[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thought on this film? Also, Bakshi thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: p5812_p_v8_aa.jpg (689 KB, 960x1440) Image search: [Google]
p5812_p_v8_aa.jpg
689 KB, 960x1440
Thought on this film?
Also, Bakshi thread
>>
Films pretty neat. It made me love the underbelly culture of new York from the 40's to the 70s.
Also, Ralph has a lot of amazing animated film under his belt. If it weren't for fritz the cat, Animation would have remained "kid Disney stuff". So he's relevant as fuck to animation. I don't really see his stuff get brought up a lot in animation discussions but he belongs on the mt. Rushmore of animation
>>
>>83945937
I'll watch it when it comes out on NOTvhs.
>>
>>83946218
Sadly, that is not entirely true.

While is always employed "adult" themes, half the time they weren't "mature" ones. He rarely went beyond the "sex & violence" definition of adult. The man was, and still is, fascinated with the ghetto. So he makes movies about the ghetto. Seedy for seedy's sake.
>>
Good shit, I wonder how the guy was able to just stand in one place for hours on end on the off chance of bumping into a chick. Then again I guess it wasn't like he had anything better to do.
>>
>>83947136
*while he
>>
>>83945937
masterpiece
>>
What's happening with Coney Island?
>>
>>83945937
bump so I can type a response before it flatlines.
>>
>>83945937
I haven't seen it but I liked American Pop. I loved it the first two times I watched it, but the last time I watched it I didn't enjoy it as much.
>>
>>83945937

I liked it. I was watching through Bakshi's catalog in order and it came out as a nice break during his "rotoscoping era". I suppose it helps that much of the film was completed a decade earlier, so the reason it felt like a throwback to his early 70s stuff is because it WAS from his early 70s stuff.

While it hits a lot of the same beats as his urban stories, at least it avoids some of the fetishes that were getting really tired ('large women). And as far as rotoscoping goes, the breakdancing sequence is the only one that sticks out and it looked pretty good.

The ending, though, is some crap. "I'm ___ and you're ____!" Did the character really need to explain that to the audience? Like we couldn't have deduced their identities on our own? Did Bakshi think it was too confusing and audiences wouldn't be able to follow?

That ending leaves a bad taste in your mouth on the first viewing, but it gets better a second time when you know to expect it.
>>
>>83949852
>What's happening with Coney Island?

Done. Sent to Kickstarter backers.

The fact that no one has put it online yet might tell you about how impressive it is. From what I've read, there's very limited animation, it's only a couple minutes long and it isn't very good.
>>
>>83947136
I think he can still be respected as a trailblazer and pioneer though, even if you believe he's works don't really stand the test of time or really passible to begin with.

Without his contribution to the medium it's doubtful western adult animation ( in every sense of the word) would really be a thing at all. So we do have that to be thankful for.
>>
>>83947136
>he man was, and still is, fascinated with the ghetto. So he makes movies about the ghetto. Seedy for seedy's sake.

Eh, that's a bit disingenuous.

Bakshi really tried branching out in the late 70s and early 80s when he got into that fantasy cycle.

Lord of the Rings for all its rotoscoping faults managed to streamline the story of the first two books fairly well (so much so that Jackson pretty much used it as a blueprint for streamlining his films). I suppose that's more a credit to the screenwriter than Bakshi, but at least he was doing something other than "Jews and Blacks living in the inner city and having adventures".

Fire & Ice is generic Fantasy 101 stuff; so utterly unremarkable it hurts.

Wizards was the best blend of his style of humor and characterization along with fantasy elements. Not as much rotoscoping as his 80s stuff, either, which was a mercy.

American Pop isn't really a ghetto movie, either. It has poor people, but they aren't the same kind of poor people from Fritz or Heavy Traffic or Coonskin or Good Lookin. I think it's major problem is that it's a decent period drama vignette film that's only remarkable because it's animated (and "animated" is a stretch since it's all rotoscope). The movie uses animation as a gimmick to mask what's only an "okay" script.

Cool World is hot garbage.
>>
>>83945937
Roz hourglass figure was ridiculous
>>
>>83945937
good shit
>>
>>83952778
I love the part where Bob Seger music triumphs over punk music. Because it turned out like that for reals, right?
>I'm being sarcastic. American Pop is his worst movie.
>>
Fritz the cat is a pleasent suprise. I was expecting it to be edgy for the sake of "adult cartoons". It was fun. I'd like to see /co/ discuss it more
>>
>>83954313
>Fritz the cat is a pleasent suprise. I was expecting it to be edgy for the sake of "adult cartoons".

If you want to see THAT, watch the sequel Bakshi had no hand in (Nine Lives of Fritz). It's full of gore and swearing and farting and a Jew eats a log of shit and it's so fuckin awful.

Fritz is a good movie about a character who is inherently a bad person trying to find a "revolution" and ultimately realizing he was better off the way he was at the start. He was just full of his own shit, thinking he needed to radically change his life when he was already happy.

I like how Fritz is such an awful, self absorbed hypocrite in the film. You hate him, but kind of like him because we're all just as phony as he is, at the end of the day.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.