[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How is it even possible that ATLA was so perfect?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 11
File: 0gaang.jpg (73 KB, 716x521) Image search: [Google]
0gaang.jpg
73 KB, 716x521
How is it even possible that ATLA was so perfect?
>>
File: mind blown.gif (2 MB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
mind blown.gif
2 MB, 200x200
>be Americlaps
>make a "lol it's anime" cartoon with a generic anime premise
>somehow it's better than like 90% of anime
>>
>>84348176
We make everything better than everyone else, from rock music to sitcoms to food.
>>
>>84348185
But usually when we make a not-anime show it's complete dogshit.
>>
>>84348140
>perfect

Season 3 says otherwise.
>>
>>84348140
Not perfect, but it's the best non-anime animated series of all time.
>>
>>84348176
the majority of anime is mass-produced garbage to be fair

still ATLA was pretty incredible in that it happened at all. the animation, scale, continuity, detail in world-building, characterization, the closest that we ever got to that was gargoyles. i'm amazed nick allowed this show to ever happen.
>>
>>84348185
That's wrong on all 3 accounts, thou sitcoms is arguable, which makes Avatar even more amazing.
>>
>>84348140
I would be right there with you, I mean, I could see your point, were it not for the final episode cop-out.
>>
>>84348204
kill yourself my man
>>
>>84348223

This, Batman The Animated Series and Beast Wars were pretty much as good as we'll get for western cartoons.
>>
>>84348140
It's not. It was a decent show but had a ton of problems.

If it were released in a medium where serious, serialized stories weren't almost non-existant, it would be extremely forgettable.
>>
File: NintendoSuperGuide.png (130 KB, 333x250) Image search: [Google]
NintendoSuperGuide.png
130 KB, 333x250
>>84348223
>There are people who genuinely believe this
>>
File: Aangie.jpg (77 KB, 500x700) Image search: [Google]
Aangie.jpg
77 KB, 500x700
>>84348204
>>84348272
>>84348634

Man, I think that people on this board usually blow it out of proportion, holly shit, its like you guys are unnable to enjoy anything...one mistake and them it becomes a major point that take away the joy. How even live like that?

The only thing wrong with it, was that they should have lampshaded it earlier on the previous seasons, but in itself is fine.
>>
>>84348776
>holly shit, its like you guys are unnable to enjoy anything
No, we just don't pretend that something that's far from perfect should be called "perfect".

Also, having a shit resolution to your story's conflict is not a nitpick that you can ignore. It's one of the most critical parts of a story. If that part of doesn't work, then your story doesn't work.
>>
>>84348776
>The only thing wrong with it, was that they should have lampshaded it earlier on the previous seasons, but in itself is fine.
That wouldn't have helped.

The problem with the ending is that it completely solves both conflicts for Aang, instead of forcing him to actually overcome anything himself and grow as a person.
>>
>>84348881
Not him, but are you one of those guys that spout:
>reeeeeeeeeeeee Aang should have killed Ozai!

Because the real deal, was show that Aang by sticking with his air nomad principles managed to be an even greater avatar.
>>
is there a /co/ show that can compare to avatar?
>>
>>84349454
There were a bunch that could have compared had they not been canceled after 1 season.
>>
>>84348140
>It's 2008, I'm 16
>I catch the second half of "The Storm" at my grandmothers house
>Think "Wow this is great how could this bigbudget feature length animated film go under my radar"
>Realize I am watching NIckelodeon and that it's a fucking tv show
>Marathon the whole show when I get home
>Feels like Mike & Bryan made a show just for me
>Has stuff I never thought I would get to see in a cartoon: detailed martial arts choreography, Eastern spirituality, worldbuilding, serialization
>And it's good too! Like all the characters, love the writing
>Think maybe the world isn't such a miserable place, after all this show exists

And then Korra came out of the closet and I got old and now I don't care
>>
>>84348204
actually

S2>S3>S1

this is a fact
>>
>>84349567
but ATLA S2>S3>TLOK S3> ATLA S1<TLOK S4(Except for the last scene)<S1<S2<S4(Last scene
>>
>>84348140
>Stars Aligned
>Prophecy Fulfilled
>Baby Sacrificed
>>
>>84349049
No. The problem wasn't that Aang didn't kill Ozai.

It was that he didn't have to make any decision at all.

It's not "sticking by your principles" if there is literally no downside to choosing that path. Aang didn't learn to face his problems, but instead continued to hide and avoid them until they were fixed for him.
>>
>>84349654
I'd put LoK s1 above LoK s4.
>>
>>84348204
Season three was such an experience.

The last 10 episodes premiered in the same week.
>>
>>84348176
I thought it was animated in Korea or just outsourced also it's premise isn't really generic plus it came at a time when everyone thought all anime was getting more serious for some reason
>>
I dunno it was pretty good but it did have some noticible flaws
>>
>>84348140
It's not perfect, but not once did they do that thing where you hear a character's voice speak in an echo when trying to get across what they're thinking, and instead relied on human interaction and visible cues.

It gets a pretty big + for that in my book.
>>
>>84349654
Why do people insist that literally any season of TLOK compares to any season of ATLA
TLOK S3 was good, but only in comparison to the rest of the series
There was way more bullshit in TLOK S3 than there was in ATLA S1
I feel like there was only one scene in the whole of TLOK S3 that even compared to ATLA and it was when Tenzin was fighting off the lotus
Other than that, it was a weak season, Bolin developing lava bending powers and being able use them so competently to beat Ghazan was a bigger asspull than Aang's final battle with Ozai
At least with ATLA they actually explained how everything worked and talked about how it might happen
>>
>>84349687
an acceptable substitution
>>
File: Beach.jpg (187 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
Beach.jpg
187 KB, 720x480
>>84349733
>and instead relied on human interaction and visible cues.
Like having the characters say what they were thinking out loud.
>>
>>84349714
>animated in Korea
Everything's animated in Korea, it's nothing exceptional that ATLA was.
Regular Show is animated in Korea for God's sake. Way more Western shows are animated in Korea than in the US.
>>
>>84349794
like when aang discovered Gyatso's body he went on that 10 minute rant about how he was upset

oh wait
https://vimeo.com/103026842
15:50
>>
>>84348223
>it's the best animated series of all time. FTFY
>>
>>84349862
No, instead they have Katara do it:

>"Aang, I know you're upset! And I know how hard it is to lose the people you love! I went through the same thing when I lost my mom!"

"Subtle" is not the word I'd use.
>>
Interesting place for Toph to be positioned
>>
>>84350143
What would you rather have them do
Have katara try to reach out to aang by giving him a series of thoughtful glances or by just standing and trying to wave him down

When someone is upset, when someone is being incredibly destructive because of their emotions, that's how you interact with them
It's not supposed to be subtle, Aang has the power to wipe out a small nation and Katara is trying to get him to not explode
Subtle isn't even a word that anyone used before now
>>
>>84350143
>communication is bad writing
>>
>>84350252
>>84350227
I'm saying using that as an example of showing instead of telling doesn't work.
>>
>>84350252
Nowhere was it accused of being bad writing.

But anon tried to use it as an example of characters thoughts not being directly stated to the audience, when it does just that.
>>
>>84350302
But it's an example of showing instead of telling did work
We understand how Aang is feeling, his rage and sadness, because he goes out of control and starts blowing things up
That's pretty much as basic as you can get in the "show don't tell" situation
The problem is resolved through talking, but that doesn't mean it's a failure on the part of the writers, especially because it's not "telling instead of showing", it's dialogue
>>
>>84348140

A great idea with an amazing, talented team to polish it to its full potential.

Shame Bryke decided to pull a Lucas with Korra, it could have been just as great.
>>
What did they do in their adult years?
>>
>>84350430
I mean it wasn't just Bryke being Lucas with Korra

Nick seriously fucked them over and constantly fucked with the production of Korra

Also for the record, Sokka is totally the father of Toph's second daughter
>>
>>84348634
>literally doesn't change the outcome of the last fight
>imperfection
wat?
>>
>>84350553
Fuck around the clock
>>
Every time I watch this show, I enjoy myself beyond belief. It blows my mind how good it is, and how rewatchable it is. Almost every aspect of it is top tier. Of course if isn't perfect, Lion Turtle being an example of it, but even the shittier episodes are fun to watch.
>>
File: yes.png (59 KB, 182x245) Image search: [Google]
yes.png
59 KB, 182x245
>>84348255
>implying that Japan makes better rock music than America

kys, not even Japan believes this
>>
It's crazy how many good characters there are. All of the gang feels very real, has fantastic development, and are very lovable. Even Aang is fantastic. Ozai is probably the only bad character in the show.
>>
The combat system is top tier. Super simple, basesd off of reality, looks very cool, versatile, doesn't get boring.
>>
>>84350644

Ozai isn't really bad, flat and simple maybe.
>>
>>84350553
Be avatar and do avatar stuff, raise kids with katara.

Raise Kids alone and be police chief.

Be Firelord.

Be watertribe chief and move to suburbs. Also possible die protecting new avatar.
>>
>>84348140
it lacks sjw influence.

nuff said.

sjw's, progressives, liberals are the worst thing to have ever happened to animation.
>>
>>84350676
Yeah. All the worst stuff about Avatar is still miles ahead of most shows. People forget how amazing it is, but here in jewland they still show two episodes a day, so I get a constant reminder.

Peole will compare Steven Universe to Avatar. It can't even compare. It's still alright, but in terms of art, characters, powers, plot, and humor Avatar was literal GOAT for western comics.
>>
>>84350713
Jesus Christ stop being such a paranoid faggot
>>
>>84350644
Ozai isn't a bad character at all. He's the ultimate test of Aang's pacifism and his design and Mark Hamill's delivery make him pull everything off with charm. He's a simple villain but he's not poorly written.

>>84350663
It's the best. I wish people took more time to appreciate how perfect bending is as a magic system.
It's like Tetris, it's so simple and universal, yet at the same time it provides a lot of possibilities.
>>
>>84350638
they have superior noise/math (rock) and the greatest comfycore on earth

Noise:
see
midori
boris
number girl
usagi
mass of the fermenting dregs

math:
toe, enough said

comfy core:
shiina ringo
moe and ghosts (highly recommended, japanese scatted hip hop, hell yes)
misato kinoshita
dj krush
world's end girlfriend
>>
>>84350748
Ozai is simple because he can be. He represents the fire nation. Both Zuko and Aang fought against ideals, As well as the people who represented those, Azula and Ozai.
>>
>>84350614
People keep pointing lion turtles, but really.. They don't change anything. Aang won before energybending. It just adds information about the topic that started since S01.
>>
>>84349454
The closest I can think of is wakfu but that's not a total 1:1.
>>
File: NwTPtLP[1].gif (3 MB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
NwTPtLP[1].gif
3 MB, 480x360
>>84350791
>mass of the fermenting dregs
>>
>>84350838
The rock is what bothered me the most. He might have lost if a rock of all things didn't hit his scar.
>>84350748
Every time I think of creating a show, I can't,because I know I'll never be able to compete with Avatars power system
>>
>>84350570
Don't blame Nick. A 13-episode storyline is easily doable. They just fucked up.
>>
>>84350838
>They don't change anything.
Only because of the OTHER asspull.
>>
>>84350553
Die
>>
>>84349654
In my opinion its
ATLA S2 > S3 > S1 > Korra S3 > S1 > S4 >> S2
>>84349762
I don't really get it either. I find the first season of avatar to be written very well on the whole.
>>
>>84350883
The rock didn't bother me much because at that point we all knew the Avatar was the only way to win.
>>
>>84350748
>He's the ultimate test of Aang's pacifism
Or he would've been if they didn't shit the bed.
>>
>>84350713
>sjw's, progressives, liberals
u do realize these are the same people who made korra ending and also the whole thing with non violent combating the evil without killsies where nobody diesies (almoast) and other progressive lessons and liberal values? The problem with the shows labeled "sjw, progressive, liberal" are not that they are made by the corresponding individuals, but rather that these liberals are often happen to be fags at the same time. ATLA/Korra producers are just as liberal or progressive, they are just not so gay about it.
>>
>>84350866
if you like that shit, hit up eureka by kinoko teikoku
>>
Anyone else think Batarr Sr. Is Sokka's kid? Right skin tone, smart, goofy, Toph treats him like shit. Plus it would appeal to Tokka shippers, and make Opal the best girl by blood.
>>
>>84350899
I mean Korra wasn't originally made to be a 13 episode story line, it was made to be like a mini series and then Nick suddenly demanded it be turned into a full 13 episode season which led to rushed rewrites.

then they were basically forced to rush out a season 2 as well

season 3 was the best season and as far as I can tell nick didn't mess with it

season 4 had to cut an entire episode from itself in favor of a clip show because nick randomly decided to slash Korra's budget
>>
>>84350716
>in terms of art, characters, powers, plot, and humor Avatar was literal GOAT for western comics.
Not even close.

Avatar had good characters, but it's humor was decent ar best and it's plot was a major qeak point.

SU actually has handled it's conflict resolutions better by having the characters actually matter. They have agency in overcoming the conflict, and the resolutions are thematically appropriate.
>>
>>84351001
If TLOK was going to originally be even shorter than 13 episodes, then there's even LESS excusing the shit they crapped out.
>>
>>84350946
Korras ending was complete shit though. So i don't know if you're trying to prove his point. And it seems most here atleast agree that Atlas ending could also have been handled alot better.
>>
>>84350585
It neuters the entire personal conflict for Aang.
>>
>>84351001
The budget cut for season 4 was made before they started working on it so they could have taken it into account.
>>
>>84351007
Give an example of where plot is bad with Avatar? Minus one or two expecrions it was fantastic.

Humor is great in literally every episode brother. I know it's SUbjective, but come on.
>>
>>84350430
It didn't reach it's full potential, though. There are lots of dings that could've been buffed out.
>>
>>84351041
The story was smaller, things like the love triangle drama was literally created just to pad time

I also think Tarlock was adding and Amon wasn't originally going to be defeated in the end, the original idea wasn't another grand fantasy adventure like Aang had but more a tease at what the grand adventures of Korra might be
>>
>>84348140
I credit the one overarching plot spread across all three seasons as the reasons the show is so enjoyable, on top of good characters, good writing, good animation, and a unique world.
>>
>>84351102
The ending is the big one. The climax of your story is the most important part, and if you remove both the personal and physical conflict from it you're left with dog shit.

Avatar's strength came from moments where it's characters fleshed themselves out. It's plot points were generic at best.
>>
>>84351007
Literally every character is necessary.

Aang is the protag. He must master all four elements to defeat the Firelord and restore balance, ans he must do it before the comet.

Katara Is the moral center, and must teach Aang watervebding.

Sokka is the intelligent one that keeps them on path. Without Sokka they wouldn't even get to the north pole. Sokka also goes through his own struggles, and goes from being pathetic to finding courage and being a man.

Toph needs to teach Aang Earthbending. Less developed than the rest, still a great character.

Zuko has his own deal going on. He must do even more, plotwise, to teach Aang firebendinf. This involves his banishment, excommunication, betrayal of his uncle e.tc.

I could go on. Azula, Ozai, Iroh. Plotwise they are all important and have agency.
>>
File: 1434091130355.png (1 MB, 1667x1933) Image search: [Google]
1434091130355.png
1 MB, 1667x1933
>>
>>84351047
I'm saying that the ability to provide good narrative, convey valuable messages and a satisfying ending has nothing to do with the author's conscious or unconscious self-identification as a member of any social movement or whatever. People ( >>84350713)
who try to reduce a work of art and it's author to a single label are just idiots who are too lazy to think and analyze, who want to feel being smart without actually using their intelligence for that matter.
>>
>>84351219
Aang's agency was robbed from him every time it mattered.

In Book 1, he gets possessed by a spirit that does everything for him.

In Book 2, he's shot before he can do anything.

In Book 3, the AS takes over, and the only choice he had to make is taken away from him by the Lion Turtle. When one option gives you everything you want and nothing you don't, there's no real choice.
>>
>>84351248
I think his point was more along the lines of authors pandering to sjws etc. to the detriment of their work.

And those movements weren't as prevalent during Atlas production which is why it lacks that focus as opposed to something like LoK which suffered in part because of it.
>>
>>84351322
I don't think he descriminates
>>
File: 1457485254858.jpg (33 KB, 1194x669) Image search: [Google]
1457485254858.jpg
33 KB, 1194x669
>>84348140
>Great story telling.
>Good Character Development.
>Great pacing.
The whole series should have ended with "The Search" animated special.
>But then we would be out of our Ice Princess waifu.
>>
>>84350638
You do know there are other countries besides America and Japan right? Besides the best rock and TV is British.
>>
>>84352828
>best rock
debateable, but I concede there's plenty of good rock
>best TV
god no
>>
>there are people in this thread who actually think SU is comparably to TLA

What happened to /co/?
>>
>>84353580
>people
you mean the one person?
>>
>>84348185
>food
To be this brainwashed, you turn to shit everything you touch regarding to food.
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.