[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does he hate continuity so much? Why doesn't he even
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 4
File: brian-michael-bendis1.jpg (37 KB, 420x525) Image search: [Google]
brian-michael-bendis1.jpg
37 KB, 420x525
Why does he hate continuity so much?

Why doesn't he even care about his own?
>>
>Jew
>>
>>84182012
Why?
>>
He's just a bad writer.
>>
>>84182060

Yes. Why
>>
He writes 4 issues, one a week. And his editors, who actually DO change stuff, don't stop him.
He's also a veteran in Marvel at this point and his stuff sells well.
But I'm super bored that /co/ acts like everything Bendis does is awful.
>>
Bendis just seems to take continuity as something that's a shield against what he wants to write, so his lack of caring about continuity is so that he can be more free and liberated in writing the story he fully wishes to write without any worries about being bound to anything that interferes with his writing.

The problem is that the story still turns out as being either mediocre or garbage, and eventually someone'll have to pick up the slack from Bendis and make the continuity right again. And this usually repeats ad infinitum. Bendis ignores continuity in order to tell his own garbage story, and another writer has to fix what he did, and Bendis goes and ignores continuity again in another story in order to tell his own garbage story, and another writer fixes up that mess.

This will probably go on until Bendis leaves, and from what I can see, that's not gonna happen ever. Bendis seems to be the Geoff Johns of Marve(POSITION-WISE), and will be trusted with many various projects in the foreseeable future.
>>
>>84182012

Wasn't there a recent interview where he said he saw continuity as little more than an obstacle?
>>
>>84182121

He gave me Jessica Jones. For that I'll always give him a free pass, even if that free pass comes with merciless banter.
>>
>>84182441
Well he took Wanda from me. And for that I will curse his name until the end of days.
>>
What the fuck is wrong with you , /co/? Five years ago you were slobbering all over bendis' dick and now you hate him?

How can you so easily turn on the things you love???
>>
>>84182471

Well, my friend, how about we both simply go have a beer in the MCU, where we can both be happy? Fuck the comics.
>>
>>84182474
I never liked Ult. Spider-Man. Bagley's art wasn't good, to me. It looked like it was trying to be realistic, but it felt so stiff and plastic.

I didn't like Peter or Aunt May. Peter was a dick head, but not in anyway that made me feel sympathy for him. If I want to be honest it felt like it was trying to be funny and safe. Bendis really did just adapt a lot of better stories while writing it.
>>
>>84182441
Agreed
>>
>>84182474

I think it's the sort of 'hate' that is based on frustration that someone we know and like is making a massive fuckup of their life. It comes from a place of love and concern, for them, and the people caught up in the messes.
>>
>>84182512
I'll drink to that.
>>
>>84182930
For me it comes from pure hate.
>>
>>84182012
Stuff like continuity and keeping character's personality's the right way around are for other writers. Writers who don't have their bosses dirty little secrets saved on a floppy disk
>>
>>84182474
Say what? Bendis hate is far older than 5 years.
>>
>>84182474
Bendis hasn't written street level in a long time.
>>
He's basically a made man at Marvel. A company man. It's just a job to him at this point. There's not much that can bring him down from that position.

I don't know if he's still capable of writing anything worthwhile and is being a lazy shit, or if he's just completely worthless now.
>>
>>84182474
>Five years ago you were slobbering all over bendis' dick and now you hate him?
We have archives going back to 2008, if the only remaining one keeping track of /co/ threads wasn't down right now I'd prove you wrong.
>>
>>84182474
Anon, I name you liar.
>>
why would you if you can get away with it
>>
Is anyone watching Powers S2? Like at all?
>>
When you can become successful without ever putting in any effort, why start?
>>
He does this shit for a paycheck, that's why. He clearly doesn't really care.
>>
>>84186767
I refuse to give anything he's in any way part of a chance, it's not that I believe he can't create anything good, maybe he could. It's that he's such a total hack and has so much creative control that he can pretty much ruin any book or character I enjoy at any given time.
After the guardians and especially after what he did to Venom, fuck that guy.
>>
>>84182012
I don't think people would even mind him fudging continuity if the stories he told were good.
>>
>>84182471
Wait, when did Wanda die?
>>
>>84182121
>But I'm super bored that /co/ acts like everything Bendis does is awful.
This. /co/ likes to bitch and only focuses on their meme pages like She-Hulks tits or Beard bros. They completely ignore everything else but still call everything the biggest piece of shit in comics history.

I mean, Bendis has done horrible stuff. I know and everybody knows. But, aside of CWII, his current work is nowhere near as bad as /co/ make it look.
>>
>>84187859
Naah he tried tv/vg and got booted from the MCU with the MCC. He is just a hack. Comic writer is all he has.
>>
Continuity in comics is fucking stupid and pointless

Its a never ending circle of alterations.

Canon ends when a writers run ends a new writers run begins.
>>
>>84182012
He's probably legitimately got some kind of mental development issue.
>>
>>84188399
House of M. Assassinated to death.
>>
>>84182512
>typical marvel fan
>>
>>84188446
If no one has anything good to point out then the bad is what sticks.
>>
There's a reason. There's a reason he dislikes continuity so much.

Listen.

Say you're writing a story, right? You're writing a story, and you want to make it original, you want to make it unique, but you can't. You know why? Because of continuity.

Look.

When you have years upon years upon YEARS of background story, background characters, background minutae, it all swirls together in this vortex of suck that will land you right on your tuchus if you try to make sense of it. So instead of writing a short, twenty-odd-something story, now you have to write War & Peace just to appease all the fans. (God, the fans.)

Also.

Like many (many!) others have said, at this point Bendis is a made man. He's a company man. He's long past his prime, writing street level characters doing street level things, and clearly is at a loss when it comes to anything more. He tries to humanize the fantastic, a noble effort, but he ends up making everyone ineffectual in the long run. Then there's the matter, you see, the matter of all of his characters talking alike, regardless of witty retorts or page long diatribes.

So.

This has enabled Bendis to become this... This... This SHELL of his former glory where his Mamet-inspired dialogue is no longer new, it's lazy. And he can afford to be lazy. So why not be lazy? Lazy gets him paid.

Not to mention, he needs an editor to keep his rambling characters in check, but they no longer care at this point anyway. See the Inhumans, hell, every other title that isn't the Inhumans. Marvel. Just. Doesn't. Care. Any. More.

In short?

It sucks. He knows it sucks. People will pay for the suck regardless.

[insert witty gif and plug to buy Morales Spider-Man here]
>>
>>84188758
>Say you're writing a story, right? You're writing a story, and you want to make it original, you want to make it unique, but you can't. You know why? Because of continuity.

Give an example
An example where some OC characters wouldn't be acceptable
An example where you're not trying to shove Spider-man into a punisher story because Bendis just felt like using Spidey
>>
>>84188758
>he needs an editor to keep his rambling characters in check, but they no longer care at this point anyway.
I still believe that, with a good editor (or with an editor because clearly there are none at this point), Bendis books would be much better, maybe even good.
>>
>>84188843

Look.

I understand where you're coming from. (I do.) If anything, I admire your chutzpah. There SHOULD be more original characters. There SHOULD be more original stories. But guess what? Guess what? You know what doesn't sell?

Guess.

Ding ding ding! Original characters!

Listen.

Say you want a story where Hawkeye (Yes, Hawkeye) meets up with Kitty Pryde. And look, yes, I know Hawkeye is bupkis, but we're just using him as an example. Alright?

Anyway.

The characters have met each other many, many, MANY times before, but your average Joe moviegoer doesn't know that. They know Jeremy Renner. They know Ellen Page. They might not even know them! So you take a page out of Claremont's book. You have them reference each other's powers, establish their skill sets. (Don't laugh, Hawkeye technically has a skill set.) (TECHNICALLY.)

But.

Claremont was too... What's the word I'm looking for. Word-y? It's old. It's outdated. People are used to the tete-a-tetes of modern filmmaking. So you have them trade some witty barbs. Have Kitty make fun of Clint, about how all he can do is shoot arrows. (Look, he tried with Ronin. He really did. Clint just sucks.)

I could keep going, but I think you get the picture.
>>
File: 1467292440327.png (281 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
1467292440327.png
281 KB, 800x1200
>>84188758
Tell that to Grant Morrison.
>>
>>84188953

>I still believe that, with a good editor (or with an editor because clearly there are none at this point), Marvel books would be much better, maybe even good.

FTFY
>>
File: 1454942792494.jpg (6 KB, 223x251) Image search: [Google]
1454942792494.jpg
6 KB, 223x251
>>84188758
>>84189079
Stop typing like that, you autistic nigger.
>>
>>84189250
I believe he copies and pastes.
>>
>>84182012
Because he doesn't like limitations. He's the kind of guy that wants to write whatever he wants, continuity to him is an obstacle that prevents him from doing whatever he wants.
>>
>>84189250
What?

What do you mean?

Typing like what?
>>
>>84189332
I'm just waiting for the day when Bendis writes a story about Pete ad MJ being married.

They'll tell him OMD and he'll just say "I'm the goddamn Bendis"
>>
>>84189250
That's how Bendis speak you duffus.
>>
>>84182012
Because when he wants to write a story he just writes a story. He doesn't want to let past works determine how his own story plays out even if that means bucking his own material.
>>
>>84188446
>But, aside of CWII, his current work is nowhere near as bad as /co/ make it look.
Clearly you didn't read Battle For the Atom; Age of Ultron; or HIS ENTIRE FUCKING X-MEN RUN.
>>
>>84182096
Why?
>>
>>84188446
>But, aside of CWII, his current work is nowhere near as bad as /co/ make it look

>his x men
>his 100 part crossovers
>his GOTG
>Age of ultron
>FACIAL HAIR BROS
>>
File: 1307768573395.jpg (68 KB, 788x519) Image search: [Google]
1307768573395.jpg
68 KB, 788x519
>>84182121

I loved USM, his first run of New Avengers, and Dark Reign was great. But my god he has dropped so hard. Heroic Age was really the point at which he seemed to stop caring.

Now he just does whatever he wants and draws heavy inspiration from the movies. He did it with GotG and he's doing it with Iron Man. I'm not on him as much as other anons are about his lack of dedication to continuity. That's not my problem with him. It's just that he's so painfully boring or just about ruins a character for some unknown reason. No subtlety, no foresight, no common sense sometimes.

How the hell are the O5 still a thing? Have they even explained how that is possible? And Icemen, the second biggest X-whore, is gay? I still can't get over it. And the Original Sin issues of GotG shit all over Thanos Imperative's ending.

All the power, none of the responsibility.
>>
>>84191475
>and draws heavy inspiration from the movies.
That was him trying to weasel his way into the movies and he was trying to get them to use his designs. He loves movie synergy, but unfortunately for him, no one wants him involved with their movies. So he just does weird shit, like changing knowhere to tatooine or killing war machine because the draft for the script in the movie had him dying.
>>
>>84191524

You'd think Bendis would have some kind of access, especially since Marvel does want synergy with the movies. Does Feige not return his calls or something?
>>
>>84191569
>Does Feige not return his calls or something?
>>but unfortunately for him, no one wants him involved with their movies.
>>
>>84191569
He was part of the Marvel thinktank set up by Perlmutter that included Quesada, Dan Buckley, and possibly Loeb that oversaw the movies. When Feige took over he cut them off from influencing the films, IIRC.
>>
>>84191581

Whether we like it or not, Bendis is top dog of Marvel comics right now. So it's surprising that he's shunned in some way.
>>
>>84191612
>And Icemen, the second biggest X-whore, is gay? I still can't get over it.

This isn't as much a problem as the way Bendis wrote it. The scene read like as if Iceman's sexuality was being chosen by someone else instead of being his decision. If Iceman were the one confessing he was gay to Jean at the start, then okay. But Bendis is the one having Jean tell Bobby that he's gay.
>>
>>84189339
Like you've never heard how the English language is spoken.
>>
>>84191693

That still doesn't make sense because even if he did confess it, it'd still seem way out of character. I forgot what issue but it was basically "Bobby and half of the female X-men who happened have been his exes at a coffee shop."

It was obviously done for progressive purposes but the wrong person was picked. Bobby? Young Bobby even? Why not Warren? Surely you can't have him being distressed over being in the past and finding comfort in someone like... Anole or some gay non-mutant guy.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.