrong character would have been really annoying
Can't be any worse than what they actually paired her with.
>>
>>84350944
There would inevitably be descrimination because non-benders are objectively inferior. It is impossible for there to be equality in that kind of society.
>>
>>84351900
That sounds more British Empire than Roman Empire.
>>
I like how much of a different dynamic this would imply for Korra and Zuko compared to Aang and Zuko.

Imagine how something like The Blue Spirit or The Winter Solstice would play out.
>>
>>84351778
The personal conflict for Aang is what made people care about the story. Without it it's boring as shit, because Aang can just stomp over everybody. Like in the shitty finale where that conflict was taken away.
>>
>>84351976
>replace Toph with Korra there and you've got a recipe for diaster.
Actually, how would Toph and Korra play out? Would they get along or would Toph be a painful reminder to Korra of how angry and stubborn and alone she was when the series started?
>>
>>84352039
Well, Fire Nation soldiers did wear red.
>>
>>84352046
At least Zuko wouldn't feel to weird about wanting to bang the Avatar this time.
>>
>>84352060
>Aang doesn't want to fight but is occasionally thrown into situations where he is forced to
>Korra wants to fight but grows to realize how all that anger and hatred can consume you and has to struggle to overcome it.
>>
>>84352115
Oh it'd still be awkward. It's just that now the awkwardness is over wanting to bang the slightly older woman trying to fucking murder you.
>>
>>84349525
At least the final scene would be better.
>>
File: meme.png (254 KB, 1332x661) Image search: [Google]
meme.png
254 KB, 1332x661
>>84350908
>>
>>84352303
> Reaction Image
What did he mean by this?
>>
File: mileena_by_chaosrule111-d9exdis.png (286 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
mileena_by_chaosrule111-d9exdis.png
286 KB, 960x540
>>84352379
fuck off
>>
>>84352236
What's Korra doing back there?
>>
>>84349525
Would that mean she replaces Aang? Does that mean KorraxKatara?
>>
>>84352473
>>84352379
>>
File: bait.webm (3 MB, 640x368) Image search: [Google]
bait.webm
3 MB, 640x368
>>84352634
>>
Okay, since this is pretty much a Korra thread, I might as well say: I haven't seen the rest of LoK after the first season. I know about the "Lol, they're lesbians!" ending but I don't really know much about the other books after Amon. Is the series worth me checking out? If so, where can I find the episodes?
>>
>>84352477
Eating ass
>>
>>84352714
S2 is terrible except for Varrick and some parts with Bolin.

S3 is okay overall, has issues but is inoffensive.

S4 is meh until the climax where they just do the same thing they always do in the season climax and just becomes bad.
>>
File: 1464301157213.png (45 KB, 255x238) Image search: [Google]
1464301157213.png
45 KB, 255x238
>>84352791
na book 4 is good you idiots just hate it because lesbians
>>
>>84352076
>Toph is impressed by both Korra's toughness and physique
>agrees to become Korra's Earth Bending teacher in exchange for one thing; Korra becomes her fitness coach

and yes this would be setting things up for Korra and Toph becoming a couple by the series end(Katara would end up with either Haku, or maybe a Jet who doesn't die)
>>
>>84353062
It's stupid because giant robots with lasers and villain gets redeemed because of daddy issues.

Go fuck yourself if you're going to steep low enough to use lesbians as a shield for criticism.
>>
File: 1465420092788.gif (1 MB, 245x300) Image search: [Google]
1465420092788.gif
1 MB, 245x300
>>84353096
she didn't have daddy issues you fucking idiot both her parents abandoned her looks like you need to watch and not listen to idiots on /co/
>>
>>84353062
Book 4 is only good if you like Varrick because it was essentially about him after Korra. It started out really strong and then sharply dropped in quality after Korra got back to Republic City.
>>
>>84353068
I would genuinely, 100% rather see Katara hook up with Sokka than consider boring-ass, useless Haru as a serious romantic partner for any of the main cast.
Maybe she doesn't end up with anyone. Or maybe Zutara, but not frigging Haru.
>>
>>84353165
He's generalizing with the daddy issues thing.

The point is her motives did turn from a legitimate grievance against Lin for not doing something about the Earth Kingdom's instability despite having the resources and the ideals to fully industrialize !China to her entire excuse for everything she did was because her parents abandoned her, despite the fact she was supposed to have been raised lovingly by the Bei-Fongs. Of course these are then the same Bei-Fongs who immediately want to murder her due to disagreeing with their politics. They took a wonderful grey villain who was doing good for her nation and they turned around to make it black and white and to jerk off how great democracy is.

I was legitimately angry when Prince Wu said he was abandoning all his responsibilities on to a newly formed democracy that just came out of a war torn nation in order to be a singer and Korra's response to that was "Wow that's really grown up of you!" right before she decided to go on a week long vacation despite none of the shit in the Earth Kingdom being resolved.
>>
File: 1467487189411.gif (3 MB, 700x285) Image search: [Google]
1467487189411.gif
3 MB, 700x285
>>84353368
wow seeing /co/ try and talk how bad korra is some of the funniest shit i have ever seen
>>
>>84353368
I particularly disliked Wu because he was a shining beacon of one of the show's flaws where they keep introducing new characters who take away time that could have gone to already established ones. What the fuck do I care that this lovechild of the Onceler and Aziz Ansari had character development? I don't know this asshole.
>>
>>84350908
Her learning air is the only problem you'd have to solve to make the idea work. Otherwise it's great and she might actually be allowed to beat the shit out of people instead of jobbing all the time.
>>
>>84353499
>Her learning air is the only problem you'd have
Mumble mumble, something about Iroh studying other bending techniques, mumble, mumble.

Or.

Have Aang around as a non-Avatar member of a tiny group of surviving Air Nomads who come out of hiding following the reemergence of the Avatar.
>>
I hate when people try to act like Korra's problems have anything to do with structure

It ain't structure

It's execution

If I told you that the new Avatar series took place in 1920s New York/Hong Kong and starred a brown muscle girl Avatar who was a hothead you'd all jizz in your pants(2011 /co/ did)
>>
>>84350836
Well, she realized her feelings when he acted as a hero.
>>
>>84353552
Oh yeah it's definately doable. I remember another Au thread there was some talk of a sandbender tribe who derived their style from airbending. It just ended up taking over a huge part of the story and replace the siege of the north.
>>
>>84353368
The whole idea of just leaving RC and the earthkingdom behind to take a vacation felt incredibly OOC for both Korra and Asami. Especially considering Korra has spent her entire life looking for a situation to prove herself worthy of being the avatar, and Asami worked on rebuilding RC and upgrading its railway. And then we're supposed to believe they just leave when RC is in ruins and need to be relocated, and the EK needs to transition into a democracy.
>>
>>84350908
>>84353499
>>84353552
>>84353704
If Korra is doing the whole frozen in time thing that Aang did, than could just have her already have mastered Air Bending along with Water Bending(in exchange she has no Earth Bending, and her Fire Bending is so underdeveloped that even the most wimpy Fire Nation trooper could beat her if she could only use Fire and not Air or Water)
>>
>>84353764
>Especially considering Korra has spent her entire life looking for a situation to prove herself worthy of being the avatar
As someone who has been a fan of Korra since day 1, not only was hear leaving at the end disappointing and OOC (like you said), so was her general attitude during the last couple of minutes. She had proven she still has a place in the world by talking down Kuvira and finding a common ground between them (as badly written of a parallel it was).

But when she's on her own at the wedding looking at the spirit portal, she doesn't look happy or even content, she looks fucking miserable. When she's talking to Tenzin about how she feels like she still has room to grow, she looks miserable. Even when approaching the portal with her girlfriend she doesn't look particularly happy. I don't know if there was a miscommunication in production or if I'm just reading into it, but I got the impression Korra still wasn't very happy and had actually accepted that the world doesn't always need the Avatar and doesn't need her, which enabled her to ditch Republic City with Asami, and after everything she's been through it's a depressing conclusion to her arc.
>>
>>84351692
Pretty sure conscripting colonials is pretty barbaric.
>>
>>84353947
Yeah Korra definately did not feel like she had recovered at the time. And i especially hated that they tried to pass it off as if she had become a better person now, when she just seemed so sad at the time. The whole thing from entering the spirit world with Kuvira and onwards felt weird and out of place imo.
>>
>>84352791
Varrick and Bolin were nice in s4
>>
>>84349747

To be fair Mako and Bolin didn't really have anything better to do and Korra was the avatar and pretty fucking hot. Given the chance I would've befriended her and followed her around.
>>
>>84350536
>Katara fell in love with Aang because he's nice, considerate, and mellow (presumambly)
I thougth she fell in love with him because a fortune-teller told her so.
>>
>>84350536
>>84355433
>>84350836
>>84350672
>>84353662
The Katara/Aang was always the worst part of TLA. People like to shit on Korra/Mako/Asami but Aang/Katara was just as poorly handled and shit.

To date the only romance either series did well with a main character was Sokka and Suki
>>
>>84354463
By book 3 it didn't make much sense for them to be following her around. Mako and Bolin no longer wanted to get in Korra's pants. Asami did, tho.
>>
>>84352791
>S2 is terrible except for Varrick and some parts with Bolin.
Season 2 was the worst over all but still had the best first 2 episodes.
>>
>>84355560
>Korra/Mako/Asami but Aang/Katara was just as poorly handled and shit
Are you serious? Aang/Katara wasn't a masterpiece romance and no, it wasn't as convincing as Sokka/Suki but Christ, it didn't almost derail and entire fucking season like the Makorrasami triangle and it didn't make Team Avatar look like a collection of the most vain, stupid and self-interested fuckboys and fuckgirls on the planet. Aang/Katara might not have been that good but it wasn't as actively horrible and obnoxious like Mako/Korra/Asami
>>
>>84355696
I still feel you're exaggerating having seen every season but I digress.

Point is, the show was never good at romance and to act like it was all there in their characters is stupid.
>>
>>84355769
There's value in recognizing the difference between a 5/10 and a 1/10.
>>
>>84355769
Neither show had good romance. But ATLA's romance was harmless, if boring; in TLOK it was a cancerous arc that overshadowed the core plot, turned the characters into insufferable and unlikeable idiots and all-around exposed how untalented and clueless Bryke are with characterization.
>>
File: 7512.gif (2 MB, 500x432) Image search: [Google]
7512.gif
2 MB, 500x432
>>84355816
There's also value in recognizing a 5/10 and 4/10
>>
>>84353962
Conscripting or manipulating foreigners to fight your wars so your own citizens don't have to is like the exact opposite of barbaric.
>>
>>84355893
You can easily turn that around. At least I remembered TLOK as batshit and stupid as they were, ATLA were tacked on I barely even remembered they happened if it weren't for the existence of Korra.
>>
>>84355907
Yes. I wasn't grading those two examples, I was making a point that not everything less than good is automatically the worst shit ever. There's a gradient of sub-par content out there and it's good to be able to seperate the mediocre from the abhorrent. The difference between a 5/10 and a 4/10 is entirely valid.
>>
>>84355958
Well of course, you can turn anything around if you spout out a load of idiotic horseshit with no basis and imagine that anonymous people on the internet are going to treat it as though you made an insightful point on principle alone.
>>
>>84350857
I'm 99.99999% sure Suyin is his natural born daughter.
>>
>>84350944
>ou should be salty that nobody in book 1 pointed out that what Amon was saying didn't make any sense
Wasn't it more like Amon agitated the non benders making the benders look like they felt superior?
>>
>we'll never have a Korra series with past avatars just telling her to FUCK SHIT UP
>>
>>84356024
Look I really don't give a shit, I was just pointing out they were both horrible albeit in different ways, you obviously do so go ahead and hate fictional animated romances I guess
>>
>>84356220
>I was just pointing out they were both horrible albeit in different ways
And not only were you wrong, you did it poorly.
>>
>>84349747
There are literally points in the show where they are literally convinced to go or decided to go because they had nothing better to do.
>>
>>84351296
>if Korra was born during the 100y war she basically would've been water tribe Toph
Why would she not be weak like in LoK just because the setting changed? the only reason Aang could even survive so long is because no one knew how to deal with airbending in the first place. With Korra, they know about her element, she is weaker (lost to basement-dwelling chi-blockers), and can't get airbending in any way.

>the Guru and the like would've helped plenty
Guru is only S02

>Air Nomads wouldn't have been completly wiped out because in this timeline it wasn't a airbender that was the avatar
that highly depends on what happened. For instance, if the water tribe should be anihilated, Korra would die anyway.
>>
>>84356364
Asami in Book 2 was worst for this.
Not only was there no reason for her not to be looking after THE WORLD'S BIGGEST MULTINATIONAL COMPANY WHICH SHE HAD UNEXPECTEDLY INHERITED, she didn't even really fucking like any of the other people in Team Avatar at that point.
She was just hanging around with Team Avatar, purely because she was classed as a member of Team Avatar.
>>
>>84353499
>is the only problem you'd have to solve to make the idea work
she is still retarded and weak
>>
>>84356424
>she didn't even really fucking like any of the other people in Team Avatar at that point.
Where was it established that she didn't like any of them? She liked them, she just no personality and no chemistry with any of them.
>>
>>84356324
>I don't agree with you so you did it wrong
kay
>>
>>84356512
>Where was it established that she didn't like any of them
not him, but i think it's a fair assumption to make when Korra backstabbed her and took Mako, and Mako cheated on her with Korra twice.
>>
>>84356559
she didn't take it personally
what a cuck
>>
>>84356559
No, Asami made it clear in book 1 she didn't have any ill feelings towards Korra because of the whole love triangle. And even though it wasn't the best writing (gee there seems to be a lot of bad writing when it comes to Asami) she and Mako cared enough about each other that they could still be friends after they broke up.
>>
>>84356414
Korra was established as a stronger fighter than Aang without the avatar state, she is an expert in bending at the start of the show. The reason she keeps losing is because the writers force it on her. That is why she lost to Unalaq despite everyone knowing she should have won, it's why Kuvira winning at all is rediculous. The chi-blockers atleast had the advantage of technology and surprise since Korra had never encountered chi-blockers before and probably never learned to fight them either.

Even though the Guru was limited, he could have done wonders for Korras character development, and having to deal with Hei Bai would also force character development on her.

Korra doesn't have to die defending the watertribe it would entirely depend on what happens during the fight and how they all react. You could imagine her being forced by her people to flee into the Everstorm and disappearing.

>>84356443
Writer fiat. She wasn't actually that stupid, and she certainly wasn't weak.
>>
File: gyatso aang.png (206 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
gyatso aang.png
206 KB, 500x333
>>84351296
>not to mention the Air Nomads wouldn't have been completly wiped out because in this timeline it wasn't a airbender that was the avatar
Not really. Sozin didn't wipe out the Air Nomads because he wanted them all dead, he wiped them out because he was expecting the Avatar to reveal themself.
Let's say an Air Nomad Avatar is present during the Sozin's Comet attack. If they try to defend their people, then they would be most likely either killed or captured by the FN soldiers, but then the those soldiers would no longer have any need to keep killing the other Air Nomads.
Now, the way that Air Nomad society works is that the biggest centers of population are the 4 temples, and with no long distance communication, you're only looking at survivors existing at the temple where the Avatar was.
So 3 temples is 75% death rate. I'd stick with around that figure because we know some airbenders who were nomading at the time survived, but also a fair number would probably die at the temple the Avatar was hiding as well, so ~75% sounds about fair. You're also looking at a huge gender disproportions because the temples were gender exclusive. So if Aang is the Avatar in this scenario, the vast majority of survivors would be male, which isn't good for future generations.
Needless to say though, in this scenario, it's completely realistic to think that a small number of Air Nomads would have survived where they didn't in the canon timeline.
>>
File: 1360770338706.png (305 KB, 512x709) Image search: [Google]
1360770338706.png
305 KB, 512x709
>>84349525
>Would they have been able to guide her better? Would their skills be more valuable to her?

Probably. Mako and Bolin were an idiotic vaudeville routine.

Katara and Sokka have brains. Something Korra lacks. I guess it wasn't enough for Asami and Tenzin to be the brains behind those chucklefucks.
>>
>>84356414
>Korra
>weak
Fucking what? Korra was many things, few of them good. But since when was Korra ever fucking weak?

Her biggest weakness was being an idiot who didn't plan anything, that's why the chi-blockers beat her because they were trained to beat benders and had plans for it.

>the water tribe should be annihilated,
sorry no. The water tribe had a better chance of surviving the fire nation than any other nation if anything because the arctic and antarctic are fucking big and cold. Zuko only found Aang the first episode by sheer luck.

If the tribes move further inland and thus make it harder for any invading armies to find them let me tell you, they're not gonna find them even for an army that that shoot fire from their wrists,
>>
>>84356726
>Asami
>having brains
I can't think of a single instance where she actually provided good advice. She's not 'smart' the way Tenzin is smart, she's a mechanic.
>>
>>84356726
Was Asami smart? I don't know if I can really tell you anything about her.
I know they made her the "tech girl" but I don't know if she ever said anything actually intelligent.
>>
>>84356823
I think during the book 4 finale it was her idea to do the... thing. I can't remember, something with using radio waves to disable Kuvira's mech. It might have been Hiroshi's idea though. She also designed those hummingbird mechs.
>>
>>84356823
She was smarter than Bolin i guess since she beat him a bunch of times at Pai Sho, but then again Bolin doesn't seem to be brightest person around.

I'm with this anon though >>84356784 Asami is more of a mechanic than a straight up smart person.
>>
>>84356867
Thats was Varrick who made the emp, that i think he lucked into earlier at the EE checkpoint. He also co-designed the hummingbirds with Asami, and Hiroshi made them usefull. We don't actually know what part of them Asami designed.

She did however get full credit for the airbender wingsuits.
>>
>>84356938
Geeze Asami never got to do anything, did she?
>>
>>84356625
>Asami made it clear in book 1 she didn't have any ill feelings towards Korra because of the whole love triangle
i don't think that is stated or shown at all. I should also add, they were never good friends in the first place and magically Asami is her friend in S03. Notice that it didn't happen once. Two times, is how much they backstabbed her. Also, Korra accused her father of terrorism. Right or wrong, she is responsible to put him in jail.

>She wasn't actually that stupid
"amon is a waterbender!"

>she certainly wasn't weak
she lost several times during the show to weak opponents, that you can't deny.
>>
>>84357026
>i don't think that is stated or shown at all.
Asami says, and I quote:"I like Korra" when Mako tries to point out she was the one who initiated the kiss. Again, bad writing, but it's established she apparently doesn't blame Korra for any of this.

>I should also add, they were never good friends in the first place and magically Asami is her friend in S03
They weren't very close friends because the writers didn't give a shit about Asami, not because she was holding a secret grudge against Korra and Mako. I thought that sort of thinking died out after book 2.

>Notice that it didn't happen once. Two times, is how much they backstabbed her.
If you're talking about when Korra kissed Mako at the police station, she says she doesn't remember the fight or that they broke up. Again, Asami was mad at Mako, not Korra. She would be absolutely stupid to be mad at Korra for getting amnesia.

>Also, Korra accused her father of terrorism. Right or wrong, she is responsible to put him in jail.
And Asami is obviously mature enough to know that wasn't actually Korra's fault. Hiroshi being an Equalist would have been revealed to her eventually.

Shit I don't even like Asami and you've got me defending her.
>>
>>84357026
second part was meant for >>84356627

>>84356627
>Korra was established as a stronger fighter than Aang without the avatar state
never stated or shown. Actually, she is shown to be weaker than Aang while fighting. Writers forcing or not, it doesn't change the fact that she is losing. "The writers intended that way" is no excuse. She is consistently weak.

>having to deal with Hei Bai would also force character development on her
my point is that she could NOT deal with Hei bai because she is a zero when it comes to spirituality. She needed at least some of it on S01 and couldn't learn it in any way.

>Korra doesn't have to die defending the watertribe it would entirely depend on what happens during the fight and how they all react
she is weak, and she sure as hell would try to defend it despite what anyone tells her. Thinking she is not going to die is unrealistic.
>>
>>84356772
>since when was Korra ever fucking weak
go and count how many times she lost on her own show

>that's why the chi-blockers beat her because they were trained to beat benders and had plans for it
you call more ability/experience fighting "having a plan"?

>The water tribe had a better chance of surviving the fire nation than any other nation
oh, that's why they were almost anihilated WITHOUT Sozin's comet. With it they surely will have so much chance.
>>
>>84356685
The question to take from this is really, how does that effect the approach to Korra?
If it's conceivable for Air Nomads to have survived Sozin's Comet in this scenario, you can either have
>a) Aang (or the Air Nomad Avatar) dies at Sozin's Comet and have the FN turn towards the Water Tribes. Korra is born 0AC and, 17 years later, is frozen during the Storm, trying to protect her village. Her family are all dead and she is discovered by Sokka and Katara

Or

>b) Aang (or the Air Nomad Avatar) is captured by the Fire Nation and is held in FN prison for the next 82 years until his death, at which point Korra is born at the SWT. Her family are alive and she is raised with Katara and Sokka as childhood friends.

Both scenarios provide an interesting and depressing prospect at her first spiritual meeting with her predecessor.
I imagine she'd connect with her past life later than Aang would, so it could be built up as a moment that holds all the answers and when Korra finally unlocks it, she's either confronted with a child who was brutally murdered or someone who spent 8 decades never seeing anything outside of their tiny cell. Either way, not the help she needs.
>>
>>84357147
>when Mako tries to point out she was the one who initiated the kiss
wait, i don't think they actually discussed the kiss. Did they? because what i remember is Asami being pissed by how Mako was acting with Korra, not knowing what really happened.

>They weren't very close friends because the writers didn't give a shit about Asami
seriously, blaming the writer is no excuse. Fact is, they were never good friends in the first place, and it suddenly happens in S03 despite multiples backstabs. It's very clear that Asami SHOULDN'T be friends with them. Again, we're not discussing if she is or not.

>She would be absolutely stupid to be mad at Korra for getting amnesia.
if someone that is not even your friend kiss your boyfriend, i don't think you mind the reason. You just cut that person out.

>Asami is obviously mature enough to know that wasn't actually Korra's fault
The point is that you don't become friends with the person that put your dad in jail. Mature or not, it's just weird.
>>
>>84357147
>>84357203
Korra and Aang just aren't comparable because not only are their situations totally different, their shows are different in tone. Aang was a kid protagonist in a show aimed at kids and had the advantage of possessing a technique nobody had seen in over 100 years. Korra was a young adult in a show aimed at a slightly older audience with a darker tone, and spent 13 years learning old techniques without being exposed to new ones.

If Aang and Korra switched shows Aang would be the one getting his ass handed to him while Korra would really only lose when the plot required her to (or basically in book 2 like Aang did).
>>
>>84357151
Amon was a waterbender, they didn't think it through because she was impatient, not stupid.

She loses a lot true, but she is frequently shown to be a bending powerhouse, so she is not weak. It's writers making her job because they can't write a character that isn't physically challenged by the enemies.
Follow up to this, she was stated in season 1 episode 1 to have mastered 3 elements and excell at the physical side of bending. That is arguably more than Aang ever reached during Atla. So she is in fact a strong fighter, but again the writers don't let her win.

She would have to learn how to deal with spirits even if she couldn't stop Hei Bai. Besides Aang knew nothing about being the bridge either and he managed to learn it during that 2 parter.

She is definately going to try and defend her tribe, but she doesn't have to die doing it. She also showed that she would defer to authority from time to time so it's not unreasonable to have her run away and freeze like Aang did. Besides that was just one example.
>>
>>84357357
>wait, i don't think they actually discussed the kiss. Did they?
Yeah they did at the start of Turning the Tides in book 1.

> It's very clear that Asami SHOULDN'T be friends with them.
Ok, but she is, and she never held any negative feelings towards Korra over it. We're not talking about what should have happened, we're talking about what did happen.

>if someone that is not even your friend kiss your boyfriend, i don't think you mind the reason. You just cut that person out.
I agree, but Asami didn't do this because of bad writing. I don't know why you keep arguing this shit with me when I agree that Asami's reaction to the whole romance drama was shitty writing.

>The point is that you don't become friends with the person that put your dad in jail. Mature or not, it's just weird.
Korra didn't put Hiroshi in jail, he escaped. Technically it was Asami who did that.
>>
>>84357455
>but Asami didn't do this because of bad writing
Clarifying: it was bad writing that Asami did not cut Mako and Korra out of her life.
>>
>>84357389
You can't really use an argument with something outside of the show. Fact is, Korra lost easy battles and Aang was able to win difficult battles. People knowing about waterbending more than airbending is just another reason as to why she would fail in his place, so it doesn't help you at all.

>spent 13 years learning old techniques without being exposed to new ones
[citation needed]

>If Aang and Korra switched shows Aang would be the one getting his ass handed to him
he wouldn't even fight half of the time to begin with because he is not retarded, and saying he would lose requires a lot of assumption. Remember that airbending is what defeated Amon in the first place, someone that is a bloodbender And a chi-blocker.
>>
>>84357506
Before you try to argue about the show, you should probably watch it. Since Korra was 4 when she was discovered and trained until 17 years old she trained for 13 years. Old style because thats the style her teachers use, they're old school master ala Katara.
>>
>>84357506
>[citation needed]
She didn't even know what the hell chi-blocking was and it was pointed out on a few occasions that she was drawn to the more modern style of bending in Republic City.

Anyway, my point is if Korra was the 12 year old protagonist of a show where each season had nearly 20 episodes and did a lot of 'opponent of the week' episodes, despite her flaws (which Aang had a lot of too), she would have a lot more wins under her belt. It doesn't matter if she isn't spiritual or she can't airbend, they'd write scenarios where she could win.
>>
>>84357442
>she was impatient, not stupid
saying shit you know won't fly. That's just another name for it. Also, that was just one in many examples, like opening the portals, and going to fight Zaheer and the others by herself. That is stupidity.

>she is frequently shown to be a bending powerhouse
did we watch the same show? what part exactly?

>It's writers making her job because they can't write a character that isn't physically challenged by the enemies
Again, 'writers made her lose' is no excuse for her losing. In the end she was bested, it's how the story goes.

> she was stated in season 1 episode 1 to have mastered 3 elements
'mastered' is a buzzword used since ATLA that doesn't actually mean you're good at it. Aang also was stated to have mastered earth, and in the end in S03 Toph said his earthbending could use more work. When actually using her bending to people that don't even have bending.

>She would have to learn how to deal with spirits even if she couldn't stop Hei Bai
that's another name for "failing". My point is how much of a failure she would have been, even if she manages to get out alive from the fire nation (which she absolutely won't).

>she doesn't have to die doing it
well, that's an unrealistic expectation.

>She also showed that she would defer to authority
only when it aligns with what she wants.
>>
>>84356211
More like she would tell her to do nothing until the villain comes knocking on her doorstep.
>>
>>84357455
>We're not talking about what should have happened
I think that's exactly the point he is trying to make, what Should have been. The discussion is basically that they all have no real reason to be together.
>>
>>84357588
>Old style because thats the style her teachers use
that assumes:
1- they didn't learn new styles
2- they use old styles because they're old

Before telling people to "watch the show", be sure what you're arguing is actually part of it.
>>
>>84357894
In that case yeah, I agree, but it's canon that Asami apparently doesn't hold grudges when it comes to ex-boyfriends and the girl he left her for.
>>
>>84357789
All of her "stupid" was really about the writers forcing the plot in a certain direction, nothing more.

>what part exactly?
When she water tornados in the RC probending ring. When she "waterbombs" her cousins. Her fight with Unalaq showed alot too with and without the AS. Her ability to pick up Metal bending almost over night. Her fight against Zaheer while chained and her bending against Kuviras mech. All of those showed that she was a powerhouse of bending held back primarily by the writers.

> In the end she was bested, it's how the story goes.
Losing doesn't make her weak. It makes her lose. And the writers having it out for her does matter since we all know she should have won the majority of fights, but didn't.

>'mastered' is a buzzword used since ATLA that doesn't actually mean you're good at it.
That's just wrong. Having mastered an element means you don't need a teacher anymore. It doesn't mean you can't improve though but you far beyond a rookie. Also pretty sure Aang was never stated to have mastered Water or Earth bending

>only when it aligns with what she wants.
Like when she hid in RC despite her wish to fight Amon?
Besides losing isn't even bad if it makes the character grow, which is why "losing" to Hei Bai could have been a good thing, assuming she wouldn't learn to solve the issue like Aang did. And no it's not an unrealistic expectation at all.
>>
>>84357969
If there's one thing I've learned, regardless of your opinion on Korra, if you try to point out things she did right her haters will come up with the most ridiculous excuses for why it doesn't count.
>>
>>84357681
>She didn't even know what the hell chi-blocking was
chi-blocking is a very old technique.

>it was pointed out on a few occasions that she was drawn to the more modern style of bending in Republic City
the only style she was shown in RC was Bolin's different earthbending. Notice that she manages to defeat other benders on the tournament/on the streets with her own style so i don't think that even if there are different styles, she doesn't know/is weak to them
>>
>>84357933
>Before telling people to "watch the show", be sure what you're arguing is actually part of it.
She used old style as Bolin told us. So no the traditional teachers didn't learn new styles that weren't needed. And you're putting an assumption on me i didn't make. They use old style because that's the only styles that existed when they were taught.

So watch the show before you make yourself look retarded with questions the show explicitly state.
>>
>>84357681
>she would have a lot more wins under her belt
even when, Having knowledge of 3 elements she loses to basement-dwelling chi-blockers? I mean, it is very clear those chi-blockers didn't have much training and clearly didn't have experience fighting the fucking Avatar. So why is it an excuse for Korra never have fought Chi-blockers before, but it's not an excuse for the chi-blockers as well?
>>
>>84358020
I think this guy watched book 1 once when it first aired and then never again, because none of the shit he's arguing makes sense.
>>
File: 1463842699852.png (129 KB, 332x318) Image search: [Google]
1463842699852.png
129 KB, 332x318
>>84358054
>there's no reason this person who has had zero exposure to this certain technique would lose when first exposed to it
>>
>>84357969
>All of her "stupid" was really about the writers forcing the plot in a certain direction
That is no excuse. In the end that's the action she took. "if you write a character to be stupid, he is not really stupid" is a bad argument.

>When she water tornados in the RC probending ring. When she "waterbombs" her cousins
other benders did plenty of that shit as well, and actually win. Also, she lost that fight with Unalaq.

>Her ability to pick up Metal bending almost over night
read "the Rift". Toph's students are retarded as well and manage to learn it in one day. Metalbending was never difficult.

>Her fight against Zaheer while chained

>Losing doesn't make her weak
my point is not that 'losing makes her weak', it's that she lost and you can't claim that writers intending it that way changes that fact. Again, their intentions does not matter to what actually happened in the show. If the writers told you they intended Korra to be a boy, does she grow a dick?

>Having mastered an element means you don't need a teacher anymore
which doesn't actually mean you're good at it. Also, Toph straight out said Aang's earthbending needed a lot of work, and even in LoK people point out Aang had a lot of trouble with earthbending. And yeah, they do state Aang 'mastered' those elements. It's weird, but mastering doesn't mean you're a master.

>hid in RC
1- she should be hiding with the white lotus if she was following orders
2- she went to fight Amon

>losing isn't even bad if it makes the character grow
losing shows the limit of the strength for that character.
>>
>>84358020
>She used old style as Bolin told us
1- he didn't say 'old style'
2- that's just earthbending.

Also, Korra defeated people very easily in the tournament, and even the gangs in RC so i don't think even if she had such style it would be bad for her.

And again, the same could be used for the other side. Even if she were to know old style and the other guy knows new style, both don't know each other's style. Same for chi-blockers, none of them ever fought the damn avatar. Hell, they were basement-dwellers, most of them didn't even fight a bender.
>>
>>84358112
>there's no reason this person who has had zero exposure to this certain technique would lose when first exposed to it
chi-blockers ever fought the avatar?
>>
File: 1413644551838.png (233 KB, 477x555) Image search: [Google]
1413644551838.png
233 KB, 477x555
>>84358198
They didn't write her to be stupid. They had her do non-sensical things for no reason which is different.

>ther benders did plenty of that shit as well
Like who? Most masters from LoK didn't do things like of that magnitude without some kind of powerup. And again losing is not a sign of weakness, it just means he got the drop on her.

>Metalbending was never difficult.
It's more difficult than regular Earth Bending. Can't remember how long it took Tophs students so you might be right there, it wasn't in the Rift though.

>avatar state
Wasn't used when she was chained. I'm talking before she even got poisoned and he got flight.

>If the writers told you they intended Korra to be a boy, does she grow a dick?
You said she was weak, i'm saying she isn't. And i'm saying that writers intent has nothing to do with the discussion. Korra is strong, she is stated as such in the show, the fact that she loses doesn't make her not-strong.
As an explanation for her losing depsite being strong, i offer writers fiat.

>And yeah, they do state Aang 'mastered' those elements.
When? Also Mastery does mean that you're good at it, it doesn't mean best of unbeatable. But it does mean you're good at it.

>she should be hiding with the white lotus if she was following orders
No she shouldn't. The order was to wait for the URN Army which they did, then they made a plan with the general to take out the airfield and ambush Amon when Bumi's fleet arrives. No White Lotus involved.
She went after Amon because they got crucial information that they used too early, it was a mistake for sure.

>losing shows the limit of the strength for that character.
It's an oppertunity to grow. Losing is a positive for most of a story except the climax.
>>
>>84352714
Season 2 is as bad as the franchise gets, but the First Avatar special and the last... I dunno, four episodes are alright.

Season 3 is fucking solid. Good writing, great fights, excellent villains, and it leaves on a pretty surprising ending.

Season 4 is alright, it stumbles at parts, especially during the finale, but the buildup to it is pretty great.
>>
File: girl in the iceberg.png (698 KB, 1200x876) Image search: [Google]
girl in the iceberg.png
698 KB, 1200x876
This thread got way off-topic
>>
>>84350908
>>84353499
>>84353552
>>84353704
>>84353890
What about if you replaced the Firebending Masters bit with a field trip to one of the air nomad temples?

Korra is confronted with the guilt she still feels over not being there to save the SWT
Zuko is confronted with the devastation that his people have inflicted on the rest of the world
In the end, both learn to forgive themselves and one another and stumble upon an old archive of airbending scrolls or something that help Korra to start learning the basic forms and philosophy.
>>
File: 1411539081378.gif (132 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1411539081378.gif
132 KB, 500x500
>>84358247
He did actually say that her style of earth bending was out dated. And she started learning modern styles to participate in probending. She barely even uses traditional styles from Atla outside her one fight with the 3 gangsters.

Suppose the modern style is more efficient than the old, it would have an advantage. They would also be based on the old styles so people would be familiar with the old ones. Korra however never trained in the new moderns ones and wouldn't know them.

But chi-blockers train to fight benders. All styles of bending. The avatar is still using bending which they're trained to fight against. You also think that all equalists where the ones in the basement training, which more likely were just new recruits. We don't actually know how or where those Korra fought had trained.
>>
>>84358538
I thought something similar might work. Could even make it a point during the travels that they visit a bunch of air temples to gather information on airbending she could learn from.
>>
>>84358538
I don't see it as inconceivable that a small group of Air Nomads would have survived given >>84356685

Korra being the Avatar at this time, or more specifically, Aang not being the Avatar at this time really has an impact on what the outcome of Sozin's Comet was and how the FN have been treating the war over the last 100 years.
>>
>>84358452
>They had her do non-sensical things for no reason which is different
what do you call someone that do 'nonsensical things for no reason'?

>Like who
fucking Bolin, Tenzin pushing 3 (three) of the guys that could easily go toe-to-toe with the avatar, Mako destroying a giant robot...

>losing is not a sign of weakness
losing fights you should easily win is.

> I'm talking before she even got poisoned and he got flight
you mean when Zaheer was able to get her?

>Korra is strong, she is stated as such
and shown not to be, so even if someone said that (and i don't think they did), they are talking bullshit.

>When?
sincerely? not in the mood to look it up right now. Take only my word.

>Mastery does mean that you're good at it
except for Aang. And Zuko (the master that Aang found). And Zhao (the master that lost to zuko AND Aang). Sincerely? in ATLA anyone that had a teacher is kind of a master since that was rare.

>No she shouldn't
right on the beginning of S01 she runs from the white lotus. She only follow orders that align with what she wants. She waited because that's what she wanted to do.

>It's an opportunity to grow
in ATLA's times it means death/capture.
>>
>>84358473
"why you're wrong" - 2016 edition
>the last... I dunno, four episodes are alright
- giant Korra
- deus ex jinora
- 'you know what? let's leave the portals open'

>Season 3 is fucking solid
- Zaheer being too convenient
- 'muh chaos'
- Korra still being stupid and going after Zaheer
- the final plan of Zaheer is to imprison the fucking avatar in a mountain with a river below
- Bolin learns lavabending because fuck logic. Tenzin doesn't die because plot armor. Zaheer learns new bending technique because snowflake.

>Season 4 is alright
- Korra just doing whatever the fuck people tell her to do
- Krora still immature, leaving people worried for months not knowing where she is
- Korra losing to Kuvira
- Everything in the end
>>
>>84358757
Not stupid, because there is no reason for her to do it, none at all. It's all done to push the plot forward by the writers.

Bolin, Mako and Tenzin doesn't come close to most of what i mentioned. They're good at bending, especially Tenzin, but they don't show extreme power in their elements. Tenzin does show great mastery over his, which is probably why he pushed the red lotus as far as he did.

>losing fights you should easily win is.
Again only writers fiat. You even agree she would easily win.

>you mean when Zaheer was able to get her?
Yes, going toe to toe with someone when that restrained in movement shows her skill being very high.

>they are talking bullshit.
No they're not because she routinely shows her strenght despite losing important fights.

>Take only my word.
Not gonna do that. Which undermines your following points. Though Zhao was a master, he was also arrogant which is why he lost to Zuko, and Aang is a master airbender.

>She waited because that's what she wanted to do.
False she wanted to confront Amon, but was told not to by Tenzin.

>in ATLA's times it means death/capture
Depends on how and at what you lose. Aang lost to Hei Bai and learned from it, then he came back and helped out solve the problem.
>>
File: Sandbenders.png (571 KB, 980x480) Image search: [Google]
Sandbenders.png
571 KB, 980x480
>>84353704
I've always liked the similarities between the sandbenders and the airbenders, both in terms of bending style and life style, I wish the show would have done something with it.
>>
>>84359059
Maybe they'll make a comic with them some day.
>>
>>84358554
>Suppose the modern style is more efficient than the old, it would have an advantage
considering she defeated benders easily, no. Actually, many people argue how powerful it is: the reason they were pissed at Korra for stopping the gang is because she destroyed everything while doing it.

>They would also be based on the old styles so people would be familiar with the old ones
not necessarily. You also assumes it is based on the old one.

>Korra however never trained in the new moderns ones
we don't know that. The only thing we know is that Korra didn't know the style Bolin used.

>chi-blockers train to fight benders. All styles of bending
two conflicting things here: if bending is so different from one style to another that a new one will be such an improvement, chi-blockers can't learn it all, what to say people that actually have jobs and could barely train (they were taking common citizens). If it is "all the same" a new/old style shouldn't make a difference.

>We don't actually know how or where those Korra fought had trained
but we do know the conditions they train. They are all normal citizens. Expecting them to have experience and ability (including counters to EVERY type of bending) is ridiculous no matter what level they are in. We can't also assume that the random chi-blockers they found were highly trained. Korra on the other hand trained all her life and got owned in 3 seconds.

I should also point out: being a chi-blocker doesn't mean you study bending in-dept, you just know how to poke people; you don't study a martial art just to counter another martial art. You just get better at yours. "not knowing what your opponent will do" is part of fighting. This argument just looks like an excuse.
>>
>>84358452
Not that anon but I think many people's issue with Korra is her emotional immaturity and how she doesn't learn her lesson way too often. I do strongly agree that a character losing often doesn't necessarily make them weak, and I think the writers may have done that on purpose with Korra BECAUSE she is a physically powerful Avatar and so they wanted to make it clear that just because she is she isn't always going to win (and also obviously it's more dramatic that way).

I know she's meant to be Aang's opposite and in many ways they succeeded with that on paper I like that as a concept, but she just isn't as likeable.
>>
>>84359167
Outside of those 3 thugs, she used modern style bending. I also do believe the old styles are better, but it doesn't really matter in the discussion of wether she was exposed to modern style or not during her 13 years training which she wasn't.

>You also assumes it is based on the old one.
They are. The old styles laid the foundation for the new ones to emerge in an environment where they were exposed to each other, and then adapted for modern use.

>we don't know that
Old teaches, who where taught the old styles, where Korras teachers. Bolin uses modern style which she doesn't know. So we do in fact know she never trained in the moderns styles as she wasn't exposed to them before coming to RC.

>If it is "all the same" a new/old style shouldn't make a difference.
They have their own style which fundamentally counters bending by preventing you from doing it. Being the avatar doesn't make you immune to getting your chi blocked, neither does any other style of bending we know of.

>but we do know the conditions they train.
We know how new recruits in RC trains. Those Korra fought could have come with Amon and Liutenant from outside RC and have trained for years. It's possible they trained Chi blocking longer than Korra or that they were fresh recruit (unlikely given the situation they were in). Fact is we don't know anything about those Chi Blockers.

>This argument just looks like an excuse.
You study other styles if you're going to fight them and you develop counters against those you fight. And yeah, you don't need to be a master waterbender before learning chi blocking, you can just learn chi blocking alone. A style of fighting that counters bending by design.
>>
>>84358972
>there is no reason for her to do it, none at all
and still she did it. That's called being retarded.

>It's all done to push the plot forward by the writers
thought you said writer's intentions didn't matter

>Bolin, Mako and Tenzin doesn't come close to most of what i mentioned
i'll say it again: DESTROYING A FUCKING GIANT ROBOT

>You even agree she would easily win
"should" implying "with her level of training". Still she lost even with that amount of training because despite all that, she manages to be weak. The argument is that even training she is not a good fighter.

>toe to toe
losing is hardly 'toe to toe' and definitely doesn't show 'high skill'.

>she routinely shows her strenght
one question: are you arguing 'strength' as in 'raw power' or 'strength' as in 'being good at fighting'?

>Though Zhao was a master, he was also arrogant which is why he lost to Zuko
'arrogance' is never stated to be the reason he lost to Zuko, the professional jobber. He just lost and that's it. He is weaker. And both are considered masters despite being weak.

>she wanted to confront Amon
and was told another way Amon could be defeated. What she wanted is to deal with Amon in the end.

>lost to Hei Bai
that wasn't even a fight. Anyway, the point is that in a setting like ATLA you're most likely to be killed/captured if you lose, so expecting people that lose a lot to learn from their mistakes is not really a good option.
>>
>>84359324
For sure, i agree completely. Personally i found it really annoying to see her job all the time, and i certainly wish she'd grown more as a character.

I just find it silly to call her weak and stupid for things the writers forced into the narrative, when it obviously shouldn't happen.
>>
File: Probending Stats.png (382 KB, 778x1500) Image search: [Google]
Probending Stats.png
382 KB, 778x1500
>>84359412
Even if retarded you still have a reason. Korra didn't because it's writers fiat. The writers intention was to push the plot, so that's what happened. They put their intention into the show, it just doesn't reflect the character.

>DESTROYING A FUCKING GIANT ROBOT
By overcharging it's unstable core. It's not like he lightning shit it from the outside and it went down. He just used regular lightning bending.

>losing is hardly 'toe to toe' and definitely doesn't show 'high skill'.
Barely able to move, still manages to give Zaheer major problems capturing her. That takes skill.

>are you arguing 'strength' as in 'raw power' or 'strength' as in 'being good at fighting'?
Mainly raw power, but she did also carry the fire ferrets in probending. And showed her skill at other times.

>And both are considered masters despite being weak.
They don't say it, but show it. He doesn't take Zuko seriously which is why Zuko get's the upper hand and finishes the fight quickly.

>What she wanted is to deal with Amon in the end.
She did what she was told and waited for the fleet, despite not wanting to.

>Anyway, the point is that in a setting like ATLA you're most likely to be killed/captured if you lose
And yet the Gaang got captured quite a bit and never died. Instead they learned and grew from their mistakes and losses.
>>
File: Amon was right.jpg (70 KB, 861x929) Image search: [Google]
Amon was right.jpg
70 KB, 861x929
Daily Reminder.
>>
File: Amon was right.jpg (249 KB, 800x1010) Image search: [Google]
Amon was right.jpg
249 KB, 800x1010
>>84359654
From the Captain America thing. Too bad there isn't a better version.
>>
>>84359409
>Outside of those 3 thugs, she used modern style bending
That.. requires a lot of assumption

>it doesn't really matter in the discussion of wether she was exposed to modern style or not during her 13 years training
the point is to show that she is somehow weaker because of this, so yeah it matters

>They are
"because i say so"

>Old teaches, who where taught the old styles
and somehow they can't learn new ones? or being old and only know a new style?

>Bolin uses modern style which she doesn't know. So we do in fact know she never trained in the moderns styles
Bolin knows ONE (1) modern style that Korra didn't know about. This doesn't know she didn't know about other modern styles. Hell, even saying that there is a modern/old style is quite an assumption. It implies there is nothing in the middle.

>fundamentally counters bending
how can you counter something that is 'fundamentally' different?

>Being the avatar doesn't make you immune to getting your chi blocked
being chi-blocked doesn't make you immune to be burned alive.

>We know how new recruits in RC trains
you mean: we know how they train. I don't think when you move to another 'level' or whatever that means, you stop being a civilian and get some kind of job as a professional martial artist. The point is that, even if they were some kind of more experienced chi-blocker that fought Korra, he still much less experienced than her, that literally trained all her life. It's very implausible that they trained more than Korra. Let's remember that the second in command was eventually defeated.

>You study other styles if you're going to fight them and you develop counters against those you fight
You never know what you're going to fight. There is just no way of knowing. You train yourself how to poke better, not how to "counter firebenders". That would imply their style is simplistic enough that you could fully counter
>>
File: goe-hurricane.gif (132 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
goe-hurricane.gif
132 KB, 320x240
not that important but i was kinda disappointed the most different thing an "evil" air bender can do is just asphyxiate people, i was kinda expecting Goenitz like powers from Zaheer.
>>
Would Korra's story have been better off ending with Book 1? I know it had the stupid two-timing Mako triangle but with everything in the Avatar universe that ended up changing so drastically in the following seasons that I might've preferred it as a one-off thing and making other singular seasons about different Avatars (the Avatar Won story would still exist).
>>
>>84359612
>Even if retarded you still have a reason
so you're saying she is worst than retarded? anyway, even if not stated, she may have a reason, that still logically doesn't make sense.

>They put their intention into the show, it just doesn't reflect the character.
if the characters consistently do it, yeah, it reflects them.

>By overcharging it's unstable core
i don't think overcharging the core of a giant robot is simple at all. It requires plenty of energy, we assume.

>major problems
there was no 'major problem'. I should also point out she had help.

>Mainly raw power
she is the fucking Avatar, she can literally just go in the avatar state for that. About 'being good at fighting', she just sucks and would most likely die, as we see in the entire show. Pro-bending doesn't really reflect a real fight, and technically Bolin did better.

>He doesn't take Zuko seriously which is why Zuko get's the upper hand
that sounds a lot like an opinion, and not what really happened.

>She did what she was told and waited for the fleet
despite "not wanting", it would get to a result she wants. She didn't want to help the earth queen either, for example. But when there is nothing in for her, she doesn't follow orders.
>>
>>84359917
What can Goenitz do with wind? No idea who he is btw.

Though i would have liked to see some airblades from Zaheer, Aang did afterall namedrop that as an option in Atla.

>>84359922
I think so. I did binge watch season 1 alot following my rewatches of Atla. But since LoK book 4 ended i haven't really wanted to.
>>
>>84360034
Basically he can use wind as blades, he can also make hurricanes to keep enemies immobile or to push them in or out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7t0MfUtk58
>>
>>84360034
I remember thinking the drama was stupid (I was one of those fools who hoped Borra was going to happen in the early days so I was immediately disappointed), but the 1920's setting felt the strongest and I was genuinely engaged for the action (especially the fight on the stadium roof, Bolin getting kidnapped and later Korra's escape). I even kind of liked Korra back then, which is sad to think about now.

Also, I got way more into the competitive Bending matches than I thought I would. It was fun as hell.
>>
File: Borra2.jpg (176 KB, 1280x788) Image search: [Google]
Borra2.jpg
176 KB, 1280x788
>>84360192
I'm the same, though i also thoroughly enjoyed book 3. The fighting was actually pretty good in Book 1 aswell, and i only ever disliked Korra in the beginning of book 2, i rather felt sad about her at the end of book 4.

Wasn't that much into Probending during the show, but it was pretty good in the game. If only there had been multiplayer probending.
>>
>>84351797
I've got to admit, it'd be pretty great to see Korra kick the fuck out of Zuko at their first encounter.
It'd probably cause Zuzu to focus more intently on his training because he wouldn't feel strong enough to take her.
>>
>>84360624
And it would give him a permanent boner
>>
>>84349525
They'd a six-legged, brown murder machine.
Two teenagers, out for vengeance, goading a walking nuke into fighting a war.
Aang was the moral, pacifist centre of the original Team Avatar; Korra, Katara and Sokka all come from the same warrior culture, there'd be no reason for them not to slaughter their way through any unfortunate FN troops they run into.
>>
>>84350641
yeah but jet had a thundercock
>>
>>84351342
This was a good drive for Aang. He was a fun, goofy kid that was peaceful due to his upbringing.
Korra was an arrogant, pushy person that felt the need to help but mainly with fists/bending.
>>
How does no one realize Bataar Senior is Sokka's son. He is the right color, smart, clumsy, treated poorly like Toph, and fulfils the wish of Tokka. Plus this makes Opal of superior blood,becoming from both Toph's dynasty and Sokka's, which is something Bryke is ought to do.
>>
>>84365526
Because Suyin's more likely his daughter
>>
How would they get anywhere without Appa?
>>
>>84349525
Well for one Korra would be 12 so much shorter than she is in season one.
>>
>>84357506
>Fact is, Korra lost easy battles and Aang was able to win difficult battles.

The strongest fighter Aang beat was Ozai.

Pretty much all of the main Korra villains could have beaten normal Ozai and a few could have beaten comet Ozai.
>>
>>84367139
So I'm not alone on that.

Wonderful
>>
>>84350702

Correction: Korra would be Azula's slave.
>>
Important question,
If Air Nomads survive and not-Aang is Korra's airbending Sifu, can we make not-Aang a girl?
>>
>>84359612
mako is a scrub
>>
>>84367864
Is she a pretty girl?
>>
>>84368130
>>84367864
Wouldn't Girl Aang just look like Jinora?
>>
File: koh.jpg (33 KB, 827x350) Image search: [Google]
koh.jpg
33 KB, 827x350
>tfw we never got to see season 5 where koh wanders through the open portals and starts stealing everyone's faces while Korra and Asami are off scissoring somewhere
>>
File: poetrytheshow.png (2 MB, 956x1375) Image search: [Google]
poetrytheshow.png
2 MB, 956x1375
>>84349525
No. The team member they needed from the original was Aaron. Bryke can't write for shit and are the D&D of cartoons.

I just realized the reason Bryke thought it made sense for Korra to air bend to save Mako at the end of Season 1 was because it was like pottery of how Aang saved Sokka with earthbending the first time. Completely fucking missing the point of why Aang needed to be in that situation.
>>
>>84368222
>I just realized the reason Bryke thought it made sense for Korra to air bend to save Mako at the end of Season 1 was because it was like pottery of how Aang saved Sokka with earthbending the first time
I think you're reading too much into a coincidence
>>
>>84368182
>tfw we never got to see Korra confront Koh and simply deal with his bullshit by beating the piss out of him.
>>
>>84368258
I don't think so. I think they stupidly thought it was a perfect parallel in their mind. The whole thing never made any sense, this at least gives a possible reasoning in such a baffling decision.
>>
>>84359612
Shit, Bolin workin his ASS off.
>>
>>84368281
>beating the piss out of him

She would have to not show emotion, and she isnt exactly the pinnacle of restraint, her face would be gone in like 20 seconds
>>
File: 1413165434108.jpg (77 KB, 464x720) Image search: [Google]
1413165434108.jpg
77 KB, 464x720
>>84356211
>>
>>84356211
>FUCK SHIT UP
Oh, Kyoshi fucked shit up. Like how she fucked up the entire Earth Kingdom.
>>
File: you.gif (415 KB, 480x238) Image search: [Google]
you.gif
415 KB, 480x238
>>84368182
>>84368281
>>84368322
>>
>>84368322
he cant steal her face if she suplexes him first
>>
>>84357814
I don't know how the murdertar meme started, was it just her bluntness?
>>
>>84368182
Koh could go to the human realm anyways without portals.
>>
>>84367458
Not that guy, but I'm not so sure about who had the strongest villains. I can see Amon and Avatar Unalaq beating normal Ozai, but once he's comet powered it would be a lot more even.

My reason for saying that is that Amons bloodbending seems to have limited range. Korra got away on the mountin, he couldn't stop her airbending at him. And Comet Ozai has a lot of range on his fire and lightning, so i think if Ozai is capable of staying out of range he could win. I will admit it would be a hard task and if Amon ever gets close enough Ozai loses.

As for Avatar Unalaq, I'm just not sure exactly how strong he is. It basicly comes down to how much of a powerup his avatar state is in comparrison to the Comet.

And i don't consider Kuvira or Zaheer on Ozais level of skill, and they have no powerups like the comet.
>>
>>84369089
Koh's bullshit, to be honest.
He just seems to do whatever, without any clear definition. There isn't any real rhyme or reason to his abilities or motives.
>>
>>84369728
To be fair though the whole portal thing didn't exist in Atla, spirits were more forces of nature rather than transdimensional invading aliens.
>>
>>84369177
Kuvira has giant robot.
>>
>>84369844
That is useless in a personal fight. I couldn't do anything to the people attacking it in the show and while they couldn't hurt it either, a Comet powered Ozai could probably do what the hummingbirds did and get inside it.
>>
>>84353576
Yeah.

We did.

It hurts.
>>
I could imagine Asami starting off evil in this scenario like the writers originally intended, and Aang would convince her to join his side through his philosophy and good natured personality.
>>
>>84370360
Equalist!Asami is great.
>>
>>84351342
>Story would be much more boring
How the hell would having a protagonist that actually wants to fight be more boring?
>>
>>84370810
This, it'd be good.
The FN would hit back harder if the reemerging Avatar gained the reputation of a vengeful murder monster. You could have soldiers that are genuinely terrified of her strength and ruthlessness.
>>
>>84369844
And Korra did not defeat the giant robot
>>
>>84370434
Too bad Bryke waifu'd her to be useless
>>
>>84372867
On a scale of one to ten, how would you rate Bryke? This includes ATLA and LoK.
Thread replies: 228
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.