[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone feel like having two Spider-men in the same universe
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6
File: image.png (164 KB, 540x250) Image search: [Google]
image.png
164 KB, 540x250
Does anyone feel like having two Spider-men in the same universe slightly devalues the identity of both characters and diminishes the legacy aspect. If 20 years from Marvel decides to make a gay Spider-man it would kind of make the title feel kind of cheap and irrelevant by having third guy with the name.
>>
As someone who grew up in the 90s it feels like there have always been tons of Spider-Men and -Women around so not really.

Short answer but I don't really have any thought more complex than that.
>>
>>84002759
The only practical solution would just to be make the existing spider men gay for each other
>>
>>84002773
ok
>>
>>84002759
like everything Bendis ever did on USM, Miles is a shitty retread

in this case, the aftermath of the Clone Saga
>>
File: image.gif (2 MB, 245x188) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2 MB, 245x188
I don't like Bendis at all but the more Spideys the better IMO. Should be like a hundred variations running around and they'll replace inhumans/mutants. Jameson would be freaking out.
>>
>>84002768

>I don't really have any thought more complex than that.

Trust me, we know.
>>
>>84002759
I just wish Miles has his own name.
I know he WAS SPiderman in his own universe, but in 616 there already is one. Now I have to specify "oh, no, I mean the BLACK one", and that just makes you sound racist even though all Im fucking doing Janet is describing the fucking suit you insufferable piece of shit fuck you.
>>
>>84002759

YES! Make Mile's Spider-Boy, Peter's Sidekick.

It's not like Robin and Speedy don't exist. What's so wrong with him having an apprentice of sorts?

>>84002876

Change his name to Race Bait since that's what he's good at.
>>
>>84002759

he should have had a different name

that would fix everything
>>
>>84002759
Well it devalues it more having peter being the other Tony stark at the same time. What's shitty is that peter isn't the little guy in a big town any more and they turned him into something he's not. They had to make him Spock to make it happen. The thing is its just gonna come crumbling down and retconned. It feels like a waste of time. A waste of drama with MJ and Black cat, and a waste of time making new villian that won't stick.
>>
>>84002759
It's not like the Super-family devalued Superman, despite what people thought at the time.
>>
>>84002759
It's your fault if you are either a)still buying Spider-man after One More Day, b)not waiting for Slott to fuck off already, d) pretend Miles exists (I mean, what would really change if he just disappeared).
>>
>>84002917
can't call a black kid "boy"
you know that would be racist, even though there are tons of boy side kicks.
>>
>>84002876
>Now I have to specify "oh, no, I mean the BLACK one", and that just makes you sound racist even though all Im fucking doing Janet is describing the fucking suit you insufferable piece of shit fuck you.

It made me laugh when they did that story where Miles was complaining about being pigeon-holed as "the black spider-man". Dude, you're almost indistinguishable from regular spider-man but for the costume. Its not even like you have the excuse that it was made for you like in Ultimate... wait a sec, how did Miles get his costume and reason to go do spider-manning in the new combined universe? Was it ever explained?
>>
I know I'm being delusional, but I really hope they bring back Yost to finish off Kaine and Aracely's story, after The Clone Conspiracy thing is over.
>>
>>84002949

Hence why his name should be Race Bait. Because you can't do anything with him without someone yelling "RACIST!" somewhere.

If Marvel's not going to jump on the name Spider-Boy I guess I'll use it in my own OC I'm writing. Pssshhhh... Shit it could be "Spider-Boi" too it's not like African American men do not refer to each other and themselves as "boi".
>>
>>84002923
ARACHNID KID
WE SHALL DUB HIM ARACHNIG NIG
>>
One of my big complaints with Marvel, and what is probably an unpopular opinion, is that there are far too many knock-offs and legacy characters.

She-Hulk? Spider-Woman? Silk? U.S Agent? Unnecessary clutter to the continuity that just devalue the original.
>>
>>84002964

Yeah how the fuck does that even work? "I'm from a different universe" Isn't Mile's still a kid? Does he go school and be like "yeah I have no paper work of me existing or no social security number because I'm from a whole other universe." It's gotta be awkward.
>>
>>84003007
The Molecule Man integrated him into a not-shit universe and brought his mother back to life. I think social security numbers would be pretty easy to always have been there.
>>
Two flashes existed side by side for quite along time
>>
No. I think it just affects Miles.
>>
How long until we have two or more of each hero? There's three Spider-men (Pete, Miles, Miguel), two Captain Americas, two Thors (whoops I mean Thor and Whor I mean Odinson and Thor), two Ant-men and two Wasps.
>>
>>84002759
But there's not just two.
Plenty of room for both Peter and Miguel, though. As for Miles, I see him just as a supporting character who doesn't really get in the way of the books I read because I'm not sitting through Bendis writing to see what his real story is.

I guess if it were up to me he'd use a different name, but I can't give enough of a fuck about him to be bothered by his name choice.
>>
Marvel is shit. That's all guys . Move on with your life.
>>
File: 200% menace.jpg (82 KB, 350x600) Image search: [Google]
200% menace.jpg
82 KB, 350x600
>>84002759
The fact that Miles wants to be known as spider-man when the creator of the fucking name is still using it, and still complains that people find another way to identify him is ridiculously entitled, and shows that he's too lazy/un-creative to bother coming up with his own name.
It's not like Miguel, who literally pretends to be PP spider-man wearing a different suit, simply to keep a low profile before he eventually returns.
>>
>>84003007
>>84002964
Bendis said everything got sorted out in the 8 month gap
Including all the mental trauma miles went through knowing that all his friends, family, fucking universe was destroyed and he's now living with recreations in an entirely different world.
>>
>>84002759
This isn't the first time we've had two Spider-men. It's not even the second time. And I'm not even talking about times where it just lasted for a few issues.
>>
>>84003271
Two Wolverines and Two Hawkeyes (still)

Was gonna say four hulks but Rulk got depowered and Shulkie is dead.
>>
>>84003453
that doesnt mean the OP's not wrong
>>
>>84002759
Miles should become Spider-Boy and wear a cool jacket.

And be written by someone other than Bendis for once.

Maybe then he'd become cool.
>>
>>84003271

> Two Thors

I STILL don't understand this. Thor isn't a superhero. That's just the guy's name!

It sounds like a totally cheap marketing decision. How the fuck could it ever be justified in universe?
>>
>>84003271
There's already more than that for Spider-Man, given Kaine is identical but red and with anger issues. Venom and derivatives are pretty close conceptually, as are Spider-Woman and Silk. If you add in alternate universes you get things like Spider-Gwen as well.

There's shit loads of Spider people.

>>84003438
See, knowing that I'm living surrounded by what are essentially clones of some of the people I loved with similar-ish memories (but not, say, my mentor Jessica), while the real deal have gone to whatever afterlife exists , would probably destroy me, but whatever.
>>
Spiderman and Spiderman will team up now that Mrs Marvel is working for Mrs. Marvel, wonder if Nova will share his helmet with Nova since Nova saved Nova or Thor will get back with Thor or if Wolverine and Wolverine will work together and if Captain America will be forced to take down Captain America
>>
>>84003472
"Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor!"

We had 3 Thors once and people hardly cared back then.

> Thor isn't a superhero. That's just the guy's name!
Also your moviefag is showing.
>>
>>84003438
Would Miles have even gone through that trauma? Does he even know he's not from 616? I was under the impression that he and the rest of his supporting cast that were brought over have had their histories altered to be as though they always existed there.
>>
>>84002759

No, and here's why: we can FINALLY have Peter develop into a mature hero without worrying Quesada will call on the Devil to return him to factory settings, AND a teenage Spider-Man.
>>
>>84003467
Yes it does.

> universe slightly devalues the identity of both characters and diminishes the legacy aspect.

Apparently not because it's happened so many times now and people, such as OP, are only just now thinking it's going to be an issue.
>>
>>84002873
For people to have complex thoughts on western comics western comics would have to become complex first.
>>
>>84003507
The POWER of Thor. Not the name of Thor. Not the identity of Thor. The power.
>>
>>84002949
How about Brown Recluse?
>>
>>84003487
>See, knowing that I'm living surrounded by what are essentially clones of some of the people I loved with similar-ish memories (but not, say, my mentor Jessica), while the real deal have gone to whatever afterlife exists , would probably destroy me, but whatever.

It'd be a real interesting idea to tackle. Something Bendis doesn't want to bother touching, nor would I want him to because I don't expect him to handle it appropriately.

Like imagine if we had a book about Ultimate Cap, as one of the only survivors of the Ultimate universe. Once again leaving the world he knew behind, only this time he wasn't waking up in the future, it's a world that never was his and never will be. And instead of him becoming "Captain America" it dealt more with him trying to find a place in this world and dealing with that shit.
>>
DC has a whole list of characters who went crazy going through what miles did. How would be not? Super boy prime was never right in the head after losing his universe
>>
File: butt.jpg (378 KB, 898x681) Image search: [Google]
butt.jpg
378 KB, 898x681
>>84003537
Previous examples say otherwise.

It also says if you hold it and are worthy you get the power, then later they changed it to you not even being able to pick it up if you weren't worthy, yet the oath stays the same.

And nobody cared before, because like now, Odinson was still around. But now we're in the Outrage Era of comics, where people on tumblr, twitter and /co/ who don't read shit whine as if they matter.
>>
>>84003515
Nope, Bendis stated that this Miles is the one from the ultimate universe. Everything that happened to him in the ultimate line still happened.
>>
how about re-naming him Mary Sue Watson
>>
>>84003637
Did he just go super saiyan?
>>
>>84003609
>>84003609
I don't care that other people are called Thor that part makes sense, but him losing his named doesn't. Odin is proof enough that ___son is meant to be a last name. Odin losing his power didn't change his name nit even when the power changed names,
>>
>>84003650
Nah, he just unlocked the electrical powers he gets as a black super hero
>>
>>84003438
Translation - "Who gives a shit about plot details, it's more important that BLACK PEOPLE have a BLACK SPIDERMAN to idolize, all thanks to me, BRIAN MICHEAL BENDIS."
>>
>>84002759
>Does anyone feel like having two Spider-men in the same universe slightly devalues the identity of both characters and diminishes the legacy aspect

That's exactly a big reason why i still can't stand Miles

I mean, the other anons are right, there have always been lotsa Spiders around, but Miles certainly has the less organic entrance of them all imo. First in the Ultimate universe he just happens to be another nerdy kid that's bitten by the same exact spider that bit Peter, then he just happened to have a burger in his spider-pockets, and now in the new (still blurry) canon he just so happens to be a kid that got spider-powers and decided to call himself Spiderman in a time where Spiderman was still alive and kicking
>>
>>84003562
It would be interesting, especially as the "existing" Cap is very different from him in history and temperament. He's alone again, in a universe that has not only left behind people like himself but wasn't even his to begin with. The only people he could talk to about this are Maker Reed and Miles, and they don't want to because they, repectively, are nuts or have got a good thing going and don't want to engage with the existential dread.

Given that there's this whole life for Miles that fits in 616 with parents and most of his non-superhero related friends, one has to wonder whether the Ultimate universe Miles just took over the life of a pre-existing 616 Miles. Like, there's a Peter Parker in both worlds, an MJ and a Gwen Stacy, and all of them, but the Ultimate ones didn't survive despite being sometimes very different people. If the pattern follows, there was a Miles + family + support cast in 616, but they don't appear to have been duplicated. The obvious way to square that, to me, would be if Molecule Man just erased the 616 Miles and plugged the Ultimate one into the resulting gap.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.