[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
kids vs adults
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: Who_Told_You_People_About_This.jpg (42 KB, 475x352) Image search: [Google]
Who_Told_You_People_About_This.jpg
42 KB, 475x352
i noticed tht back in the 90's we had a lot of cartoons that were all about the kids, in these cartoons the adults were a complete alien species that the kids couldnt even try to understand. kids were all about cools things like FUN and GAMES and IMAGINATION whereas adults were about boring things like TAXES and OFFICE JOBS and TALK SHOWS. there was this clear divide in attitude and taste.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaqhQfj3fyE

what i find interesting is that now its gone. the new cartoons shows have none of that, in any capacity. Adults are usually presented as being on the same page as the kid characters, that when they are not presented as even more inmature than the kids. take for example gravity falls, had this show been made on 2000 i bet stan would have had much less protagonism, he would have been a background character at best.

why do you guys think this happened?
>>
>>84196143
Change of culture
>>
>>84196143
>why do you guys think this happened?
Kids thought that adults were like that and looked at adults more closely to see the "alien-ness" for themselves, but found out that they were just regular folks that had the same imagination as you or I and some of them went for it.

As a kid I thought that adults were incomprehensible beings too, but as I grew older I realized we're more or less the same people but with bigger responsibilities.
>>
>>84196143
80s also had this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW3PFC86UNI&spfreload=10
>>
rise in amount of adults who watch cartoons maybe?
>>
>>84196213
This. The 90's was marked by an edgy 'fuck you mom and dad' sorta vibe.
>>
>>84196143
The Kids vs Adults thing long predates the 90s to the point it was practically a stock setup in the 80s. It's a pretty limiting format and kinda cliche, and combined with the rise of serialized storytelling in cartoons meant that it became harder to justify using it.
>>
>>84196143
It started in the 50's, and while the 90's started to rebel from those staples, it was still largely set in them. It wasn't really until the 00's that most of the cliche plots and elements from that era were either completely abandoned or lampshaded. Until then, there was a pretty steady trend in how cartoons and in fact most TV shows in general worked.
>>
Gas the adults. Age war now.
>>
The 90s was all about anti-authority and shit
>>
Characters in modern cartoons rarely even try to reflect reality. What used to be kid and adult characters are now basically bigger and smaller characters
>>
what happened is millenials redefining what it means to be an adult.
now kids start their adolescence much earlier but stay as teenagers well into their twenties, the young adults of now a days were never forced to grow up as fast as the young adults of earlier generations. and so we have creators like alex hirsch or rebecca sugar who barely a few years ago were writing silly fan fiction in their blogs and the next day they have their own tv shows.

now more than ever being an adult just means that you are a kid pretending to know what is going on
>>
>>84196880
Millenials is such a shitty word
>>
>>84197193
>what happened is new generations redefining what it means to be an adult
there, now this is a safe space where you dont have to read triggering words
>>
File: 1435179296135.jpg (60 KB, 533x526) Image search: [Google]
1435179296135.jpg
60 KB, 533x526
>>84196880
>millenials

See, this already makes you sound like a retarded, bitter grandfather
>>
>>84197225
That's not what I meant. I mean saying Millenials then going on about how kids these days aren't growing up makes you sound like a bitter granddad.
>>
>>84197252
>>84197264
is just a convenient word that gets my point across, i dont mean to say that millenials are lazy pampered fucks or anything like that. is just the word that is used to encompass the current generation
>>
>>84197334
Oh I see what you mean. I do hate it when people turn into their parents shouting "kids these days" though.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.