[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why was it so good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6
File: Scooby-doo-on-zombie-island.jpg (115 KB, 331x494) Image search: [Google]
Scooby-doo-on-zombie-island.jpg
115 KB, 331x494
Why was it so good?
>>
YOU HEAR THE SCREECHING OF AN OWL
>>
>>84241513
It had a self-referential quality that blew my 8-year-old mind
>>
rock song
>>
good animation, creepy art style AND THE MONSTER ARE REAL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrDu-1WdDgI
>>
>>84241532
YOU HEAR THE WIND BEGIN TO HOWL
>>
Good quality animation

Interesting "post Mystery Gang" setting

Slightly more serious plot

and ITS TERROOOOOR TIME AGAIN
>>
Cajun werecat waifus.
>>
>>84241513
Let's be honest here, it was the song, everyone remembers the song.
>>
IT'S TERROR TIME AGAIN
>>
The animation, it was godly for its time and as a kid blew my mind.
>>
File: brock.gif (842 KB, 500x540) Image search: [Google]
brock.gif
842 KB, 500x540
>>84241513

A revival that updated and paid respects to the original. The gang looked back on their past as simpler times. They grew up and the people that grew up watching them could relate. Great animation, nice little mystery, and a twist on a concept made stale by all the Scooby imitators of the 70s and 80s.

And yeah, the music was great.
>>
File: bonerinudcingcatladies.png (127 KB, 330x192) Image search: [Google]
bonerinudcingcatladies.png
127 KB, 330x192
>>84241906
Lovely tanned and older were-cat waifus
>>
I remember watching this when it aired on CN for the first time and being scared shitless of the Moonscar reanimation scene from his bones and the decapitation part where he has the head upside down

The horror parts from a little kids perspective were amazing, especially if you grew up on the SDWAY show
>>
>>84241760
>THE MONSTER ARE REAL
Yeah. it's one of the few Scooby episodes/films where this holds true . . . and they pull it off really well.
>>
>>84242930
Was this the first ever instance of Scooby Doo ever having "the monsters are real" twist? Cause thats probably the reason why this is so beloved
>>
>>84241513
It's the Scooby Doo movie that should have been. The perfect follow-up to the original series. They kind of start with the same plot point as the later live action - the gang splitting up - but what follows is not a mean-spirited unfunny drivel for lobotomised stoners. They all moved on, matured, got jobs and stayed friends. No forced conflicts, no out of character moments. Plus there's a fantastic mystery in Louisiana's bayous with zombie confederates and pirates.

Am I the only one that sees similarities in the werecat themes to the 1982 erotic horror Cat People with Nastassja Kinsky?

Anyway, I love this movie. It deserved to be in the cinemas.
>>
>>84243004
I mean technically Scooby-Doo and the Ghoul School had real monsters but that doesn't really count.
>>
>>84243142
Ghoul school was waifu bait.
>>
>>84243004
There have been loads of incarnations over the years with supernatural elements, like 13 ghosts.
>>
>>84243170
IIRC, most of those were spin-offs and the like though.

Zombie Island was the first time "mainstream" Scooby had real monsters. Again, IIRC.
>>
>>84243213
Nearly every 80s incarnation of Scooby Doo had real monsters, including The New Scooby Doo Mysteries. It was A Pup Named Scooby Doo that returned to the "the monsters are guys in masks" thing.
>>
>>84241532
>>84241780
Is it me or was that song ripping off Thriller hard?
>>
THIS TIME
THE MONSTERS ARE REAL
>>
>>84243301
AND THEY WILL BE REAL BASICALLY EVERY MOVIE AFTERWARDS
>>
>>84243284
Yeah no. Thriller is an upbeat dance pop tune while Terror Time Again is alt rock, whatever that means
>>
>>84243272
70s Scooby: Fake Monsters
80s Scooby: Real Monsters
90s Scooby: Fake Monsters
00s Scooby: Real Monsters (outside of WNSD)
10s Scooby: Fake Monsters+Eldritch horrors
>>
>>84243418
>Eldritch Horrors
>Includes a villain that escapes their trap, does what he came to do, and fucks off laughing in the distance while Fred has a complete emotional breakdown

Man, Mystery Inc was so fucked up. And I loved every minute of it.
>>
>>84243158
no it wasnt
its just treated like that now by creeps on the internet
>>
>>84241513
This movie is my childhood. I remember watching it like a ritual.
>>
>>84241513
I liked the alien movie more
>>
File: masa_amimoeenough.jpg (20 KB, 600x486) Image search: [Google]
masa_amimoeenough.jpg
20 KB, 600x486
>>84241513
>yfw as a kid Fred pulls off the zombie's head and you realize THE MONSTERS ARE ACTUALLY REAL HOLEY SHIT
>>
>>84241513

1: real monsters

2: cat-chicks
>>
>>84244135
3: Bro Zombies
>>
I have this on VHS, the animation was good so the monsters were actually kind of scary looking plus THE MONSTERS ARE REAL was actually selling point seeing as the most of us kids that age were only exposed (thankfully) to Scooby Doo, Where are You? Not the terrible ones where he has that kid on a magic carpet and drives a race car or whatever
>>
>>84241513
The Music was
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18ZIb5k90l4
>>84241922
>TERROR TIME
>>84243400
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnpiZj2yc1g
>>
Anyone got any recs for the best Scooby movies?
>>
>>84246584

Zombie Island
KISS
Witch's ghost

are my personal faves
>>
>>84246584
>>84246704
also, if you like mistery inc. you will probobly love frankencreepy
>>
>>84246584
The Warner Bros/HB movies start out amazing with Zombie Island, and steadily get slightly worse until HB leaves and things get way less atmospheric and interesting, though they still have some appeal. The egypt one I distinctly recall has some neat stuff in it.

That being said, they've gotten increasingly ridiculous over the years, and a lot of the recent ones are an absolute blast to watch. Phantosaur is amazing, as are the WWE and KISS ones.

The trio of Meets the Boo Brothers, Ghoul School, and Reluctant Werewolf are all the most delightfully absurd things to watch, they're best watched with friends, and if it's your style, inebriated.

On a similar note, the old Scooby Doo meets Batman and Scooby Doo Meets the Harlem Globetrotter cartoons are hilarious as well.
>>
>>84246922
I wanted to do original Hex Girls Thorn so bad

New Hex Girls designs fucking terribad
>>
>>84241513

>Real monsters
>Dark, dynamic colors and lots of reliance on shadows
>Gorgeous, fluid animation
>Awesome soundtrack
>Genuinely threatening villains
>Good twist
>REAL FUCKING MONSTERS
>>
This movie came out 18 years ago. What the hell.
>>
File: 1421165671963.jpg (26 KB, 510x476) Image search: [Google]
1421165671963.jpg
26 KB, 510x476
>>84247322

oh fuck I remember getting it the day it came out like it was yesterday
>>
>>84241513
It managed to do the whole "monsters are real this time" thing while still having a mystery/twist and characters as villains.
>>
>>84241712
Reminder
New Scooby Doo Films>Current New Scooby Doo Films>Power Gap>Scooby Doo Films spun off from What's New Scooby Doo
>>
File: 1465405936759.png (114 KB, 364x365) Image search: [Google]
1465405936759.png
114 KB, 364x365
>>84246584
Personally I loooooooved...

Scooby Doo and the Cyber Chase
Scooby Doo and the Ghoul School
Scooby Doo on Zombie Island

I can't remember if these are any good but I have fond memories of them:

Scooby Doo and the Alien Invasion
Scooby Doo and the Witch's Ghost

Hope that helped!
>>
Because it extended on what had been done in previous series' by postulating that the gang were only really happy when they were together solving mysteries but also thrived for the unsolvable.
That and the fact the monsters were not only threatening, but real and fleshed out made it exciting to most whom were expecting the same tired "who dunnit?" hoax.
And on a final note, the animation is far too good for a direct-to-video movie.

Why was it so good?
In short: Good characterization, original plot and visually pleasing
>>
>>84243158
Yes, because clearly anything featuring females automatically makes it waifu bait. Real smart
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.