[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has it happened to you yet, /co/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 14
File: abe.jpg (132 KB, 1252x1252) Image search: [Google]
abe.jpg
132 KB, 1252x1252
Has it happened to you yet, /co/?
>>
PPG and Ben 10 reboots are the only things that actually bother me when it comes to cartoons.
With comics, that is a different mess I don't want to get into.
>>
What's with YouTube and Twitch? Why are people watching people play something?
>>
Yep (The Bravest Warriors ep Dan before time)
>>
>>84010881
I dont delude myself, i was never cool
>>
Sure. Twitch streaming, Vine, that show with the gem people.
>>
>>84011763
This. Also, people using "kek".
>>
File: beta uprising.png (71 KB, 185x234) Image search: [Google]
beta uprising.png
71 KB, 185x234
>>84010881
>Dabbing
>Minecraft
>Streams where you watch people open stuff
>those """"hoverboards""""
I don't understand
>>
In music? Kind of, but I was never really "with it"
>>
>>84011692
>>
File: bob ponders about life.jpg (109 KB, 400x364) Image search: [Google]
bob ponders about life.jpg
109 KB, 400x364
Ten years ago I could relate with anyone, now I feel like I'm a alien.
>>
>>84011692
This
>>
>music - minimalist electrofolk verse, anthemic-hook chorus
right around the time "phil collins song on xanax" became the go-to indie-pop formula. I keep trying to get in to new stuff but everything sounds like the same song.
>the social media era of identity politics and "activism"
I've always been to the left of most people I know, but Occupy and BLM, the whole gamergate/games media web implosion, and comics turning in to webcomic soapboxes without the "but the art is amazing" that people like Dave Sim could hide behind decades ago have all soured me to the entire discussion.
>movies
Everything that happened in the wake of LotR and the Matrix series. Big budget popcorn movies became cartoon commercials for pre-existing franchises.

>>84011351
I actually kind of enjoy the occasional LP or stream. Everything is so fragmented and personalized nowadays that you can't really count on your immediate peer group to be in to the same media as you. Even though the "friend simulator" refrain is intended as an attack on fans of the genre, where else am I gonna chat with 30-100 other people, live, with a broadcaster that responds to the conversation, in a show focused around an indie game or movie. There aren't night clubs for this shit.
>>
>>84010881
Yes, my gronch fell off.
>>
>>84013253
>>84011351
>>84011763
>unintended 2/2
Think of them as storytime threads.

Yeah. You could just read it yourself, but then you loose the sense of community that comes from shouting about it at strangers on the internet.

>>84011889
unboxing is dumb as fuck though, and the dab/vape/e-cig "smoker of the future" trend makes me laugh.
>>
>>84013145
i remember when spongebob did not exist
>>
Bae, fleek and Snapchat all elude me.

I'm the right age to be into instagram because all my friends are, but I don't do very much besides work and when I'm doing something interesting I'm too busy doing it to remember to wave my social media dick about it.

/co/wise, I don't even know because I just read old comics and watch reruns on Netflix. Everything about current Marvel and cartoons I know because I watch you guys get mad about it instead of getting mad about it myself.
>>
>>84010881
Yes. Puhlease make it stop!!
>>
ITT a bunch of 25 year old outcasts act like they were ever hip to begin with
>>
>>84010881
I can see the writing on the wall.
>>
Yes. Specially about how abusive ships are now "wrong".

We spend the last 30 years shipping Megatron with Starscream, and now suddenly it's promoting violence or something?
>>
>>84010881
I have 22 year old coworkers who haven't seen Spongebob or Ghostbusters.

It has absolutely happened
>>
File: 1431826670673.jpg (22 KB, 444x322) Image search: [Google]
1431826670673.jpg
22 KB, 444x322
>Netflix and chill
This pisses me off so much. If you have one, you don't need the other! s-m-h-t-b-h-f-a-m.
>>
>>84011351
>>84011763

Yeah, livestreaming shit. I just can't understand how that could appeal to anyone. I'm 31 so I'm an old now, but why the fuck would anyone want to watch someone else play an entire video game?

>>84013349
>but then you loose the sense of community that comes from shouting about it at strangers on the internet.

Why the fuck would you want that? "Sense of community"? Are kids these days both pussies and retarded?
>>
>>84013724
I know the stereotype of 4chan is a basement-dwelling virgin, but come on anon

"Netflix and chill" just means an excuse to invite someone over for sex. It's the modern equivalent of "Do you want to come in and have some coffee?"
>>
File: 1402798733629.jpg (104 KB, 438x400) Image search: [Google]
1402798733629.jpg
104 KB, 438x400
>>84013823
>Are kids these days both pussies and retarded?
And "Progressive".
>>
>>84013501
There's being unhip and then there's waking up from cryosleep into a fully realized Idiocracy.
>>
>>84013823
I'm 25 and I can't understand why anyone would play a video game.
>>
I don't know whether I've outgrown them or they've just gotten bad, but both of the Big 2 have in my opinion just turned to shit in the last 5+ years. After the near-total collapse of the industry in the mid-late 90s, the 2000s saw a lot of good stuff arise that seemed to have petered out by the beginning of this decade.

And I'm not talking about "SJW"/"PC" stuff /co/ gets so assblasted about. I don't really care about any of that, and actually don't mind them trying new stuff like Thor being a woman. I mean the writing has just taken a nosedive.
>>
>>84013823
> kids these days

Book clubs have been a thing since forever.
>>
>>84013907
I mean like can't kids today just play a game themselves without an audience or a "community"?

I think growing up with social media has fucked people up and now they can't even function without constant validation.
>>
>>84013950
Book clubs aren't about live-reading books.

You read the book beforehand then get together to discuss it.
>>
>>84013429
>bae
honey
>on fleek
looking good
>snapchat
send pictures and videos, but have them disappear after a few seconds so you don't have to save a ton of shit

how is this hard
>>
>>84013937
It's because you missed the glorious Golden Age from the NES-PS2. You grew up in the shit 2000s and thus know video games as only a wasteland of shit.
>>
File: 1415989073154.png (214 KB, 652x624) Image search: [Google]
1415989073154.png
214 KB, 652x624
>>84013865
I'm now imagining some weeb going up to a girl like "Y-you wanna come over and see what anime is on Netflix? I heard Fate/Stay Night was good..."
>>
>>84013974
Not only has social media fucked people up, but also the constant rewarding. You have access to everything instantly now and people use it on stupid shit because it makes them feel good. It's just meaningless stupid shit constantly being thrown at your brain at high speed. Just look at something stupid like that fucking Chewbacca mask video and how many views it got.
>>
>>84014001
Because "bae" and "fleek" aren't real words, unlike "hone" and "looking good". They're gibberish for morons.

And people shouldn't be so self-absorbed and narcissistic that they're sending so many pictures that not storing them becomes a problem.

How about doing something and, like, not filming yourself doing it? Is that something people can even do anymore?
>>
>>84014026
I loved NES. After that it all kinda went to shit.
>>
>>84014067
Bae and fleek are sounds people make that confer a meaning. I think they're silly words, but modern linguistics says that they are indeed words.
>>
>>84014081
Also an acceptable answer.

I think the entire 90s produced a ton of great games, but I admire your devotion to purity.
>>
The obesity is okay movement. When I was a kid you were told thats not healthy and to get exercise.
>>
>>84013974
>I think growing up with social media has fucked people up and now they can't even function without constant validation.
Researchers have dubbed it Extended Chill Effect: essentially, a user is under permanent vigilance and everything they do is recorded. That creates a climate in which freedom of speech and of thought are stifled by the user him-/herself voluntarily and before he/she actually says anything.

Of course, liberals call that "empathy".

Having just finished SMT3 a while ago, I'd call it Shijima.
>>
>>84014067
People buy things so they can show other people what they bought. Not because they actually want it, they just want the attention they get from owning it.
>>
I knew I was old when Twitter launched. I didn't understand it then and can't understand it now.

I don't understand why you'd want to use such a restricted means of communication. I don't understand why you'd want to tell the world every single thing you do and think.

And I just can't follow Twitter conversations at all. I see pictures of them and I can't tell who is talking to who or which one is first.
>>
File: 1434409606943.png (279 KB, 540x549) Image search: [Google]
1434409606943.png
279 KB, 540x549
>>84014090
I used to think 'bae' was a short for 'baby'. But apparently it's an anagram for Before Anyone Else.
>>
>>84014098

That's just the pendulum effect. During the 50's, being a little fatter (but not obese) was good because it meant you could actually afford food.

Now thinner is good because it means you can afford to follow the medical and/or fashion progresses that it implies.
>>
>>84014101
Somehow I managed to, say, eat a fucking meal without taking a picture and showing my friends before Snapchat. I managed to do activities and live without recording and transmitting every moment.

I know that sounds unbelievable, but it really is possible. Try it sometime.
>>
>>84014161
>Now thinner is good
Being thin isn't good anymore. It's "body-negative".

https://www.google.com/#q=obesity+is+good
>>
>>84014135
It's not.

It's a shortened form of "babe" that as it became popular people retroactively made up a folk etymology for.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backronym
>>
>>84014101
Thats a sad sad existence you are living if you only buy things to show people.
>>
>>84014273
But that's how people these days think. It's totally fucked up.
>>
>>84014221

People can say what they want, but the fashion industries, medical communities and general population still say so.

Body positivity is just a very loud minority.
>>
>>84014056
>>84014101
>>84014162
Current society is a society of narcissists. However proud and egotistic the previous generations were, this one has social media allowing for instant satiation of their appetites, which encourages them, and having been raised by doting, GenY parents, who coddled them from early in their childhoods.

Hence why everyone gets "Offended" all the time. The developed world got filled with a whole generation of people with egos about as large as fragile.
>>
>>84014124
I didn't get Twitter at first, but then I realized it is great for humor.
The 140 character limit creates little jokes and puns that only work in such a medium. Take pic related (Not the funniest tweet, I'll admit, but it's the first one I could find in my pictures folded)

And judging by the fact you're giving your 2 cents on a public forum, I think you can understand why people would want to put their opinion out there.

But yea, the conversations are confusing as fuck.
>>
>>84014273
People have always been that way, e.g. "conspicuous consumption".

The problem today is that social media takes our worst impulses like conspicuous consumption and amplifies them. Now you can transmit anything to the whole world and get instant feedback whereas even a few decades ago that wasn't possible and there was a limit to the feedback loop.

Social media is like social heroin: instant, massive gratification of our primal social urges but insanely addictive for that reason.
>>
>>84010881

I was never with it but I became more and more jaded the year Facebook became popular, also mobile and smart phones.
>>
>>84014345
>And judging by the fact you're giving your 2 cents on a public forum, I think you can understand why people would want to put their opinion out there.

I can, but not constantly, and not about every thought that crosses my mind. People seem to like to tweet almost everything they think or say.
>>
I just don't get what social media turned into.

Facebook, I understand. It's basically the answer to "whatever happened to (person I used to know)?", and it allows us to keep in contact with people we like, but can't always see.

Twitter, kind of. It's shit but it's basically just normalfag, 140 character 4chan, with faces. Everyone can talk to anyone and everyone chases (you)s, which are now retweets.

But I cannot, for the life of me, understand how Instagram, Vine AND Snapchat are all extremely popular, when they all seem to do the exact same thing. Wouldn't one of them win outright, like what happened with MySpace and Facebook?
>>
>>84014345
That image you posted isn't funny at all. Your generation doesn't even know what humor is. 4chan is nothing like twitter cause it gives you no validation. You are anonymous. All that matters is what you say and you'll never get recognition for it.
>>
>>84013823
>why the fuck would anyone want to watch someone else play an entire video game?

games with a lot of cutscenes are like a lite movie. kind of has a story but you don't have to pay as much attention.

also, it reminds me of childhood times where someone else was in the room playing games. comforting thing to hear.
>>
>>84014420
See, I don't understand you, and a lot of other people think Twitter is just "LOL JUST ATE A SKITTLE, SEND! LOL JUST ATE ANOTHER, SEND!"
I'm sure some fuckwits with >30 followers and celebrities tweet that kinda shit, but if you follow the right people you see some genuinely funny stuff.
>>
>>84014499
You get immediate, temporary gratification. Make a good joke and you're gratified by some replies with reaction images, or if it's good enough, immortalization via screencapping.
>>
>>84014494
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z70V7K7GUU
>>
File: 1451638030243.jpg (179 KB, 480x800) Image search: [Google]
1451638030243.jpg
179 KB, 480x800
>>84014499
Quick question, are you the guy who posted pic related?

You two sound a lot alike.
>>
File: 1451421721956.jpg (165 KB, 439x550) Image search: [Google]
1451421721956.jpg
165 KB, 439x550
>>84011692
Same here.
>>
>>84014507

>games with a lot of cutscenes are like a lite movie. kind of has a story but you don't have to pay as much attention.

Then watch just the cut scenes on YouTube or something. Why would I want to see some asshole actually play through a game just to see the movies?

>also, it reminds me of childhood times where someone else was in the room playing games. comforting thing to hear.

I loved that feeling. That was the best, which is why the 80s-90s was the Golden Age of games. Sitting around with your friends playing GoldenEye was the shit.

Sitting by yourself listening to strangers talk in an earpiece is just sad. People who grew up with this are dead inside.
>>
>>84014499
>implying 4chan gives no validation

>He doesn't know about the (you) counter option in 4chanX
>>
>>84014615
>Why would I want to see some asshole actually play through a game just to see the movies?
like many mediocre things, it's something to have on while doing other things, at least for me
>>
>>84014545
Thats pathetic and for your personal knowledge only.

>>84014570
I don't sound like that guy at all. Hes being an ass for no reason. I'm sorry I triggered you because twitter is nothing but an ego stroke.

>>84014621
I didn't know about the (you) counter. That is pretty sad but my point still stays. Your name isnt attached to something everyone can see and that you can revisit time and time again.
>>
>>84014659
also, the personality of the person is relelvant. some people make funny commentary. with a bad game you'd never sit through yourself, it's basically MST3000.
>>
File: mega_man_helmet.jpg (71 KB, 463x710) Image search: [Google]
mega_man_helmet.jpg
71 KB, 463x710
>>84014676
>that entire post
You sound EXACTLY like that guy, my dude.
>>
>>84014676
>Your name isnt attached to something everyone can see and that you can revisit time and time again.
it's enough to know people thought you said something funny. like a stranger complimenting you on the street.
>>
>>84014711
I didn't claim 4chan was any kind of "real discussion". Its just that your name isn't attached to anything and entire threads are being deleted in minutes. Its not like twitter where everyone can see how many retweets you got on an ebin tweet for all time.

I'm sorry you are like 18 years old and this upsets you so much. That stuff rots your brain and makes you socially inept.
>>
By my junior year of undergrad back in 2012. I'm 23 and I can't relate to people 5 years younger than me.
>>
>>84014067
>i'm scared by slang and invented words
I know you're old but surely you can't be older than Shakespeare.
>>
>>84010881
With Star Wars because of TFA.

It feels like they took my "thing" from me and gave it to unsuspecting children and teens.

This must be how old Trekkies feel about NuTrek (RIP Yelchin).
>>
>>84014908
>This must be how old Trekkies feel about NuTrek (RIP Yelchin).

This was exactly what happened and now I'm glad that Star Wars fans get to share my pain.
>>
I'm still 18 for about a month. Ask me anything.
>>
>>84010881
21 in November, I'm still with what the kids are into
>>
>>84014908
It's how my wife, who's an "old Trekkie" felt after Stark Trek Voyager and Enterprise
>>
I'm pretty sure I stopped understanding anyone younger than me the moment I hit 16. Its a really, really weird feeling. I work with people younger than me sometimes and their world views and opinions are legit mind boggling to me a lot of the time. Its like they've all been replaced with aliens or something.
>>
>>84014944
>>84015134
I'm just turning 30 which makes me supposedly a millennial. But am I supposed to relate to Kylo Ren or something because he looks about my age? Because all I see is a poorly written brat who ruined the universe and the franchise by existing. It's like the makers knew they could never live up to Vader and decided to go super meta, but that means the villain has zero credibility, let alone presence.

You can't build a new trilogy on that, but they will try. To think that we had Christopher Lee once, and then this. Christ.
>>
>>84011692
dang son, even /r9k/ called it
>>
>>84015254
George did nothing with Lee so the tie-ins had to flesh him out but he oozed presence.
>>
>>84011351

I still follow some LPs and people who stream stuff because they're legitimately funny and/or good at showing off games.

But I can't understand how some of the most popular YouTube LPers got such a following when they're utter shit.
>>
>>84015254
I thought kylo ren was supposed to be a 15 year old angsty teenager?
>>
>>84015409
And the film sucks because of it

Same as Eisenlex
>>
File: heh.jpg (18 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
heh.jpg
18 KB, 480x360
>movie theaters are a joke
>nobody goes to the library to read books
>cross-dressers and gays can't be funny
>people are drinking rotten juice
>every last bit of integrity has been bled out of journalism
>kid's attentions spans are practically nonexistent
>anyone with a phone is a food critic
>fall isn't cold anymore
>coral reefs are dying off
>donald trump has the republican nomination
>the last Olympics were crap and the next are going to be even shittier
>my back hurts
>>
>>84011889
Unbixing I can see as a kind of consumer review
>>
I took a photo with a camera of my tablet screen because I don't now how to get a screen shot.
>>
>>84015596
>rotten juice
wine?
>>
>>84015906

Kombucha
>>
>>84011763
>>84011351
I appreciate what twitch has done from a business standpoint. I find it incredibly interesting that they've managed to build a community around the audience paying an entertainer just for the sake of paying the entertainer rather than for some reward.

I do think that the focus on gaming is fucking dumb, but you take what you can get. At least they seem to be expanding into the realm of art.
>>
>>84010881
i was never with it. i was mever cool. i never wanted to be with it.

if i were with it i would have ended up as a /co/mblrite or worse, tumblrite.
>>
>>84016509
>/co/mblrite or worse, tumblrite.
Neither of these things have ever been with it.
>>
File: the children are wrong.jpg (44 KB, 500x534) Image search: [Google]
the children are wrong.jpg
44 KB, 500x534
>>84010881
Nope.
>>
>>84011889
>>Streams where you watch people open stuff
How else are going to know how much of a ripoff Lootcrate is?
>>
>>84016509
Judging by the way you talk, at least you totally got the first part down
Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.