[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
moana thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 240
Thread images: 42
File: 722.jpg (32 KB, 722x433) Image search: [Google]
722.jpg
32 KB, 722x433
This is why we have
animal films. No one bitched about clawhauser.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/27/disney-depiction-of-obese-polynesian-god-in-film-moana-sparks-anger
>>
>>84098585
He's not obese though. He looks pretty bearmode.
>>
>>84098585
I thought it was obligatory for all males remotely related to Hawaii to look like Israel Kamakawiwo.
>>
>>84098707
This. Dude is strongfat.
>>
>>84098585
>Isoa Kavakimotu, a Tongan New Zealand man who identifies with being “a pretty big guy” created a YouTube video on the controversy, saying he had no problem with Disney’s Maui.
>“a pretty big guy”
>>
don't they know a god can take any form they choose?
casuals, complaining about shit they don't know about
>>
>>84098834
for you.
>>
>>84098585
As a Clawhauserfag, this isn't obese. Clawhauser is obese. This is muscelchub at worst, thick and fit ant best.
>>
Is the level of public awareness really that low? Look at any strongman, dude looks "fat" because underneath that fuel for muscles is MUSCLES

People want to argue about fucking nothing.
>>
>>84098585
This has to be a bunch of white people making a fuss. Everyone knows Polynesians are big as fuck. Especially Samoans and Maois. Look at the Polynesians pro wrestlers and NFL players there have been. All big strong fat fuckers.
If this were a fat girl as a main character these faggots would be applauding Disney but since the male lead isn't the ideal pretty boy they're losing their shit.
>>
>>84099105
>This has to be a bunch of white people making a fuss.
It is. The polynesian designer told basically told her to shut the fuck up
>>
File: 233131332.jpg (13 KB, 217x209) Image search: [Google]
233131332.jpg
13 KB, 217x209
>>84099105
>If this were a fat girl as a main character these faggots would be applauding Disney but since the male lead isn't the ideal pretty boy they're losing their shit.
I'm sad because I know you are completely right.
>>
>>84099145
That explains a lot.
Given how he doesn't even look fat. There are no rolls or anything. Its all big beefy muscle.
>>
>>84099105
My high school has a fair Togan population and we're a big part of the football team. Fuckers are huge and strong.
>>
>>84098585
If the internet was shut off all of these idiots would have nowhere to complain because no newspaper would waste ink on this bullshit.
>>
This is what happens when you include minorities in your films at any level. Activist groups come out of the woodwork to complain about it regardless of the choices made.

Ebony magazine declared Princess and the Frog to be "racist" a year before it even came out. Their reasons were that Randy Newman was white, the Prince was white (so he was made generic brown), and also "Maddie" is a racist name (which is why it was changed).

You can never please minorities. It's best just not to include them.
>>
He's the size of a samoan rugby player or wrestler , and those guys are fast as fuck
>>
>“This depiction of Maui being obese is typical American stereotyping. Obesity is a new phenomena because of the first world food that’s been stuffed down our throat.”
>stuffed down our throats
The evil white man/western society shit again. No one is making you eat fat food. No one held you down and made you eat McDonald's and KFC. This exaggeration to excuse poor life choices is disgusting no matter who it is from and even more so when you try to drag a children's cartoon character into it.
>>
>>84099236
or just ignore them entirely and let themselves look like retards. but yeah, American companies are too receptive to bloggers who'll probably just stream or pirate thier movies anyway
>>
>>84099105
That's because these fat bitches want to self-insert as a fat bitch that still gets the hot guy.
>>
This makes me like the character even more because cry babies hate him so much.
>>
>>84099236
Why would you give your first black princess a white prince though? Gotta spread some black love before going interracial.
>>
I want to see some bearmode guys coming out and protesting their lack of representation in Disney films, but they wont because they tend to have self esteem.
>>
>>84099236
>You can never please minorities.
Did you even read the fucking article? How is Ebony fucking magazine the voice for entire race? It's obvious they don't all feel that way.
>>
>>84098585

Where were the Scottish Representation Activists when Brave came out and portrayed all Scotsmen as violent, stupid, slovenly, sexist morons?
>>
File: Wreck-it-Ralph.jpg (327 KB, 873x873) Image search: [Google]
Wreck-it-Ralph.jpg
327 KB, 873x873
>>84098585
So it's only okay for a white character to be fat and strong?

Those people are racist.
>>
>>84099236
There's lots of us who appreciate it and aren't bitching. I can't control everybody who's the same race as me.
>>
>>84099236
They bitched about the name and the guy being too light but nothing about the main villain being a shucking and jiving voodoo witch doctor.
They cherry pick the issues but let other shit that is more offensive slide.
>>
>>84099316
I'm one and I don't give a shit. I just crush all my problems between my pecs and my "fat" arms.
>>
>>84099366
To be fair the Princess and the Frog did suck.
>>
>>84099265
It is harder to eat healthy when you're poor, and a lot of Polynesians are poor as fuck
>>
>>84099345
because Scots are a pansy bunch of welfare fags, of course they would like thier shitty non country to be portrayed as badass.
>>
>>84099378
Maybe because the shucking and jiving witch doctor was cool as fuck.
>>
This will always be the issue with trying to be PC and please whiners. They cry about not being represented then when you represent them they cry that it's not the representation they wanted.
This is a weird one because most people have no idea who and what a Polynesian is or where Polynesia is.
Disney is doing you a service exposing people around the world to your culture and you have a fit because the mythological god is too fat for your liking.
>>
Also worth noting , the majority of Rock's family are 300 plus pound giants with freakish athleticism
>>
>>84099410
Everyone is fucking poor in some aspect. Eating $5 combo meal and being poor still doesn't mean you're being forced to consume that type of food.
>>
>>84099345
>Where were the Scottish Representation Activists when Brave came out and portrayed all Scotsmen as violent, stupid, slovenly, sexist morons?

>Portray a Scotsman as greedy, heartless, shifty and mean, no one gives a shit.
>Portray a Jew as greedy, heartless, shifty and mean, ohhhhhhh holy shit the world will end

So why is it okay to present Scottish people as miserly tightwads, but not Jews?
>>
File: 1446490854222.jpg (112 KB, 657x614) Image search: [Google]
1446490854222.jpg
112 KB, 657x614
>>84099459
Remove Roman
>>
>>84099475
Of course they're not forced to, but when they can spend $50 on food instead of $100 on a $200 weekly budget, why wouldn't they?
>>
>>84099378
Because its evil witch doctors are a thing. Had a classmate who's grandma who practiced voodoo and she put curses on ppl and shit. You should read up on this stuff, its pretty cool.
>>
>>84099459

yeah like I figure the Rock would charm his way into getting anything actually offensive removed
>>
>>84099518
If I wanted to read made up nonsense I'd read the bible
>>
>>84099484

one hasn't been used for 2000 years to justify and institutionalize bigotry

also Scrooge is a positive character.
>>
>>84099378
I believe there WERE complaints about the voodoo magic, but I don't remember if it was directed towards the villain or the godmother character.
>>
File: OW THE EDGE.jpg (29 KB, 400x366) Image search: [Google]
OW THE EDGE.jpg
29 KB, 400x366
>>84099541

(you)
>>
File: 1422412330761.jpg (551 KB, 2400x1500) Image search: [Google]
1422412330761.jpg
551 KB, 2400x1500
>>84099589
Oh I'm Kirby tier baby
>>
>>84099552

>thinking Jewish people are currently an oppressed and underrepresented minority.

Oh shit son, you goin' Turbo Retard, now!
>>
I saw this coming, Disney made Maui too fucking ugly.

They could had made him look closer to the Rock.
>>
Don't pacific islanders view being fat as a good thing?
>>
>>84099265
"The Navy forced us all to eat Spam when they militarized our islands!" said no Samoan ever.
>>
>>84099265
But he said Americans not white people, what's with this victim complex that you fucks and those other dumb fucks have?
>>
File: whocares.jpg (29 KB, 450x327) Image search: [Google]
whocares.jpg
29 KB, 450x327
>>84098585
>bitchy fucks who get pissy over a fucking disney movie.
>>
>>84100222
>I saw this coming, Disney made Maui too fucking ugly.

Bingo. They also made his proportions look too cartoony compared to the others—if you shrank him to half Moana's height, he could pass for her chubby, five year old bratty little brother, because his head to body ratio look more appropriate for a child in her world.
>>
>>84100263
That's Mexican people I believe.
>>
File: festival_spc_ava-ceremony.jpg (81 KB, 576x371) Image search: [Google]
festival_spc_ava-ceremony.jpg
81 KB, 576x371
>>84099105
>Look at the Polynesians pro wrestlers and NFL players there have been.
Look at fucking statistics. How do you get the fattest people in the world? Take Samoans and make them American.
>>
File: 1448527108103.gif (845 KB, 203x288) Image search: [Google]
1448527108103.gif
845 KB, 203x288
>>84099105
>If this were a fat girl as a main character these faggots would be applauding Disney but since the male lead isn't the ideal pretty boy they're losing their shit.
>>
>>84099236
I kind of get the Randy Newman thing. I don't really mind his work but you have to be really fucking lazy to decide to use him in that movie.
>>
File: 1455237040453.jpg (76 KB, 850x400) Image search: [Google]
1455237040453.jpg
76 KB, 850x400
>>84099484
Because Jews run the entertainment industry
>>
File: my fucking ballbag.png (772 KB, 855x478) Image search: [Google]
my fucking ballbag.png
772 KB, 855x478
>>84099459
>Roman is the only one in that picture that nobody likes
>all because of shitty bullshit writers

I miss the Shield
>>
>>84100546
>I kind of get the Randy Newman thing. I don't really mind his work but you have to be really fucking lazy to decide to use him in that movie.

The reason Ebony cited had nothing to do with the quality of Newman's music, but because he was white. It had to do with a larger "problem" ebony had that there were too many white people working on the movie in general. They felt that a movie starring a black Princess should be made entirely by black people.
>>
WHY DOES HE WEAR THE TATS?
>>
File: Jesus_king_of_men_by_bdec.jpg (1 MB, 1386x1684) Image search: [Google]
Jesus_king_of_men_by_bdec.jpg
1 MB, 1386x1684
>>84100637

Probably some religious significance.
>>
>>84100369
I'm a black guy tho.
>>
>>84099236
>This is what happens when you include minorities in your films at any level. Activist groups come out of the woodwork to complain about it regardless of the choices made.

If minorities put as much effort into getting jobs and contributing to society as they do complaining and moving goal posts, then maybe they wouldn't be so marginalized and resented.
>>
>>84100582
And I also sort of get that part when it comes to music. I mean it's New damn Orleans, can't you bother getting one of the 9000 black musicians that would be a better fit for more than one reason?
Like, you know, not getting tons of black animators because of dumb quotas is fine, but if there's one thing where African-Americans are culturally significant, it is music.
I mean, if they hire base on artistic talent, they'll probably end up with a mostly white crew like it happened, but there's no damn reason to take Randy damn Newman over the tons of black musicians that are not only better than him but also much better fits with the atmosphere of that movie.
>>
>>84099410
>frozen veggies and rice
>frozen meat or soy for proteins
>saltines and peanut butter for those midnight cravings
There you go. Most staples from around the world are made with cheap, easily accessible ingredients. If youre in place without those either move or stop pumping out more people
>>
>>84100582
That makes sense, you want people to bring in personal experience and understandings to projects that they can possibly offer. Especially if there is a degree of touching on race like Princess and the Frog did, even something as minuscule as capturing New Orleans culture accurately. That's not to say "no white people allowed" but having a movie set in New Orleans with hints of jazzy music being the soundtrack's theme, wouldn't you want someone more in tune with that scene than Randy "Sing About What Is Happening Internally In This Scene" Newman?
>>
>>84100715
>I mean it's New damn Orleans, can't you bother getting one of the 9000 black musicians that would be a better fit for more than one reason?
Randy Newman is by far the most famous modern musician from New Orleans.
>>
>>84100733
>he thinks frozen food is healthy
>>
>>84098585
>Disney Princess movie
>Controversy

Pick two.
>>
>>84100715

>Randy Newman
>From New Orleans
>He doesn't count because he's white and should there for be excluded from consideration.

You are the one who is racist.
>>
daily reminder that Moana will NEVER EVER be as popular and do as well as Frozen or Zootopia.
>>
>>84100782
>Randy Newman is by far the most famous modern musician from New Orleans.

Yeah he's so New Orleans that he was born, left for a while as a kid, and came back and started his career in Los Angeles.

>>84100805
No one here is calling anyone racist.
>>
>>84100816
>daily reminder that Moana will NEVER EVER be as popular and do as well as Frozen or Zootopia.

I think what people forget is that most of the worldwide box office doesn't respond well to movies starring brown people. They don't make much money in Europe and are ESPECIALLY ignored in Asian territories.

Like that movie Red Tails. It fuckin FLOPPED internationally because no one outside of the US (and arguable few people within the US) want to see a movie starring brown people acting like brown people.

It's just a fact of life. Moana is a "prestige" film, meant to look progressive and timely but calculated to make a loss at the international box office.
>>
>>84100715
9000 black musicians or not. Most of them wouldn't know how to compose music for a blockbuster hollywood film which is a big task. Randy Newman has years of composing and working in the music and movie industry under his belt. And he enlisted black singers and musicians to aid him in making the soundtrack.
People who believe someone should be given a job due to their skin color instead of their merit or experience that's racism and bigotry. The very thing left leaning people tend fight against.
>>
>>84100782
>Newman was born in Los Angeles, the son of Adele "Dixie" (Fox) (August 30, 1916 – October 4, 1988), a secretary, and Irving George Newman (November 28, 1913 – February 1, 1990), an internist.[5] He lived in New Orleans as a small child and spent summers there until he was 11 years old, his family having by then returned to Los Angeles.
PatF wasn't set in modern times and Newman's music isn't representative of historical New Orleans style music.

Also Birdman is more famous.
>>
At first look, I thought, why did they gave such a large female character so flat of a chest?
>>
>>84100874
>People who believe someone should be given a job due to their skin color instead of their merit or experience that's racism and bigotry. The very thing left leaning people tend fight against.

It doesn't count when it's aimed at white people.

No, I'm not being facetious. That's what they actually believe. The whole Racism = Discrimination + Institutional Authority meme. Therefor, black people cannot by definition be racists.
>>
>>84100816

Maybe not. But I'm still happy that it is made.
I'd much rather watch a movie involving non-whites when they use their own cultures and legends for inspiration instead of turning white characters black.
>>
>>84100874
The point was that he didn't particularly have merit there. Many movie composers exist, many are better than him (although admittedly not a lot of them are black).
I didn't say it was the worst choice ever, just lazy, as in "let's get that guy who's worked for us a lot before". You could also call it safe or unimaginative.
>>
>>84100902
You're responding to a strawman with another strawman.

Those opinions do exist, nobody here has expressed them.
>>
>>84100874
Disney is a multimedia company that can afford taking a risk such as hiring a more or less unknown composer to work on their film, especially if its to add authenticity like they are now with Moana's character designer. No one is saying Randy doesn't have merit (barring criticism of his work) but for a movie that Disney was proudly presenting as their first step to an inclusive and "progressive" future like featuring their first Black Princess, it's kind of lazy to rely on the same old tired composers and so on due to seniority and not try and start some new blood going up. Stale traditions are what even held back PatF in reviews ironically (what with the funny animal sidekicks and prince plot instead of what people found compelling like Tiana's work to try and start her own business.)

>People who believe someone should be given a job due to their skin color instead of their merit or experience that's racism and bigotry.

No one is arguing that, they're just offering alternatives especially since in hindsight, all this hindered the film. Stop getting overly defensive.
>>
File: 1461222723358.jpg (45 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1461222723358.jpg
45 KB, 480x360
>>84098585
>The Guardian
>>
File: 3eb.png (1 MB, 1281x715) Image search: [Google]
3eb.png
1 MB, 1281x715
who fucking cares
>>
File: image.jpg (56 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56 KB, 600x600
>>84099386
>>84099447
>>
>>84101052
Angry brown people
>>
>>84101147

>Polynesian Lives Matter

Check your privilege.
>>
None of you are POC so you have no right to have an opinion on this
>>
>>84099236
>"Maddie" is a racist name

I wonder how black women named Maddie felt reading that, or how parents that named their children Maddie felt about it. Or if they wouldn't have written that if someone named Maddie was on their team. Maddie is short for Madeline which is a fine name. I always thought Tiana was a shitty name that sounds like somebody made it up out of nothing for no reason than it sounds vaguely black and ethnic, and I've always hated weird ebonics names like that, but at least I can admit that's more a matter of personal preference. Also Tiana really doesn't sound like a name you'd find someone giving their kid in that region in the early 1900s.
>>
>>84101147
They aren't the Chinese so they don't matter a lick to Disney.
>>
>>84101249
>None of you are POC so you have no right to have an opinion on this

And yet every minority is allowed to have an opinion on white people.

Hmmmmm...
>>
>>84101249
>"haha get it, this is how those people act xD"

Boring. Anyways the article is dumb and the big guy is ripped. Is anyone expecting this to bomb or to fly charts somehow?
>>
>>84101316
>the big guy is ripped
>ripped
That word does mean what you think it means
>>
>>84101316
>ripped

You mean swole, anon.
>>
>>84101352
Shit you're right, my bad.
>>
>>84101316
>>84101352
>>84101365
>>84101375

If you don't know the difference between "ripped" and "swole" then you probably aren't either of those things.

You're probably also a pussy.
>>
File: 1376356240576.jpg (42 KB, 409x372) Image search: [Google]
1376356240576.jpg
42 KB, 409x372
>>84101390
Yeah, probably,

Anyways, I dunno, Zootopia was meant to be the side movie that was meant to get out early and move on for the main event (this) but after Finding Dory, would people be willing to go out and watch it after the inevitable reviews comparing the two? History has proved that usually Pixar's fares get the fortunes skewed to their side.

What I'm saying is will this at least be as successful as Zootopia? Pls no "Zootopia is the most gr9 movie so no" tier posts, I liked that movie but itd be nice if people think objectively for a second.
>>
>>84101390
Whoa calm down bad
All that testosterone is going to get all over your floor.
>>
File: 1462065359582.png (70 KB, 288x288) Image search: [Google]
1462065359582.png
70 KB, 288x288
>There are over 35 unique IPs in this thread that are too stupid to know that The Guardian is balls off the walls retarded
>>
>>84101458
Zootopia is the most gr9 movie so no
>>
>>84101473
Oh boy it's the "let me derail a thread by shitposting about the website posted"
Yeah you off topic comment will show The Guardian where to fuck off.
>>
File: 1397421356440.png (104 KB, 305x340) Image search: [Google]
1397421356440.png
104 KB, 305x340
>>84101493
Damnit
>>
File: 1340190334694.png (768 KB, 1312x1014) Image search: [Google]
1340190334694.png
768 KB, 1312x1014
>>84098585
>the guardian
the huffpost of the uk
>>
>>84101546
What the fuck are you talking about? The Guardian is legitimately full of idiots. There's no good reason to give their borderline blogposts a sincere thought of discussion.
>>
>>84100567
Based Brando dropping some Red Pill.
>>
>>84101493
I feel like it's a daily chore around here to tell autists like you to get out by the dozen
>>
File: 1383457308625.jpg (248 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
1383457308625.jpg
248 KB, 1280x1024
>>84101546
Oh boy it's one of those "wanna know how much of a dumb faggot I can be" posts.

Tell ya what, the day your newsweekly article views counter reaches double digits I'll eat my cum. Until then, you can breathe in gas my man.
>>
File: 1455087717585.jpg (80 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
1455087717585.jpg
80 KB, 500x667
>>84098585
>fat shaming
TRIGGERED!!!
>>
>>84099307
It's racist to think that matters. The people who complain about it are all very clearly advocating that races shouldn't mix.
>>
>>84099236
They had to hunt pretty fucking hard to find any actual islanders to criticize the design. A local New Zealand politician and a rugby player.

I live near a large samoan/tongan community, and I have yet to meet anyone who's against this.

Also, with the princess and the frog, activitsts simultaneously bitched about him being not black enough and too black.

>You can never please easily triggered whiny bitches. It's best just not to take them too seriously.
Fixed that for you.

>>84098735
>Bruddda Iz, shown for scale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1bFr2SWP1I

>>84099105
I could imagine some strongfat defensive linemen and rugby players countering the complainers with "stop fat shaming me" signs.
>>
>>84100866
>>84100816

Disney hasn't made a prestige animated film since Fantasia. Even with a weaker box office, they ALWAYS will try to make it huge on the merch.

>>84101147
I would bet a plate of loco moco that an overwhelming majority of the complainers aren't islanders to begin with.
>>
File: image.gif (435 KB, 300x149) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
435 KB, 300x149
>>
>getting triggered by people getting triggered

If you think what you do is beyond criticism, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place.

>>84102481
>I didn't read the article

Also, call me Tumblr if you want, but these kind of complaints only serve to boost the idea that "fatphobia" is a thing. Almost all of the detractors are saying that Maui can't be a hero because he's fat.
>>
>>84100816

Frozen is meh movie carried only by one song, milked to death because of naive soccer moms.

Zootopia is a rare case, where it made money, but Disney doesnt acknowledge it, because they dont want or don't have to.
>>
>>84100866
A lot of black movies make tons of money
>>
But he's not fat, he's buff mode/bear mode whatever it's called
>>
File: 21987[1].jpg (155 KB, 900x1362) Image search: [Google]
21987[1].jpg
155 KB, 900x1362
>>84102597
I'm talking about the people complaining on the internet in general, not the ones in the article you nerf herder.

Also pic related is the rugby player they cited.

/pol/ was right again.

I'm sorry. I couldn't resist.
>>
>>84099236
The irony is insane.
>Disney comes out with a Blonde Haired, Blue Eyed Princess and a Cherry/Strawberry Blonde Sister movie
No one bats an eye
>Disney releases any non-white Princess movie
It's racist!

Disney literally can't win, god forbid they make a lesbian/gay movie of a non-white Prince/Princess
>>
File: wipe on shirt.jpg (206 KB, 960x1073) Image search: [Google]
wipe on shirt.jpg
206 KB, 960x1073
>>84098585
>complains when women aren't fat
>complains when men are
How can people be this retarded?
>>
>>84102681
There are no people complaining about this in general, if it weren't for the article and this thread you wouldn't even know about it.

>>84102690
>I didn't read the article
I don't know, anon, maybe you should ask yourself.
>>
>>84098585
Man, I haven't seen this much anger at The Rock since he was in Toronto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHvPWaCXdnU

Though Sacramento wasn't pretty either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G8u1ErQTO0
>>
>>84102681
>JEWSON
>>
>>84102683
>>Disney comes out with a Blonde Haired, Blue Eyed Princess and a Cherry/Strawberry Blonde Sister movie
>No one bats an eye

Did you miss all the "controversy" when Frozen came out, as black people complained that the original native Nordic population were dark skinned, so the fact that Elsa and Anna weren't was racist?
>>
>>84102839
WE
>>
>>84102839
Which ones anon? How many?
>>
>>84102985
Literally one person on tumblr, who was promptly shot down by some actual Nords.
>>
>>84102985
>Which ones anon? How many?

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/disneys-frozen-whitewashing-controversy

>Frozen’s Whitewashing Controversy is an ongoing online debate surrounding the lack of people of color in Disney’s 2013 animated feature film Frozen. This debate has come to include accusations against Disney of “whitewashing” the Sámi, the indigenous people of Scandinavia.
>>
File: 1461985870808.jpg (15 KB, 227x341) Image search: [Google]
1461985870808.jpg
15 KB, 227x341
>>84102839
>the "controversy" when Frozen came out
>black people complained that the original native Nordic population were dark skinned
you've got to be kidding me
>>
>>84102839
>>84103013

God damn, black people ruin EVERYTHING.
>>
>>84103019

See >>84103013

The indigenous people of Scandanavia were brown. Else and Anna are white. Therefor Frozen is racist and anyone who enjoys it is a racist (including the children. Especially the children).
>>
I'm a native Pacific Islander and I have no problem with Maui's appearance. In fact, his body type kinda reminds me of my grand-uncle's: my grand-uncle was a Stevedor his entire live and had a large, undefined belly and fuckhuge shoulder--the belly wasn't fat at all but a mass of muscle he got from powerlifting shit day in and day out.
>>
>>84102738
>There are no people complaining about this in general, if it weren't for the article and this thread you wouldn't even know about it.

You seem very confident in knowing how I live anon. I live next to one of the biggest islander communities in the continental US. I certainly don't need an English tabloid to keep me up to date on this shit.

>>84102985
I suspect it's about westborough baptist church levels.
>>
For references that tumblr didn't make
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myVHFeyWWM0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZIU7KEis3w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2WpJHzbbpc
>>
Fat people are better than skinny people because they are stronger and can be epicer
>>
File: tumblr reacts to disney casting.png (804 KB, 640x1272) Image search: [Google]
tumblr reacts to disney casting.png
804 KB, 640x1272
>>
I remember reading somewhere that Maui was actually depicted as tall and lean in Polynesian mythology. Anybody got sauce on that? If it's common among enough nations I would definitely see the problem with taking a powerful part of their culture and degrading it into something for the sake of diverse bodies.
>>
>>84103166
What gets me the most about that whole controversy is that they think that the Sami where the natives of all of Scandinavia, when they've only been living in a rather small part of the area. The Swedes, Norwegians and Danes are all as native as the Sami. They've all lived there for thousands of years.
>>
>>84103011
>>84103013
>>84103034
so, incredibly few
>>
>>84103251
>for the sake of diverse bodies

I thought it was for the sake of making him the funny sidekick.
>>
actual Hawaiian here. Samoans are fat as fuck, everybody knows this. Nobody around here is upset at all, partially because nobody knows the movie is happening yet, because the only people who know about movies before they hit the theaters are internet-dwellers.
>>
>>84103146
Well, are the people in that community complaining about how Maui is being portrayed? Because the people complaining are also in Pacific Islander community, but in NZ.

The truth is that some people are going to complain about things, and for valid reasons. The important thing is that Disney can defend their position, thankfully the character designer has already done so.
>>
>>84103301
Oh shit if that's the case then I'd definitely take offense. I guess that bird transformation at the end of the teaser made me think he'll be more adventurous but I really don't know how they're going to balance him. Either way though, Moana's initial reaction not acknowledging him as a powerful deity or not being impressed gives me bad vibes.
>>
>>84099513
>but when they can spend $50 on food instead of $100 on a $200 weekly budget, why wouldn't they
Again with this meme. In no country in the world is junk food cheaper than staples (rice/potatoes and cheap meat like chicken).
>>
>>84103357
I think he's supposed to have been somewhat forgotten after a long period of time. He also dresses in a way older fashion, with leaves and shit,than any of the other characters, who all have weaved clothes. Him being forgotten will most likely be a plot point.
>>
>>84103452
Do you think the random-ass chicken and pig sidekicks will also be a plot point?
>>
>>84103521
No, because they are not one of the two main characters.
>>
>>84103334
kil lme
>>
File: 2011-12-11+11.25.02[1].jpg (231 KB, 856x1600) Image search: [Google]
2011-12-11+11.25.02[1].jpg
231 KB, 856x1600
>>84103013
Hmmm. I wonder what the venn diagram is of the Frozen whitewash retards vs the people complaining about this. I suspect there's a big overlap..

>>84103251
I don't remember any depiction of him that I'd call "skinny". Maybe skinny by football player standards, or a short guy like Alpha flight's Puck, or compared to the ripped hawaiian warrior images.
>>
>>84098735
>>84102334
>On 4chan
>See Brudda Iz mentioned
Man what a weird day here's some Baba B https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifPBqr0XFvk
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (15 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
15 KB, 480x360
>>84098735
It's clear that he's a design reference. It's Brudda Iz, in his skinnier days.

On a side note, it's pretty hard to find full body images of the guy, as he's so fucking huge that he screws with the picture composition if you try to fit all of him in.
>>
>>84103922
Did he die of being a fatass? I remember reading that somewhere.
>>
>>84103068
>>84103013
>>84102839
>Original natives of Scandinavia
Fuck off. The Sami are as native as anyone else from Scandinavia. They only live in the most northern region of Scandinavia. This isn't the same thing as the American natives vs European descendants in any way, shape or form. As a dane this shit pisses me the fuck off. There's never been any fucking Sami in Denmark, ever, and these fucking idiots dare say that they are more native to the region than than another group of people that have lived here for as long, if not longer, just because we don't live in small huts and shit anymore? Fuck you!
>>
>>84103947
Nah man, he died from cocaine which is actually amazing, because it would have taken a huge amount to kill him
>>
Stop body shaming Moana.
>>
>>84103947
pretty much
>>
>>84103947
Some cocaine may have been involved, but weighing 340 at his heaviest, it's safe to say being a gigantic fatass was a part as well.

That's 340 kilograms.

That's over 750 pounds, past spurdo cart mode and well into Jabba the Hut mode

>>84098735
Hell, they even made that Volcano look like him in that one short.
>>
>>84100574
Nobody sane likes Jimmy and Jey.
>>
>>84103283
Right, but Swedes, Danes, and other Norse people are descended from Germanic tribes that migrated north about two thousand years ago.
The Sami have lived in Scandinavia since the last ice age.
>>
>>84104379
>>84104076

Well, no, they aren't more native to Denmark. To parts of Sweden and Finland, yes, but not Denmark.
>>
>>84104379
>Right, but Swedes, Danes, and other Norse people are descended from Germanic tribes that migrated north about two thousand years ago.
Danes are descendants of a mix of germanic immigrants, and the natives that have been living here since the ice age too, when the region that the Sami would later come to live in was still covered in think layers of ice. Swedes and Norwegians are descendants from those people. Sami are native to the northern region, and the rest are native to the southern region. Saying that the Sami is "the original native/indigenous people" is some fucking bull shit.
>>
>>84101296

The overall claim was that it sounded like "Mammy": make of it what you will.
>>
File: -X0t_VTF.jpg (18 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
-X0t_VTF.jpg
18 KB, 300x300
>>84103334
>Samoans are fat as fuck
Say that to my face fucker not online
>>
>>84100733
Do you have a source on how much that actually costs
>>
>>84102690
He's not a man, he's a god, pay attention.
>>
>>84100733
You really don't understand islands. They can't grow crops for the most part, are expensive as fuck because they have to import and if you have money to move away you're probably already one of the wealthier folks on the island.
>>
>>84100782
You misspelled Harry Connick Jr
>>
>>84099236
>Make a movie for 14% of the US population
>Make it 2D
>It doesn't do as well as expected
DUDE 2D IS DYING
>>
>>84105299
>only black people were allowed to watch Princess and the Frog
Sure, anon. Sure.
>>
>>84098585
>as the ancient hawaiians used to say...
>>
>>84099285
that's no different from nerd heroes as a self insert getting the hot girl.
>>
File: 1454002675.jpg (210 KB, 620x412) Image search: [Google]
1454002675.jpg
210 KB, 620x412
>>84099105
>This has to be a bunch of white people making a fuss.

That's exactly what it is 100% of the time.
>>
>>84098585
Does he not have nipples?
>>
>>84105739
You know what, I finally figured out why white people have the need to do this or at least some

White People don't really have anything to defend because they've never had any problems with their race or being treated like shit or harassed or become slaves for a large period of time. They've created almost everything we ever do in life, have created some of the best eras of world.

They have no real negatives. So these people feel the need to "help" other people

None of my black, brown, tan raced friends of all backgrounds give two shits about this God and what he looks like, they even said he looks buffed as fuck. No one gives a fuck. I have friends who play Witcher and never onced were bothered that there weren't any fucking blacks in it.
>>
>>84100574
Don't worry we're getting that Triple Threat for Battleground.
>>
>>84099345
>>84099484

Scottish people fucking love seeing themselves represented in media, even as caricatures.
>>
>>84101249
I am so go fuck yourself.
>>
>>84105829
>Scottish people fucking love seeing themselves represented in media, even as caricatures.

Where DOES the stereotype of the "thrifty Scotsman" even come from? I've never met a Scot that was super greedy or hilariously cheap or anything like that.

Met a lotta jooz like that, yeah, but never a Scot.
>>
>>84102839
>>84103013
>>84103068
But Frozen had non-white characters, the trolls, which were the minorities
>>
Moana is pretty much my ideal girl, looks-wise ;_;
what a coincidence
>>
>>84105970
It's an incredibly old stereotype about how Scots are all dirt poor so they are thrifty as fuck, never throw anything out, and never use anything or spend money if they can ever help it. It's poking at how Scotland is this totally broke backwards nothing place full of sheep and misery while England was the wealthiest nation on the planet.

Tons of cartoons have been depicting that. There was a 40's looney tunes with a Scotsman who outran bugs to go get his bullet back and put it back in the gun. Scrooge McDuck was a 50's character.
>>
Can I ask you guys something. As this becomes more and more commonplace how do you guys fall asleep at night knowing that these kinds of people could be in positions of power some day? Like if you think it won't happen to you or that normal people wouldn't be stupid enough to vote for them, look at trump like this could happen to anyone anywhere how is that not terrifying
>>
>>84105970

My landlady is scottish and the biggest fucking miserly cunt possible.
>>
>>84106161
Already happened in a shitload of countries anon
>>
The Maui in Maori legends gets crushed to death in a giant vagina.
Does anyone know if this is the same as the Pacific Islands/hawaii Maui?
>>
>>84098585
"Disney keeps making princesses that don't have a realistic body type. When will they stop body shaming! REEEEEEE!"
>Disney makes thick as hell character to represent people who are not thin.
"DISNEY IS SAYING ALL POLYNESIAN PEOPLE ARE OBESE. REEEEEEEE."
>>
>>84106981
Same thing happened with Princess and the Frog
They had to shift the character around because people would complain she was too "stereotypical" or too "whitewashed". Naveen was settled on probably arab after people said it was racist that he was white or black.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPVpMxVn6mk
>>
>>84107258
I don't think they ever considered making Naveen black(nor did I hear any major complaints from people thinking it would be racist if he was black) at all though. I think they didn't want to alienate the rest of the audience by having two black leads and making it seem like it was a 'for black people only' movie. There have been studies that show that there are some people who have trouble connecting with non-white leads in movies.
>>
>>84106981
People who say quote A aren't also the same people saying quote B. I know it's hard to keep track since internet users become this constantly fluxing blob of differently labeled communities but people have their own opinions and can and will express it. People just need to learn that they can't satisfy everyone and move on, and that's probably why this won't impact Disney's developement on Moana whatsoever.
>>
>>84105299
I think the Princess and the Frog's problem was that they spent too much fucking time as frogs. I liked their human character designs so it sucked to not see much of them.
>>
Let me get in on this bitch session too.

Remember "Brave," where Merida's father was an obese Scot? Remember how all the other Scottish males were all portrayed as being daft fools? As someone of Scottish ancestry, I want to complain about these demeaning, bigoted caricatures.

Clearly it's wrong to tell stories with ethnic characters who are not perfectly average, ordinary human beings.
>>
>>84109145
>I think the Princess and the Frog's problem was that they spent too much fucking time as frogs.

Fuck you that was awesome

humans are boring
>>
>>84099236
Go away /pol/
>>
>>84098585
Social Media was a mistake
>>
>>84103379
>Again with this meme. In no country in the world is junk food cheaper than staples (rice/potatoes and cheap meat like chicken).

Suburban guy here who occasionally spends time in what I'd instantly call a ghetto.
Ghetto has lots of food options but not many raw or fresh groceries, and those that i can find are generally more expensive than fried fast-food equivalents—which are also faster to cook and don't require cooking equipment.
If I were desperate and poor, I'm just sayin', i would buy a LOT more McDonald's.
>>
>>84100440
no, they don't.
>>
>>84101147
more like Angry White People
>>
File: 1466777308931.png (36 KB, 826x654) Image search: [Google]
1466777308931.png
36 KB, 826x654
>Roman uses steriods
>>
>>84098585
>No one bitched about clawhauser

why would you, he's perfect
>>
File: tumblr_o3zz3w46n31qetxs7o1_1280.png (675 KB, 800x820) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o3zz3w46n31qetxs7o1_1280.png
675 KB, 800x820
>>84112113
Agreed.
>>
File: seriously.jpg (42 KB, 900x506) Image search: [Google]
seriously.jpg
42 KB, 900x506
>>84098585
Seriously a non issue

Motherfuckers who are mad at this seriously hasn't seen the strongest man in the world
>>
File: 290px-Roadhog-Islander.jpg (19 KB, 290x306) Image search: [Google]
290px-Roadhog-Islander.jpg
19 KB, 290x306
>>84098585
>South Pacific strongfat guy with a big hook
Huh...
>>
>>84101982
That's my secret Anon; I'm always breathing gas.
>>
>>84103234
Goddammit people are idiots.
>>
>>84107831
He.Was.From.Europe. Across the sea and all that. There are no kings that dressed like he did in america.
>>
>>84103234
This is Rami Malek all over again.
>>
>>84098585
Christ on a bike, Moana's dad is hotter than hell.
>>
>>84110493

You're white.

No one gives a shit what you think or how you feel.
>>
File: 1463623621330.gif (1 MB, 250x141) Image search: [Google]
1463623621330.gif
1 MB, 250x141
>>84098585
>beautiful at every size!
>ew fucking gross disgusting hippo man
>>
>>84098585
In the US, self entitled, politically correct, "oh-I'm-just-a-victim" always bitch about ... well, anything and everything.
The difference being that in the rest of the world, such idiots are being ignored, not given any credence.

Doesn't matter what you do, someone will always choose to be triggered. Let them, then ignore them.
>>
>>84098585
I remember there being an article (I don't think it was the guardian) about why the prince in the Princess and the Frog was hispanic. The reason being, that if they made him black people were bitching about, "oh, so she's not good enough to date a white man!?" So they made him white, and people then complained, "Oh, so black people can't be princes!?"

It's impossible to please everyone, and if you try you's just disappoint yourself.
>>
>>84098901
Anon, if you go to the gym maybe 40% of them know what they're doing.
The other 60? An even split between, "I don't wanna get huge, I just wanna get "toned," and 200+lbs people clarifying that "I wanna lose weight, but not get too skinny."
>>
>>84098585
Whenever some new movie is announced that tries to appeal to minorities, I have to imagine a crack team of SJWs running their fucking tumblr enigma machine to find a way to get offended by it and fuck it up for everyone, including the minorities.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (652 KB, 1285x987) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
652 KB, 1285x987
He's not fat, he's bearmode.

His face isn't small enough tho.
>>
>>84098585
Why does the island in the pacific ocean suffer from such a massive obesity problem anyways?
>>
>>84105299
Winnie the Pooh is for 14% of the population?
>>
>>84101296
> implying black woman can read
>>
>>84098585
>Polynesian Muscle Tank
>Obese

This fags never watched an Old Blacks rugby match,didn't they?
>>
File: I'mGonnaHakaTheShitOutOfYou.jpg (167 KB, 1528x847) Image search: [Google]
I'mGonnaHakaTheShitOutOfYou.jpg
167 KB, 1528x847
>>
>>84105820
>have created some of the best eras of world.
One person's best era is another person's tragedy. But otherwise you're spot on.

People love to get mad and feel righteous. White people can't do that with their own race, so they have to defend other races. Which members of other races usually find insulting as fuck.
>>
>>84111798
>If I were desperate and poor, I'm just sayin', i would buy a LOT more McDonald's.

There is no place in the western world where you can't buy basic shit like rice, beans and frozen vegetables for way cheaper than what a less healthy, less nutrient rich meal at McD would cost. Even stuff like canned meat and fish that you find at gas stations have better nutrient values than the "meat" at McDonald's.

The food desert myth has been debunked countless times, but leftists like keeping it alive because it gives them an excuse to keep stuffing their fat faces with burgers while complaining about businesses making them fat.

Face it, poor fatties don't eat at McDonalds and become fat because they're "desperate", they do it because they're too lazy to boil rice or open a can of tuna, and they're too dumb to figure out the value of the food they eat. That same laziness and stupidity is why they're fat and poor in the first place.
>>
>>84099285
Moana isn't fat
>>
>>84108554
>He thinks SJWs aren't almost all just 20 something privileged white girls.
>>
>>84099285
>>84121297
Moana also probably isn't going to get with Maui.
>>
>>84099410
Actual food (ingredients) are cheaper than fast food.

The issue is time, not money. Impoverished individuals often work more than one job.

But even that doesn't really matter when you can slow cook meat while you're at work and make hummus/raw veggies whenever.

Fast food tastes good because fat and salt, but people don't give a fuck about their health when it means not eating something as rewarding to our brains.
>>
>>84120139
Yeah, why do you think they called it The Tigger Movie?
>>
>>84121378
Yeah I don't cause I don't just generalize people into one big category if they say something I remotely disagree with.

The article is still dumb but it's not going to impact anything. At all. And you're gonna please everyone so why bother giving x people the time of day if you don't care what they say period.

>inb4 BUT MUH SJW MEDIA TTAKEOVER,
>>
>>84103068
>The indigenous people of Scandanavia were brown.

No, they weren't, Sami people are pale af. They're ridiculously pale.
>>
That theme song sounds pretty good
>>
>>84122542

it's gonna be a musical. hopfully carried by more than just one fucking earworm.
>>
>>84119373
#1 most eaten food is Spam. I'm not even kidding.

Prior to the advent of Spam, a lot of the food available on Hawaii is pretty fattening.
>>
>>84098901
people are too accustomed to seeing bodybuilders as the default strong body type.

They care enough to tone their muscles for looks. A true strong man looks bulky like your pic.
>>
>>84114866

99% sure Maui (the mythical person, not the Moana character) was the inspiration for this costume.
>>
>>84119373
If the stereotypes are based on everything eating fruits all day, ery day could mean a relatively high sugar intake combined with an increasingly sedimentary lifestyle.
i.e. the same thing that happened to other 49 states?
>>
File: moana loss.jpg (97 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
moana loss.jpg
97 KB, 500x375
>this far in the thread and it still hasn't been posted
>>
>>84105820
> they've never had any problems with their race [...] being harassed
lol
> [...] or become slaves
-did it to themselves all the god damn time
> they've created almost everything we ever do in life
lol

That's some grade-school level history education right there
>>
>>84106161
Same thing I feel about neo nazis or commies taking power one day.

You fight for fundamental freedoms, for the rights people you don't even agree with, and for people who hate you.

>>84119373
One is culture. Two. If you can talk evolutionary biology without getting triggered, there's a super hard cap on food production on small islands. And transport and trade between islands takes a massive amount of time and muscle power between resupply.

That strongly favors a hyper efficient metabolism that can store enough food energy internally to suvive kon-tiki distances.

Add in modern high calorie density food, and modern ship motors, and the result is a 95 percent morbid obesity rate on some islands.

>>84120639
I was told by a samoan longshoreman that a correct response to any out of touch nu male complainers was the Hakka.

>>84123002
It's like saying the slavs know nothing about slavery.
>>
>>84110493

> Remember how all the other Scottish males were all portrayed as being daft fools? As someone of Scottish ancestry, I want to complain about these demeaning, bigoted caricatures.

Anon, that was merely art imitating reality.
>>
>>84119340
WE NEED TO GO smaller
>>
>>84122966
Wait, did they really put that image on a news site?
>>
>>84098585
"According to 2014 data from the World Health Organisation nine of the ten most obese nations in the world are Pacific Islands."
Fucking lmao
Thread replies: 240
Thread images: 42

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.