[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone else feel that Steven Universe is kinda overrated.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34
File: image.jpg (83 KB, 750x885) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83 KB, 750x885
Does anyone else feel that Steven Universe is kinda overrated. It's not an awful show but it tries to do a lot and ends up not doing it well. I just binged watch this show up until (what I think) is the most recent episode where they play baseball. It flip flops between being a drama, comedy, SoL and action show without doing any of it particularly well. The non-musical number songs are excellent though. Also what kind of bugs me is how quickly plots are resolved. Malachite was built up for a whole season and then just was defeated in a few minutes, same with the cluster. This show would benefit from being 22 minutes instead of 11 too, but I don't think the staff, who are all pretty much newbies, could handle that.

What are your thoughts on this show?
>>
It's alright.
>>
>>84348900
It's a shit show.
Liking it is a meme.
>>
No.
>>
NO ,OUT OF 7 BILLION+ PEOPLE YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE WHO THINKS LIKE THAT. YOU ARE THE ABOMINABLY PERSON OUT OF TRILLIONS OF PEOPLE, YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE OF HAVE UNIQUE THOUGHTS.
>>
File: 1441224893641.gif (164 KB, 540x280) Image search: [Google]
1441224893641.gif
164 KB, 540x280
>>84348900
>What are your thoughts on this show?
I enjoy it very much and I'm really excited for Summer of Steven.
>>
eh, i think its ok. With how little good cartoons there are right now, its understandable that it gets the praise it does.
I can't name 10 cartoons airing right now that are worth watching.
>>
>>84348934
Stop shilling.
>>
Honestly, drop the show and watch an anime. It's very apparent how this show is going to keep playing out now and people who say it's gonna be different are just delusional.
>>
It's not as overrated as Rick & Morty.
>>
>>84348952
Not really. Waaay more people wank SU over R&M.
>>
>>84348943
>Loud House
>Harvey Beaks
>Uncle Grandpa
>Star Vs
>Gumball
>We Bare Bears
>Clarence
>Miraculous Ladybug
>Wander Over Yonder
>Gravity Falls
All better than SU.
>>
Yeah, I dropped it after the first season.

I don't care about the lore
Steven's annoying
The girls aren't hot and no amount of waifuposting will change that
The plot is paper thin
And the action is lame
>>
File: 1427600975910.png (192 KB, 846x431) Image search: [Google]
1427600975910.png
192 KB, 846x431
>>84348944
That's right, Summer of Steven, starting July 18th. An episode every weekday! That is starting ten (10) days from now, and will air the remaining episodes from Season 3 (three).

I have a lot of excitement for it. The enthusiasm is very riveting. It's very good.
>>
>>84348900
I find it to be an entertaining show. Overrated might be a bit strong, though i would say it's not the most original thing ever especially if one takes into account anime which the show is heavily influenced by.

I don't think changing the time thing is gonna help or hurt anything, also everyone on this show is veterans.
>>
>>84348946
Fucking this. They've become as delusional as AT fags.
>>
>>84348970
>>Gravity Falls
>airing right now

Isn't Wander ending very soon too?
>>
>>84348970
>UG and Clarence

GO FUCK YOURSELF, COW!!
>>
>>84348971
>The girls aren't hot and no amount of waifuposting will change that
You must be a blast in the TLH threads.
>>
>>84348926
Not being able to realize not every thing is literal is a sign of autism.
>>
File: 1408602065018.gif (2 MB, 450x297) Image search: [Google]
1408602065018.gif
2 MB, 450x297
>>84348970
>All better than SU.
They're alright, but they don't quite stack up.
>>
>>84348984
Literally no one likes SU. I wouldn't be surprised if it got cancelled.
>>
>>84348971
So what did you watch it for in the first place?
>>
>>84348900
>Malachite was built up for a whole season and then just was defeated in a few minutes
Not really. Malachite showed up/was mentioned, like, once after her debut, and the fight itself was neat enough.
>same with the cluster.
I agree that it felt kind of anticlimatic, but let's be real, that's mostly down to hiatuses.
>>
>>84348946
>It's very apparent how this show is going to keep playing out now and people who say it's gonna be different are just delusional.
What are you talking about?
>>
>>84349070
>that's mostly down to hiatuses.

I didn't experience the haituses though. I just watched the whole thing this week.
>>
>>84349019
They beat SU in terms of quality, animation, writing and just about anything else a cartoon needs.
>>
>>84348970
>Uncle Grandpa
Fuck outta here.
>>
>>84349093
Hiatuses are just an excuse SU fags use when someone criticizes their show.
>>
>>84349004
I don't watch that either, but I caught an episode. Seems meh. The girls in that show are also literally one note.
>>84349069
Because
>I thought the lore would be interesting
>I thought there would be more fighting and more exploration to worlds in the Gem system
>I thought Steven would grow to be less annoying and more useful
But the thing that really killed the show for me is how melodramatic it is.
>>
>>84349002
>>84349118
>not liking UG
>not liking Clarence
It's like SU fans enjoy eating shit.
>>
>>84349070
>that's mostly down to hiatuses.
It's really not, though. I could see it MAYBE being down to the short length of episodes, but then I'm also more inclined to put it down to they couldn't come up with a better conflict.
>>
>>84349102
Star vs. is way worse than SU. I honestly don't get how anyone can sit through that ADHD shit.
>>
>>84349139
I like Clarence, Uncle Grandpa is fucking annoying.
>>
>>84348934
>>84348984
>getting excited for Summer of Steven
>it shows Greg in a tux and a ponytail
Fucking dropped. I hope you all enjoy the taste of shit.
>>
>>84349154
Whoa, stop yourself. Run a check.
>>
>>84349137
>>I thought Steven would grow to be less annoying and more useful
Did you skip episodes or something? That's exactly what happens.
>>
>>84349137
>>I thought there would be more fighting and more exploration to worlds in the Gem system
When did the show ever advertise itself as an action show where they explore the cosmos?
>>
>>84349137
>>I thought the lore would be interesting
What did you find uninteresting about the lore.
>>
>>84349188
With a name like Steven Universe I wouldn't blame people for thinking that.
>>
>>84349154
Star is way better than "WAAAAAAAH! We cry every five minutes when our milk spills!"
>>
>>84349160
>>it shows Greg in a tux and a ponytail
Okay I may just not be autistic enough for 4chan anymore, but why the fuck is that a problem?
>>
>>84349212
>With a name like Steven Universe
What can you glean from a name like that?
>>
>>84349227
He probably has a beach bum fetish and is offended they're ruining her perfect pure waifu.
>>
>>84349227
Type "Greg in a tux" on desu storage for real autism.
>>
>>84349244
A kid name Steven who travels the universe.
>>
It's an enjoyable show with an interesting setting and entertaining character dynamics. It's not the second coming or anything, but I like it.

Also that BGM.
>>
>>84349188
>The gems are all warriors
>they've been in wars
>They've got weapons and powers
>They fight monsters that come to Beach City
>they travel to different lands/worlds/places to get magical items
And they sideline all that cool shit for romance slice of life swarbage. I was baited.
>>84349198
I dunno. Like I said, I stopped watching around the time they fought Peridot and the orange dyke, more or less. There was talk of a cluster, dead moms, lying for sex and yellow diamond. I don't know.
>>
>>84349276
That's like saying Fullmetal Alchemist is a show about an alchemist who listens to metal.
>>
>>84349315
>And they sideline all that cool shit for romance slice of life swarbage. I was baited.
>the show has only been advertised by everyone as an SoL show with some drama and action.
You weren't baited, you're just mad they didn't pander to you.
>>
File: Analysis.jpg (168 KB, 903x572) Image search: [Google]
Analysis.jpg
168 KB, 903x572
>>84348900
Steven Universe does a good job of building interest over a long period of time because it accomplishes lore and world building incrementally over the course of all it's episodes. On a weekly airing show, this was an excellent move, each new episode contained some nugget of mystery that would maintain interest until the next week. Even though Steven Universe is primarily an episodic comedy this format gives it more of the narrative interest of a serial even if the development in a given episode was cryptic or metacommentative.

Keeping this in mind Steven Universe is probably a bad show to binge watch. A crumb of lore designed to stoke the interest of a fandom over the course of a week might not seem like good payoff when the real secrets get revealed after another 30 minutes of watching.

In many ways the CN's bomb format has failed Steven Universe in ways that it wouldn't have something like Adventure Time. The episodes are held in stark relief with each other and the attempts at experimentation appear stranger and the paced worldbuilding appears more deliberately vague.
>>
>>84349317
But Fullmetal Alchemist is about a Alchemist who has a Fullmetal arm
>>
>>84349315
>>The gems are all warriors
>>they've been in wars
>>They've got weapons and powers
>>They fight monsters that come to Beach City
>>they travel to different lands/worlds/places to get magical items
But advertisement wise, it always focused on Steven and the SoL aspect, with the drama getting a spotlight during In Too Deep. It never pulled a Tenchi Muyo.
>>
>>84349351
But his brother is literally a suit of metal armor, so shouldn't he be the FMA?
>>
File: 1465218009245.png (123 KB, 700x500) Image search: [Google]
1465218009245.png
123 KB, 700x500
I like the show, but it's been a long time since we've had show with lore and an overarching plot, so it's only natural that people started latching onto it, for better or worse.

Also, Peridot is cute.
>>
>>84349427
That's actually brought up in the series
>>
>>84349434
>but it's been a long time since we've had show with lore and an overarching plot

Gravity falls?
>>
>>84349462
Steven Universe has both superior lore and plot.
>>
>>84348900
anything remotely good in this generation is overrated.

Especially on this board.
>>
>>84349427
They actually often mistakenly call the other brother the Fullmetal Alchemist.
>>
>>84349349
Don't forget the hiatuses after each bomb where we take every tiny hint for the next crop of episodes, and maybe some things that weren't even meant to be hints, and continuously dissect them and overhype ourselves, until when the payoff finally comes it will probably be underwhelming no matter what it is. And any question left unanswered at the end of a bomb leaves us feeling frustrated and cheated as we have to wait and see if it will maybe be picked up in the next one.

Waiting a week for a new episode is reasonable. Waiting half a year in between a week's worth of episodes is annoying as hell.
>>
>>84349483
>outing yourself as a max pleb
>>
>>84349462
Gravity Falls was similarly popular and praised by critics.

Until the end. Which wasn't SO bad but was a letdown.
>>
>>84349462
The finale soured GF for /co/.
>>
>>84349462
I know I picked up SU after GF ended. I still don't think it's as good but at least there are new eps coming out.
>>
>>84348900
Guys, I've got some bad news.
I'm Steven
>>
>>84348920
You're a meme.
>>
>>84349259
Fucking this. Greg is my unwashed husbando, why are they turning him into some dapper asshole? Give me back my smelly husbando.
>>
>>84348900
>Overrated.
Compared to what exactly? Teen Titans Go or Power Puff Girls?
>>
>>84349721
There's way better shows compared to SU.
TTG and PPG aren't even that bad.
>>
>>84349713
I am sure by the end of the episode Greg's life will return to its status quo.
>>
>>84348900
Consider this. You're right. However, the children watching this that are discovering they are soft little faggots, theyLOVE this show.

In seriousness, for young people I imagine this is the first time they've seen anything like this show. To them, it is a God tier cartoon. And that's acceptable too.
>>
>>84349740
Do they have the same theorycrafting potential as Steven Universe? If no, I'm not interested.
>>
>>84349748
Because when SU maintains status quo it's alright, but when AT does it it's a crime.
>>
>>84349765
Why does a cartoon need "theory crafting potential"? Can't a cartoon be a cartoon?
>>
>>84349748
You can't say that for sure anon.
Greg is supposedly Sugar's favorite and this is her favorite episode.
>>
>>84349817
Because I personally find theorycrafting to be the best part about Steven Universe, to be honest.
>>
>>84349227
>>84349259
It's inconsistent storytelling. Why are you making the Homer Simpson style slob into some extra from a Seth McFarlane number?

Plus, Greg and Steven can't hold an episode on their own.
>>
>>84348900
It's completely overrated, but it's still one of the best shows on right now.
>>
>>84349856
That's retarded. Who watches a cartoon for theories?
>>
>>84349881
That's not Gumball, Clarence, Star Vs or TLH.
>>
Since SU has failed me on many different levels and since the Crewniverse won't give me back the time I wasted, I'm doing it my way with Steven Universe: Rebirth.

Unlike the show it's based on, Rebirth will be more plot driven, more action packed, more grounded and best of all, filler free.
>>
>>84349884
Theories is not the main reason why I watch Steven Universe, but it is those theories that keep me interested in it.
>>
>>84349799
I don't like SU maintaining status quo in most instances. For example if Lapis and Peridot never leave the barn I'll be pissed. But I don't think making Greg a singing, tap dancing billionaire for the rest of the show sounds like a good idea and I really doubt it'll happen.
>>
>>84348970
>Star Vs
>Gumball
>We Bare Bears
>Clarence
>Gravity Falls
literally all the same tumblr art style

>Loud House
>Wander Over Yonder
same but less common 90's Nick cartoon art style
>>
>>84349870
Homer has been in plenty of showtuney musical numbers in the past and implying that Seth McFarlane invented them is a crime.
>>
>>84348900
Steven Universe.
>>
>>84349903
>TLH

Please stop
>>
>>84349940
>But I don't think making Greg a singing, tap dancing billionaire for the rest of the show sounds like a good idea and I really doubt it'll happen.
Honestly, it's better than what their doing with the character now and they're obviously running low on ideas.
>>
>>84349967
>same but less common 90's Nick cartoon art style

literal moron
>>
>>84350039
Wasn't the plot of SU planned way in advance? How can they run out of ideas?
>>
Overrated is the most worthless description you can use. Everything is overrated by people. Everything is also underrated. Rate the show, don't make threads rating people ratings.
>>
>it's another "/co/ hates SU" episode
I thought /co/ the anime would be better.
>>
>>84350076
Easily. One way might be that they have all of the big season finale type plot points decided but are having trouble padding the seasons with filler between them.
>>
>>84348900

Steven Universe was a Trojan horse. It was pitched as an action series with a soft and sentimental quirky side, but really was just a progressive slice of life series with rock lesbians.
>>
>>84348970
>>Wander Over Yonder
>>Gravity Falls
That are airing right now
>>
>>84349740
>nuPPG

yeah no it's the worst thing on now
>>
>>84348900
Steven Universe is a pretty damn good cartoon, but the glacial pacing hurts the narrative. It does explore a lot of very deep and mature themes for a kids show, but it pulls its punches when it comes to actually showing conflict.

Plus the fact that its "progressive" themes are so controversial can cause some people to hate it on a conceptual level even if they haven't actually watched it.

I'm all for a wider variety of female characters in cartoons, but even I'm getting tired of literally all the gems being female. (Fucking bismuth jfc)
>>
>>84350251
>explore a lot of very deep and mature themes for a kids show

?
>>
>>84350147
It was never pitched as an action show; it always presented itself as a SoL show with a dramatic side. Or did you forget who made this show?

Also, I'd hardly call SU progressive.
>>
>thoughtful OP
>cancerous replies
Is this bizarro /co/?
>>
File: dimorphism_UDUx161.jpg (219 KB, 760x596) Image search: [Google]
dimorphism_UDUx161.jpg
219 KB, 760x596
>>84350251
>I'm getting tired of literally all the gems being female

Their species just apparently doesn't have members that are masculine gendered. I think it's meant to balance out with the many shows before it where you'd have most characters or most of a represented race be male oriented, minus maybe one or two token females.
>>
>>84348970
I'd put it below Harvey Beaks, Wander Over Yonder, and Clarence. A tad bit above Gravity Falls, and above the rest there.

Anyways, to address one of the only specific points OP makes, I don't think 22 minutes would be a good idea at all. The fight with Malachite itself was fine, the only thing more time would've added was more traded punches really. The problem is they didn't have any prior fights with her. They built her up as a threat but never had any kinda episode where they found her terrorizing anyone and fight her but lose. They didn't spend any time coming up with a plan or anything. That's why I'm perfectly ok with how the cluster resolved. It was 10 minutes after several episodes of proper build up, and while they stopped it from forming, the cluster itself still exists as a plot point for later. It's not like we can see what the cluster looks like formed without the earth dying.
>>
>>84350465
Yeah, /co/ is usually ALL cancer.
>>
>>84348970
>Loud House
stopped reading.
>>
>>84349986
Those were just throwaway gags that were in character for Homer.

Greg in a musical number wearing a tux goes against his whole washed out rocker persona.
>>
>>84348900
it's a cute, airy show but nothing they set up ever has a satisfying conclusion.
>>
>>84350498
>I'd put it below Harvey Beaks, Wander Over Yonder, and Clarence
Why below? I hate SU with a passion but why those shows?
>>
>>84350695
We don't know the context of that scene yet. It's odd for him but I wouldn't say there's no reason for it before we, you know, know the reason for it.
>>
>>84350708
Why do you think that is?
Personally, I think the writers are retards.
>>
>>84348900
I agree with you. It's my favorite show airing right now, but people praising it like it's one of the best shows ever made are delusional. It clearly has some problems with pacing and sometimes it's so cheesy it's cringy, especially in the Peridemption arc.

However I think Season 1 gets a lot of undeserved hate.
>>
>>84349018
okay autist
>>
>>84350726
There was no context in the scene itself. They put Greg in a tux even though it goes everything he stands for because hurr durr it's fun.

This is the effect filler has on this show.
>>
>>84350695
Idunno, I think it's normal for washed out rockers to go through all kinds of phases when they're ready for their midlife crises. And I think it's possible Greg always kind of admired the high life a little, but just never had the money for it. He liked Little Butler.
>>
File: 1466177805430.jpg (61 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
1466177805430.jpg
61 KB, 1024x576
I don't like how this show is shameless lorebait that never pays off.
Seriously, one episode they flip the finger to the Big Bad over an important project, later they just send a quirky mook squad to investigate.
Fuck you. Any other galactic empire would have been at the planet's doorstep next week. It just makes it look like the fearsome Homeworld is run by incompetent idiots.
Oh, but Yellow Diamond made le ANGRY face, so scarryyyy. Fuck off.
>>
>>84350741
>but people praising it like it's one of the best shows ever made are delusional
They're no more delusional than people who say their favorite ice cream flavor is the best flavor of all time.
>>
>>84350783
Why would they waste time on a Peridot?
It's clear they're low rank Gems not worth getting buttblasted over.

If anything, they'd be idiots for wasting resources on something so low on the food chain.
>>
>>84350472
But why, though?
>>
>>84350766
>it goes everything he stands for
How so? Greg is a pretty chill guy and I'd imagine he'd know better than to get all uptight over a wardrobe change. He's more likely to go with the flow and play with the fun.
>>
File: 1459361637901.png (162 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1459361637901.png
162 KB, 700x700
>>84350841
Why not?
>>
>>84350741
>cheesy it's cringy, especially in the Peridemption arc
Is it because Peridot stopped being a "badass"?
>>
>>84350841
Because

That's the only answer
>>
>>84350712
because they're better?

especially WOY. it does the optimism/redemption theme a lot more organically.

i still think SU is great though
>>
>>84350847
He's a product of the sixties. He'd reject the glamor and decadence of America. Why do you think he lives in a van?
>>
>>84350796
Are you talking shit about Rum Raisin, m8? Because Rum Raisin is literally the best flavor and whoever disagrees with me is a tasteless moron.
>>
>>84350783
She thought that the planet was going to explode and sent a low-ranking squad to retrieve Jasper because they were expendable. If Steven hadn't stopped the Cluster they would have arrived right as the planet was blowing itself up, so I'd say that it was a good call. She didn't even care about Peridot and didn't think that the Cluster could be stopped by what she assumed was just Peridot and maybe Jasper.
>>
>>84350841
no one EVER said this about the namekians.

in fact there are irl species of lizards that are all female but no male only species whatsoever.
>>
>>84348970
>Loud House
kek, but I suppose some people really are stupid enough to feel that way
>Harvey Beaks
literally what?
>Uncle Grandpa
bait harder
>Star Vs
nah, its good episodes are really good but by god that show has some terrible episodes I mean the entire human cast other than Marco is awful and every episode centered around the class is bad
>Gumball
I mean if that is your taste ok, but I don't agree
>We Bare Bears
meh, not really a fan of San Francisco hipsters the show
>Clarence
what is show even about?
>Miraculous Ladybug
I mean I love that show but if you think SU goes no where fast with its plot Miraculous really goes no where fast
>Wander Over Yonder
nah, maybe its 3rd season could have been since the show kept getting better but it wasn't better than SU yet
>Gravity Falls
maybe at its high point it was better than SUs low point but seeing as it ended on a really low point and will never be able to recover from that now, it will never be better than SU ever again

honestly I doubt you watch any of these shows and are just spouting nonsense but whatever
>>
>>84350841
To "stick it to the man" and be progressive speschul snowflakes, I guess.

I don't necessarily support the message there, but I can appreciate the change of pace for the sake of change. I am a little tired of sausage fests myself so I'm personally surprised when somebody complains about the one taco fest going on.
>>
>>84350860
No, stop repeating this every thread. I don't have anything against the new personality of Peridot but she was really obnoxious at times.
>>
>>84350769
No it isn't; Greg has become content with his lot in life and has no need for the high life. And Little Butler was just a sitcom.
>>
>>84350834
>>84350918
They just seem stupid and arrogant for just leaving so many loose ends unattended.
>>
>>84348900
>unironically watching tumblr the cartoon
Dear god
>>
>>84350923
I was actually talking about the comic he posted, but it's hilarious how you guys get your panties in a twist over nothing.
>>
>>84350930
>To "stick it to the man" and be progressive speschul snowflakes, I guess.
So were Namekians sticking it to women and being progressive?
>>
>>84350901
>>84350901
>product of the sixties
Is he? I thought he was a 70s kid.

I figured he lives in the van because he lets the gems live in his house.

I really don't think he's rejecting wealth, "reject" seems like kind of a negative word to apply to Greg. More like he's embracing poverty.
>>
>>84350947
>No, stop repeating this every thread
This is the first time I've said that.
>>
>>84351015
>buzzwords and memes: the post
>>
>>84351026
Yes
>>
>>84351015
>tumblr the cartoon
Stop posting that as if it has any meaning.
Tumblr is not an adjective.
>>
>>84351026
No, they were following the mainstream and doing what was normal and established. And there's nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>84351044
Exactly. So why is he acting like a pompous asshole?
>>
>>84351089
What about the Themyscirans? How are they any different from the Gems?
>>
>>84351111
>So why is he acting like a pompous asshole?
Is there another clip from the episode because so far it looks more like he's acting a guy who is excited and happy over the large amount of money he's come into.
>>
>>84351089
so it's not ok to have all women races because it hasn't been done before? are you serious?

either admit namekians are just as retarded as gems or that both are acceptable.
>>
>>84351135
>excited and happy over the large amount of money he's come into.
As he's being a complete ass about it.
>wearing a tux and ponytail
>breaking shit for no reason
>forcing Pearl to dance and sing with him
>>
>>84350712
I'm not cynical and hate everything? Those 3 feel the most focused and consistently well written/made. They have overall more episodes I would rate highly and even give 10/10s to certain episodes.
Harvey Beaks is my favorite show at the moment, balancing out the funny and the cute, and does the old cartoon thing of creating its own world and characters that aren't just a reflection of current trends or nostalgia. Wander Over Yonder doesn't have as much to it, but still has a lot of those elements and is probably the best at preserving physical and animated humor. I would rate it higher if it didn't feel like too many of the plots repeat themselves. Clarence is a good mix of nostalgia and current times, without being absorbed by it and focusing whole episodes on it like We Bare Bears.

Gravity Falls I want to like more but almost all of season 2 was a fumble for me, stopping short of making a good running plot but failing to find the time for more fun one off adventures like the first season. The first like 4 episodes of season 2 looked promising but all downhill from there.
Star Vs and Loud House I feel like /co/ likes the concept better than execution. They have great setups, but it's rare they make me laugh or have me engrossed in anything going on. Loud House just feels like it lacks creativity in episode premises while Star doesn't do enough with good premises they have.
Miraculous Ladybug, Uncle Grandpa, and We Bare Bears just eh. They exist, I can watch them, but I never find myself eagerly waiting for the next episode or enjoying them enough to take part in any discussion.
>>
>>84351186
>As he's being a complete ass about it.
You're reading too much into it, he's just having some fun.
>>
>>84351186
>decides to take his son on a nice vacation
>even agree to bring along Steven's sort of mom even though he knows she hates him
>attempts to have fun with her
truly a real villain

how dare he want to be friends with Pearl
>>
>>84351265
And Steven Universe is a irredeemable piece of shit . Gotcha.
>>
>>84351133
Technically they're not. But I think they were originally written as some guy's wet dream. They're all very sexy. And Wonder Woman's whole story usually starts with her leaving Themyscara and then her story has a more balanced gendered cast going from there.

Also nobody said SU was the first to create an alien race dominated by females, only that the motivation behind doing so (may have been) to provide contrast to the greater amount of cartoon shows of its type that do this with their cast of males. Cherry picking examples that are somewhat similar to SU or laboriously counting the number of mostly female populated cartoons to mostly male populated ones for comparison in an attempt to disprove this theory is pointless.
>>
>>84351169
> it's not ok to have all women races because it hasn't been done before?

I... Didn't say that? I don't think either show is wrong. I DO think they're both acceptable.

...And also that they're both kinda retarded when you overthink it.
>>
>>84351287
He knows how Pearl feels about him so why is he provoking her? Either he's being malicious or ignorant.
>>
>>84351307
Why does there have to be a motivation? Can't they add it just because?
>>
>>84351279
Again, he's being an ass about it.
The "fun" he's having is at other people's expense.
>>
>>84351353
>He knows how Pearl feels about him
If Pearl actually does still hold a deeper dislike for him she's done a good job hiding it considering she's shown to be willingly interacting with him on her own on a few occasions, like when she helped him fix his van.
>>
>>84351353
I mean I think he is a little confused about how Pearl feels about him at this point

there are times she seems to act like her old self and times she is reasonable and nice with him like when she fixed his car

I think he knows that if Rose hadn't come between them they could have been friends, I think Steven also wants them to be so he is trying for Steven's sake when he would have just left it alone otherwise
>>
>>84348900
Can we have some villains already?
>>
>>84348900
People find it difficult to admit that something is merely mediocre. Emotional bias makes everything extremely great or extremely awful.
>>
>>84351409
No because it would displease the Tumblr overlords.
>>
>>84351373
They might've. But seeing how butthurt the creators get when some fans nag them about adding male gems gives me the idea they were going for more than "just felt like it." I do admit that my saying they had this particular motivation is pure speculation on my part, though.
>>
>>84351398
And other people's gain. He tipped that one guy $100.
>>
>>84351453
In their defense a lot of people can't take "just because" as an answer. Besides just wanting to make her own magical girl anime, Sugar's train of thought was "this is just what I want and it's not like I'm taking anything away from male viewers by doing it".
>>
>>84351482
also its probably getting fucking annoying once you realize how many males are insecure to the point that they need "male gems" in order to be able to like and enjoy the show and won't stop spamming you about the idea
>>
>>84349483
Uh... No it doesn't
>>
>>84351304
I like Steven Universe a lot. It had a low point at the days after the lapis finale, the season 1b days, but while it's low points got lower with really bland townies episodes that had no magical angle, the high points still kept rolling in.

It's a slow I appreciate a lot for being the red mage of shows. Some of everything, master of nothing in particular. But while people constantly zero in to say "This particular element isn't the best it could be! This other show does it better!", it does it all generally well and mixes it together to be more than the sum of its parts, which gives it a large amount of variety and can often compliment itself well when it goes from piece to piece.
>>
>the guy complaining about an attire saying it ruined a character

>the guy who couldn't be arsed to watch the damn thing

>network shills

>arguing about the most inane things as legitimate aspects

>autism levels off the chart

>loudfags

See this is why SU thread are a bad idea 90% of the time
>>
>>84350655
Way better than Steven Cryniverse
>>
>>84350755
Upset?
>>
>>84348934
>Summer of Steven
It's a lie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QllJ-45lNI
>>
>>84351409
You don't need villains, you just need a good story. The problem is SU doesn't have either.
>>
>>84349349
>Steven Universe is better without breaks and should be binged
>Steven Universe shouldn't be binged watched

Can you faggots make up your mind or just admit that this show has bad pacing?
>>
These threads won't change any minds.

Gem fags are the worst. They never seem to look past the glaring flaws of the show, instead pretending like they don't exist. Meanwhile regular people can point and identify both the good and bad of Steven Universe while offering decent criticism to better the show.
>>
>>84352024
>They never seem to look at the glaring flaws
>>
>>84348900
Overrated on tumblr
Underrated on /co/
Overanalyzed and forced into an agenda by both
>>
>>84352093
Right?
>>
>>84351912
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CpKsFdAY5w
You life is one big lie
>>
>>84352093
Underrated on /co/? The fuck do you mean? It's overrated both on tumblr and here.
>>
>>84352093
Pretty much this.
>>
>>84352093
I don't think we underrate it so much as terribly polarize it
>>
>>84349817
At least cartoon with plots can free us from the "hurr durr anime is better than western" meme, given that someone picks up these shows' legacy and makes stuff that's even better
>>
After about three years on air, how do you feel overall about Steven Universe?
>>
>>84352138
Every thread including this one gets filled with people saying how shit it is and how it's sjw trash and basically treating it like the second coming of the friendly horses
>>
>>84352194
People with differing opinions? Le gasp!
>>
>>84352138
There's a WHOLE lot more people who explode saying it's the worst show than there are saying it's the best, and even implying that is good or great but not the best will cause a shit storm. I've been trying to give a reasonable explanation for what I like about shows here and this >>84351304
Is the only reply I got.
>>
>>84352093
>Underrated on /co/
just because some people don't like it it doesn't mean it's underrated. You fags even have your own general in here.
>>
>>84352194
Well any popular thing has a shitty fanbase anon, it's just your job to choose whether or not you want to be a part of it.
>>
File: greg and pearl dancing.png (952 KB, 1136x640) Image search: [Google]
greg and pearl dancing.png
952 KB, 1136x640
So all you lot got baited in this thread huh? I was hoping we could discuss this episode from the other thread and where Greg and Pearls relationship is going
>>
>>84352287
Is this episode out?
>>
>>84352194
I find it goofy for people to champion a fandom, it seems to childish. You can enjoy something but when you reach fanboy status I think it's time to drop out.
>>
>>84352324
nope, but its coming on the first week of the SoS
>>
>>84352287
NOPE

LE TUMBLR REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, MUH TLH, Y NO MALE GEMS THO?, TUXEDO? DROOOOOPPEDDDDD

Enjoy.
>>
>>84352345

>tlh

Don't you fucking dare bring that shit in here. We didn't do nothing.
>>
File: 1467858256572.gif (3 MB, 303x333) Image search: [Google]
1467858256572.gif
3 MB, 303x333
>>84352287
Why don't you make a general? Isn't there a general? How is some anon's honest opinion "bait"? Is bait now considered any form of trying to start a discussion, or showing any disinterest or dislike for the show?
Are you really that conceited?
>>
>>84352396
All I here is people calling it tumblr.
>>
>>84352380

>literal dindus
>>
>>84352446

Well, explain what the fuck we do? You have nothing against us.
>>
>>84352271
The worst part of any fanbase is the baby-eating serial killers. On the other hand, there are plenty of good people there, too. Any fanbase has bad parts and good parts.

The trick is that the bad actions of certain people, even when they a) actually happened and b) are actually bad, don't taint the show or the fanbase, they only coexist with them. People who want an excuse to hate a show or a fanbase or an opinion will look for evil deeds and act like they're emblematic of the group, but from a logical standpoint, babyeaters are only emblematic of babyeating.
>>
>>84352380
TLH shitposters are literal falseflagging faggots.
>>
>>84352435
All you see is people disliking the show. It's not as great as some of you guys think it is.
>>
>>84352396
Generals are banned because of rampant shitposting. There is no general at the moment for some reason despite having new info, this is the only SU thread. Overrated is not an opinion, it's an opinion of an opinion. The only thing said about the actual show is the argument over the 11 or 22 minute format which I would love to discuss if anyone would like to actually discuss the show rather than trade "IT'S A GOOD SHOW!" "IT'S THE WORST SHOW!" back and forth.

Would anyone like to discuss their opinion on 22 minute vs 11 minute? I feel like while some things could be made into 2 parters, that 11 minutes is most appropriate for the show. Almost every 22 minute show including action shows have to fill the void of time of an average episode with a B-plot. This is impossible because the premise of the show is that it all takes place from Steven's point of view. Further more you'd have to select half the episodes to not exist, and they won't be only good or only bad episodes either.
>>
>>84352577
Yeah. I know.
>>
>>84352588
>Would anyone like to discuss their opinion on 22 minute vs 11 minute?

No because you sound like a passive-aggressive faggot.
>>
>>84352588
Maybe not 22 but 15-18 would be good
>>
>>84352123
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CpKsFdAY5w
wake me up...
>>
>>84348995
It's been over for over a week.
>>
File: 1465845131937.gif (2 MB, 395x313) Image search: [Google]
1465845131937.gif
2 MB, 395x313
>>84352645
>I would rather continue discussing nothing with people who are aggressive at nothing than discuss something because the guy trying to start discussion might be aggressive to me in subtext
Ok, I'll be outwardly aggressive then. You're a faggot.
>>84352653
Maybe some day in the online future of netflix, we can make shows that don't follow a strict minute format, but for now, we have to pick and chose. 11 minutes work for most of the plots. The few it don't work for I'd rather they just made more 2 parters for. The finale of this season is gonna be a 3 parter, so hopefully that's enough time for them.
>>
People who cry about the lack of male representation in the form gems, obviously looking past the main protagonist are just trying to get a reaction from ass-blasted fans that are happy to give them passive aggressive responses.

It wouldn't be a bad thing to ask for male gems if the fans weren't so cancerous to give reasonable responses. But instead the we're treated with copious amounts of femails, nu-males, and even the staff themselves ready on the helm to shoot people down by calling out 'toxic masculinity', or go watch the 'Avengers.'

They regard this show with such high praise, calling people ignorant or sexist who don't agree. They use it to push political agendas on the populace who just couldn't give a fuck other than be entertained by a cartoon. The fandom is complete shit, and I have no idea how any self respecting person can proudly and knowingly associate themselves with it.
>>
>>84352833
This
>>
>>84348900
This show can be good with same amount of musicals definetly less drama more action and twenty two minutes length. It is okay as it is now but definetly is overrated and fandom is batshit insane.
>>84349934
What is SU :Rebirth?
>>84350251
I am cool with gems being female. I think it is just nice to see something different than usual.
>>84350741
Agreed except Peridemption part
>>84351025
How about making what you are refering to clear next time? I was writing a reply until I saw this you know
>>
Maybe a little overrated, but the music is great https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJP7r5beD1c
>>
Peridot is shit. Always has always will be.
>>
>>84353348

I'll find you, and kill you.
>>
>>84352577
All you see is people liking the show. It's not as bad as some of you guys think it is.
>>
Thoughts?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=j38aX4JxINQ
>>
>>84349967
>literally all the same tumblr art style
famicom?
>>
File: 1467178627280.jpg (33 KB, 322x396) Image search: [Google]
1467178627280.jpg
33 KB, 322x396
>>84353405
That only works if I haven't seen it.
>>
>>84348900
I agree, but I think the forced drama is the worst part.
>>
>>84353407
Fucking brilliant.
>>
>>84350251
Because it's kinda nice having a show where there is a token male among a predominantly female cast of an action show that is aimed not just at young girls, which is pretty much unheard of in children's animation.

>"Gah, boys can't possibly want to see girls in their cartoon"
was the attitude until the late 90's when Powerpuff Girls came along and had a prodominantly male viewership... Then after 15 years of shit and a failed attempt to make "Cartoon" network into a network showing live-action shows, they finally decided to put the lessons they learned, in the 90's, into practice.
>>
>>84353527

Someone who enjoyed SamFlam shouldn't be getting uppity about what other people like, anon.
>>
It is truly overrated because the entirety of the fanbase on tumblr, and at least some people here thing it's the greatest thing ever for not being AS BAD as the rest of CN's shows (and a lot of Nick/Disney's).

It is certainly overrated by definition, but it's still a really great show.
>>
File: twitter.png (503 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
twitter.png
503 KB, 1280x720
>>84354233
Someone who enjoyed SamFlam recognizes that a show can't be liked by everyone.
>>
File: 1467508007355-co.png (242 KB, 704x727) Image search: [Google]
1467508007355-co.png
242 KB, 704x727
>>84349155
UG has some pretty good episodes.
>>
>>84348926
You, do, know that 7 billion+ people don't actually watch SU, right?...
Because 99% of them have jobs, families, and lack of investments within the lack of proper technological eco-structures to sit down and watch this shit show, right?
Please, for the sake of SU haters or those actually good SU fans, fucking shut the fuck up.
>>
>>84349055
that's not what the word literally means
>>
>>84349884
Well, obviously he does
what a silly question
>>
>>84354337

You misunderstand me. SamFlam was a show with flaws that people still enjoyed. Could you imagine if every thread had been filled with people constantly complaining that people were having fun and talking about it while pointing out the obvious flaws?
>>
>>84349967
This is a misunderstanding. It's actually the community in Tumblr that copies the cartoon's style. SU's style is currently the show that is mostly influencing Tumblr. I see a lot of artists that are trending in SU's lips and simplified limbs.
>>
>>84348970
only one in that list that applies is gumball
>>
>>84354583
There were a lot of people complaining about the turns of the series. It wasn't considered bait or trolling or anything similar.
>>
File: opal.jpg (75 KB, 631x353) Image search: [Google]
opal.jpg
75 KB, 631x353
>>84354607
>and simplified limbs.
Noodle limbs are actually an adventure time and regular show thing. Say what you will about SU, but they actually brought back bone structure and the subtle curves that would come with each limb.
>>
>>84354717

And yet you could also talk about the show in a positive way without people jumping down your throat. Plus, many of those flaws were actually bad enough to be funny and therefore worth talking about.
>>
>>84349002
>hating cow
>>
>>84349155
UG is more reliant on being silly but a lot of the time it's pretty funny.
>>
File: image.png (128 KB, 508x251) Image search: [Google]
image.png
128 KB, 508x251
>>84354440
>Uncle Grandpa will be cancelled before he gets a crossover musical with Brak
>>
>>84348900
> but I don't think the staff, who are all pretty much newbies
That sounds about right (though there ARE people who aren't newbies on the staff, like Ian JQ prior to him leaving, and Raven Molisee)

I think both alex hirsch and JG quintel both talked about it in a podcast once
>>
>>84349349
The crew mentioned that they recently (probably referring to seasons 4 and 5) started writing with bombs in mind. And that they had already changed up how they were handling episodes (around the episodes airing now) once they realized that CN wasn't gonna air the show weekly with the only big hiatuses being between seasons
>>
File: 1443738139214.jpg (22 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1443738139214.jpg
22 KB, 500x281
This thread sucks
>>
>>84348944
Two of those are cancelled nigga
>>
>>84348926
>billions
>trillions
make up your mind tbqh
>>
>>84355605
>Reasonable discussion about why the show isn't as good as people claim
>THREAD SUCKS, I WANT MY HUGBOX!
>>
Remember when saying anything even slightly negative of Steven Universe made the SU DEFENSE FORCE accuse people of shitposting?
>>
>>84356416
Oy vey, why are you denying the 6 gorillion?
>>
>>84356836
You mean like this very thread?
>>
>>84348984
Invader Steven
Violent Steven
Emo Steven
Vanilla Steven
Lazy Steven
Composed Steven
Neurotic Steven
>>
>>84356903
Yep. That's what happens when you make Tumblr the Cartoon.
>>
>>84356754
>projecting: the post
Or maybe he said the thread sucks because of how no one is discussing the show?
>>
>>84357208
There's plenty of discussion of the show, just nothing you like to see.
>>
I'm starting to think that /sug/ should have stayed on /co/. At least it would keep the /sug/ posters someone where to discuss the show.
>>
>>84355597
Are you actually quoting that without using it as satire?
>>
>>84357244
Yeah, it's understandable that SU has flaws like any other show.
>>
>>84357254
Soon as the show comes back we'll be back to one thread (most of the time) and shitposting threads will likely be banned with the legitimate non-generals by indiscriminate mods.

I can't wait.
>>
>>84357254

Wait. /Sug/ left /Co/?
>>
>>84349227
Shitposter-kun decided that Greg in a tux is bad and has been spamming that notion for a while.

Nobody else gets it, but he's really upset about it.
>>
>>84357405
Yeah, how didn't you notice that?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.