[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WONG
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
>Wong, who is currently promoting the upcoming second season of Netflix’s Marco Polo, took some time out to talk with the folks over at Den of Geek about his role in Doctor Strange and what we can expect from this take on Wong. According to the actor, the Wong we see in the film is going to be different from the version we’ve come to know. Per Wong, the character will be “more of a drill sergeant”.

>“I’m certainly not going to be the tea-making manservant. We’re heading in a different direction. He’s more of a drill sergeant.”

>For those hoping to see Wong physically fight alongside Strange, however, Wong has confirmed we won’t see any martial arts from Wong in the film.

>“There isn’t any martial arts for Wong in Doctor Strange actually, he’s more of a drill sergeant to Kamar-Taj. He’s one of the masters of sorcery.”

http://mcuexchange.com/benedict-wong-talks-doctor-strange-and-his-characters-new-direction-for-the-film/

So it sounds like in the Dr. Strange movie Wong is going from Strange's sidekick to a mystic Asian mentor figure, like the Ancient One originally was... while Baron Mordo is actually filling the role of a super physically adept ethnic sidekick.
>>
>>84104317
>while Baron Mordo is actually filling the role of a super physically adept ethnic sidekick.
...Until the end of the movie where they reveal IT WAS ME STEPHEN
>>
>>84104414

I dunno. You think they'll do that in this movie, instead of just foreshadowing it and saving his villainous turn for the inevitable sequel?
>>
>>84104681
Early spoilers made it appear as if he was playing the long con against everyone.
>>
>>84104317
I just want good Wong/Strange banter. We'll at least get that much, right?
>>
>>84104681
Given the identity of Mad's villain, yeah.
Plus why hold out for it? Every casual who goes to see it is just going to Google him when they come back from the theatre anyway.
>>
I always wanted Strange to have a street level hero as a sidekick. Someone superpowered enough to do the heavy stuff on adventures while Strange actually solves the problem. Maybe one of the more street tier Defenders, Namor/SS/Hulk seem like overkill.

Wong almost never accompanied Strange at all and even then he still incredibly bland. He kind of is just the housekeeper majority of the time.
>>
File: Wong and Strange.jpg (3 MB, 1280x6951) Image search: [Google]
Wong and Strange.jpg
3 MB, 1280x6951
>>84105636

He's had his moments in certain stories, but yeah, of all Dr. Strange's sidekicks, he's the most underutilized in a lot of ways. I've always felt he should be that guy you're describing, someone superpowered enough to hang through the big adventures but not enough to reach Strange's own level. Wong should really have some Iron Fist style Chi powers, or magic tattoos that make him super strong/fast, something more than just normal martial arts.

Because he and Strange, when done right, have a great dynamic. Strange is the scholar, Wong is the realist. Strange spends 75% of his time with his head in the clouds, Wong is always focused on the here and now.
>>
>>84104317
I like it. It's different enough to keep it interesting and fresh, but everyone's still there for it to feel like Dr. Strange.
>>
>>84104985

Here's hoping, though it seems like the tone of it will be a bit different if Wong is one of Strange's teachers. I wonder if by, the end of the movie, The Ancient One will be dead and Mordo will have gone evil, leaving just Strange and Wong as the buddy duo. I dunno, I kinda get the feeling that they're making Wong into a very minor side character.
>>
>>84105636

Wouldn't Iron Fist be a good fit? Themetically it seems to me like they'd work well together, but maybe their disciplines are just too different... i just think they'd cover each other's weak spot well, in theory... but I'm not that well versed in the characters... (inb4 "neither are the current writers").
>>
>>84106462

I do think it's interesting Strange and Danny haven't hung out more, considering both of them deal with (to greater and lesser extents) weird other dimensional realms.
>>
>>84106462
>>84106488

They were shown working together in New Avengers for all ten seconds and then Danny was out of it.

Then Brother Voodoo became Sorcerer Supreme, Danny became the Immortal Weapon of Agamotto and Voodoo died.

Then He teamed up with Strange in Defenders, and are shown to get together to meditate (and then proceed to drive cars like they're in a Fast and the Furious movie.

Their relationship is already there really, its just some writers don't know it for a while.
>>
>>84104985
If film!Wong will be like a drill sergeant, I can picture him as an Asian R.L Ermey.

>Stephen: "Is that you, John Wayne? ...Is this me?"
>>
>>84106824

Strange's arc in NA was a steaming pile of dogshit and I hope Bendis never writes the character ever again.
>>
There is 100% gonna be a training montage where Wong runs Strange through his magic lessons and Strange fails spectacularly over and over until suddenly he gets it.

Man, how much time is this movie going to take place over? Is Dr. Strange going to become the most powerful sorcerer in the universe over the course of a week, or something?
>>
>>84104317
I'm actually ok with this...so long as Benedict has some good chemistry with the other Benedict.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.