[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What did the series do right?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: Batman_Arkham_series_logo.png (90 KB, 447x215) Image search: [Google]
Batman_Arkham_series_logo.png
90 KB, 447x215
Some can argue as the series continued each game got worse, but what did the games hit spot on or do better than much of the source material?

I think Scarecrow is the standout example of a character that is better in these games than he is in almost all of his other multimedia appearances.
>>
>>84250600
They made Batman sort of cool. He's still shit though.
>>
>>84250600
They turned Scarecorw into Freddy Krueger, but it was cool.
>>
>>84250600
>Some can argue as the series continued each game got worse
Asylum to City was largely a step forward, better visuals, better trials, better story (especially the climax), fit in a significant amount of the villain gallery, improved combat, better quickfire options for most gadgets, etc. Level design suffered as a result of the jump from Metroidvania level design to open world, but otherwise I think thematically Batman is more suited to open world anyway.

I don't really know about Arkham Knight though. Way too much bullshit padding, even compared to City. Most of the interesting villains were already used in City so you get really underdeveloped stuff like Professor Pyg and Firefly. Combat was a step sideways, new enemy types and enemy defensive options were interesting but you'd end up having your combos fucked up because the game targets the wrong person. Total horse shit ending, makes me appreciate Titan Joker by comparison
>>
>>84250700
Personally, I think City's story actually got a bit worse. Too many villains all vying for attention, Strange's plan making no fucking sense, that tonedeaf romantic subplot with Talia. Joker's part is pretty good but everything else was shit, imo.
>>
City > Knight > Asylum

I can't pinpoint why Knight is worse than City, I think the story was so much better and the gameplay was really fun as well.

And Origins not only was terrible, but ruined the canon as well. Fuck off did Batman start 5 years before asylum happened.
>>
I'm trying to finish Knight right now and it's a slog. City is the best by a pretty wide margin, although Origins has the best storytelling and boss battles. Asylum was a huge step forward, but it can't compare to the open world thrills of the later games (the lack of open world gliding alone makes it borderline unplayable after spending time with any of the later models).

I think City is the best because it cribs most of its villains and its general feel from TAS and Denny O'Neil comics. The story also builds coherently as you unlock more and more areas of the city and the combat is perfect. Solid easter eggs and perfect side plots round out the best experience. Only drawback as another Anon pointed out is the dungeon design with all the backtracking.

Origins is a reskin with a bigger, dumber map and none of the cool easter eggs, but the story is great and it has the best batsuit design.

Knight fucked everything up with the Batmobile. It just isn't fun. I'll occasionally feel powerful in it for about 30 seconds during a chase and then it's just tedious. The tank stuff is awful and it's literally 20% of the game. Just an egregious choice. I'll never get to 100% completion on the game because of it. Also, the story starts strong and then gets progressively dumber and dumber. You never feel any sense of menace the way you do in the other games with the Joker and Ra's. The mercs basically worked in City but here with all the drones and tanks and shit, you get something that doesn't really feel like classic Batman anymore. The city map design is also overcomplicated with all the different levels. Finally, it's just overstuffed. The side missions are padded out egregiously. By the time I got to the sixth body or whatever in the pyg plot, I was just like "Fuck this." It's too goddamn much. Some of the quests can't be completed until much later in the game, but you would never know it, and stuff like the tank quests and Apc chases have the difficulty turned up to 11.
>>
>>84250600
I like Solomon Grundy
Hammer and Sickle should cross over to the comicverse
I think they handle Ivy and Catwoman fine

Drake and Babs was desu.
>>
>>84250600
Each game is an improvemnet in gameplay, except that fucking batmobile.

Also, Origins was the best.
>>
I haven't auctualy played any of these since city I should check the rest out.
Also games for Windows live fucking sucks I gave up on getting my preorder bonuses to work.
>>
>>84251509
You mean Talia or Selina?

I don't even think the game was sure.
>>
>>84250600
Just started playing Asylum for the first time.
Bretty gud.
Gameplay is pretty simple, but I feel like it's still more engaging than, say, Uncharted Raider 7.
But then maybe I'm just distracted by all this awesome voice acting and the top-notch presentation.
>>
Anybody got the pictures of that godawful remaster there making of asylum
>>
Asylum > City > Origins > Knight (i really fucking hate the Batmobile parts)
>>
>>84255231
It's on hold now
>>
>>84255566
Only for a month, isn't it?

I remember reading somewhere No, it wasn't /v/ that they cheaped out and had some chinese studio to do the remake. No idea how accurate that is but it sort of fits the bill
>>
File: return to arkham.jpg (892 KB, 1524x563) Image search: [Google]
return to arkham.jpg
892 KB, 1524x563
>>84255231
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.